image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
c4988b46bac31120681bf6fb9aba7f599e73deaf_(resized).jpeg
article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408_(resized).jpg
IMG_3274_(resized).JPG
IMG_3145_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 471 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.
#101 8 years ago

No one knows for sure. From my observation it looks like most on pinside have the issue, a few may be working properly, and I think most don't know there is an issue. A lot of first time owners who bought for the theme probably don't even know of pinside! Just my guess. Would love to see a poll. I really want to be optimistic that my game will come with a working full orbit shot.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

Stern said today that they are working on a fix and will issue a service bulletin when they have it finalized.

I hope the service bulletin is not the same one they are telling us all now. "oh just move diverter over and twist it" ......uuuuuuh yeah ok thanks for that. I hope it will be comprised of a part fix going out, but I am not holding my breath.

#103 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. Lots of people. Stern is aware of it, however it doesn't seem like they've done much to fix it.

So, end of the month, did it arrive yet???? Got Got?

#104 8 years ago

When I have it you'll know. Haha

#105 8 years ago

Some of you are having a ball jump at right ramp. Try sanding the top of your target if the plastic is not smooth like it was for mine. First run orders for Shield bracket are complete and will be mailed out in morning. Starting on packaging second run orders tonight, just have to cut some more throne cushions.

IMG_3077_(resized).JPGIMG_3077_(resized).JPG

#106 8 years ago

Has anyone else had their drop target get hit solid and it not drop? My wife and I have had this happen to us both. Makes it difficult to make the ramp shot. Or is it a rule thing? We are still learning the rules. Thank you

#107 8 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Some of you are having a ball jump at right ramp. Try sanding the top of your target if the plastic is not smooth like it was for mine. First run orders for Shield bracket are complete and will be mailed out in morning. Starting on packaging second run orders tonight, just have to cut some more throne cushions.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you should be able to adjust where the drop sits in terms of flushness with the playfield when down. I had to do this with my MET as one of the drops were too high after it was down. It made my ball stick in the graveyard. Haven't had to do it on GOT, but you should be able to. This will keep the ball from projecting off the target.

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from AJ51:

Has anyone else had their drop target get hit solid and it not drop? My wife and I have had this happen to us both. Makes it difficult to make the ramp shot. Or is it a rule thing? We are still learning the rules. Thank you

This usually caused by the target spring not being tight enough to drop the target on super fast hits. You can find the target sprint and pull it down and latch it half way. That usually solves it. See the Metallica drop target threads with lots of photos.

Also before anyone sands the top of the drop target, make sure your target is flush. The height of the drop target is adjustable under the playfield.

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you should be able to adjust where the drop sits in terms of flushness with the playfield when down. I had to do this with my MET as one of the drops were too high after it was down. It made my ball stick in the graveyard. Haven't had to do it on GOT, but you should be able to. This will keep the ball from projecting off the target.

checking to see if it is flush will work only if the top of your target is smooth, in my case where that plastic was cut from the mold the cut line was protruding and needed to be sanded down to make smooth, just look at any of your plastic shields and you will see where the mold was cut. Think of a model you put together that you snap out of the plastic frames, they have a little plastic extra protruding from the piece that was snapped out of the frame

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This usually caused by the target spring not being tight enough to drop the target on super fast hits. You can find the target sprint and pull it down and latch it half way. That usually solves it. See the Metallica drop target threads with lots of photos.
Also before anyone sands the top of the drop target, make sure your target is flush. The height of the drop target is adjustable under the playfield.

I'll check it out. Thank you

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from AJ51:

Has anyone else had their drop target get hit solid and it not drop?

Welcome to the world of Stern drop targets.
Thats why I NEVER aim for the ship on my StarTrek, direct/hard hits just don't register (or maybe only 1 in 5 or so)
Gave up in tweaking the mechanism and fixing that problem and just accepted the fact, that these single drop targets stink.

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

Welcome to the world of Stern drop targets.
Thats why I NEVER aim for the ship on my StarTrek, direct/hard hits just don't register (or maybe only 1 in 5 or so)
Gave up in tweaking the mechanism and fixing that problem and just accepted the fact, that these single drop targets stink.

The drop targets are a simple mechanism. It's a spring pulling down on a target and a target plastic resting on a shelf/ledge. If the ball hits the target, it knocks the target back and the spring should pull the target down. If this isn't happening when the ball hits it fast it's because the target rebounds into the shelf before the spring can lower it below that point.

The fixes are quite simple and it does not require hours of tweaking and giving up in failure. Tightening the spring almost always solves it as it allows the target to be pulled below the shelf level before the target can rebound. In some cases making the shelf less deep also helps. The whole thing can be fixed properly and permanently in about 10 minutes.

The same can be done to fix machine gunning targets in reverse. In this case, the problem is the target can't get onto the shelf on the coil reset. Here you either widen the shelf with a thin piece of plastic or you make sure you coil is sending the target high enough to get above the ledge etc

There is a lot of data in the avengers and Metallica threads on how to fix these things

#113 8 years ago

I had the same issue on ACDC. The cannon would not drop a target if hit in the center. It was fixed by holding the drop and pushing it back while forcing the sill over the edge. You can easily feel it by hand and just wearing it down a bit made it much easier to drop.

#114 8 years ago

If your screws are protruding into lane, you will need four or five washers per screw so that it does not smack against screws and create additional left orbit issues. Two other members have also reported this issue, so it is not just my LE.

#115 8 years ago

New to this sorry. I just got a premium. When you guys say oribt problem..... My shots always go around into the pops is this correct? from left to right into pops. from right to left into pops and ocassionaly all the way around I'm guessing depending on code? My right weak flipper makes it tough some of the time though the game is playable. Going to call Stern tomorrow.

#116 8 years ago

In some modes the right gate opens, ostensibly allowing for a complete clockwise orbit. Usually the ball falls into the pops before reaching the gate.

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

New to this sorry. I just got a premium. When you guys say oribt problem..... My shots always go around into the pops is this correct? from left to right into pops. from right to left into pops and ocassionaly all the way around I'm guessing depending on code? My right weak flipper makes it tough some of the time though the game is playable. Going to call Stern tomorrow.

right weak flipper as well, was that a code thing as I did not notice it before?

#118 8 years ago

Just got a premium myself same problem no full left orbit shots waiting to hear back from the originator to send my money and get this fixed

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Just got a premium myself same problem no full left orbit shots waiting to hear back from the originator to send my money and get this fixed

I will probably get to you're batch number tonight

#120 8 years ago

So I can confirm this issue, I pulled the upper Playfield off again today and noticed that the left screw was poking down and the ball was touching it as it rolled past. I didn't notice the right screw touching anything, but I'm going to add a couple washers to both screws so that the path is clear for the ball to roll through.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#121 8 years ago

sign me up for this

#122 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

So I can confirm this issue, I pulled the upper Playfield off again today and noticed that the left screw was poking down and the ball was touching it as it rolled past. I didn't notice the right screw touching anything, but I'm going to add a couple washers to both screws so that the path is clear for the ball to roll through.
image_(resized).jpeg

yet another thing to send a tech email to Stern about....uuuuugh I will call them tomorrow, and I would suggest everyone else do so as well

#123 8 years ago

yet another thing to send a tech email to Stern about....uuuuugh I will call them tomorrow, and I would suggest everyone else do so as well

This alone didn't fix the left orbit shot. I'm going to get some thin steel on Monday to make a shield for the diverter gap, hopefully that solves my issues

#124 8 years ago

I have to say, I'm in the market for a new pin and am very interested in GOT. Likely ready to order one this week. But all these reports of basic QC issues is turning me off. And for a game that was 2 years in the making? And was released in Sept but games still now 5 months later only trickling out?

It would sure be nice to hear from Stern on these issues (node boards, flippers, orbit, etc).

#125 8 years ago

Do it,it's still a ton of fun.
The issues will get worked out.

Love playing mine

#126 8 years ago

If your screws are protruding into lane, you will need four or five washers per screw so that it does not smack against screws and create additional left orbit issues. Two other members have also reported this issue, so it is not just my LE.
» YouTube video

Nice catch. I am going to check mine tonight.

#127 8 years ago

Lots of shield brackets going out tomorrow.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#128 8 years ago

I would be interested to know how good the shield bracket works for others.

I think that the real problem is the angle of the left orbit. Way too much room to rattle if you don't hit it absolutely perfectly.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I would be interested to know how good the shield bracket works for others.
I think that the real problem is the angle of the left orbit. Way too much room to rattle if you don't hit it absolutely perfectly.

This is true for some people, but as you said you have to get a good shot to left orbit. My bracket will allow a left orbit if this is done as opposed to NEVER having a left orbit. My videos clearly show that without the bracket it is bouncing directly into the center lane guide every time. My tests even showed that if you do not get a good shot into the left lane it will still end up in pops. I would attempt different angle adjustments on your end that may assist in better pass through of your left orbit.

#130 8 years ago

Not hating on your shield at all.

I'm just curious to know how many other people need adjustments beyond the screws on the left ball guide / the shield / the smaller rubber on the lanes to the pops.

I do not believe the shield alone will lead to near perfect orbit shots during real gameplay. Without the shield orbits would never work, for sure.

I'd be happy to be wrong. Do you have a video of it working from a flipper shot with the playfield in the cabinet and not in the service position?

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Not hating on your shield at all.
I'm just curious to know how many other people need adjustments beyond the screws on the left ball guide / the shield / the smaller rubber on the lanes to the pops.
I do not believe the shield alone will lead to near perfect orbit shots during real gameplay. Without the shield orbits would never work, for sure.
I'd be happy to be wrong. Do you have a video of it working from a flipper shot with the playfield in the cabinet and not in the service position?

Dude, just watch the second video on the first post. Capgun did like four left orbits without any issues play field looked down to me. I have read that some people are having issues with there interlock, maybe thats your bug.

#132 8 years ago

I want to see it working with the game reassembled and the shot coming from the flipper, not a handball.

The game clearly isn't on in that video. Also the left control gate isn't installed.

Who cares if the orbit works great when you handball it with the glass off? I want it to work consistently when actually playing the game, which is all that matters.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I want to see it working with the game reassembled and the shot coming from the flipper, not a handball.
The game clearly isn't on in that video. Also the left control gate isn't installed.
Who cares if the orbit works great when you handball it with the glass off? I want it to work consistently when actually playing the game, which is all that matters.

Just finished Martel a few times by making left orbits, not every shot made the orbit, but that was because some of my left shots were not that strong for those. Without the bracket I never once made a left orbit. I have had more than a dozen people report back as the bracket working for them. If you are not happy with it, please return it and I will gladly refund your money.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I wanted to tell le owners with left orbit trouble that capguns matel ball guide works so well that I did not have to mod my lane posts for it to work 100% if the time with good shots,just like it was degisned.get it now.
Thanks capgun

he also did the lane posts as well to assist with less than perfect left orbit shots, I have more PM's from other members saying it is all good now with left orbit

#135 8 years ago

If you are not happy with it, please return it and I will gladly refund your money.

If you're not happy with your order, you probably should just keep it and shut your mouth since Cap is heading to Afghanistan in April to put his ass in the line of fire. Who really cares about a few bucks when you look at it that way?

Not me. Cap...you'll get no bitching or refund requests from me. Keep up the great work!

#136 8 years ago

PROOF OF WORKING SHIELD BRACKET

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

If you're not happy with your order, you probably should just keep it and shut your mouth since Cap is heading to Afghanistan in April to put his ass in the line of fire. Who really cares about a few bucks when you look at it that way?
Not me. Cap...you'll get no bitching or refund requests from me. Keep up the great work!

LOL, thanks Beelze, but I am not asking for a pass cause I am on my way to my fourth deployment. I make a good product and I stand behind it. If anyone has issues installing or needs help adjusting my bracket, I am more than happy to call anyone up and help walk you through troubleshooting any issues. My customer support will not leave you high and dry with excuses of "I will get back to you". Not everyones machine was made just like mine as is evident with others having NO issues with their left orbits out of the box, but I am will be more than happy to get you guys up and running.

#138 8 years ago

This has nothing to do with whether or not I think the shield bracket is a good product. I've clearly said that it is.

I also never asked for my money back, nor do I want it.

The problem with hand balling the shot starting at the left orbit entrance is that the ball behaves differently when it's coming off of the flipper. The ball has more momentum coming off of the flipper and it doesn't hug the ball guide as cleanly as you show in your video, at least on my game. I believe this is because the ball is bouncing off of the left orbit guide a little and losing momentum near the top above the pops unless you have an absolute perfect shot.

I have spent 8 hours working on this problem over the last two days, including some advice from you over the phone. I can get the same hand balled results as in your video, but not coming off of the flipper. I'm at a 10% success rate, which is up from 0%. I've removed the control gates. I've remove the post lanes. To me it's all about the difficulty of getting the ball to ride that left orbit cleanly, before it gets to the diverter / gate.

Here are some things that I think would be helpful info for others trying to troubleshoot this:

Show a video of you making the shot with the flipper. What's your success rate out of 10 tries?

Show the angle that your spinner is mounted at (both the left and right side) as there is variance here.

Show the way that your right flipper is aligned against the mark in the playfield.

I suspect I have a node board going bad. Could that be impacting flipper strength?

This whole thing reminds me of the original TWD skillshot. You were supposed to hit the tower target but most if not all production games couldn't do that from a plunge, so they removed that aspect of the code.

Barring a hardware fix I wouldn't be surprised if future code took out the concept of full left orbit shots for this game.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

So pinside isn't the place to talk about troubleshooting issues with pinball machines? Get a grip dude. This has nothing to do with his service, which is admirable.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

So pinside isn't the place to talk about troubleshooting issues with pinball machines? Get a grip dude. This has nothing to do with his service, which is admirable.

I didn't quote you, so YOU get a grip. My point is that I wouldn't return a part that's that inexpensive, especially after he took the time to troubleshoot the problem, create a fix, and then craft and ship them. It would be up to me to make the fix work if it's been proven to work in videos. The fact that he's a serviceman makes me feel even better about letting him keep my money.

His fix is a hell of a lot better than the one Stern has sent me, that's for damn sure.

#141 8 years ago

LOL, thanks Beelze, but I am not asking for a pass cause I am on my way to my fourth deployment.

Who asked your opinion? What...do you think this is your thread or something?

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

This has nothing to do with whether or not I think the shield bracket is a good product. I've clearly said that it is.
I also never asked for my money back, nor do I want it.
The problem with hand balling the shot starting at the left orbit entrance is that the ball behaves differently when it's coming off of the flipper. The ball has more momentum coming off of the flipper and it doesn't hug the ball guide as cleanly as you show in your video, at least on my game. I believe this is because the ball is bouncing off of the left orbit guide a little and losing momentum near the top above the pops unless you have an absolute perfect shot.
I have spent 8 hours working on this problem over the last two days, including some advice from you over the phone. I can get the same hand balled results as in your video, but not coming off of the flipper. I'm at a 10% success rate, which is up from 0%. I've removed the control gates. I've remove the post lanes. To me it's all about the difficulty of getting the ball to ride that left orbit cleanly, before it gets to the diverter / gate.
Here are some things that I think would be helpful info for others trying to troubleshoot this:
Show a video of you making the shot with the flipper. What's your success rate out of 10 tries?
Show the angle that your spinner is mounted at (both the left and right side) as there is variance here.
Show the way that your right flipper is aligned against the mark in the playfield.
I suspect I have a node board going bad. Could that be impacting flipper strength?
This whole thing reminds me of the original TWD skillshot. You were supposed to hit the tower target but most if not all production games couldn't do that from a plunge, so they removed that aspect of the code.
Barring a hardware fix I wouldn't be surprised if future code took out the concept of full left orbit shots for this game.

10 out of 10 for me, but again thats 10 good shoots, if they are crappy, ball is coming back down left orbit or getting stuck in pops. If I cradle ball it's making a complete left orbit every time or if it rolls smoothly down lane to my flipper. When I feel up to it I might ask my wife to film me playing the game with glass on to show that I can make left orbits with the flipper or you could just take my word for it and I will go back to playing my GOT LE and making brackets for those still waiting. Listen man I get that your frustrated with your pin, but the problem does not rest with my fix, you just need to do some more twerking, adjusting, and balancing on your end and check other areas where you are having issues. I think you should adjust that diverter arm some more, and reposition your interlock to start, if you can't get it figured out after that you can call me again tomorrow and I will help you out.
Until then

#143 8 years ago

Wait till his node 8 boards start crapping out like mine have.

#144 8 years ago

Could it be flipper angle? Can you take a pic of the alignment of your right flipper? What pitch is your game at?

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Do it,it's still a ton of fun.
The issues will get worked out.
Love playing mine

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Great to hear. I agree with you that things will likely all work out. Its just too bad that the game is having this and other QC issues that you would think would have been noticed earlier by stern.

And also, thanks to Capguntrooper for identifying the issue and crafting a good fix. And especially for your service to those of us who enjoy the freedom that you protect. Big thank you from Canada!

#146 8 years ago

I sent a email to my distributer about this issue, he's going to relay the problem to his rep at stern.

The more people contacting stern about this the better, and the more likely that a fix will be sent out.

#147 8 years ago

I took some slow motion video on my game and believe that the problem happens before the ball gets to the diverter.

Cap, I know you're sick of me asking questions but you have more experience here than anyone else. Can you take a picture of what your ball guide alignment looks like at the transition to the diverter arm? I suspect that mine needs to be loosened and pushed back toward the diverter arm a little.

#148 8 years ago

Code update (1.22), to hopefully fix some bugs and help diagnose orbit issues:

LE/PREMIUM V1.22 - January 26, 2016
===================================
New:
- Added ORBITS test to DIAGNOSTICS menu.
Allows testing of left and right orbit action outside
of gameplay.

Fixes:
- Fixed an issue introduced in v1.20 in which the flipper power
would be turned off for 1 second under certain conditions.
- Fixed an issue in which the code on the topper node board was
not getting updated under certain conditions.
- Added topper effects.

Tweaks:
- Upper flipper - decreased flip power, increased hold power.

#149 8 years ago

So the slow motion part of this video didn't work but I'm posting it anyway. There's some dead time in the middle of the video, my apologies for that.

In this video:

My game is leveled with a 6.5 degree pitch.
The shield bracket is installed.
The left gate is removed.
I am making the shot from the flipper.
My horizontal diverter arm is flush against the ball guide.

Based on this I think that my left orbit guide is mounted too far forward. The ball launches off the end of it and doesn't roll along the diverter/shield/into the right orbit.

Anyone have any other ideas?

#150 8 years ago

If this is the wrong thread let me know. But what are the signs of a node board going out? I just placed my order for my GOT LE and I'm trying to get ready. Just wanted to know what to watch for on that issue.

Thank goodness I'm an NIB Avengers owner. Got me dialed in to adjusting machines for solid game play so I think I'm ready for the work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 471 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-le-311-left-orbit-fix/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.