photo2.jpg
image.jpg
images.jpeg
Tywin-with-Arya-and-Gregor-Clegane-house-lannister-31098131-768-432.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
MV5BMTQwMjEwNDQ1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAxODg4OQ._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg
utf.jpg
wSagdQJA.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#437 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm just salty because now I have to go remove all the radial gradients from my design.
I know some people are going to think I have an agenda here, but I was actually hoping this game would be awesome. I don't work for Heighway, pinball isn't my "job", I'm a fan first and foremost. I love the show, and if the game looked bad ass I'd be stoked for Stern.
I'm really sympathetic to license stuff. I've had my own battles on Alien to try and figure out how to work within the constraints I'm given. You gotta pick your fights, spend your capital wisely. And you have to be creative. If they give you a box of tools you figure out how to use those tools. Might not be the ones you wanted, but you have to stop wishing for a hammer and figure out what to do with a saw.
But it's really obvious there was a lot of freedom here. The big complaints have nothing to do with actual HBO assets. This isn't the "dwarf style guide" conversation from the initial Hobbit design. Whatever happened behind the scenes, whatever frustrations and battles there were, I just can't believe any of it ended with "well, we have to use a radial gradient here, sucks, but they're gonna yank the license if we don't".
I know I'm gonna sound like a dick here, but it's just lazy design. There's no getting around it. Why are the stock art coins repeated? Why are the inserts surrounded by cheesy bevels, that are too big so they overlap, with no rhyme or reason to which one is on top? Then you have icicles off one insert, that's "flat" against the playfield, but the icicles have a big ol' drop Shadow, like they're floating on a plane above the insert they're attached to? This is 101 shit here. It's almost beyond lazy to just pure "don't care". There's no pride in that work.
And to surround all of that with a huge background that's a giant radial gradient, literally the most useless of all the possible gradient shapes ... what in the heck is that about? It's just boggling my mind. At best you can use that gradient to simulate turned metal. People use it to make corny Apple icons like this:
Apple-01.png
Problem is, that gradient didn't even have the attention to detail that the above icon does. And if it did, what the hell is that supposed to be? No one has ever had a shield with a face made from turned metal. It makes no sense at all. That's not what any shield, ever, has looked like. Someone said "shit, what do I do with this empty space now that I've filled it with house shields? Uh, I guess I'll make it metal. Um, here, gradient, done, boom, let's go get some coffee."
I think we deserve more than that for our money. These toys are damn expensive.
Look, I'm not going to promise you that you'll like how Alien's art looks. I can't. You might not like it, you might think I didn't do it right. Hopefully you love it. I can't control that.
But I can promise you this: I've obsessed over it. I've watched the films frame by frame. Want to know how many scenes in Aliens have some interesting typography? Probably in the 70s, because I took 83 captures from it recently of all the UI and fonts and interfaces, just to keep them in mind as I'm working. I'm a huge fan of the movies, there's a limited edition Mondo print of ALIEN hanging behind me at my desk. I have a huge xenomorph bust. Toys, books, and I'm a long time fan of HR Giger.
Maybe I blow it. I'm not perfect. But it won't be because I didn't try. And GOT feels to me like someone didn't try or didn't care. And I wish they had, because I think this could have been something else.
Imagine for a moment that you did things differently than Stern. And you hired the same illustrator to do the playfield art. Gave him the CAD layout, roughed in ideas and explained the inserts, and let him paint that.
Keep the map idea, but have him paint a landscape on it in the style of the opening credits. Not random rusty gears from a straight up above perspective with drops shadows. A proper isometric landscape, with gears and building rising from the land, mountain ranges, forests, all rendered in his almost photorealistic style. Which when applied to fantastic elements, will bring them to life. When you apply that to people that look like PR shots it instead just looks like processed photography. Waste of time. Have him paint stuff his style makes cool. No stiff PR poses.
Rising from the ground between the flippers are the poles of the House Banners. Each one hanging in the breeze, slightly furled and moving around so that each one has a little character.
Towers and castles dot the map, and each house is represented. People would want one as wall art. Why not just go for it? Supposedly Steve has had 2 years to work on this, I bet the layout has been final for long enough to have that done.
For the LE, swap the backglass and side art!
Backglass: Dragon breathing flames, engulfing the frame in fire, and GAME OF THRONES in the flames, in mid-heat, like it is in the intro. Flames almost licking from inside of it.
On the sides of the cabinet stretches the unsullied army, and standing tall above them is the Queen of Dragons, with her dragons flying about her in the sky stretching the sides of the cabinet, and full of clouds and light. Smaller and to her sides are Drogo and her handmaiden, representing the transition points in her rise to power.
I'd be figuring out how to fit it in my game room.

You made me hate it more than I already did...

Looking forward to seeing Alien Pinball. It's the only remaining game that has my interest as theme for a potential NIB candidate.

#439 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Stern posted some images of the hand drawn sketches that became the LE artwork. Real effort when into this. I guess they still have to explain the playfield art .
11229292_10153582378859244_3992933764263989251_n.jpg 11928761_10153582381429244_8297525454451770447_o.jpg 11728915_10153582382399244_5905681936466426047_o.jpg 12002625_10153582382284244_7318290890868246345_o.jpg 11090931_10153582382234244_5028358639296391042_o.jpg

Why isn't this the artwork? They should have stopped right there. It looks better than the finished artwork, to me.

#493 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Bring on the competition. I hope Stern gets some fire back to bring it next time.

I know I'm only one person, but it's likely too late for me for Stern to win me over with a NIB purchase. They could make the cabinet art the best thing ever, but that PF is just so disappointing on GOT. I can't think of many current themes that I would like more than or even as much as GOT. For me GOT has better staying power as a theme than most movies or shows I've watched since it started airing. Stern really messed it up with this one.

Even if I don't think I would have been able to justify the cost, I still wanted the GOT pin to be one that I wished I could own. Now it's just going to be one I wished I would have liked. It could have the best gameplay ever, but it still looks like crap, and I'm not paying big bucks for an underwhelming theme integration.

Current themes from the competition: I can safely say that Hobbit is not a pin I want to own. The Big Lebowski and Rob Zombie are also not themes I care for. While not a current theme, Aliens may just be something that would at least make me wish I could own one... we'll see. Definitely like the theme.

I guess my point is that there are lots of themes out there, and not all themes will please everyone, but GOT was one that should have had me hooked based on theme alone.

#498 8 years ago

By the way, the Telltale Games GOT game integrates the theme very well. They even have hand-painted looking characters in some of the loading screens. At least where this game is concerned, it seems like HBO wasn't very restrictive...
GOT-Telltale Games.jpgGOT-Telltale Games.jpg

#504 8 years ago

I just re-watched the intro, probably not one of the more recent ones that shows a lot more places, but am I crazy that I'm only seeing like 2 gears total in the intro... and zero chains?

As far as I can tell, at no point are there two gears side by side where one spins to make the other spin, and certainly "gears" are not the thing that stand out to me in the intro.

#511 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No chains, but there are gears on almost every location:

I guess I can see a couple in most locations... still not very prominent, and definitely not all the same looking kind of gears.

Quoted from Aurich:

Still, I agree, the use of the on the playfield doesn't feel right. The gears were mechanisms to raise and move pieces, not objects in and of themselves to just be scattered around randomly.

I think what stands out to me is that the map in the intro is kind of the board where the "game" is being played. The locations come together as clockwork toys or peices in the game. If any one thing comes out of the intro as a potential candidate for the pinball's playfield, it's the map, not the mechanisms.

#514 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Also, if you actually look at each of the gears they don't interact with each other like an actual machine would.
They're almost all just overlapping each other, have different teeth that don't connect, some are metal and some are wood, etc...it's just really bizarre and isn't evocative of an intricately crafted toy like in the show opener.

For real! Look at these. How would these gears even spin? Their teeth are so pressed into each other than it would bind up, not to mention that somehow the centers overlap, but the teeth don't...

got_gears.pnggot_gears.png

#515 8 years ago

I feel like I could spend considerably less than 7K (and countless hours) and come up with a custom P-ROC GOT game that I'd like more...

Edit: Oops, quoted myself instead of editing...

#520 8 years ago

Not that I'd ever buy a 7k game for the "privilege" of redoing the artwork, but if you had a design that was better, what would it cost to sand a pf down to wood, print your new image, and have it clear coated? I'm not talking overlays, but actual direct printed wood.

#548 8 years ago

I don't know if these are just preliminary concept images, but for GOT Monopoly and Risk, it looks like no characters are displayed and the focus is on the house icons and the map.

In other media I'm not seeing where HBO is being restrictive with this license to the point where all products have the same look and feel and stock promotional images plastered all over.

Heck, take a look at the various GOT bobblehead packaging. I don't see any stock photos. I only see photos of the bobblehead itself...

No photos on the GOT action figure packaging...

As far as I can tell, there are no gears in sight... And no chains!

GOT07062015.jpgGOT07062015.jpg
game_of_thrones_mn_pr_web.jpggame_of_thrones_mn_pr_web.jpgfunko-game-of-thrones-ned-stark.jpgfunko-game-of-thrones-ned-stark.jpgfunko-GOT-3.jpgfunko-GOT-3.jpg

#563 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

If you are going to play a GoT boardgame, it should be this one. It is really, really good.

got-boardgame.jpg

That's not a product from the HBO license as far as I can tell. Maybe the books.

#655 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

If any modders take this idea and makes it awesome they’ll have my money. New playfield decal and slingshot plastics will help a lot.
It’s obviously just a sketch (that I wasted almost two hours on ), but is doable with major tweaks (for example, looking at it now I don't think it needs the two big swords).
It works on the Pro as well, finally giving that game a representation of the most recognizable object in the entire series…totally crazy that the throne isn’t on the playfield!
Stern may have tried this and there could’ve been a licensing thing where HBO told them not to cover up the throne, who knows. To me it’s a no brainer to present it as the centerpiece of the playfield underneath house sigil insert lights that go out as they’re eliminated from the “game of thrones.”
Unfortunately it doesn’t solve design problems elsewhere and has to be in the general style as the rest of the playfield as to not stick out like a sore thumb, but hey…what else can you do short of sanding it down and starting from scratch?
got_pf3_1.jpg
got_pf3_pro.jpg

That looks way better. Maybe there could be a couple of small insert decals to cover up the gears on the Lord of Light drop target inserts and the green Light inserts to the right? Maybe surround them with fire?

With your changes and possibly covering up a few more cogs, that looks better.

Still not sure I'd buy just so I could settle on putting decals on, though.

BTW, I think it would be hilarious if someone posted your image on Facebook and asked Stern why it doesn't look more like this.

#661 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Thanks. They should actually be different swords, both Longclaw and Oathkeeper, but I thought this got the point across without doing any more work.

Agreed, but if the art is locked, this is your dream theme, and the game is awesome what else can you do?

I can be grumpy and not buy! And then get happy that I didn't blow a huge chunk money on a pin.... and then go buy some fun and way cheaper games.

1 week later
#815 8 years ago

It's not a competition!
If it is, I'll let e4mafia win.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-images-are-up?tu=winteriscoming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.