(Topic ID: 138759)

Game Of Thrones Layout & Gameplay (talk of art will be banned)

By cooked71

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gotmoondoor.png
image.jpg
the_accolade-large.jpg
d-ndi8y5.png
got_le_thing.png
GOT_PF.jpg
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago

The other thing about the mini playfield is that it could be coded such that you have a limited time up there before the flippers die.

This would be a smart alternative to having the ball stay up there for too long, especially after the wwe backlash.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

The other thing about the mini playfield is that it could be coded such that you have a limited time up there before the flippers die.
This would be a smart alternative to having the ball stay up there for too long, especially after the wwe backlash.

I really hope this isn't required. This being required is just an admission that the playfield was designed to be too easy and that it isn't fun to stay up there as long as you can. Still with all the standups and what looks like kickers firing back, this might not be a problem. Very excited to try to the mini pf.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I really hope this isn't required. This being required is just an admission that the playfield was designed to be too easy and that it isn't fun to stay up there as long as you can.

Agreed, a timed mini playfield simply indicates a poor design.

#54 8 years ago

Designed by Steve Ritchie.

*drops mic, leaves thread.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeh, I thought they looked a little too large for the PF size - id be surprised if smaller than full size flippers are not used. It could just be the CGI makes them look larger. But with the dragon firing the ball back, you might want them larger.
Im really curious how the dragon firing back is going to work on the small PF. If it fires back as hard as ST ship, we're going to need good reflexes.

I don't think the dragon fires the ball back at you on the upper Playfield. I think the shot that the pro has fires back at you and it's the same on the le - the shot underneath the upper pf sorta like ironman.

I think we can see the shot flow better by studying the pro. The only difference I think will be the right ramp. The pro feeds a habitrail that comes back to the inlane and le feeds the upper pf. I don't think there's a vuk to reach the upper pf. Also I expect that sword lock to only be achieved by getting past the goals on upper pf (kind of like shadow).

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wait, when did it switch to FarSight over ZEN? I missed that.

Zen doesn't do recreations of real games also.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

What! Helen looks great.

Please!
Helen and Luci are "lipstick on a pig"

As bad as the acdc art is- at least its "in-theme." The luci/helen stuff take the artwork off-theme (IMO) for no other reason than to stick a girl on the machine....

Back on topic:
I hope the ramp feeding the UPF isnt blocked when the UPF isnt active- id prefer it to remAin "live" with some sort of diverter.... Otherwise theres only 1 fulltime ramp

I like ramps.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I really hope this isn't required. This being required is just an admission that the playfield was designed to be too easy and that it isn't fun to stay up there as long as you can

Not necessarily. Like saying any timed mode is too easy. Adding a time constrain on a specific objective is interesting.
For example, on an old Zaccaria game (Pinball champ), specific shots on the lower PF buy extra time on the upper PF. So you can decide if 10s is enough to accomplish your objectives, 15s would be nicer, etc... Opens lots of possibilities.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Back on topic:
I hope the ramp feeding the UPF isnt blocked when the UPF isnt active- id prefer it to remAin "live" with some sort of diverter.... Otherwise theres only 1 fulltime ramp

I like ramps.

Looks like the only way onto the wireform return on the left is from the UP drain.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So the right ramp with the Sword lock. Guessing thats going to work like the WOZ ramp - if lock is lit, the sword is down and locks the ball. If lock is not lit, the sword's up and lets the ball through like a regular ramp.

I'm guessing it will work like the sword ramp on LOTR. If not lit for lock and a ball is already there, the sword will release 1 ball and the active ball replaces it.

#61 8 years ago

So how long until a real gameplay video?

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

So how long until a real gameplay video?

Someone said Stern is making PROs this week, so perhaps at the end of the week you'll see a PRO video.

#63 8 years ago

Game looks too linear, not much on the sides, just shoot straight up over and over.

#64 8 years ago

I think the layout looks pretty cool and I'm eager to play it. I think 2 full size flippers on upper playfield is over kill, but maybe the geometry of the shots requires it? I love the mini Stewie playfield on FGY and think they could have done more with it on GOT with a smaller ball/flipper package. Include some orbits, etc.

One disappoint me for me are the three drops on the left. I've never liked a 3 drop bank. I didn't like it on CSI, I don't like it on TWD and I don't think I'll like it on GOT. 3 bank drops are too easily attained through sheer random ball play. I'd prefer 5 like on the old Ballys (and on Elvis). Or even 4 like on Tron and AVLE. 3 is just a tease.

Pro layout honestly looks pretty cool to me. Not sure I could buy it though. Depends on how cool each layout plays.

Just my $.02

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I played WWE a handful of times and my ball in ring times were extremely low. No timer needed.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Game looks too linear, not much on the sides, just shoot straight up over and over.

A lot of games have drainy targets on the sides like that though. Although I agree, I like games with shots to the far sides like the Lock/Away team shots, Woodbury, dead end/Crank it up scoop. KISS and AC/DC don't have much worthwhile on the sides either.

#67 8 years ago

I can't help comparing GoT Pro to IM. GoT will be almost as fast as IM, but the drop targets and sword lock will slow the ball down a bit in comparison. The Dragon kicker is just like War Machine, and the "Gold" targets are just like the Drone targets. The sword ramp looks like a screamer.

Comparing them in BOM terms:

GoT adds a drop target bank, a physical ball lock, battering ram toy and an action button on the apron.
IM adds 2 magnets, 2 more spinners, and the Iron Monger bash toy.

Trading the 2 magnets for drops and a lock would be tough. But if the rules and audio were amazing on GoT, I might be tempted to sell IM.

#68 8 years ago

The call outs are not going to be from any actors from the show besides the Hound

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/the-sweet-voice-of-kate-morris.27646/

#Fail

#69 8 years ago

Custom hound call outs with sound clips from the show will be fine. What did you expect them to get custom call outs from the whole cast?

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Custom hound call outs with sound clips from the show will be fine. What did you expect them to get custom call outs from the whole cast?

Why do you assume clips from the show? Did TWD have any? Also Stern is not doing the show plot (or modes), it's more like people and placed put into a RPG/Pinball game.

Avatar, IM and Tron got clips and I'm not sure about Avengers, but it seems like it's 50:50 if a game will get clips or not. I know PotC did not.

#71 8 years ago

some one said there will be sound clips from the show, was it on FB?

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't think the dragon fires the ball back at you on the upper Playfield. I think the shot that the pro has fires back at you and it's the same on the le - the shot underneath the upper pf sorta like ironman.

Got it from a quote on IGN...."The animated dragon in the LE version has a kickback under it which blasts the ball back at the upper playfield flippers when hit."

It's a tight space for a kickback.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Hi all. My name is Artie. But you can call me Art. I'm here to talk about myself.

Damn I love this man!

#74 8 years ago

it just seems to me to be another indicator of how far removed the game will be from the theme. some random woman with and English accent for all the main call outs including the jackpots, extra ball, etc (according to her post on the thread i linked)

I didnt expect custom call outs from the whole cast but i dont think the game will have much to do with the show other than the names of the houses and you are a random knight trying to do some random stuff in the game but no real integration with the show/books which disappoints me

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Why do you assume clips from the show? Did TWD have any? Also Stern is not doing the show plot (or modes), it's more like people and placed put into a RPG/Pinball game.
Avatar, IM and Tron got clips and I'm not sure about Avengers, but it seems like it's 50:50 if a game will get clips or not. I know PotC did not.

Not assuming from what I've heard sound clips from show will be integrated into the game. I sure hope this is the case.

Quoted from InfiniteLives:

it just seems to me to be another indicator of how far removed the game will be from the theme. some random woman with and English accent for all the main call outs including the jackpots, extra ball, etc (according to her post on the thread i linked)
I didnt expect custom call outs from the whole cast but i dont think the game will have much to do with the show other than the names of the houses and you are a random knight trying to do some random stuff in the game but no real integration with the show/books which disappoints me

I hear you. Custom call outs, sound clips & music from show combined with clever code could go a long way in immersing the players into the theme. I hope Stern comes through on these to make up for bad playfield art n plastic integration.

#76 8 years ago

From the feature matrix (for all models):

"Right plastic ramp feeds to chrome right wire ramp, Sword of Multiball, and right flipper return lane"

That means that same Right Ramp on the Pro (the green one) is hidden under the castle. And you can [barely] see the return for it in the LE playfield pictures, but it's there. When you have to shoot the right ramp, and your eye cannot judge the grade and curve, that's going to make for one hard shot I think. That is one evil, ingenious ramp layout!

Has there ever been a game other than GOT with a hidden ramp like that?

#77 8 years ago

The call outs are not going to be from any actors from the show besides the Hound
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/the-sweet-voice-of-kate-morris.27646/
#Fail

I'm not too sure about that. Think of all the great characters in the IJ series and Williams only got John Rhys Davies to do custom call outs. They are amazing and I don't think any other cast member could have done it with as much enthusiasm. The Hound call outs may be just what this needs to darken the mood.

#78 8 years ago

What's the deal with the -17 and -32 on the Wildfire light lock standups and the standups between all the ramps (with gold coin art around them)? Is there some sort of gold piece deduction penalty for bopping these instead of making your shots? The Lord of Light drops look like they have -28 "values".

#79 8 years ago

#Fail

Steve hired actual Brit and pinball champion Kate Morris to do the callouts? I say #WIN.
Plus, we've needed a game with a woman doing the standard callouts - I can't remember the last pin that did this.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

What's the deal with the -17 and -32 on the Wildfire light lock standups and the standups between all the ramps (with gold coin art around them)? Is there some sort of gold piece deduction penalty for bopping these instead of making your shots? The Lord of Light drops look like they have -28 "values".

Usually, numbers like that are some sort of inventory or control number for a part. So, for the playfield parts, they could be something like 5217-17, 5217-32, etc.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

What's the deal with the -17 and -32 on the Wildfire light lock standups and the standups between all the ramps?

I think all Sterns include the part # on every plastic and standup target decal. Older games too, if I'm not mistaken. After a while you don't notice it.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from Jrnyman:

Has there ever been a game other than GOT with a hidden ramp like that?

Maybe BK2K's skyway. Maybe a couple rear ramps like The Getaway hidden by a major playfield feature.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Steve hired actual Brit and pinball champion Kate Morris to do the callouts? I say #WIN.
Plus, we've needed a game with a woman doing the standard callouts - I can't remember the last pin that did this.

I think it's a great idea too. Star Trek did have a woman doing some of the callouts though.

#84 8 years ago

Thoughts? Oh wait, is this the wrong thread?

the_accolade-large.jpgthe_accolade-large.jpg

#85 8 years ago

For the bone heads slinging misinformation about just the hired actor doing all sound for the game.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Thoughts? Oh wait, is this the wrong thread?

the_accolade-large.jpg

Beautiful example of late 19th century art by Edmund Leighton. Notice how realistically he captures the drape of the material in on the dress....oh sh*t....just cant help talking about art.

But really, I know your referencing the sword ball lock on the right ramp.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Beautiful example of late 19th century art by Edmund Leighton. Notice how realistically he captures the drape of the material in on the dress....oh sh*t....just cant help talking about art.
But really, I know your referencing the sword ball lock on the right ramp.

Actually, this was nothing to do with GOT. It's one of my favorite paintings.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Actually, this was nothing to do with GOT. It's one of my favorite paintings.

Pretty sure that's a Polaroid dudes, but whatever

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

You're not banned. Taking about you is.
Crap, now I am banned.

I can't stop laughing!

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Got it from a quote on IGN...."The animated dragon in the LE version has a kickback under it which blasts the ball back at the upper playfield flippers when hit."
It's a tight space for a kickback.

I would not trust IGN, they get things wrong all the time. I would trust the feature matrix from Stern and THAT shows that the Dragon Kickback is on the PRO (as evidenced by the check mark to the right), and the PREM/LE has the Whitewalker Kickback which if you look at the renders is in the same geometric location as where the dragon kickback is on the Pro (ie. that shot below the upper playfield wood). I think those lanes on the upper pf correspond to the 'drop off lanes' that are listed in the feature matrix, which would drop them to the orbit.

#91 8 years ago

This is my favorite Thread!

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from Jojo1111:

I would not trust IGN, they get things wrong all the time. I would trust the feature matrix from Stern and THAT shows that the Dragon Kickback is on the PRO (as evidenced by the check mark to the right), and the PREM/LE has the Whitewalker Kickback which if you look at the renders is in the same geometric location as where the dragon kickback is on the Pro (ie. that shot below the upper playfield wood). I think those lanes on the upper pf correspond to the 'drop off lanes' that are listed in the feature matrix, which would drop them to the orbit.

Yeh, just checked the feature matrix again - looks like IGN stuffed it up. Was kind of looking forward to seeing how that would work, especially battling the Dragon in such a confined space.

Anyone know what a "moon door" is? (ie. Castle Upper Playfield with 2 Flippers, Loop Shot, 3 .5" Targets, 2 Drop-Off Lanes and Moon Door).

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

This is my favorite Thread!

It's always about you, isn't it? Reminds me of a guy with a Hellcat...

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Anyone know what a "moon door" is? (ie. Castle Upper Playfield with 2 Flippers, Loop Shot, 3 .5" Targets, 2 Drop-Off Lanes and Moon Door).

In the show the Moon Door is an opening in the floor of the Eyrie, which is a castle high up on a mountain, that basically drops down into nothingness for all intents and purposes. Shove someone out there and they'll have a long fall to think about how they're about to become a human water balloon.

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

In the show the Moon Door is an opening in the floor of the Eyrie, which is a castle high up on a mountain, that basically drops down into nothingness for all intents and purposes. Shove someone out there and they'll have a long fall to think about how they're about to become a human water balloon.

How great is it that they incorporated that into the game? This is what I'm talking about...there are details we don't even understand yet about this game, or how they work with the code. I still think it will be ugly but epic.

#96 8 years ago

I'm hoping they go off script and come up with some new callouts instead of "JACKPOT" and "SUUUPER JACKPOT!" Those words were never uttered by a Lannister (or a Klingon for that matter).

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I'm hoping they go off script and come up with some new callouts instead of "JACKPOT" and "SUUUPER JACKPOT!" Those words were never uttered by a Lannister (or a Klingon for that matter).

or Gimli in LOTR and i think it's one of the best super jackpot call out.

#98 8 years ago

I'm excited for this game (LE). It's completely different than every other game I own.

Art work the best? Nope.

However, Steve Ritchie is on a hot streak.

#99 8 years ago

so...what about the rules?
choose a house, shoot het flashing shots and it's complete?
do it over again for every house...?
that's it?

#100 8 years ago

It sounded like earning coins was a big part of the game. And buying upgrades within the game. So that's an aspect that is new.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-layout-gameplay-talk-of-art-will-be-banned/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.