photo2.jpg
image.jpg
images.jpeg
Tywin-with-Arya-and-Gregor-Clegane-house-lannister-31098131-768-432.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
MV5BMTQwMjEwNDQ1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAxODg4OQ._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg
utf.jpg
wSagdQJA.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rick432.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#237 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You know what? If you don't see it, then don't worry about it, and just enjoy it. Sometimes I wish I didn't notice things.
The more I look at the GOT playfield the more I see that annoys me. It's not healthy or fun.

I have no artistry background whatsoever.

I just know what I like.

When you point things out, Aurich, I find that it doesn't cause me to like or dislike the image any more than I already do: it just explains why the image provokes the response out of me that it does.

For example, YOU could probably articulate why the solid metal shield background on the main playfield looks awful to me, even though I couldn't explain to anyone why I hate its appearance so much. (And maybe you like it... I dunno).

But the game itself looks like fun to me. I think someone else said it best on this thread already when they said that the art is what you see when this game is turned off and becomes a piece of high-profile furniture, so the art is still very, very, important. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'll buy used, but probably not NIB, if the gameplay is there.

It's a shame because I think Stern missed a real opportunity here to make a heck of a package.

And I agree with someone else's comment about what's the point of having hand drawn art if it doesn't look hand drawn (WOZ is guilty of this sin as well...).

#241 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

SPOILER ALERT:
I think one problem in illustrating this title is most of the prominent characters from each of the main houses are dead now, so who do you choose to put on the back glass? I guess that didn't stop them from putting Drogo on the back glass but he seems out of place.

Maybe you put the crest of the houses with the main characters, alive-or-dead, around that specific crest? Family tree vs Family tree?

#254 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It just screams rush job. You don't fill in the the centerpiece of your playfield with a radial gradient and call it a day unless you're just trying to get it done without having to think about it any further.

I don't think she was a poor choice, just a pity the artist did the 3 people standing stiffly move. If it had been her riding her dragon, with the kingdom stretched out beneath her and her hair blowing back in the wind while the dragon roared for instance ...

How much cooler would an image like THIS have been? It's from 1981, yet I still remember it clearly...

heavy-metal-iconic-comic-heavy-metal-tv-show-movie.jpgheavy-metal-iconic-comic-heavy-metal-tv-show-movie.jpg

#268 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

It's unbelievable really. People bitch because most of the Pros are so close to the LE/Premiums that they cry foul over the extra dollars they spent for the Premium/LE. Now, Stern decides to make it a stark difference and the same people are STILL crying.
Me thinks these are the same people who generally cry about everything in life.

I'm only bitching about the plain art.

I want to be clear: I think the game looks like a lot of fun. Take the artwork/sound away between GoT (Premium), STID, ACDC, SM, and I really think this looks like the most fun. It's got a lot under the hood.

But the paint job and body design are just so meh. It could have been the complete package for not a whole lot more resource, just limited by the aesthetics.

That said, in the long term, the gameplay seems to be more important than the art, vis a vis Shadow, STID, etc. So ultimately, I think Stern has a winner here. Just not an undisputed champion, which is a shame because I think just a few art choices are what's keeping this one from firing on all cylinders. Art choices that really shouldn't have changed the cost of production for any of the models significantly.

Also, this would have been a FINE title to introduce an LCD and take advantage of the video assets offered by HBO's production. But that would have upped the cost of development. However, if Hobbit EVER gets released, if Hobbit coordinates its image assets well, people will be wondering why GoT is nerfed in that regard.

Guess you can't have it all: costs or features. But AESTHETICS shouldn't be something you need to sacrifice.

Anyway, we still need to see this playfield with coordinated RGB lights. If the plain STID starfield playfield can look good with proper lighting effects, GoT is likely MORE than salvageable.

Just it could have been much more without sigificant expense.

Still, it will be an excellent player. On this, I have NO DOUBT.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#273 8 years ago
Quoted from OilGuy:

This really reminds me of all the hype, then complaining, when STLE came out. Back then I was on the pre-order but backed out after reading all the negative comments from people that seemed very informed. Not going to do that this time, the game looks like a ton of fun. Although the art could be better, it looks good to me. I did get back on the list for STLE after a couple weeks, as did a lot of the big complainers, and have been having a blast. This game will sale well, and the LE's will be just that, limited.

Yeah, this is very reminiscent of the STID discussion. And without any lighting effects, STID has a very, very, boring playfield. But when it's alive, it works very well.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the same is true wrt GoT. It's just that it's a LOT of coin. Even more than STID. And some of the art choices just seem downright puzzling, when they wouldn't have affected the cost so much to have done them differently...

#423 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks. I didn't mean to make it so damn long, so if anyone didn't slog through it I don't blame you!
Anyways, it's just pinball. I'm passionate about the design side of things, it's part of why I love the hobby. I'm a player too, I want both. And that doesn't seem unreasonable, because I own lots of games that have both.
So I guess I just had to vent.

Oh, thanks for explaining to me, as requested, why I hate the look of that metalllic shield background so much.

So I'll just tell myself that my artistic intuition isn't far off from legitimate educated criticism.

#512 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No chains, but there are gears on almost every location:
» YouTube video
Still, I agree, the use of the on the playfield doesn't feel right. The gears were mechanisms to raise and move pieces, not objects in and of themselves to just be scattered around randomly.

From my limited viewing of the details on the playfield, I don't get the sense of texture from the playfield gears that I do from the GoT opening. They look like flat, 2D geometric designs on the playfield. No 3d feel to me, not because of the shadowing I think, but because of the repetitive nature and symmetry of the "gears." They don't look unique at each site on the playfield, like they would in a real machine.

#610 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's all they have. Just trying to get up some counter narrative. It will probably work too, people are suckers for blinking lights, and they got the thing nice and dark so you can not see the gradient behind the shield and convince yourself it's not so bad in person.

So it wasn't just me that thought it was MIDIfied?

Wait... you're saying the lights BLINK?

Omigod... LE LE LE LE...

#744 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Steve's famous quote is "If 2 people tell you it sucks, it sucks". I'd be curious to hear how he's handled the feedback on GoT.

Let me clarify on the quote: "If 2 people [who have actually played the game] tell you it sucks, it sucks."

That might be more in keeping with the spirit of the quote.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rick432.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-images-are-up?tu=Rick432 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.