Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160209_093757[1]_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrnyman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 8 years ago

Damn, Dwight fixed my favorite bug! When mystery is lit, no more getting a mystery award or extra ball on your next ball launch. instead it's always going to the castle like it's supposed to. That bug used to be a big help to me.

But yeah, 1.21 installed and no issues. The only problem I had is it was taking 2 tries to go up the elevator everytime after applying the update. Power cycled the machine, and all is well!

2 weeks later
#137 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yes...as far as I can tell. Just a word of warning: This whole Spike system just behaves...well...weird, for lack of a better word. When I put the board in, I immediately had a flipper freeze/lights out and panicked. But that was the last time. Then, shortly after, I had a few situations where the ball drained but wasn't recognized by the ball trough optos until I hit both flipper buttons. That, too, went away. It's almost like the machine has to think about what's been done and filter out the bugs. I've never seen another machine behave this way, and it's really strange.
But yes, my machine is working so far.

I had the same exact initial behavior happen with the new revision node board replacement including the ball detection failure (the trough optos are connected on node board 8 as well). The issues go away after playing for a while. But, when you power the machine on the next day they come back (my flippers were freezing like crazy the next day and the lower GI blinking out). You and I having the exact same problems with the replacements prove the new revision boards do not fix the problem! I emailed Chas last night, to ask him what's next. The way the problem shows up most frequently when the machine is first turned on smells like a capacitor problem to me. I asked him if he thought it could be a bad batch of power distribution boards. Sorry for the bad new Beez, but I don't think your problems are over either. Sadly your post cheered me up a little. I'm glad knowing I'm not the only one!

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Had the flippers and lights go out again today, but the upper flippers went too. Is this normal when node 8 fails? i.e.: are ALL the flippers on node 8 since they don't work independently?

Yes, the upper flippers are connected to node 8 so if the board is having issues they can turn off too. You're probably the first person who happened to notice the upper flippers go out when the lights and the lower flippers went out as well. It's probably happened the whole time since we've seen this issue. in the 1.21 readme, for the firmware update for the boards they talk about "improved handling of overcurrent conditions". Overcurrent on circuit boards is a bad thing. It means they are frying parts on the board. So when we are seeing the lower GI and flippers go out they are probably shutting off the current to the whole board after detecting an overcurrent condition to stop parts from frying on the board.

On the earlier code (1.01) they were definitely frying circuit components, because eventually you would just lose power for all coils associated with that board permanently and the board needed to be replaced. (Had that happen to me more than once).

I studied the hardware on the two board revisions (the old and new). Everything seems to be the same except they bridged a pin on two of the transistors together with a wire on the underside of the board. It works out to be the transistors for the right slingshot and right lower flipper on node board 8.

So, it seems to me they still have board issues for the Spike 8 48V driver node board that GOT LE/Prem node 8 uncovers. Why this one machine and board? Because it has two slingshots, two sets of flippers, and the lord of light target bank all tied to it. And a lot of those coils can be firing at once. KISS and WWE probably did not have as many coils firing at once on their 8 48V driver node boards (just like node board 11 on GOT LE/Prem which is also a 8 48V driver node board).

And nope, have not heard back from Chas yet...

#145 8 years ago

Chas emailed me that 1.22 code should fix my issues... I'll need two days to prove this.

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Still getting GI flicker on 1.22 code when both flippers are depressed, anyone else? I have had to reload code three times now.

Cap, do you have the latest revision node board for board 8 (with a wire bridging two transistors on the underside of the board? Mine's still loading the code, I'll let you know how it goes.

#151 8 years ago

Update Failed for me ... not very promising

#153 8 years ago

Anyone know any tricks if the update continues to fail? I tried reformatting my usb stick and re-copying the file, but it didn't unpack it again...it went straight to the update.

#155 8 years ago

Dwight,

What do you do if step 7 keeps failing? I get an "update failed" at 99% progress (at updating 767,xxx /768,xxx KB). The game does not want to re-unpack the .spk. Should I reload with 1.21 and then try to update to 1.22 again?

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from Xaqery:

Does it fail after a couple seconds or after minutes?
Please email me at [email protected]

email sent Dwight.

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

When I updated to 1.21 I tried three or four times and it failed right then and there. I deleted the file off of my USB, downloaded it again, put it on the USB, and then tried the update again. On the second time the updated succeeded and then progressed to do the node board update. Long story, but try starting over from scratch, even with the source file download.

Thanks for the tips,

Turns out my usb stick went bad. It wouldn't even update to a known good copy of 1.21. Found another USB stick I had, and the update was successful!

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Ok, so the engineer/worry-wart in me is wondering how this system is going to fail downstream. The Spike system is completely new to me, so apologies if this has been addressed multiple times. We've already established that all node board updates will be comprehensive with each new code revision, but how does it work for new node boards/replacement node boards? For example, lets say there's a stock of node boards sitting in STERN warehouse or at some vendor, a few months from now a node board blows, you order one, it comes in, how do you know what update level the node board is? Are we going to have to update our systems/node boards every time we get a replacement to make sure all boards are at the right software/firmware level? Is that going to wipe out our settings/scores each time? Just curious what to expect and plan for.

I personally have seen on my system that when you install a new node board on power on the machine recognizes that the firmware is out of date and does the update for that specific board. No worries there!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrnyman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-le-code-121-up-at-stern?tu=jrnyman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.