i-d20729cf9e0d847cadd13df24cc9eedc-rodney-dangerfield-picture-01.jpg
Untitled.jpg
image.jpg
bitch_bitch_bitch.jpg
Karateka.png
gear.gif
49622656.jpg
technicaldifficulties.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Just a notice for all those new to Dead Flip: These types of technical problems are very atypical for Dead Flip, the usual Dead Flip broadcasts are smooth and entertaining. The reason that there's issues today is because is because they're broadcasting from a different location than the usual DF studio, and the problem couldn't have been forseen/easily fixed by Jack.

I totally believe it. Tough to walk into a new setup, I'm sure no one is blaming them. This is just a gameplay demo, if they (worst case) have to reschedule it not a huge deal. Not like it was some special one time event.

I'm going to save the rest of my comments until we actually get to see more, make sure I'm being fair. I give credit to Stern for trying to get gameplay footage out so fast, think of how many games in the past we would have loved to see this for. It's a good idea, even if it broke.

I will say this though, to echo my comment from the other thread: being able to skip the video mode is cool, because it looks dull and video modes in pinball are by and large lame, but why even do it at all if you can just skip it? Just exactly speak to their confidence in it. I would have just left it out, no one would have noticed or cared. Oh well, not a huge deal, just seems odd to make something that most people are going to just always skip. Or at least I know I would.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm with you, but I actually think that your statement about most people will just be skipping it may be wrong. I base this solely on a poll that was posted here about video modes. Much to my surprise, most people were actually in favor of bringing back a video mode.
Edit: here is the poll, and it's not even close. 62% want a video brought back (HELL YEAH!) and only 25% say no. 13% say sure, as long as you can cancel it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bring-back-video-modes

I like videos modes like the Shadow's. It's quick, and hard, and worth doing because you can get the extra ball. I dodge enough waves to get close, then use my smart bomb to make sure I get EB, and then usually die, because the smart bomb makes everything speed up. That's pretty fun.

I wonder, is this a one time mode, or are they going to have you fighting different levels, and keep doing it? For every Shadow video mode there's Junkyard's shooting toast at dogs, you know?

Maybe it's more fun than it looks. It just looks kinda silly. Like I'm playing Karateka again on an old Apple II.

#67 8 years ago

I had the stream running on another screen while I worked. I have to be honest, as much as I love the GOT theme song, I had to turn it off because I couldn't stand listening to it looping any longer. I've heard it so many times already, and so many covers of it, that I just have a limited tolerance for endless minutes of it.

It's too bad Stern won't work with David Thiel anymore.

The other thing I'm kinda torn on is the Elvira oooh jackpot callout. It's cool to throw in a Scared Stiff easter egg, but it felt out of place. Much like the MM archers on the upper playfield. It's funny how Stern is becoming B/W 2.0 now. First they did Kiss, with all the total homages to the original Bally game, including the pop caps and same artist and general art package. Rumor is that Nordman might do something for Stern again even.

I dunno, gonna get really nerdy here, snaroff will feel me and I don't know who else, but it's like NeXT bringing out Clarus the dogcow. Just sort of strange to me.

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Hmm...isn't the Elvira call-out just the Twitch stream when someone donates?

Oh is it? That would make a lot more sense.

I dunno man, I'm getting old I guess, this whole donate to people live streaming games thing just holds zero interest for me. I thought it was very cool of Stern to get them in there, don't get me wrong, but I'm not going to tune in to watch them BS and play pinball and give them money.

More power to them for making it work though, not at hater, just kind of don't get the appeal I guess. But beyond that I obviously haven't watched it before, and didn't know they had that call as part of their stream and not the game!

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It was actually pretty obvious, so I'm guessing you didn't watch it very long.

I watched the first bit, before it went off the air. Then I tuned in later for a few games. I saw Gomez f**king around with Hulk and Optimus on top of the machine, saw people asking about the Jurassic Park code, the Avengers code, what the sword insert meant.

But I had it on a second monitor and I wasn't watching every second, so if there was some donation thing that showed up during every jackpot I missed that. Just heard the callout and thought it was the woman they had doing an Elvira impression. Was kinda confusing since this was my first time hearing the game.

Quoted from RobT:

Stern doing this was a great idea! Watching Steve Ritchie play his own pin, and explain some of the rules was cool.

Totally agree, great idea!

Quoted from RobT:

Not sure why the need to criticize the money/donation part, when that was totally optional and not in any way required to see the broadcast.

Oh yeah, no, it's totally fine. I'm just saying that I don't get the whole Twitch culture. There are people who make a ton of money streaming their gameplay in real time (Dota 2, LoL, Hearthstone, etc) along with pitches for money, and good for them. It's just not something I really get. I like PAPA TV, and donated to the kickstarter, I don't feel entirely out of touch, but some of it is just weird to me. I'm speaking in general about Twitch, not Dead Flip specifically.

Edit: If you want to see what Twitch game streaming makes me think of, google "Brittany Venti". I'll stop going off topic now, very cool of Dead Flip to partner with Stern, was smart for both of you.

#132 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

including the LE or Premium version of GOT

Second that! If there was ever a Stern that needed a real comparison between Pro and Prem, this is it. I can't think of another Pro/Prem Stern title with such vastly different features when it comes to actual gameplay.

#140 8 years ago

I get it. Totally get it. But I'm in channels talking to people all day, that's part of my job. My whole team works remotely.

So I guess I'd rather just enjoy more purposeful TV with less chatting with more folks. I realize it's hugely popular. But not appealing for me. I've watched a little Hearthstone, I have friends who are big eSport fans, I'm not ignorant about using it. Just ... eh.

Good for Dead Flip though! Not hating at all, it sounds like a great way to have a community chill.

#156 8 years ago

Kiss is full of ripped video, but also 3D animations which are just being rendered like they would for a high rez game, and then crammed into 128x32 monochrome pixels. It's just ridiculous really, time for the DMD to die.

If you want to do retro style dots in full color that's fine by me. Take it up a notch and do MMR coloring (the unreleased high rez animations). Or do full video like JJP. Or do high rez animations like Heighway.

But I'm done with these red monochrome DMDs. Can't wait until the Tron ColorDMD comes out, then my DMD games will be at 100% color. I don't care that it's not period accurate, it looks incredible to me.

And best of all it's so much easier to see what's going on in the animations! Even in the games with really nice hand crafted dots it can be hard to tell sometimes. When you mash video into it like GOT it's just a blurry smear of red.

I don't mind it so much on Tron, because they cranked the contrast so high, it isolates most of the clips on black. But Spider-Man is another example of where I can't stand it. If they really do a VE and it has new animations, and they're still red dots ... that would be a giant waste.

#276 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

After watching the video I can't help to think the rules for the LE/Premium will be very different from the PRO.
There are some impressive light shows and action in the PRO, but do they really want to have 2 models of a game with very different rules? Is this going to set a precedent for games going forward?

I'm very curious about that too. It seems like a real weakness of the Pro/Prem model in this case, you either have to have two pretty different code bases, or you can't really code to the features of the Prem because it will leave the Pro behind.

With Star Trek it wasn't an issue for instance, the gameplay was so similar. Even ACDC no big deal. Lower playfield was kind of a extra bonus. But this is a pretty major gameplay change between the two.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-pro-gameplay-live?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.