image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
c4988b46bac31120681bf6fb9aba7f599e73deaf_(resized).jpeg
article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408_(resized).jpg
IMG_3274_(resized).JPG
IMG_3145_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 471 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
#201 8 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

But I never had a plunge that made the complete orbit. Now after adding the mod it is about 50/50 miniplayfield v full orbit on a plunge. Is this normal? Did I mess something up during reinstall (Maybe the left side metal flap thing ?

I have not installed Cap's fix, and have never removed the upper playfield. After the recent code update I began to have some plunges go right around and come down left orbit, and some that drop right into pop bumpers. Before this latest update 99% of plunges went to elevator. I think all of these issues with the diverter are code based. No offense to OP, and I greatly appreciate all of his experimentation and DIY projects, and I agree Stern has been way to slow/quiet about these hiccups; however, I believe that the ball not making orbits is more a function of the code, based on the active house, and maybe other things that I am too dumb to understand. I have seen changes which appear to be physical(such as increase in left orbit completion percentage, new plunge orbits around to left flipper, ball staying in throne more) but where I have made no physical alterations, and hence it is clearly code. I am getting complete left orbits about 40% of the time. I just think it may be a function of the house I am playing. Just my experience.

#202 8 years ago
Quoted from oPinsesame:

I have not installed Cap's fix, and have never removed the upper playfield. After the recent code update I began to have some plunges go right around and come down left orbit, and some that drop right into pop bumpers. Before this latest update 99% of plunges went to elevator. I think all of these issues with the diverter are code based. No offense to OP, and I greatly appreciate all of his experimentation and DIY projects, and I agree Stern has been way to slow/quiet about these hiccups; however, I believe that the ball not making orbits is more a function of the code, based on the active house, and maybe other things that I am too dumb to understand. I have seen changes which appear to be physical(such as increase in left orbit completion percentage, new plunge orbits around to left flipper, ball staying in throne more) but where I have made no physical alterations, and hence it is clearly code. I am getting complete left orbits about 40% of the time. I just think it may be a function of the house I am playing. Just my experience.

You have a good machine from sound of it. In order to see if you have good left orbits is simply to put machine in test and open the the orbit test menu to test if your orbits function properly. 83 brackets going out will attest to the fact that it is not a code based issue and my past videos on the matter clearly show it to be a hardware issue as is the case for most people and new premium owners I am shipping brackets out to.

#203 8 years ago

Cap, i think I have read all of your posts on the various GOT threads. Your first "fix" for the left orbit was to reduce the size of the rubber rings on the castle black lanes. You named the thread -FIX. You later acknowledged it didn't solve the problem. Then you made your diverter shield, which, from many posts I have read, including from you, did not solve the problem, and created some issues with right orbits as was reported by some. If it is hardware problem and your's is a "fix" then it should have fixed it 100%. You then posted that there are screws protruding down blocking the ball and showed a video. Even fixing that has not solved the orbit problem. But just because you have placed all these orders for your fixes does not prove your point. You and others have accused Stern of not testing, QC lapses, etc. and I agree on that. But how many fixes have you sent out, that don't work? I was merely pointing out to people that I have seen improvement in left orbit, just from the updates, or maybe just from the game breaking in. Again, I think it's great you like to tinker with your game and have enjoyed many of your ideas, especially castle black lights that you can see. And I appreciate your service to our country. But, GOT was my first pin. All these threads about problems, fixes, etc has diminished the enjoyment and I think it works people into a frenzy about their game not being perfect. In that state many people will order anything. If the issue is hardware as you say, then I wish you would refrain from proclaiming a FIX until you have one. I acknowledge it is not your job to fix the game, and this is your thread, but if you are peddling "fixes" that don't work, I am not down with that. I believe others will share my opinion here. And others will call me names.

#204 8 years ago
Quoted from oPinsesame:

Cap, i think I have read all of your posts on the various GOT threads. Your first "fix" for the left orbit was to reduce the size of the rubber rings on the castle black lanes. You named the thread -FIX. You later acknowledged it didn't solve the problem. Then you made your diverter shield, which, from many posts I have read, including from you, did not solve the problem, and created some issues with right orbits as was reported by some. If it is hardware problem and your's is a "fix" then it should have fixed it 100%. You then posted that there are screws protruding down blocking the ball and showed a video. Even fixing that has not solved the orbit problem. But just because you have placed all these orders for your fixes does not prove your point. You and others have accused Stern of not testing, QC lapses, etc. and I agree on that. But how many fixes have you sent out, that don't work? I was merely pointing out to people that I have seen improvement in left orbit, just from the updates, or maybe just from the game breaking in. Again, I think it's great you like to tinker with your game and have enjoyed many of your ideas, especially castle black lights that you can see. And I appreciate your service to our country. But, GOT was my first pin. All these threads about problems, fixes, etc has diminished the enjoyment and I think it works people into a frenzy about their game not being perfect. In that state many people will order anything. If the issue is hardware as you say, then I wish you would refrain from proclaiming a FIX until you have one. I acknowledge it is not your job to fix the game, and this is your thread, but if you are peddling "fixes" that don't work, I am not down with that. I believe others will share my opinion here. And others will call me names.

As stated before, you have a working machine, good for you. The shield bracket IS in FACT a fix, the rubbers just add additional wiggle room for improperly machined lane guides that cause less than smooth orbits. The majority of the people who have seen the videos and from their own experience do know that there is a hardware issue. The only people to share your opinion are the few that have a properly assembled pin with properly machined lane guides. I see no need to edit my video again to appease your opinion on a matter that has no weight or value since you have a perfectly good working machine. I think the 80 plus people who now have left orbits WILL prove my point. Yes, additional lane guide adjustments may need be done on users end for perfect left orbits 100% of the time, but that has nothing to do with my Shield bracket. I also think that because these machines were made with no margin of error, that less than perfect shots will be rejected or fall in pops. Pardon me for not catching every little problem with this pin and its many issues all at once. I am in NO WAY working people up in a frenzy as you state. If you have nothing positive to contribute please drain this topic and quit accusing me of peddling and scamming. Just because every single person has not gotten on my thread to say int works gives you no right to accuse me scamming people and I will gladly refund anyone who does not have a working FIX. Just another reason why I tell people to use pay for goods method and not send anything as a gift, so that they can recoup their funds if they can not figure out how to install their fix and get the wrong idea from some one like you attempting to poison the well.

FACT- GOT LE/PREM ownersNEVER being able to complete a left orbit now have the ability to do so with properly installed Shield Bracket.

The reason others will call you names is because I am contributing to the community where as you are making it a point to drag my efforts in the mud, nobody respects people like that.

#205 8 years ago
Quoted from oPinsesame:

I'm local to you, so I'd be happy to have you over to my house and walk you through all of my pins and the problems I've had with them (ACDC trough connector issues, WOZ light board issues, IJ POA and mode hole issues, etc., etc.). I'm serious about this offer.

The left orbit issue IS a mechanical/design issue, and I've talked to Chas at Stern who has confirmed that the engineering team has been looking at this. Capguntrooper is the ONLY person to come up with a home-made solution, and has taken the time to document all the issues. My left orbit works MUCH better now. Perfect? No. But that's because the installation didn't go smoothly for me, AND I didn' put in the washers for the screws sticking into the left orbit lane...also not a coding issue!

Now, my diverter doesn't allow the ball in for mystery shots since I did the orbit fix, and since I have to take it apart again to get it tweaked, I'd love for you to come over and watch me do it. You'll learn a lot about your own machine, and I'll show you IN PERSON exactly what's wrong with the design and how Capguntrooper figured out a fix.

Just PM me if you're interested and we'll set it up.

PS - My ramp to the upper playfield launched balls into the castle walls and playfield glass, jarringly hard. That's also not a coding issue, but thanks to a smart guy in Australia and Capguntrooper's advice, I got that fixed (along with my wall elevator, which now smoothly gets the balls to the upper playfield on the first try).

The offer stands!

#206 8 years ago
Quoted from oPinsesame:

WAIT! You haven't gotten Cap's fix and you are accusing him of scamming GOT owners? WOW DUDE, I hope your pin breaks down and Cap won't lift a finger to help you, but he is a better man than you and probably would help you out. Your worse than a Troll. Seriously dude thats a FU(#ed up thing to accuse and attack some one on with no proof. Everyone should file an attack on pinside member report on your lame AZZ.

#207 8 years ago

Awesome! I got downvoted by Centerflank because I said there was a design flaw with a Stern machine. Because that NEVER happens, right? You want to explain which part of my post you disagreed with? Because that downvote, my friend, was the slightest bit douchey when I offered my time, my home, and my knowledge to a complete stranger to help him with his pin.

#208 8 years ago

Coward. Keep sucking the Stern teat, and trolling JJP threads for their shortcomings. A coward AND a hypocrite.

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Awesome! I got downvoted by Centerflank because I said there was a design flaw with a Stern machine. Because that NEVER happens, right? You want to explain which part of my post you disagreed with? Because that downvote, my friend, was the slightest bit douchey when I offered my time, my home, and my knowledge to a complete stranger to help him with his pin.

I am curious about that too centerflank? Besides me being overly cautious of sending you a fix kit when you said it was not a big deal in other posts. Did you get it installed yet?

#210 8 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

I am curious about that too centerflank? Besides me being overly cautious of sending you a fix kit when you said it was not a big deal in other posts. Did you get it installed yet?

Well, things just got very interesting...

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The left orbit issue IS a mechanical/design issue, and I've talked to Chas at Stern who has confirmed that the engineering team has been looking at this. Capguntrooper is the ONLY person to come up with a home-made solution, and has taken the time to document all the issues

I agree the left orbit does not function correctly. I appreciate Cap being the first to examine it and document under the playfield pics, etc. All I intended to point out with my first comment was that based on what OTHERS including Cap himself have posted, his fixes did not solve the problem. The improvement in orbits that some have described is similar to what I have observed on my machine with no hardware changes and only code updates. Others have also posted about improvements in orbits over time. Again I think that Stern should fix the problem and I will wait for them to do so. I am sure Cap's posts and efforts have been followed by the Stern team and will prove to be invaluable. I just noted that I saw improvement with the new code. Maybe there is something to the magnet, diverter, etc in the code.

Beelzeboob, you can come play my machine and see if the orbit plays any different than yours.

If Stern had sent these "fixes" out to everyone, how many of you would be complaining?

The shield bracket IS in FACT a fix,

I would love to see a video of you shooting left orbits consistently. That would certainly be the pudding.

#212 8 years ago

The fixes worked on my machine and I appreciate having someone that is willing to share their knowledge and help me improve the playability of my machine. This game is all about flow, flow much better now.

There is always a trade off between profitability and quality. We all need the Mfg to be profitable so they can keep putting out great games like GOT. Just wish there weren't so many signs of cost cutting. Rattling backglass, screws too long, switch under the backbox, etc...
Every little detail goes into the fit and polish perception of the owner/player. My perception is this should be an extremely profitable game for the manufacturer. While I think I will always love playing this game and I love the game design, I will never hold it up as an example of craftsmanship.

#213 8 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

This game is all about flow, flow much better now.

Speaking of which I have been wondering how hard it would be to turn my Premium into a Pro. I like the color/graphics of the premium better than the pro but think that the miniplayfield interrupts the flow on the premium, the pro is just more fun. Maybe swap out a ramp, remove the miniplayfield and change the code. Does anyone think this might work?

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from oPinsesame:

I would love to see a video of you shooting left orbits consistently. That would certainly be the pudding.

There ya have it, with an added bonus of showing people how to enter the orbit test menu. I do not feel the need to provide constant repeated left orbit shots for hours on end. Without my bracket I was not once able to attain a left orbit. The entire reason the left orbit test was introduced in recent code update is because a lot of people are having issues with it. Normally I brush off trolls, but you accused of me peddling scams which is unacceptable. The core values I adhere to would never allow me to do such a thing, you sir on the other hand have shown that you have nothing to contribute hear and can only make sad attempts to muddy my efforts to assist others, please drain this thread and allow others to be assisted without your attacks.

#215 8 years ago

There ya have it, with an added bonus of showing people how to enter the orbit test menu. I do not feel the need to provide constant repeated left orbit shots for hours on end. Without my bracket I was not once able to attain a left orbit. The entire reason the left orbit test was introduced in recent code update is because a lot of people are having issues with it. Normally I brush off trolls, but you accused of me peddling scams which is unacceptable. The core values I adhere to would never allow me to do such a thing, you sir on the other hand have shown that you have nothing to contribute hear and can only make sad attempts to muddy my efforts to assist others, please drain this thread and allow others to be assisted without your attacks.
» YouTube video

oPinsesame insert foot in mouth. So now that you got your proof are you gonna man up and apologize for being a douche. I am surprised you haven't been ejected yet. Accusing Cap of scamming pinside members just shows you aint got honor dude.

#216 8 years ago

Hey Cajun,
Big Thanks for doing what you do. More now than ever, haters gonna hate. Stop by when you get to Phx AZ.
Mike V

#217 8 years ago
#218 8 years ago

Cap, I assume in orbit test mode the gate is open. Mine does the same, round and round, with no shield. The original question/problem was the orbit during regular game play. Clearly the code controls the gates. I am glad that your shield has worked for you and whoever has benefited from it. I only questioned it because you yourself had said that it didn't solve the problem, but made it better. That is why I suggested maybe it had to do with the code. I thought your use of the word 'Fix' was perhaps too strong. I admit my use of word 'peddling' was unfair. I never meant to imply you had dishonest intentions or were scamming people. As I have said repeatedly I appreciate your time and energy and investigation of the game. So I will leave it at that and leave your thread as you asked.

#219 8 years ago

In my test mode the left loop always ends up in the pops. Hopefully, I'll have time to remove the upper playfield this week and give all the suggestions offered a try. Thanks to Capguntrooper for the fix package. It showed up in the mail yesterday.

#220 8 years ago

On my Premium, left orbits would rarely if ever make it all the way around without dropping into the pops - in live play, or via manual handball trials.

Since installing cap's diverter mod, adding washers to the orbit lane guide screws and implementing the coil sleeve "rubber" idea, the vast majority of clean shots (mostly left-flipper backhands) into the left lane emerge from the right hand side, avoiding the pops. Manual handball trials make it thru 100%, just as in cap's video.

I'd call this a successful solution to the issue.

#221 8 years ago

I had the first le in the country but for only a few days and I realized the left orbit was off in the first few games,I had the game apart the next day to see what is going on,I taped the gates up and started to role the ball and also start the game to use flippers to flip the ball up the left orbit and could not really see why the ball was not making it around and put the game back toghter to play it,I did this again the next week to try again,I remember asking new owners if they were having left orbit troubles in the "gotle has landed thread" very early on and then owner started to see that the left orbit was not working as steve intended,I knew someone smarter than myself would come up with a fix and then capgun started to put his skills to work and presto,shield and ball lane mod was the cure,it worked for me and I want to thank capgun for all the work he has done on this game and others,its not perfect but much much better.

#222 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

On my Premium, left orbits would rarely if ever make it all the way around without dropping into the pops - in live play, or via manual handball trials.
Since installing cap's diverter mod, adding washers to the orbit lane guide screws and implementing the coil sleeve "rubber" idea, the vast majority of clean shots (mostly left-flipper backhands) into the left lane emerge from the right hand side, avoiding the pops. Manual handball trials make it thru 100%, just as in cap's video.
I'd call this a successful solution to the issue.

Quoted from rockrand:

I had the first le in the country but for only a few days and I realized the left orbit was off in the first few games,I had the game apart the next day to see what is going on,I taped the gates up and started to role the ball and also start the game to use flippers to flip the ball up the left orbit and could not really see why the ball was not making it around and put the game back toghter to play it,I did this again the next week to try again,I remember asking new owners if they were having left orbit troubles in the "gotle has landed thread" very early on and then owner started to see that the left orbit was not working as steve intended,I knew someone smarter than myself would come up with a fix and then capgun started to put his skills to work and presto,shield and ball lane mod was the cure,it worked for me and I want to thank capgun for all the work he has done on this game and others,its not perfect but much much better.

Thanks guys

#223 8 years ago

I can not speak for everyone, but I for one appreciate the help for the forum community. A lot of us have had problems with the left orbit dribbling into the pops. If you have a unicorn LE/Prem congrats your lucky. I for one would like my game to work as intended. I find it hard to believe that it was designed to dribble into the pops. So if a Fix can help that's awesome. Whatever that fix maybe mechanical or code .

#224 8 years ago

Cap is certainly on the right track here. This is a multifold problem with no simple solution. The word "fix" is a little strong because there is no easy fix for this. The diverter arm to ball rail interface is a problem, it is not a smooth transition and the shield helps it. The lane guide rubber is also a problem as it makes the ball path very narrow. The ball gates have also been a problem as some need to be bent up as they don't open up high enough. I just spent many hours doing all these improvements on a Premium and the game is still brutally hard. Even with the improvements it still takes a perfect shot to make the orbits and that is never easy to do. The right side ball rail may also be part of the issue as it takes a very sharp bend right before the right ball gate, it is a sharp 90 degree bend and if the ball isn't hugging the rail on it's way around it won't make a smooth corner in either direction. For now addressing these things is the best we can do. Even with these things tweaked out the game is still very challenging. I'm hoping Stern will redesign the diverter arm to smooth out the bump. I think that can be installed without removing the upper playfield. Hopefully they will release a factory fix or update soon.

#225 8 years ago

Played a few games tonite on my Premium. Got to WIC and immediately hit the left orbit - perfectly - all the way around and straight thru to the right flipper. This was followed without pause right back to and perfectly thru the left orbit again, grabbing full WIC value. It was glorious!

Just after this I hit like 5 center loops in a row under House Stark.

Felt like I was hitting the Spider-Man loops.

#226 8 years ago

An anonymous GoT owner was kind enough to offer the following slow-motion video of a ball navigating the left orbit diverter and guide.

It is very clear the curved shape of the diverter and subsequent harsh transition angle with the guide is causing a loss of momentum, dropping ball into the bumpers and thru to the pops. The ball seems to barely ride along the diverter arm, catching "air" early on.

Capgun's diverter mod smooths this clumsy transition. However, a better fix would be for Stern to rework the diverter's shape, to deliver the ball into the guide at a more reasonable angle, maintaining momentum thru the transition. This video shows the issue very clearly.

#227 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

The diverter arm to ball rail interface is a problem, it is not a smooth transition and the shield helps it. The lane guide rubber is also a problem as it makes the ball path very narrow.

I'm hoping Stern will redesign the diverter arm to smooth out the bump. I think that can be installed without removing the upper playfield. Hopefully they will release a factory fix or update soon.

Yes, re-doing the shape of the diverter is the ultimate solution. You can see in the above slo-mo video of the left orbit shot that the ball isn't even touching the diverter for the second half of it, so there's no guiding of the ball, curving into the rest of the transition, it just hits the stainless ball guide at the wrong angle and bounces into the top of the rollover lanes, killing momentum. If the diverter were in contact with the ball along the whole length and eased the ball contact angle by the time the ball got to the diverter pivot point end, the problem would be essentially solved.

Beautiful thing is, if Stern fixes the diverter arm, that's a dead simple fix that won't require top playfield disassembly since that diverter can be dropped down from the underside of the PF.

#228 8 years ago

I think the the problem could be the diverter is to far toward the rear of the cabinet. (Like stern said) the problem is that the diverter mech has no wiggle room in the mounts. I think it only needs to move a 1/16" to 1/8" toward the front of the Playfield. So I might remove the diverter and see if I can machine the mount holes a bit to allow the diverter to move forward.

A larger diverter arm might be what is really needed though.

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes, re-doing the shape of the diverter is the ultimate solution. You can see in the above slo-mo video of the left orbit shot that the ball isn't even touching the diverter for the second half of it, so there's no guiding of the ball, curving into the rest of the transition, it just hits the stainless ball guide at the wrong angle and bounces into the top of the rollover lanes, killing momentum. If the diverter were in contact with the ball along the whole length and eased the ball contact angle by the time the ball got to the diverter pivot point end, the problem would be essentially solved.
Beautiful thing is, if Stern fixes the diverter arm, that's a dead simple fix that won't require top playfield disassembly since that diverter can be dropped down from the underside of the PF.

That video makes it perfectly clear. The diverter arm needs a wider replacement.

#230 8 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Agreed! Key word is IF they fix it. I really hope they do, but I am not holding my breath. I told them how to fix their KISS saucer eject issues and thanks to some of the techs their they have owners reference my guide. The fact that Stern will not add two washers and reposition saucer eject coil to resolve the issue is beyond me. So I am left to believe that GOT is in the same boat. In any case, if I can not make the next big pin show I will mail anyone an extra shield bracket and some washers to present to Stern and say "Hey Stern, this is all you need to fix two of your pins" I would be very curious as to what the reply would be. I do not think in whole Stern is at fault, they just got a bad batch of lane guides, diverters and mode boards. It happens. I am more concerned with the constant GI flickering when depressing flippers. I hope this not a sign of a major issue for all of us in the future. I wonder if pro owners have this flaw Stern is aware of.

#231 8 years ago

Steve and Gary will be at TPF. I'd do it for you but I can't commit to being at their seminar since I'm playing in the tournament. I will ask Steve about it if we don't have an answer by then as he is always walking the floors.

#232 8 years ago

I wonder if pro owners have this flaw Stern is aware of.

The flicker is very very subtle, but it is there on my Pro. Stern also knows about it for sure.

#233 8 years ago

Agreed! Key word is IF they fix it. I really hope they do, but I am not holding my breath. I told them how to fix their KISS saucer eject issues and thanks to some of the techs their they have owners reference my guide. The fact that Stern will not add two washers and reposition saucer eject coil to resolve the issue is beyond me. So I am left to believe that GOT is in the same boat. In any case, if I can not make the next big pin show I will mail anyone an extra shield bracket and some washers to present to Stern and say "Hey Stern, this is all you need to fix two of your pins" I would be very curious as to what the reply would be. I do not think in whole Stern is at fault, they just got a bad batch of lane guides, diverters and mode boards. It happens. I am more concerned with the constant GI flickering when depressing flippers. I hope this not a sign of a major issue for all of us in the future. I wonder if pro owners have this flaw Stern is aware of.

That's my thoughts on the issue as well. I would like to see an official Stern fix, but in the meantime, it's nice to have an actual, tangible fix (and not a hypothetical fix from Stern) for the issue. I really am left wondering if the GI flicker is a firmware issue or what. Has it been there since the beginning with this code, or has it come and gone?

#234 8 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

That's my thoughts on the issue as well. I would like to see an official Stern fix, but in the meantime, it's nice to have an actual, tangible fix (and not a hypothetical fix from Stern) for the issue. I really am left wondering if the GI flicker is a firmware issue or what. Has it been there since the beginning with this code, or has it come and gone?

I wonder if something like that can be fixed with code. It seems likes electrical issue independent of code

#235 8 years ago

I think the easiest way to fix the Problem is to change or modfiy the diverter.
The Form have to be a little bit different.
The Ball glides not on it.

#236 8 years ago

Looking at the video again, maybe the left orbit guide is the cause. Seems like the guide itself is sending the ball onto that trajectory -over- the diverter arm.

Maybe if the guide had a shallower curve right near the end, the ball might actually ride along the diverter arm as intended? There's not too much wiggle room for guide adjustments, but maybe deforming the very end of the guide, ever so slightly toward the back, might help.

I may give this a try next time I have the upper playfield off.

#237 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Looking at the video again, maybe the left orbit guide is the cause. Seems like the guide itself is sending the ball onto that trajectory -over- the diverter arm.
Maybe if the guide had a shallower curve right near the end, the ball might actually ride along the diverter arm as intended? There's not too much wiggle room for guide adjustments, but maybe deforming the very end of the guide, ever so slightly toward the back, might help.
I may give this a try next time I have the upper playfield off.

I tried this. Didn't help.

#238 8 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I tried this. Didn't help.

Thanks! Good to know in advance.

#239 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Thanks! Good to know in advance.

There's just not a lot of room to tweak it at the end (there's a post securing it to the playfield nearby, too), and by then the ball already is moving at the angle of the ball guide length, so you really can't change enough by that point to make a difference. It seems like changing the diverter shape so the ball stays in contact is the best solution.

#240 8 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's just not a lot of room to tweak it at the end (there's a post securing it to the playfield nearby, too), and by then the ball already is moving at the angle of the ball guide length, so you really can't change enough by that point to make a difference. It seems like changing the diverter shape so the ball stays in contact is the best solution.

Agreed and that is essentially what I do with bracket

#241 8 years ago

I have to say these quality control issues have prevented me from even buying the LE. Had a chance to get a pretty good deal on one but passed primarily due to all these issues. If I can't make a smooth orbit without having to remove ramps and plastics to fix it then I really don't want the pin. Not to take anything away from this thread and all the cool pinheads sharing their fixes. You guys rock thanks for sharing the info.

#242 8 years ago

GoT newbie question. Thinking of buying and I am finding this thread very interesting.

That ball diverter opens up so the right orbit shot can travel to the VUK to the upper pf and the throne? Are there times when the right orbit should send the ball to the pops? Or should all orbit shots, left or right, travel all the way?

#243 8 years ago
Quoted from balselly:

GoT newbie question. Thinking of buying and I am finding this thread very interesting.
That ball diverter opens up so the right orbit shot can travel to the VUK to the upper pf and the throne? Are there times when the right orbit should send the ball to the pops? Or should all orbit shots, left or right, travel all the way?

Some shots are designed to send ball to pops for both orbits

#244 8 years ago

I wouldn't pass on this game due to the handful of items in this thread. I played the LE before knowing about any of these issues and I loved it. I can't wait to play one once I get it dialed in now. That, and the fact, that it seems like every model coming out of Stern right now is having some QC issues. I don't spend time in these types of threads for games I don't own (or want to own) but scanning through I see issues with just about every model going out the door now.

To me, the issues in this thread are no worse than when these games first came out:
- TWD - Lane guide issues preventing plunges from going to the top lanes, the head being so flaky with registering, the SDTM from the pops
- Met - Snake rejects, hammer lock issues, god forbid you get the Sparky locked on issues (burns the coil and kill your board)
- Kiss - Demon head SDTM, jacked up wire routing for the backboard magnet (I thought I read that it could get in the way)
- ST - magnetized balls under the vengence, ramps breaking prematurely

I could go on. It just seems as though things are worse with GOT but in reality it's par for the coarse for new games. Outside of the diverter everything in here (to me) is more about maximizing the games potential and dialing it in.

I'm, by no means, trying to give a pass to Stern here. Just wanted to call out that this isn't really all that out of the norm

#245 8 years ago

I hear you for sure you make valid points. Not being able to make a smooth loop shot on a stock SR pin is where I draw the line.

#246 8 years ago

Here's my approach to the left orbit issue. I hope that this doesn't detract from capguntrooper's shield fix; I plan to make one tomorrow and give it a try. My solution is not 100% either but it may help.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hey all - this comes straight from the king himself regarding the orbits. Hope this helps:
I am seeing that capguntrooper modified the rubber diameter at the top lanes on GOT LE. This is not the way to solve the problem.
Some diverters (the flat diverter that feeds the ball into the elevator) need to be moved fore and aft to determine a better position to stop interfering with a left orbit shot. capguntrooper’s diverter needs to have the screws loosened and the unit moved slightly toward the player end of the playfield. His orbit shot is hitting a ball guide end instead of being smoothly guided around the orbit through the pops by the diverter. Be sure and test for smooth orbits, both through the left orbit and the right orbit after adjusting, then re-tightening the diverter screws.

I gave this a try but the diverter just wouldn't move at all. So I removed it from the machine to have a look at it. This is the diverter housing and the pivot point needs to move toward the front of the cabinet.
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg
I drilled out the holes in the housing to allow some play when reassembling the mech. There's only about 1/8" play possible before the pivot would touch the inside of the collar on the Playfield so I removed about 1/8" material on the one side of each hole.
When the mech was reinstalled into the machine the diverter was able to move closer toward the front of the cabinet just a tiny bit. Before I started, the housing sat flush with the rear edge of the Playfield, now the housing sits back about 1/8"

So now when we look at the diverter from the top side the transition between diverter and rail is a lot smoother around the pivot point.

Heres a quick video with about 50% success coming off of the flipper. Considering that before I did this I had completed less then 10 left orbit shots in over 600 games. I'm very happy with the result, solid shots go around more often then not, it's only the poor shots that dribble into the pop bumpers.

#247 8 years ago

If stern could make some sort of metal piece that would wedge on to the diverter to make the curve more natural to the loop curve would make sense....

#248 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Here's my approach to the left orbit issue. I hope that this doesn't detract from capguntrooper's shield fix; I plan to make one tomorrow and give it a try. My solution is not 100% either but it may help.

I gave this a try but the diverter just wouldn't move at all. So I removed it from the machine to have a look at it. This is the diverter housing and the pivot point needs to move toward the front of the cabinet.
image_(resized).jpeg
I drilled out the holes in the housing to allow some play when reassembling the mech. There's only about 1/8" play possible before the pivot would touch the inside of the collar on the Playfield so I removed about 1/8" material on the one side of each hole.
image_(resized).jpeg
When the mech was reinstalled into the machine the diverter was able to move closer toward the front of the cabinet just a tiny bit. Before I started, the housing sat flush with the rear edge of the Playfield, now the housing sits back about 1/8"
image_(resized).jpeg
So now when we look at the diverter from the top side the transition between diverter and rail is a lot smoother around the pivot point.
image_(resized).jpeg
Heres a quick video with about 50% success coming off of the flipper. Considering that before I did this I had completed less then 10 left orbit shots in over 600 games. I'm very happy with the result, solid shots go around more often then not, it's only the poor shots that dribble into the pop bumpers.
» YouTube video

I tried your fix and it helped for me as well. Thanks for posting this!

#249 8 years ago

Not holding my breath, tho I still hope that STERN shoots us a fix soon.

#250 8 years ago

Someone have a reaction from Stern ?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
There are 471 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-le-311-left-orbit-fix/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.