Topic poll

“Which pin would you rather see in your home lineup?”

• Star Wars Pro 29 votes
    51%
  • Game of Thrones pro 28 votes
    49%

(57 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Looking to put a Stern NIB in the game room. Big fan of Game of Throne Pro. Always play it when I see it on location. That said, Star Wars is my dream theme, and from what I've heard, from a rules POV, it's a direct evolution of Game of Thrones. Of course they also both have that Steve Ritchie fan layout, which only furthers the comparison.

Anyways, for those of you who have owned, or played both extensively, would love to get your opinion as to where my money is better spent. GoT or SW?

Looking at the Pro models, BTW. Thanks in advance for your input!

#2 6 years ago

Here's my take on it. I personally think Both games are good but I like GOT better, but SW is your dream theme so it's hard not to go with your dream theme right? Also with SW you get your dream theme and the new LCD display which is pretty awesome. The only thing that scares me about SW right now is there does "possibly" seem to be a problem with ghosting on the playfields. If it were me and I wanted a SW I think I would hold off for awhile and see if the playfields are good quality or not because at this point I'm not sure if they are or not.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Here's my take on it. I personally think Both games are good but I like GOT better, but SW is your dream theme so it's hard not to go with your dream theme right? Also with SW you get your dream theme and the new LCD display which is pretty awesome. The only thing that scares me about SW right now is there does "possibly" seem to be a problem with ghosting on the playfields. If it were me and I wanted a SW I think I would hold off for awhile and see if the playfields are good quality or not because at this point I'm not sure if they are or not.

Who-Dey Thanks for the input. To further complicate the matter, the wife wants GoT. LOL Not mad, especially since I'm also a fan of the show. Is code complete on it? That might sway me to go GoT as well for now, while waiting for SW code to mature, and like you said, also await the verdict on playfield quality.

#4 6 years ago

Wouldn't ghosting be a potential issue with a NIB GOT Pro as well, assuming that they've made more recent runs of playfields? Not saying this issue should be determinative on ordering a NIB Stern at all, just questioning whether GOT or other current titles are any safer than SW.

If you do go GOT consider getting a HUO. There are probably a good number out there in great shape, already dialed in, for a decent bit less than NIB pricing.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

who-dey Thanks for the input. To further complicate the matter, the wife wants GoT. LOL Not mad, especially since I'm also a fan of the show. Is code complete on it? That might sway me to go GoT as well for now, while waiting for SW code to mature, and like you said, also await the verdict on playfield quality.

Yes code is complete.
Playfield will get some dimplings for sure unless you install a PP. perhaps ghosting but this game is not really known to have this issue, at least as GB
Been said, GoT Pro and GoT Premium are 2 different games, Pro is fast and furious otherwise Premium is more various.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

who-dey Thanks for the input. To further complicate the matter, the wife wants GoT. LOL Not mad, especially since I'm also a fan of the show. Is code complete on it? That might sway me to go GoT as well for now, while waiting for SW code to mature, and like you said, also await the verdict on playfield quality.

I would say it's probably code complete. That doesn't mean it won't get one final polish maybe but I'd say it's probably complete if I had to guess. GOT is really a fantastic game and it's also considered to be one of the best values out of all the Pro models.

If your wife wants GOT then that is another good reason to get one. Nothing better than having your wife into playing pinball with you. A wife who loves pinball means more games for you down the road! I would personally get the Pro model also, it's a great great game.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Wouldn't ghosting be a potential issue with a NIB GOT Pro as well, assuming that they've made more recent runs of playfields? Not saying this issue should be determinative on ordering a NIB Stern at all, just questioning whether GOT or other current titles are any safer than SW.
If you do go GOT consider getting a HUO. There are probably a good number out there in great shape, already dialed in, for a decent bit less than NIB pricing.

Ghosting is a potential issue on any game I guess but GOT seems to be pretty safe. There have been a few issues of ghosting reported but nothing like there was on GB or even SW so far IMO.

#8 6 years ago

I would recommend Game of thrones Pro highly! Dont really like the premium.
But havent played star wars yet, so dont know how it is except i heard its game of thrones on steroids =)

#9 6 years ago

You can't really compare Star Wars at this point because the code is really in beta still. Either one would probably be a good pick. Remember you can always sell it or trade it later down the line.

#10 6 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. Good point about the wife. LOL I wonder if I can get her hooked on the same drug I'm on... pinball. LOL

Leaning now towards going GoT while Dwight dials in the code for Star Wars. Hopefully a year from now, it's all done, then I can move onto SW.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Thanks for the input everyone. Good point about the wife. LOL I wonder if I can get her hooked on the same drug I'm on... pinball. LOL
Leaning now towards going GoT while Dwight dials in the code for Star Wars. Hopefully a year from now, it's all done, then I can move onto SW.

Sounds like a great plan both of them

#12 6 years ago

I prefer Game of Thrones by a good margin right now. The code is so much more focused and cohesive. The different houses in Game of Thrones provide more variety in the game's progression than the characters do in Star Wars, as well. Star Wars, for most, will be the better theme, but I think Game of Thrones has the better layout and code.

#13 6 years ago

Take the 400 mile drive down to Lost Levels in Fullerton, CA and play them both. I was in the Anaheim area last week and did just that.

I played GoT LE previously and couldn't get into it. I've been trying to warm up to GoT ever since. I think the call outs on GoT pro are very light. I haven't read up on playing strategy and kinda didn't know what to do for the first couple of games.

The SW pro I played had a lot more fan appeal (I'd say I'm equally into both GoT and SW from a fan standpoint).

In short, I think GoT is built for long haul games (20+ minutes) to get satisfaction where SW can give you something in a 3-4 minutes - which is more inline with my pinball skill level.

I also think GoT did a mild disservice by coming out before the show/books are over... When House Tyrelll came up and I was like wait, they don't exist anymore... but that's an entirely different discussion.

1 week later
#14 6 years ago

jar155 Yeah the fact that it's complete is really swaying me in the direction of GOT the more I think about it. I agree regarding theme though.

ypurchn After reading your comment, I just found out 510 Pizza out here in Oakland has both, so I'm heading over there tomorrow to put some quality time on them both. Thanks for the input. You think there's any chance we get a code update on GOT that gets it more in line with where the storyline is at currently?

#15 6 years ago

I have both GOT and SW pro, Star Wars to me is my dream theme and with the new display and the sound its incredible!! If i had to choose right now I would sell GOT to keep SW, SW is freaking hard as heck though, Good grief!!!
Will say out of the 2 GOT is much easier with wider shots, SW has narrow hard shot, Code on GOT is complete and game rocks for sure, Thank goodness i dont have to choose and get to keep both

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-pro-or-star-wars-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.