(Topic ID: 232899)

Game of thrones Pro or Premium? Which is better and why?

By Barakawins1

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by atum
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Double facepalm.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 5 years ago

I prefer the Premium by far - BUT you have to fix the left orbit issue, that is the one thing that will ruin the flow of the game. Once that is done, you're golden. The upper playfield rocks IMO, and you have a whole additional Multiball mode in Castle Multiball.

#24 5 years ago

My thoughts regarding "Flow" on GOT Pro vs Premium:

The left orbit issue *IS* the flow killer on the Premium - NOT the upper playfield
- This is totally fixable - although it's not the easiest fix, so you find a lot of games with the issue
- The only other difference in Flow (Pro/Pre) is the left ramp mini-PF pass-thru, which is very minor

Here is why the Upper Playfield doesn't hurt the flow at all IMO:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1) It's a pass through upper playfield - if you don't flip it doesn't make much of a difference at all
2) The Right Ramp is *barely* used in the game (especially on a Pro) LOL
-- It's the Stark Shot - so you have to shoot it 3 times to light Stark - a couple more times for WIC
-- Once Stark mode is started, you can shoot either Ramp -> and the left is MUCH safer/easier
3) On a Pro almost anytime the right ramp is used, the left ramp is a safer/easier alternative - so why even shoot it???
4) The shot itself is exactly the same - the only difference is it takes an extra second (if no flips) to get to the left flipper
*update* - the drop target in front of the right ramp on the Premium does make the shot harder (more hits and risk)
--- I like the extra challenge/risk of the drop but YMMV

Premium Pros:
----------------
1) On a Premium the Right Ramp has a more important role -> to access the mini-playfield
-- you decide if you want to focus on the mini-playfield features or not
2) The Mini-Playfield adds another level of play/strategy to most other modes and multiballs
-- A key factor being you can make progress, increase values, etc. safely - draining is not a risk from the upper playfield
3) Castle Multiball is a really cool MB -> Stern just needs to increase the scoring to make it more valuable
4) IMO it's a great Mini-Playfield with 2 full size flippers and 6 different shots

*IF* you like mini-playfields, this is one of the best - hopefully Stern gives GOT an update to utilize it even more!

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Pro is kick ass, fast, and fun. No orbit issues either.

Exactly the same for Premium! - Once you fix the orbit

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

That's something I did not know. Thanks - now I'm dying to go try it.
I did trigger the endless ball save couple weeks ago during those 2 modes combined?
Are you sure it's a bug?
That is the only time I ever made it to Midnight Madness Multiball too - and have no idea what I did to do it.

Midnight Madness is automatically started if the internal clock strikes midnight while you are playing.

You did nothing to trigger it - other than playing at the right time of day.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

What is the left orbit issue mentioned several times that needs to be “fixed”?
Is it consistent thru all premium machine production or was it addressed by stern after getting feedback from buyers?

The issue is a diverter on the orbit to the upper playfield VUK. When not diverting, it disrupts the ball on a left orbit shot and the ball will usually not make a full orbit. It will usually go into the jets, and sometimes come back down the left orbit.

All Premium/LE games seem to have the issue from the factory. Stern provided a software "fix" by disabling the left orbit versus a hardware fix to provide a smooth left orbit. There are multiple things that can be done, but the best typical fix is to take the orbit diverter out and increase the bracket hole size, and replace the bracket in a specific manner.

This issue is so prevalent, IMO it's the real reason why most people think the Pro is so much faster / flow. After playing a Premium/LE with a great working left orbit, the Premium is practically at the same level of flow / speed, with more "cool stuff" going on in the game. GOT is a game where you need to trap up periodically or the speed will drain you in short order anyway (Premium or Pro).

#45 5 years ago

Important note for any GOT Premium/LE owners:

To fix the Orbit issue, you must do 2 things:
- apply the bracket mounting holes fix
- AND re-enable left orbits in the menu (the most recent software disables them by default!)

3 weeks later
#87 5 years ago

I actually prefer having the "Tunnels" on the Premium/LE. I find the Pro too barren, and not as interesting to shoot. I always preferred train sets and race car tracks with bridges and tunnels too. I think it's cool when I nail a left orbit and the ball goes into the tunnel, and comes flying around on the right orbit. It doesn't catch me by surprise or make it too difficult, it's just cooler. I've been thinking of changing my lighting to make the left tunnel shot darker to enhance the effect!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-pro-or-premium-which-is-better-and-why?tu=T7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.