(Topic ID: 232899)

Game of thrones Pro or Premium? Which is better and why?

By Barakawins1

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by atum
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Double facepalm.jpg
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

Pro all day. Upper playfield ruins the game's frantic flow.

#52 5 years ago

#53 5 years ago

Anyone want to trade their GOT Pro toward a Star Trek LE with mods? If so, PM Me.

#54 5 years ago

Premium/LE for me.

#55 5 years ago

When these come up for sale they seem to be Premium/LE’s. GOT pros don’t seem to leave collections as much. Played both at a show and preferred the gameplay of the PRO.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Midnight Madness is automatically started if the internal clock strikes midnight while you are playing.
You did nothing to trigger it - other than playing at the right time of day.

That's so funky!
Thanks for the note-

Freaky mode - you think the machine is malfunctioning, at first.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

That's so funky!
Thanks for the note-
Freaky mode - you think the machine is malfunctioning, at first.

I set my clock off by 3 hours so that it happens around 9pm. There’s more chance of someone getting it that way.

#58 5 years ago

I owned a pro and premium at the same time a couple years ago, sold the premium quickly and still play the pro all the time. Love the flow of the pro, never liked the upper playfield. Premium sure looks a lot nicer though.

#59 5 years ago

Time for agruing. Go with the premium le. Upper play field adds a lot. Dragon cheap on the pro. Light show much better on premium le. Plus you have the iron throne.

#60 5 years ago

Premium/LE...for the reasons already stated by those on that side. and perhaps there will be new code in the future to make the upper PF more compelling...we can hope.

#61 5 years ago

I don't own either but if I saw both a Premium and Pro on location side by side I would play the Pro all day! It just flows better and seems more open. The upper playfield doesn't do anything for me either.

#62 5 years ago

premium all the way !!!

#63 5 years ago

Seems pretty evenly split. Maybe add a poll?

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

pro is ugly as hell. ...

Avoiding the Pro's artwork (and Premium's too IMHO) is more than reason enough to pay the extra $ for an LE. The additional Premium/LE features are a bonus.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from sckurk:

Seems pretty evenly split. Maybe add a poll?

What’s even more interesting to me, is that when the game was released most people argued that the pro was by far a superior game over the premium because of the flow. I find as the years go on, more people understand the nuances in the rules, and the differences between the two versions. Increasingly I’ve noticed more support for the premium/LE as the preferred choice for more skilled players. (Not trying to say Pro supporters are worse players.)

My thought with this game is that it will receive another code update after the show is completed. I don’t expect much with a code update, but I do hope it is enough to give this game it’s deserved refinement. At that time I believe the premium/LE games will be the ones people look for and keep in their collection. We’ve seen some games get incredible improvements with their final code updates and I just have a feeling that game of thrones won’t disappoint.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Avoiding the Pro's artwork (and Premium's too IMHO) is more than reason enough to pay the extra $ for an LE. The additional Premium/LE features are a bonus.

I have a premium, and I agree totally that the LE has a better art package, but I couldn’t justify the price difference

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I agree. It’s time I find myself an LE.

#68 5 years ago

I'm biased I guess, but the premium art is the best. I like winter theme and blue play field vs the old map color in the pro and le.

#69 5 years ago

I only played a handful of games on each the Pro and Prem. And I enjoyed both, I think this is a fun game. But, I hate the fact that the only way to get big points is delay a mode. Get your locks in. Start a mode on MB lock and probably start 2 modes at one time... And then watch the points just explode...

Anyway... I don't know if the pro flows more then the Prem... I'll take the word of all the other pinsiders that it does.
But, my main beef with the pro is the playfield is why too sparse. Just looks empty and barren. I think the Prem upperplayfield and the dragon. It adds a much needed toy, and it also helps with the theme integration.
So for me. Its necessary. I rather have a game that has more character then flow... And also I think the upper playfield adds more shots. So I always like more shots.

#70 5 years ago

It's fun to see a game like this get a lot of praise, whether pro or premium. I really like the game, both versions, but prefer the premium a bit more. I always wondered if Stern just swept this title under the rug so to speak and quit making it because of the un-fixed Premium/LE orbit issue.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

It's fun to see a game like this get a lot of praise, whether pro or premium. I really like the game, both versions. I always wondered if Stern just swept this title under the rug so to speak and quit making it because of the un-fixed Premium/LE orbit issue.

Whats the orbit issue??? This is on the list of machines I hope to acquire one day... Mind you one day might be like 5 years from now.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Whats the orbit issue??? This is on the list of machines I hope to acquire one day... Mind you one day might be like 5 years from now.

Watch gameplay videos on youtube, you'll see it. The ball gets hit around the left orbit and just comes back down again, or it just goes into the pops.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

It’s a simple fix done to a mounting plate for a diverter. They should be all fixed by the time you get your hands on one. Lol.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It’s a simple fix done to a mounting plate for a diverter. They should be all fixed by the time you get your hands on one. Lol.

Confession time. I still haven't done mine...

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

... But, my main beef with the pro is the playfield is why too sparse. Just looks empty and barren. I think the Prem upperplayfield and the dragon. It adds a much needed toy, and it also helps with the theme integration.
So for me. Its necessary. I rather have a game that has more character then flow... And also I think the upper playfield adds more shots. So I always like more shots.

I can relate to the fairly common complaint that the Premium/LE castle hides the ball too much, but there is also something really cool about having a castle on the playfield. Really adds a medieval element to the game's vibe for me! I also like the additional shots and lighting effects that the upper playfield provides. Wish that there was more code incorporated into it though as it feels like it's underused for as much real estate as it takes up.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Main Street amusements is selling their premium for 4999. Go get that. Deal of the century.

I was just there Saturday. Cool place. Game looked good.

#77 5 years ago

Both are fun. However if you get used to one version the other will feel weird the first dozen of games or so because there are some significant diferences in the rules. Personally I prefer the pro because all of the reasons stated above. Artwork doesn't bother me I play the game not the artwork, although it really has grown on me. And I agree, you really need a colordmd for this one, makes the animations so much more recognizable.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Every insert changes colors in the premium. The light show in the premium blows the pro out of the water.

Word. Pro isn't in the same universe of light show.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Martell requires you to make orbits, but the way they did the diverter mounting, it causes the ball not to go around smoothly and end up in the pops or dribbling back down, which wastes time and makes it hard/impossible to finish the Martell correctly. Total BS that Stern just changed the software and called it LITERALLY "as designed" not to work.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

But, I hate the fact that the only way to get big points is delay a mode.

Well you said so yourself, you’ve only played it a handful of times. Haha

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Total BS that Stern just changed the software and called it LITERALLY "as designed" not to work.

How the flaw made it through beta testing is beyond my comprehension

Biggest Stern fail ever- I did a double face palm on that one

Double facepalm.jpgDouble facepalm.jpg

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

How the flaw made it through beta testing is beyond my comprehension
Biggest Stern fail ever- I did a double face palm on that one
[quoted image]

Since the problem is literally a matter of a millimeter or two, maybe the sample machines had the diverter mounted right and the production dimpling was off by like 1-2mm, which was enough to cause the problem. We'll never know. But it was TOTAL BS the way Stern "fixed" it.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Confession time. I still haven't done mine...

Same here. But I disagree with the post that Martell can't be beat like this. Left orbit, dribble through the pops and served to right flipper at a slow speed for an easy catch. Repeat x 2. I think it actually makes the mode easier.

#84 5 years ago

Besides the flow and hidden ball arguments, one of the reasons I prefer the pro is that the shots make more sense thematically. On the pro you work towards Wall multiball by completing lanes...the most "north" portion of the playfield, and it is even cooler color blue up there. On the LE you build towards Wall with the Castle Black shot instead. Speaking of that shot, on the pro that is the dragon shot, where you qualify Targaryen...makes total sense. You are fighting the dragon and he is literally fighting back. On the LE it is the castle black shot...not sure why it is kicking back or why I would qualify Targaryen there? As for the mystery award part...I like that the pro can catch the ball there, but I have to admit, it's cooler to kick the ball into the throne on the LE. Extra ball to me makes more sense on the much harder dragon shot vs the right orbit on the LE, but that's kind of a wash.

I know this is a minor thing, but one of the things GoT is so FREAKING good at is immersion, and to me the more thematically relevant shots on the pro add to that. That said...both versions are awesome. The LE upper playfield is one of the best uppers ever made in my opinion. The smooth flapping dragon is a beauty, and the lightshow is amazing. Great art too. I love my pro, and it is my preference regardless of price, but if the LE were the only one available I would be 100% happy going that direction. If I ever win the lottery, I would drop a pro playfield into an LE cabinet and have the best of both worlds!

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Besides the flow and hidden ball arguments, one of the reasons I prefer the pro is that the shots make more sense thematically. On the pro you work towards Wall multiball by completing lanes...the most "north" portion of the playfield, and it is even cooler color blue up there. On the LE you build towards Wall with the Castle Black shot instead. Speaking of that shot, on the pro that is the dragon shot, where you qualify Targaryen...makes total sense. You are fighting the dragon and he is literally fighting back. On the LE it is the castle black shot...not sure why it is kicking back or why I would qualify Targaryen there? As for the mystery award part...I like that the pro can catch the ball there, but I have to admit, it's cooler to kick the ball into the throne on the LE. Extra ball to me makes more sense on the much harder dragon shot vs the right orbit on the LE, but that's kind of a wash.
I know this is a minor thing, but one of the things GoT is so FREAKING good at is immersion, and to me the more thematically relevant shots on the pro add to that.

Fighting the Targaryen house battle is WAY more immersive on the Premium/LE with the upper playfield and animated dragon. Easily offsets the Castle Black shot argument.

#86 5 years ago

It’s pretty immersive on the pro too when you have a sub turned up and the flapping wings rumble the whole game room. Sweet!!

2 weeks later
#87 5 years ago

I actually prefer having the "Tunnels" on the Premium/LE. I find the Pro too barren, and not as interesting to shoot. I always preferred train sets and race car tracks with bridges and tunnels too. I think it's cool when I nail a left orbit and the ball goes into the tunnel, and comes flying around on the right orbit. It doesn't catch me by surprise or make it too difficult, it's just cooler. I've been thinking of changing my lighting to make the left tunnel shot darker to enhance the effect!

#88 5 years ago

LE for me. If you don't understand the upper playfield and choose not to want to understand it, then it'll always feel like it's getting in the way and you may as well go for the Pro. I however really like the strategy that the upper playfield brings into play during modes deciding on whether to go for castles and the ultimate Iron Throne payout, or going more for the mode shots. The extra Castle Multiball is fun too and it gives one more objective to try for during game play. Knowing you can always choose NOT to flip on the upper playfield really makes the whole "flow" aspect of the right ramp a moot point (yeah, the ball is still delayed for part of a second but big deal IMO). The drop target in front of the right ramp adds another level of difficulty and challenge the Pro doesn't offer. And yes, it sucks knowing you have to modify your game to get the right "flow" on the orbits for the prem/le, but at least you CAN do it and get that speed and flow if you so choose without really messing up your game.

With that said, I think the Premium version is about as butt ugly as it comes (with the exception of the lower cabinet side art). If I didn't have an LE, I'd get the Pro and throw in one of those nice alternate translites. As is though, if I didn't have an LE, I'd save my coin and get one of those - easily IMO the most beautiful overall art package with the mirrored translite, mirrored side armor and an over all better cabinet and playfield art package.

1 month later
#89 5 years ago

Anyone have a premium they would entertain selling? I don't like the art on the LE so looking for a premium.

#90 5 years ago

Purchased my GOT Pro recently from Gorrillabiscuits. What a great game. Very challenging and by far one of the hardest goal playing games I've played to
date. I'm very satisfied with the flow of this game and objectives. Great light show too!

#91 5 years ago

Congrats on becoming KICK ASS!

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Game of thrones Pro or Premium? Which is better and why?

Still the Premium/LE.

The castle looks bitchin' (what's a medieval game without a castle anyway?!) and the upper playfield IS bitchin'!

And the Pro's cabinet/backglass artwork still blows. Doesn't get better with time either.

4 months later
#93 4 years ago

New code reveal tonight gives much more strategic impact and fun factor to the upper playfield.

#94 4 years ago

Do we know when stern will have the new GoT Prem/LE code available to download?

#95 4 years ago

Pro for life!

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Do we know when stern will have the new GoT Prem/LE code available to download?

They said it will be several days to a week.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

They said it will be several days to a week.

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up. Only caught the end of the twitch stream. Definitely worth the wait!

#98 4 years ago

This thread would be so much better with a poll!!

#99 4 years ago

thread is back to life

i was already on the PREM side (even if i like flow/speed pins) due to the real upper PF, and the way it feels this pinball to be "normally" designed with...

now, with the new code, seems more as an evidence that PREM is my only way to go

#100 4 years ago

where is this new code ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-pro-or-premium-which-is-better-and-why/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.