image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
c4988b46bac31120681bf6fb9aba7f599e73deaf_(resized).jpeg
article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408_(resized).jpg
IMG_3274_(resized).JPG
IMG_3145_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 471 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.
#351 8 years ago

I'm using standard flipper rubber.

The thing is that there are so many tiny differences in how each game is assembled one person may or may not have the same issue as the other. All I know at this point is with the bracket I get mystery rejects but without the bracket I don't. I've moved that thing back and forth a million times and it's the same result for right orbit shots. Moving it does change my left orbit shots though.

heck, when I first opened my game I could barely shoot the right orbit due to my right ball guide being bent out ever so slightly. I took it off and re-bent it to now have a nice flow/curve and the right orbit now works smoothly.

#352 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'm using standard flipper rubber.
The thing is that there are so many tiny differences in how each game is assembled one person may or may not have the same issue as the other. All I know at this point is with the bracket I get mystery rejects but without the bracket I don't. I've moved that thing back and forth a million times and it's the same result for right orbit shots. Moving it does change my left orbit shots though.
heck, when I first opened my game I could barely shoot the right orbit due to my right ball guide being bent out ever so slightly. I took it off and re-bent it to now have a nice flow/curve and the right orbit now works smoothly.

I see, perhaps some more alterations to your right lane ball guide may solve the trick then. In any case feel free o return shield for a refund

#353 8 years ago

Cap did you ever post instructions for re-routing wires from under the clear ramps?

#354 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Cap did you ever post instructions for re-routing wires from under the clear ramps?

No I have not, but it is easy once play field ramps are off, I will do a quick vid and post shortly, stand by.

#355 8 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

I see, perhaps some more alterations to your right lane ball guide may solve the trick then. In any case feel free o return shield for a refund

No need. It works as described. If I can get things to work without it I'll donate it to someone whom needs one. If not, I'll have to figure out if I like left or right orbits better. My intention of posting was to see if others had the issue and if there were any fixes to that and to also see if anyone had tried a different diverter arm.

#356 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

No need. It works as described. If I can get things to work without it I'll donate it to someone whom needs one. If not, I'll have to figure out if I like left or right orbits better. My intention of posting was to see if others had the issue and if there were any fixes to that and to also see if anyone had tried a different diverter arm.

I actually started developing plans for an arm, but was unable to finish it due to deployment reasons. I am surprised Stern has not redeveloped one....wait, no I am not.

#357 8 years ago

I get very smooth and fast left and right orbits - which I very much enjoy!

I am, unfortunately, consistently not registering lit Mystery and Extra ball shots on the right ramp. I should keep some sort of record, but I'd guess is LESS THAN 50%, possibly 25%/30%. Grrr. With glass off switch tests - I never miss. Odd.

Does anyone know what switch/opto registers these shots. Might be some other issue?

#358 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

I get very smooth and fast left and right orbits - which I very much enjoy!
I am, unfortunately, consistently not registering lit Mystery and Extra ball shots on the right ramp. I should keep some sort of record, but I'd guess is LESS THAN 50%, possibly 25%/30%. Grrr. With glass off switch tests - I never miss. Odd.
Does anyone know what switch/opto registers these shots. Might be some other issue?

I had this exact same issue. I bent my right orbit switch to be barely depressed to trigger micro switch. The switch is just right of the pops before the first interlock in right orbit. i would also not register some of the BWMB right orbit shots until I adjusted the switch.

#359 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Here ya go.

#360 8 years ago

Is there a video up on how to remove the upper playfield and ramp ?

#361 8 years ago
Quoted from ant68:

Is there a video up on how to remove the upper playfield and ramp ?

Scroll down to instructions

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-le-311-house-lannister

#362 8 years ago

I had this exact same issue. I bent my right orbit switch to be barely depressed to trigger micro switch. The switch is just right of the pops before the first interlock in right orbit. i would also not register some of the BWMB right orbit shots until I adjusted the switch.

Tweaked the switch, seems to be more sensitive. Nailed 100% of the lit right orbit shots on the first game back. Thanks!

#363 8 years ago

To:
Stern, Steve Ritchie, Chaz,

#wheresthefix

Setup my brand new game, and I have this left orbit issue.

#364 8 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

To:
Stern, Steve Ritchie, Chaz,
#wheresthefix
Setup my brand new game, and I have this left orbit issue.

yes yes yes

#365 8 years ago

I have installed the fix from capguntrooper
it works !!
thank you.

1 week later
#366 8 years ago

All,

Just spoke with Stern Tech Support. I was warrantying a bad switch for the upper playfield, and I asked about the left orbit. He said that the recommendation from engineering was to remove the 3 rubber rings on the red top lane posts (above the pops) - He said that all future GOT Premium models manufactured would not have rubbers on those 3 posts.

#367 8 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

All,
Just spoke with Stern Tech Support. I was warrantying a bad switch for the upper playfield, and I asked about the left orbit. He said that the recommendation from engineering was to remove the 3 rubber rings on the red top lane posts (above the pops) - He said that all future GOT Premium models manufactured would not have rubbers on those 3 posts.

Thanks for the update.

#368 8 years ago

I thought SR originally said NOT to remove those rubber rings. That it was not the issue?

#369 8 years ago

That sure is a shitty fix for a long awaited and common problem.

Thanks steve richie.

#370 8 years ago

Talk about throwing in the towel. WEAK.

#371 8 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

I thought SR originally said NOT to remove those rubber rings. That it was not the issue?

I called Stern about one week ago.

Chaz said to remove the rubber rings, AND that Steve and the team were working on a fix.

After the phone call, I checked my machine, and I saw the rubber was never installed at the factory.

Following that, I did move the diverter towards the front of the machine. That has helped, but it not 100% effective.

#372 8 years ago

Or you could just remove your diverter and slot the mounting holes out so you are able to move the diverter forward 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch, and then play the game with working orbits and forget about a fix. It is what I did and I don't ever care if Stern fix's it as mine is already fixed.

#373 8 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

All,

This is a huge mistake unless they fix the orbit issue. As it stands right now most people do not get past the first or second left post because of the flawed diverters, this in turn alters the ball projection directly into those posts where your ball ends up in pops. So just envision steel ball smashing hard plastic most left orbits. ALL BAD! That is why I also came up with the post sleeve rubbers to prevent them from being pulverized. So AGAIN, Stern decides to go with my DIY fix and not create or implement their own.
This is totally unacceptable in the case where all future GOT owners are going to have broken lane post issues and current owners are left with flawed machines. Let me be clear with this post. I am not badmouthing Stern at all, I am simply stating the facts at hand.

#374 8 years ago

I have an LE. My orbits (when hit well) rarely come back the way they came. I would say 75% of the time they end on in the POPS, which is ok. Maybe 15% go all the way around. If I remove the rubbers, I am sure the the vast majority of the orbits with flow completely around, but debating if it will really make the game better....Not really thinking the posts would get "pulverized" but who knows....

#375 8 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I have an LE. My orbits (when hit well) rarely come back the way they came. I would say 75% of the time they end on in the POPS, which is ok. Maybe 15% go all the way around. If I remove the rubbers, I am sure the the vast majority of the orbits with flow completely around, but debating if it will really make the game better....Not really thinking the posts would get "pulverized" but who knows....

watch the video again and you will see where the ball diverts directly into the posts, but hey have at it with Sterns "DIY FIX" your warranty will most likely be done when your posts are destroyed.

#376 8 years ago

Played a pro again last night. I want my orbits to work. Those smooth orbits coming back at you really make the game more fun and tougher. Still prefer my LE but I want my orbits.

I still think that the only real final fix is a replacement of the diverter itself to get rid of the gap.

#377 8 years ago

One would think Stern would just knock up a lot of diverters and post them out to people with the problems , really can't see why this has not been done .It's as clear as day there is a issue with it .

#378 8 years ago

I played a few game on my Premium today. Left orbit shots were quite smooth all the way thru! - using capgun's diverter mod & coil sleeves on the in-lane bumpers.

Quite happy with Premium's gameplay lately!

#379 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

I played a few game on my Premium today. Left orbit shots were quite smooth all the way thru! - using capgun's diverter mod & coil sleeves on the in-lane bumpers.
Quite happy with Premium's gameplay lately!

Good to hear , I may have to go that way also .

#380 8 years ago

Follow-up, cross-posting from the Club thread - thought it might better belong here:

The Problem:

With capgun's diverter mod installed, I was hitting consistently fast & smooth left orbits on my Premium (which made me happy), but was only registering about 25% of Mystery & EB shots to the right orbit (which made me crazy). Adjusted rollover switch sensitivity to no avail.

The Fix:

1. Removed the diverter mod as suggested by a couple others, but kept the coil sleeve bumper rubber replacements
2. Enlarged the mtg holes to permit a slightly forward positioning of the diverter arm assy
3. Removed a small burr that was forming on leading edge of the orbit lane guide where it meets the diverter arm. Smoothed with my dremel tool. Ball bounces due to the burr are now eliminated. Glad I noticed this issue early.

The Result:

1. Still getting perfectly smooth and consistent left orbit shots, all the way thru, without the diverter mod.
2. Hitting 100% of the Mystery and EB shots to the right orbit. From 25% to 100% - a very nice improvement, I must say!
3. This adjustment made me a very happy camper, and lowered my frustration level several notches!

#381 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Follow-up, cross-posting from the Club thread - thought it might better belong here:
The Problem:
With capgun's diverter mod installed, I was hitting consistently fast & smooth left orbits on my Premium, but was only registering about 25% of Mystery & EB shots to the right orbit. Adjusted rollover switch sensitivity to no avail. It was making me crazy to miss these shots in every game!
The Fix:
1. Removed the diverter mod as suggested by a couple others, but left the coil sleeve bumper rubber replacements as-is
2. Enlarged the mtg holes to permit a slightly forward positioning of the diverter arm assy
3. Removed a small burr that was forming on the orbit lane guide where the diverter arm meets the guide. Smoothed with my dremel tool. Ball bounces due to the burr are now eliminated. Glad I noticed this issue early.
The Result:
1. Still getting perfectly smooth and consistent left orbit shots, all the way thru, without the diverter mod.
2. Hitting 100% of the Mystery and EB shots to the right orbit. From 25% to 100% - a very nice improvement, I must say!
3. This adjustment made me a very happy camper, and lowered my frustration level several notches!

Good to know, your DIY alterations work, but a lot of people do not have the skills or tools to do what you have done and not all lane guides are shaped and installed the same. The reason why you were having right orbit issues was because of your shield emplacement. It is all about finding the sweet spot for your bracket. Everyone I have personally install brackets for are having 100% success shots.

#382 8 years ago

Good to know, your DIY alterations work, but a lot of people do not have the skills or tools to do what you have done and not all lane guides are shaped and installed the same. The reason why you were having right orbit issues was because of your shield emplacement. It is all about finding the sweet spot for your bracket. Everyone I have personally install brackets for are having 100% success shots.

No doubt its related to position. I did tweak the bracket's placement originally to maximize the left orbit results. I was concerned re-tweaking to fix the right orbit issue would undo my left orbit success. So, I thought I'd first give the bracket-less approach a try.

Just now I played several games. I actually made 3 left orbits in quick succession - left-left-left from the right flipper. Loved it! First time I have seen that on my Premium.

I wonder how long that burr had been there on the left orbit guide rail? Even though the burr was small, the ball clearly bounced off that thing travelling in both directions. That would certainly muck-up an already tight left orbit shot.

Glad I noticed as I was playing around with ball travel with the upper playfield off. Only barely noticeable visually or by touch - but plainly visible seeing the ball bounce while travelling over it.

1 week later
#383 7 years ago

Finally got a chance to play with capguntrooper's fix -- much needed as my game NEVER completes a left orbit which breaks the flow and kills my multipliers --> and really defeats the whole point of the left orbit.

I am very grateful to capguntrooper for taking his time to investigate and do this fix. Once I opened up my game the problem was very evident. Heartbroken that Stern has done nothing about this because GOT is the most interesting game ever made, but the masses have flocked to GB instead :/

Pretty confused about the negative push-back on this thread: not encouraging for a new pinside member. For people who are confused, try out the GOT pro and you'll see what the gameplay is supposed to be like. I still like the LE better, but having the left orbit shot fixed would be far much more betterer

#384 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

Finally got a chance to play with capguntrooper's fix -- much needed as my game NEVER completes a left orbit which breaks the flow and kills my multipliers --> and really defeats the whole point of the left orbit.
I am very grateful to capguntrooper for taking his time to investigate and do this fix. Once I opened up my game the problem was very evident. Heartbroken that Stern has done nothing about this because GOT is the most interesting game ever made, but the masses have flocked to GB instead :/
Pretty confused about the negative push-back on this thread: not encouraging for a new pinside member. For people who are confused, try out the GOT pro and you'll see what the gameplay is supposed to be like. I still like the LE better, but having the left orbit shot fixed would be far much more betterer

I have a pro, but I am surprised this hasn't been fixed yet!

Rob

#385 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I have a pro, but I am surprised this hasn't been fixed yet!
Rob

They haven't fixed the hardware issue on KISS so I doubt that they will do so for GOT LE/PREM owners as the game is still playable.

#386 7 years ago

I want to start by thanking capgun for the help and hard work and his gotle divertor helps a lot along with the Lane mod and I have been using them for months with good results and I just was tired of taking my game apart so I was satisfied with the orbit, but today I tryed one more time to get the game closer to orbit greatness by pulling the divertor coil mech and reamed out the holes enableing me to move the unit forward like some have suggested and removing caps divertor,this has solved my orbit trouble almost 100% and now I am enjoying my game as if it we're a pro round and round it goes just fantastic,I am not returning anything to cap and if anybody want the divertor let me know and I will send it to you.

I am also able to hit the extra ball and mistery 100% now

#387 7 years ago

rockrand, congrats on your "orbit greatness"!

Same here; like a new game to see that left orbit shot emerge so cleanly. Hitting Mystery and Extra Ball 100% is a nice side-bonus!

#388 7 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I want to start by thanking capgun for the help and hard work and his gotle divertor helps a lot along with the Lane mod and I have been using them for months with good results and I just was tired of taking my game apart so I was satisfied with the orbit, but today I tryed one more time to get the game closer to orbit greatness by pulling the divertor coil mech and reamed out the holes enableing me to move the unit forward like some have suggested and removing caps divertor,this has solved my orbit trouble almost 100% and now I am enjoying my game as if it we're a pro round and round it goes just fantastic,I am not returning anything to cap and if anybody want the divertor let me know and I will send it to you.

I tried to do this but it didn't work. I reamed the holes and placed it like in the pictures, but I didn't remove anything off the top of the playfield. Will I need to do this to get it sitting in the right place? Did you get rid of the post rubbers as well? I haven't done that.

#389 7 years ago

Hi rockrand -- would you be able to post some pics of just how far you moved the diverter ? And where you reamed the new holes? Thanks !!!!

#390 7 years ago

Btw, does anyone have simple instructions how to remove the entire iron throne assembly from the play field to get to the lanes ? I feel like I am disassembling way too much crap to make this happen.
Thanks !!!

#391 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

Btw, does anyone have simple instructions how to remove the entire iron throne assembly from the play field to get to the lanes ? I feel like I am disassembling way too much crap to make this happen.
Thanks !!!

It's the upper sneeze guard on the center ramp that gets in the way (at least for me). Only way I can get it off is to:
- Remove right ramp because you have to remove the mini PF.
- Remove dragon. It's only 4 screws and makes removing the mini PF easy.
- Remove mini PF.
- Remove center ramp.
- Remove the two screws holding the throne down

it really is a lot of parts to remove but after you've done it a couple of times it doesn't take to long. Don't forget to disconnect all the connectors under the PF before you remove things so you aren't having to lower and lift the PF with lose parts everywhere.

#392 7 years ago

Thanks 85vett

#393 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

...would you be able to post some pics of just how far you moved the diverter ? And where you reamed the new holes? Thanks !!!!

I reamed the 4 mounting holes in the diverter arm assy beneath the playfield. I used a stepper drill bit to increase the hole diameter to the next larger size, vs simply elongating them. Just now I inserted a drill bit into the mtg hole to determine the actual diameter. It is now just a shade larger than a 3/16" drill bit, but not quite 13/64". No need to go any larger than this as the diverter arm collar bumps into the cutout in the playfield and gives no additional slack.

The picture below shows the resulting gap. I must admit looking at it now - not a huge change in position, but a definite change in result. Maybe a net ~1/16" - 3/16" adjustment forward.

5-4-2016_5-28-20_PM_(resized).png5-4-2016_5-28-20_PM_(resized).png

#394 7 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

I reamed the 4 mounting holes in the diverter arm assy beneath the playfield. I used a stepper drill bit to increase the hole diameter to the next larger size, vs simply elongating them. Just now I inserted a drill bit into the mtg hole to determine the actual diameter. It is now just a shade larger than a 3/16" drill bit, but not quite 13/64". No need to go any larger than this as the diverter arm collar bumps into the cutout in the playfield and gives no additional slack.
The picture below shows the resulting gap. I must admit looking at it now - not a huge change in position, but a definite change in result. Maybe a net ~1/16" - 3/16" adjustment forward.

Your picture makes it look like you moved the diverter down / away from the flippers - but it your text says to move it up / closer to the flippers. Can you please clarify?

#395 7 years ago

Yes, moved foward toward the flippers. The gap you see at the red arrow (between the mtg bracket & edge of the playfield) was much smaller before I enlarged the holes. The bracket edge was ~almost flush with the playfield edge - maybe ~1/32" exposed.

The diverter arm collar is mashed-up tight against the playfield cutout - all the way forward. No more slack.

#396 7 years ago

Thanks for the clarification - I've gotta keep working on this!!

#397 7 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

This seems like a solid fix as well, just keep in mind though that if a fix comes down from Stern, then there might be issues if you physically altered the machine, alas, I do not see a foreseeable fix as promised from Stern. I wonder if GB LE owners are having any hardware issues as well. In any case, I am glad some GOT LE/PREM owners are getting their machines working properly, which was my main concern. For anyone not capable of implementing the machine alterations, I passed off my design to Cliff and he can get you what you all need while I am away.

#398 7 years ago

This seems like a solid fix as well, just keep in mind though that if a fix comes down from Stern, then there might be issues if you physically altered the machine, alas, I do not see a foreseeable fix as promised from Stern.

Altering the mounting hole diameters was initially a concern for me; I did not want to interfere with whatever (if ever) Stern decides as their recommended fix.

In the end, the impact of slightly enlarged mounting holes (vs elongated) should be negligible to whatever fix we ultimately arrive at. I can still accommodate the original/stock condition by simply repositioning the diverter arm assy. The enlarged holes are nice and clean and in no way look like a hack job; the next owner would likely never know I made this very slight alteration.

I was just down in the cave playing a few games. I managed another 3 left orbits shots in a row, in quick succession from the right flipper, then nailed the center ramp to beat house Martell. I beat that house with just 4 shots - quite amazing for me!! Awesome!

#399 7 years ago

I can move my mech back to the orginal position Easley but I don't think stern can do any better than what I did,I also did the lane mod as developed by cap with the sleeves and shrink and that is a must also,I fix the orbits but now am having throne bounce outs, O well I will get it sorted

#400 7 years ago

I did the mod on my GOT LE last weekend , made the diverter holes bigger pushed it forward remove the 3 post rubbers on top lanes .
Result, the pinball is working like a charm , feels so rewarding when you complete that left orbit freely as it should .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 471 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-le-311-left-orbit-fix/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.