• The Hobbit 75 votes
    38%
  • Neither 28 votes
    14%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

I have a chance at picking up one of these two games. For those of you who have played them both, what do you think?

#2 7 years ago

I dumped my hobbit order for a GOT LE. Second best decision I ever made.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I have a chance at picking up one of these two games. For those of you who have played them both, what do you think?

Looks like you already have a hobbit in your collection

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Looks like you already have a hobbit in your collection

I do- thinking about getting a Game of Thrones (and unloading The Hobbit). I just want to get some input before I make the decision.

#5 7 years ago

The hobbit for me. I wasn't a fan at first but it grew on me. Lots of modes (31) and multiballs along with 3 arkenstone modes. Code still not finished yet but the game is a blast! Got I only played in the wild and it destroyed my wallet lol. Still a fun game though

#6 7 years ago

I have a Hobbit and GOT pro. Id sell Hobbit before GOT if i had to choose.

There almost equal though to me. GOT has more adreniline fueled gameplay and more strategy. Id say its coded better then Hobbit in a fun factor way.

Hobbit has some great moments. Killing Smaug is sweet. All 3 Arkenstone modes are fun. The code needs work though cause right now feels like it goes nowhere.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I have a Hobbit and GOT pro. Id sell Hobbit before GOT if i had to choose.
There almost equal though to me. GOT has more adreniline fueled gameplay and more strategy. Id say its coded better then Hobbit in a fun factor way.
Hobbit has some great moments. Killing Smaug is sweet. All 3 Arkenstone modes are fun. The code needs work though cause right now feels like it goes nowhere.

I appreciate your input and I agree about Hobbit. The package is great but but it requires too much to achieve anything !

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I appreciate your input and I agree about Hobbit. The package is great but but it requires too much to achieve anything !

Thats sorta opposite of the way i feel about Hobbit code after playing through all 3 arkentone wizards and all 31 modes in single games a few times. I think everything is too achievable and repetitive. They need to mix it up between Arkenstones so its not the same stuff between each one. Now its just collect the 5 ruins the exact same way to achieve a wizard mode over and over. Plus with no real meaning to the modes beside beating 1 to collect ruin is a big waste of the story the modes play out. So much more they could do with this games code to make it more fun.

GOT on the other hand has fantastic code! Its only missing some callouts during a few modes and the Houses are alittle out of balance. Theres different ways of playing everytime based on which house you choose and which direction you want to go in game. It never gets boring or repetitive.

#9 7 years ago

That's a tough one they are both great games.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Thats sorta opposite of the way i feel about Hobbit code after playing through all 3 arkentone wizards and all 31 modes in single games a few times. I think everything is too achievable and repetitive. They need to mix it up between Arkenstones so its not the same stuff between each one. Now its just collect the 5 ruins the exact same way to achieve a wizard mode over and over. Plus with no real meaning to the modes beside beating 1 to collect ruin is a big waste of the story the modes play out. So much more they could do with this games code to make it more fun.
GOT on the other hand has fantastic code! Its only missing some callouts during a few modes and the Houses are alittle out of balance. Theres different ways of playing everytime based on which house you choose and which direction you want to go in game. It never gets boring or repetitive.

I've never even killed Smaug yet! Lol

#11 7 years ago

By the way, what I meant by my comment, is that to achieve anything in that game you need to be playing for a half an hour or more. I realize I'm not into long game times and I think that's why Hobbit turns me off.

#12 7 years ago

Game of thrones can also run long. You can progress pretty fast if you nail your shots, or you can grind out extra points and have longer games.

E.g. House stark can be beat in 3 shots, but the more shots you make before locking it in will add to your bonus.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Game of thrones can also run long.

...and by long, you mean about 3 minutes?

I must be doing something wrong...

#14 7 years ago

I've owned both and GOT is the better game for what I like. Those pop ups constantly coming up drove me crazy.

#15 7 years ago

hobbit hasn't turned out as near as good as what id hoped for, honestly! we'll see, the potential is there!

#16 7 years ago

Get game of thrones I feel like it has more strategy and when I play hobbit it feels a little to easy.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Get game of thrones I feel like it has more strategy and when I play hobbit it feels a little to easy.

That's what I'm leaning towards!

#18 7 years ago

If you don't like long games dump TH. It's that simple. I vote TH in a landslide over GOT, but I don't mind longer games. For you, get the GOT.

#19 7 years ago

well, tough one, over all I like the hobbit better and would go with it, however on a budget, GOT (I'd only buy the pro) is much cheaper and a solid game.

#20 7 years ago

Hobbit. I don't like games where half the playfield is obscured, got and wh20 are not really for me.

#21 7 years ago

Poll is currently at 50% to 35% in favor of GOT.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I've owned both and GOT is the better game for what I like. Those pop ups constantly coming up drove me crazy.

I have only played on route but this was a big deal with the Hobbit for me. Too many pop ups. I played at the pinball museum just the other day. It was cool but not something I would want in my collection. I have only played GOT pro a couple times in Las Vegas. I liked the way it played better.

#23 7 years ago

Got not even close and go with the pro

#24 7 years ago

Hobbit!

#25 7 years ago

The hobbit has a jjp Google group open for code update suggestions. Seems like there is going to be a significant update in the future if that helps your decision. Maybe less popups? Sometimes I like them because it makes it feel like you are fighting your way through a battle. Other times it pisses you off

#26 7 years ago

I need to spend some more time on GOT to give it a fair shot. Right now my biggest complaint about GOT is that the artwork comes across as being made for a generic castle game and that the pro model looks very cheap with a plastic overload vibe.

I've owned the Hobbit for about 10 months and have really enjoyed it. If you like objective based rulesets then you will like TH as it has one of the best quest based rulesets ever made. Also, with JJP's stellar code support history I'm sure more updates are coming.

The Hobbit is also loaded with toys and mechanical features. 4 pop ups which are utilized in unique ways in the games 30+ book modes, 11 drop targets which are also used very well, Smaug toy that rotates, speaks and lights up, mini LCD book toy, molded barrels on top of pop bumpers, 100% metal ramps and habit rails, kickback, lockdown bar button with multiple unique uses, 27" LCD display, etc. The game has a ton going for it.

Also, The Hobbit LE and SE have the best factory powder coat I've ever seen.

#27 7 years ago

I think you should really only look into the the comments of people that own or have owned both. If they have owned both and one has since moved on, that should give ya your answer.

Very very different games so this will be a tough one.

#28 7 years ago

I like hobbit and I like GOTLE. But art and presentation aside, I vote GOT PRO > TH > GOTLE.

You can't beat the speed, flow, strategies, and price of GOT PRO. The scoring dynamics are all over the place too with GOT in a very balanced manner. Some of the biggest jackpots in all of pinball to be awarded in this pin.

My only beef and caution to buyers on GOT is that the code needs polishing! These huge jackpots and fantastic modes are missing choreography and dramatic effects/call outs. Hobbit wins in that department hands down.

#29 7 years ago

Hobbit is floaty.

GOT is fast & furious.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I like hobbit and I like GOTLE. But art and presentation aside, I vote GOT PRO > TH > GOTLE.
You can't beat the speed, flow, strategies, and price of GOT PRO. The scoring dynamics are all over the place too with GOT in a very balanced manner. Some of the biggest jackpots in all of pinball to be awarded in this pin.
My only beef and caution to buyers on GOT is that the code needs polishing! These huge jackpots and fantastic modes are missing choreography and dramatic effects/call outs. Hobbit wins in that department hands down.

At the moment, the game in consideration is a GOT premium. Can somebody fill me in on why I've seen many people recommend the pro over the premium?

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

At the moment, the game in consideration is a GOT premium. Can somebody fill me in on why I've seen many people recommend the pro over the premium?

Because they're cheap bastards and can't negotiate upper playfields...ergo, the game is terrible.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

The pro doesn't have the upper playfield which blocks a lot of the sight lines. With the upper PF and the feed, the pro is much faster.

EDIT: And for many people the other "upgrades" I couldn't give 2 shits aboot and don't want to pay monies for.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

If you get a premium just know that unless the previous owner has made them already, the game needs lots of tweaking to even sniff the fun of the pro.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I think the Pro is the better playing version. I don't think the game improves much with the cost of the Premium/LE personally and I am not a fan of the upper playfield at all, it's just not well integrated. The Pro looks a little barren, but it plays great. When we had both on route here, players would choose the Pro over the LE, so much so that the op here that planned on selling one of his Pros and keeping the LE, decided to sell his LE instead. As you can see in all the for sale posts too, the LE is not an easy sale right now. There are lots of them for sale and many of the owners have not come to the realization that a GOTLE is not a $7,000 game on the secondary market. I know when a guy locally here tried to sell his, he didn't get any offers over $6,000 so he ended up keeping it.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

The LE looks amazing in person, the premium not so much, but still better than the pro.

That said, the upper playfield for one is just not coded well + the ball feeds to the upper pf way too often. The upper pf is much much bigger than it looks and obstructs way too much which takes A LOT away from the flow, speed, and overall feel of the game.

I know Ritchie designs his LE/prem first hand and pro second hand. But, it feels like the code was developed for the pro and it shows in every way shape and form. It's meant to be played fast, with combos and progression. The code just doesn't support the LE gameplay as good as it does the pro.

Even if both pins were $5k, I'd tell people to get the pro Unless they care more about looks than gameplay.

If your choice comes down to GOT PREM vs Hobbit; go Hobbit. Way more happening in that pin for the added features.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I think the Pro is the better playing version. I don't think the game improves much with the cost of the Premium/LE personally and I am not a fan of the upper playfield at all, it's just not well integrated. The Pro looks a little barren, but it plays great. When we had both on route here, players would choose the Pro over the LE, so much so that the op here that planned on selling one of his Pros and keeping the LE, decided to sell his LE instead. As you can see in all the for sale posts too, the LE is not an easy sale right now. There are lots of them for sale and many of the owners have not come to the realization that a GOTLE is not a $7,000 game on the secondary market. I know when a guy locally here tried to sell his, he didn't get any offers over $6,000 so he ended up keeping it.

It's amazing that you mention this – I'm in the same boat with my Hobbit Smaug. I have over $8500 in it with upgrades and I can't even get a $7500 offer for it. I really wish I would've kept my MMR order instead of switching over to Hobbit!

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

It's amazing that you mention this – I'm in the same boat with my Hobbit Smaug. I have over $8500 in it with upgrades and I can't even get a $7500 offer for it. I really wish I would've kept my MMR order instead of switching over to Hobbit!

Ah....i didnt look at your collection. It sounds like you have an offer for your Hobbit with a GOT PREM trade. If you're reason for not liking hobbit is value and you're abandoning ship, you're getting into the wrong boat!(...meaning GOT PREM). Not sure what your +/- cash difference is but it would have to be at least $1500-$2k. But price aside, you're abandoning one headache and inheriting another.

I say stick it out with Hobbit, its a fabulous game. What is it you don't like? Personally, if i owned hobbit, i would remove the Center drain save post (its not needed on this pin). make the outlane 'ring save' difficulty harder. Boost up the pitch to 7-7.5deg, wax the pf, and have at it. Hobbit is not intended to see every feature of the game each and every time you play it. It does have some repetition, but you can get a lot of rewarding play and diversity on hobbit with a harder setup machine. I'd play around with your settings and setup before thinking about trading, especially for a GOT PREM.

Otherwise, keep it listed for sale and move onto the next offer.

Just my 2cents.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, The Hobbit LE and SE have the best factory powder coat I've ever seen.

Hey, Don't forget my version the Black Arrow with black powder coat

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Ah....i didnt look at your collection. It sounds like you have an offer for your Hobbit with a GOT PREM trade. If you're reason for not liking hobbit is value and you're abandoning ship, you're getting into the wrong boat!(...meaning GOT PREM). Not sure what your +/- cash difference is but it would have to be at least $1500-$2k. But price aside, you're abandoning one headache and inheriting another.
I say stick it out with Hobbit, its a fabulous game. What is it you don't like? Personally, if i owned hobbit, i would remove the Center drain save post (its not needed on this pin). make the outlane 'ring save' difficulty harder. Boost up the pitch to 7-7.5deg, wax the pf, and have at it. Hobbit is not intended to see every feature of the game each and every time you play it. It does have some repetition, but you can get a lot of rewarding play and diversity on hobbit with a harder setup machine. I'd play around with your settings and setup before thinking about trading, especially for a GOT PREM.
Otherwise, keep it listed for sale and move onto the next offer.
Just my 2cents.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really worried about value, I just want a game I can enjoy especially considering how much money I spent on the hobbit. The offer I received is a Game of Thrones premium plus $1400 for my hobbit. My problem with the hobbit is after I spend a half hour to 40 minutes on a decent game and it ends, the last thing I want to do is start another game.

#41 7 years ago

I have a GoT Pro on location, a GoT premium in the basement, and friends with Hobbits. Hobbit is by far the most beautiful but if I had to pick I'd go GoT pro.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really worried about value, I just want a game I can enjoy especially considering how much money I spent on the hobbit. The offer I received is a Game of Thrones premium plus $1400 for my hobbit. My problem with the hobbit is after I spend a half hour to 40 minutes on a decent game and it ends, the last thing I want to do is start another game.

I say pair down to GOT. Has to be one of the best value games out there. You can always step up to a premium later.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I say pair down to GOT. Has to be one of the best value games out there. You can always step up to a premium later.

Right now the trade offer I have is a GOT premium plus some cash so I wanted some feedback from others who are familiar with both the hobbit and GOT Premium before I made a decision.

#44 7 years ago

Sorry keep forgetting that.

#45 7 years ago

as a GOTpre owner I rather put a GOTpro next to then a Hobbit. GOT kicks ass, gameplay- and rulewise.
Hobbit sure looks (as)good but its slow and too wide.

#46 7 years ago

Holy shit! I actually thought this was a joke. IMO it's like comparing Creature of the Black Lagoon to Last Action Hero. The Hobbit is much prettier, better built, amazing use of the theme, very deep, and is only going to get better and become a classc.
Game of Thrones looks and feels cheap in comparison. Just my opinion.

#47 7 years ago

Hobbit is anything but floaty and slow. It's not blazing fast like got, but it's not slow. Play one set up higher with the sound cranked up and you'll see. Got is an ok game, but hobbit is one of the best overall pins. However, everyone has a right to different opinions and both are good games. I vote hobbit easily though.

#48 7 years ago

Wow, this is very interesting. I have the Hobbit set at 7 degrees and love the game. It's really the one I play the most, I can't say how much I love it, and since I'm not that good I have plenty to look forward to.

So with Got I love the theme, not sure I want the upper play field, so when looking at the GOT pro, I see a pin that has so- so looks (especially compared to AS, Kiss, and GB) and the floor model I saw the play field had chicken pox. Maybe I should overlook those things and take the plunge anyway.

I can always sell it, and like SR games.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Hobbit is anything but floaty and slow. It's not blazing fast like got, but it's not slow. Play one set up higher with the sound cranked up and you'll see. Got is an ok game, but hobbit is one of the best overall pins. However, everyone has a right to different opinions and both are good games. I vote hobbit easily though.

Ya I play a hobbit on location and it was set up so slow with the flippers turned way down. Once I bought one I realized how much you can turn the flippers power up and make it steep. Still not as fast as GOT pro though. Both fun games and it's usually a preference to long adventure like games or fast quick ones

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

GOT is fast & furious.

Funny you say that, I am looking for a Stern to re-theme into The Fast & The Furious, is this is a sign?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-or-the-hobbit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.