• The Hobbit 75 votes
    38%
  • Neither 28 votes
    14%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Holy shit! I actually thought this was a joke. IMO it's like comparing Creature of the Black Lagoon to Last Action Hero. The Hobbit is much prettier, better built, amazing use of the theme, very deep, and is only going to get better and become a classc.
Game of Thrones looks and feels cheap in comparison. Just my opinion.

Got is still fun though, but it does look very ugly and cheap next to a hobbit

Hobbit does need to be set up steep (mines at 7.2) and open the outlanes wide

#52 7 years ago

Hobbit all day long. GOT would be a major downgrade in every respect. How could you look at that horrible art and video clips in red monochrome after having a Hobbit?

#53 7 years ago

Eventhough I dont care for the upper PF on GOT, I'd still take it over the Hobbit. JJP games are great to look at, but dont have staying power in my experience. I've left multiple credits on location games because a couple games is all I can take on them.

#54 7 years ago

I have a got le... It's one great game... So many strategies to pick from. I actually like the upper playfield and this art package the best. I've played hobbit a few times... It's okay... It looks great but not a huge fan of widebodies. As a buyer, you should always play for yourself.

#55 7 years ago

GOT premium over Hobbit in my opinion. If you really don't like long games though, GOT might not be for you either. As mentioned by another poster, yes you can cruise through modes, but if you're trying to maximize score, you can spend a lot more time in modes. It can run long. There are plenty of shorter-playing games out there. But if the question is strictly which of the two is better, GOT has my vote.

#56 7 years ago

Take the center post out of The Hobbit, set the angle at like 7°, turn off ball saves and extra balls and finally wax the PF and you'll have quick games for sure!

Game of Thrones: fun pinball game

The Hobbit: next level pinball experience

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hobbit all day long. GOT would be a major downgrade in every respect. How could you look at that horrible art and video clips in red monochrome after having a Hobbit?

Good thing I'm playing it and not hanging it on my wall.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Good thing I'm playing it and not hanging it on my wall.

Same here. Hobbit's gameplay and code is a masterpiece to go along with its good looks. Complete package.

GOT is the one you toss a few coins at on the street. Hobbit is the one you take home.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GOT is the one you toss a few coins at on the street. Hobbit is the one you take home.

...then divorce as soon as you realize it stopped putting out as soon as you got it home.

(On an unrelated note, if you can tell me how to get that stupid Shipoopi song out of my head, I'd really appreciate it. I hold you personally responsible...)

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...then divorce as soon as you realize it stopped putting out as soon as you got it home.

Mine puts out for hours at a time! (Yes the games are long lol)

Quoted from beelzeboob:

(On an unrelated note, if you can tell me how to get that stupid Shipoopi song out of my head, I'd really appreciate it. I hold you personally responsible...)

Why? I had nothing to do with it.

#61 7 years ago

Interesting to see GOT winning this poll yet it's about 20 ranks below Hobbit in the Top 100. Just an observation, obviously the Top 100 is not without faults.

#62 7 years ago

They are two totally different style games. The only advice on here that has made any sense is to go play each yourself and then decide. Different strokes for different folks. Hobbit hasn't gotten old to me yet, but when I play a got pro, I lose interest after a while. Again, only you can decide which one were your appetite.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Mine puts out for hours at a time! (Yes the games are long lol)

Why? I had nothing to do with it.

You work for those people. SOMEbody's gotta take some responsibility. Friggin' song pops into my head at the stupidest times...and all these years later. They should make an anti-Shipoopi pill or something. I even hear it in Peter's voice...

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Interesting to see GOT winning this poll yet it's about 20 ranks below Hobbit in the Top 100. Just an observation, obviously the Top 100 is not without faults.

He said he didn't like long games. Hobbit is a long playing game. I voted GOT for him even though GOT doesn't deserve to smell Hobbit's shit. GOT isn't even in the same league.

#65 7 years ago

Well let's judge them when they are both on the final code. By the looks of it there are many more updates coming out for the hobbit. Can't say as much about GOT.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You work for those people. SOMEbody's gotta take some responsibility. Friggin' song pops into my head at the stupidest times...and all these years later. They should make an anti-Shipoopi pill or something. I even hear it in Peter's voice...

Look at the credits and plot your vengeance accordingly. I had nothing to do with it.

#67 7 years ago

Hobbit got my vote...but got is great pin too...

#68 7 years ago

See...now I'm depressed. I just realized that the only way that GOT gets any respect around here is when it's compared to The Hobbit.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

See...now I'm depressed. I just realized that the only way that GOT gets any respect around here is when it's compared to The Hobbit.

Haha that's funny. You really don't like the hobbit do you? Thats ok I still like you

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Hey, Don't forget my version the Black Arrow with black powder coat

The SE (special edition) is the black arrow. The standard doesn't have powder coated legs and railing.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Haha that's funny. You really don't like the hobbit do you? Thats ok I still like you

The Hobbit is, hands down, the most beautiful machine ever made, IMO. But I find it boring, no matter where I play it. However, that being said, my statement was more about the fact that GOT could top ANYTHING in a poll, which surprised me with the beating it took here on Pinside. I still think it's a great game. Ugly playfield, but a great game. If it was a game like that and looked like Hobbit, you'd have a masterpiece.

#72 7 years ago

My GOTLE gets a ton more plays than my RRWOZ which is a ton better than the Hobbit. GOT is by far the best of the three.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The Hobbit is, hands down, the most beautiful machine ever made, IMO. But I find it boring, no matter where I play it. However, that being said, my statement was more about the fact that GOT could top ANYTHING in a poll, which surprised me with the beating it took here on Pinside. I still think it's a great game. Ugly playfield, but a great game. If it was a game like that and looked like Hobbit, you'd have a masterpiece.

So basically if the hobbit and GOT made a baby it would be beautiful and fun!

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

This poll has nothing to do with the top 100 as I'm sure many that submitted a review for either game did not vote in this thread. Also, a vote in this thread is just that, a vote, versus a review which takes into account a number of items (rules, artwork, sound, playfield design, etc).

#75 7 years ago

I have both GoT LE and Hobbit. I agree with the opinion that GoT is more fun to play. I like the risk reward that comes with building up big jackpots and deciding when to cash them then. Hobbit is much better looking with better build quality. Kids and non pinheads prefer the Hobbit hands down. There is room for both in a collection, but if I were to choose one it would be GoT.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This poll has nothing to do with the top 100 as I'm sure many that submitted a review for either game did not vote in this thread. Also, a vote in this thread is just that, a vote, versus a review which takes into account a number of items (rules, artwork, sound, playfield design, etc).

So...you're bitter?

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

So...you're bitter?

Nope, Hobbit is the higher ranked game in the top 100 for multiple reasons. As I said before I would like to get some more time in on GOT. I had a hard time getting into the pro due to the artwork and the plastic vibe of the game. Only played 1 game on a premium but I thought it played and looked better then the pro.

I'm a fan of the GOT show but when I look at the pin it doesn't make me think of GOT at all due to the artwork. Stern was likely limited to what HBO would allow which is unfortunate. If Stern had more freedom with the artwork I'm sure that the game would be ranked higher.

OP should go with whatever game he likes the best.

#78 7 years ago

Based on this thread, the majority of people who own both have picked GOT.

I really hope Dwight can get some good code in to finish this game and even help out the upper pf.

#79 7 years ago

Poll at 79 votes for GOT, 56 votes for Hobbit. This is a hard decision considering that Hobbit hasn't grown on me like I had hoped and GOT looks like a cool game.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Poll at 79 votes for GOT, 56 votes for Hobbit. This is a hard decision considering that Hobbit hasn't grown on me like I had hoped and GOT looks like a cool game.

If you don't like the long ball times I would sell it. If you like the hobbit potential then wait till the new code comes out. Sounds like you would enjoy got better by the looks of it.

The problem is releasing games without finalizing code. Makes games look empty.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

If you don't care for the Hobbit, sell it You don't need the pinside peanut gallery to rationalize your personal opinion!

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from attack7777:

If you don't care for the Hobbit, sell it You don't need the pinside peanut gallery to rationalize your personal opinion!

Believe me, I'd rather sell it than trade it, but I've had it listed for a few weeks with no serious interest. I have a The Hobbit Smaug Gold with upgrades and very few plays listed at a very fair price of $7800. The game seems to get a lot of love on Pinside but it's not translating into a sale for me!

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Believe me, I'd rather sell it than trade it, but I've had it listed for a few weeks with no serious interest. I have a The Hobbit Smaug Gold with upgrades and very few plays listed at a very fair price of $7800. The game seems to get a lot of love on Pinside but it's not translating into a sale for me!

Top dollar games are usually slower to sell. Either stay patient or try lowering the price. Low $7k or even $6900 would probably liquidate it a lot faster.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I really hope Dwight can get some good code in to finish this game

Lol it's done, dude. Sterny style. Hobbit's still got Keith jamming away for sure.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Lol it's done, dude. Sterny style. Hobbit's still got Keith jamming away for sure.

Sadly, this is a harsh truth and reason why im so hesitant on Aerosmith or Star Wars (future). My next pin(s) may just be some SS games, AFMR, a vault edition (if its good), Spooky (if they make something i like), or even a P3 multimorphic; all because of sterns consistant lack of commitment to code

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Top dollar games are usually slower to sell. Either stay patient or try lowering the price. Low $7k or even $6900 would probably liquidate it a lot faster.

I have over $8500 invested in the game and I hardly played it. I'm willing to take a loss but I can't justify losing more than $1000 so I probably won't take less than $7500 for it. I think that's more than reasonable considering it has upgrades. Guess I'll just have to hold onto it for now or hope that a good trade offer comes up because I'm pretty sure no matter what happens with the code I'm not going to be happy with it!

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I have over $8500 invested in the game and I hardly played it. I'm willing to take a loss but I can't justify losing more than $1000 so I probably won't take less than $7500 for it. I think that's more than reasonable considering it has upgrades. Guess I'll just have to hold onto it for now or hope that a good trade offer comes up because I'm pretty sure no matter what happens with the code I'm not going to be happy with it!

Have you tried setting it up tougher and faster? That might help a little so decrease ball times. Also keep it up on pinside and see what happens

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I think the problem here is that you can get it NIB for about $8300, and for most people, mods are a personal choice. Generally there needs to be a little room between the new and used price until new ones are no longer available.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

you have to remember being a pro - GOT is much more accessible, so many more people have played it and seen its fun. Hobbit will be much more scarce, and many people if they have played it will only have a game or two on it. I had a poor initial impression of it as well, however after playing it and learning some of the rules and setting it up how I like it, I then realized how great of a game it is.

#90 7 years ago

I had the Hobbit LE and I have the GOT LE. Enough said

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I have over $8500 invested in the game and I hardly played it.

That's your problem. Play it more. Maybe you don't understand the rules yet? I didn't at first and was unsure...once they clicked...holy moly, it suddenly becomes gaddamn magic.

#92 7 years ago

As mentioned above, the price is part of the issue. A nib shipped can be found for $8500. Your asking price plus shipping isn't far enough off. A trade may work better in this case​ plus minus cash.

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

As mentioned above, the price is part of the issue. A nib shipped can be found for $8500. Your asking price plus shipping isn't far enough off. A trade may work better in this case​ plus minus cash.

Yeah, you can't really flip a game for big bucks when it's still in production. Also, most Hobbits seem to be selling for $7500 in the used market at the moment. That's what I got mine for, anyway. I got a Smaug, but could have picked up an LE for less!

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, you can't really flip a game for big bucks when it's still in production. Also, most Hobbits seem to be selling for $7500 in the used market at the moment. That's what I got mine for, anyway. I got a Smaug, but could have picked up an LE for less!

How is selling an $8500 game plus playfield protector, Cliffys, and plastic protectors for $7800 obo trying to flip a game for profit?

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

How is selling an $8500 game plus playfield protector, Cliffys, and plastic protectors for $7800 obo trying to flip a game for profit?

Well, it's not flipping, per se....but like others have said, potential buyers don't value mods as much as we think they do. If you were to sell it for $7500, it's not a huge loss...that's still quite a chunk of change. Think of some of the games that didn't hold their value... "back in the day" new Sterns like T3, South Park, Austin Powers, Elvis were selling for $1500 not too long after they were new. You're doing OK if you can still get $7500 back on a Hobbit.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, it's not flipping, per se....but like others have said, potential buyers don't value mods as much as we think they do. If you were to sell it for $7500, it's not a huge loss...that's still quite a chunk of change. Think of some of the games that didn't hold their value... "back in the day" new Sterns like T3, South Park, Austin Powers, Elvis were selling for $1500 not too long after they were new. You're doing OK if you can still get $7500 back on a Hobbit.

I guess that's a fair assessment- I would be ok with $7500, but for any less I'd rather just keep it and hope it grows on me!

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I guess that's a fair assessment- I would be ok with $7500, but for any less I'd rather just keep it and hope it grows on me!

Do you "get" the rules yet? Do you know about the multiple skill shot choices? Do you understand how to collect the Arkenstone shards to start those crazy ass "mini" wizard modes? Did you figure out spelling LOCK twice to light locks at the orbits, giving you multiballs for modes which then lead to treasure hunts?

Also, set your beast settings a bit harder - they won't pop up as much which IMO lets you learn the other stuff better and balances the gameplay.

And - try my audio settings. Makes the game sound so much better:

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I have a chance at picking up one of these two games. For those of you who have played them both, what do you think?

Game of Thrones Prem/LE, hands down. Hobbit is still pretty dull. Lots going on but nothing to say.

#99 7 years ago

I own both le games and it would be a very tough but I believe the hobbit by a nose

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Do you "get" the rules yet? Do you know about the multiple skill shot choices? Do you understand how to collect the Arkenstone shards to start those crazy ass "mini" wizard modes? Did you figure out spelling LOCK twice to light locks at the orbits, giving you multiballs for modes which then lead to treasure hunts?
Also, set your beast settings a bit harder - they won't pop up as much which IMO lets you learn the other stuff better and balances the gameplay.
And - try my audio settings. Makes the game sound so much better:

I appreciate that! To be honest with you, I haven't even killed Smaug yet, and I've only reached battle of the five armies once. There just seems to be something lacking that doesn't make me want to come back for more, and I'm not really sure what it is. I'll check out your Settings and see if I like it any better. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-or-the-hobbit/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.