photo2.jpg
image.jpg
images.jpeg
Tywin-with-Arya-and-Gregor-Clegane-house-lannister-31098131-768-432.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
MV5BMTQwMjEwNDQ1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAxODg4OQ._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg
utf.jpg
wSagdQJA.jpeg

There are 830 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.
#401 8 years ago

Iron throne

#402 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I don't care about the thumbs down, I just find it hilarious how quick we are with the hate, not just for the game but also the messenger

Ironically, there were NO thumbs down til after I posted pictures (which took a good twenty minutes because my phone is rubbish)

Did you consider that the thumbs down are not for the messenger.
-mof

#403 8 years ago

Does not look like it has any pop bumpers? Weird, not into it at all.....

#404 8 years ago

The art is really really bad. Hopefully it will be fun to play.

#405 8 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Does not look like it has any pop bumpers? Weird, not into it at all.....

Pops are on the right side near top of PF.

#406 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Does it matter anymore? Pinside Karma is gone so...who cares about thumbs ups or downs? I wouldn't care either.

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 1.38.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-09 at 1.38.23 PM.png

#407 8 years ago

The bad art and lack of toys is a mod designer/builder's dream release. There are a handful of people right now who are loving all the hate...

They stand to make a few bucks off of it.

#408 8 years ago

That STERN does not include a topper, colour DMD and a proper upgraded sound system on their PRE/LTD´s is just pure f*cking embarrasing... Isn´t LTD supposed to be something extra special ? Looking back at KISS which for gods sake is a ROCK THEME and listening to the sound that has NO BASS whatsoever is beyond understanding... Being the greedy monopolized (not for long though) gangsters that they are, a KISS Topper is now offered and sold separately.

KISS aside but high hopes for the premium/ltd versions will be a disappointing experience...

STERN, you are abusing the term LIMITED...

#409 8 years ago

The art package on GoT is a total fail!.
Almost two years in the making.It is such a Picturesque show.I am soooo disappointed.
I am forced to cancel my LE pre-order.
The only way I would be able to consider this game Is a total redo of the art.
Or wait for a different premium version like what they did with ACDC luci version.Assuming the original prem is a fail.But by the looks of the pro and le.That seems more than likely too be the case.

#410 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Pops are on the right side near top of PF.

yep, always under the top inlanes

#411 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Or wait for a different premium version like what they did with ACDC luci version.Assuming the original prem is a fail.But by the looks of the pro and le.That seems more than likely too be the case.

The problem is the worst of the design choices is on the playfield. That's not something that's historically been changed. I guess Luci got a couple demon girls on the lower playfield.

#412 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yep, always under the top inlanes

Not on KISS.

#413 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 1.38.23 PM.png

Hidden. For all to NOT see. Wait! Stop! We're going off topic. Must stop...

All joking aside, I do kinda miss it. Karma was a way newbies could know Vid was an "immortal".

#414 8 years ago

You would think that eventually they may make a machine with 1990s color DMD. My pinball 2000 with it's low res graphics puts anything Stern makes to shame. The ColorDMD guys love Stern, though

#416 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm just salty because now I have to go remove all the radial gradients from my design.
I know some people are going to think I have an agenda here, but I was actually hoping this game would be awesome. I don't work for Heighway, pinball isn't my "job", I'm a fan first and foremost. I love the show, and if the game looked bad ass I'd be stoked for Stern.
I'm really sympathetic to license stuff. I've had my own battles on Alien to try and figure out how to work within the constraints I'm given. You gotta pick your fights, spend your capital wisely. And you have to be creative. If they give you a box of tools you figure out how to use those tools. Might not be the ones you wanted, but you have to stop wishing for a hammer and figure out what to do with a saw.
But it's really obvious there was a lot of freedom here. The big complaints have nothing to do with actual HBO assets. This isn't the "dwarf style guide" conversation from the initial Hobbit design. Whatever happened behind the scenes, whatever frustrations and battles there were, I just can't believe any of it ended with "well, we have to use a radial gradient here, sucks, but they're gonna yank the license if we don't".
I know I'm gonna sound like a dick here, but it's just lazy design. There's no getting around it. Why are the stock art coins repeated? Why are the inserts surrounded by cheesy bevels, that are too big so they overlap, with no rhyme or reason to which one is on top? Then you have icicles off one insert, that's "flat" against the playfield, but the icicles have a big ol' drop Shadow, like they're floating on a plane above the insert they're attached to? This is 101 shit here. It's almost beyond lazy to just pure "don't care". There's no pride in that work.
And to surround all of that with a huge background that's a giant radial gradient, literally the most useless of all the possible gradient shapes ... what in the heck is that about? It's just boggling my mind. At best you can use that gradient to simulate turned metal. People use it to make corny Apple icons like this:
Apple-01.png
Problem is, that gradient didn't even have the attention to detail that the above icon does. And if it did, what the hell is that supposed to be? No one has ever had a shield with a face made from turned metal. It makes no sense at all. That's not what any shield, ever, has looked like. Someone said "shit, what do I do with this empty space now that I've filled it with house shields? Uh, I guess I'll make it metal. Um, here, gradient, done, boom, let's go get some coffee."
I think we deserve more than that for our money. These toys are damn expensive.
Look, I'm not going to promise you that you'll like how Alien's art looks. I can't. You might not like it, you might think I didn't do it right. Hopefully you love it. I can't control that.
But I can promise you this: I've obsessed over it. I've watched the films frame by frame. Want to know how many scenes in Aliens have some interesting typography? Probably in the 70s, because I took 83 captures from it recently of all the UI and fonts and interfaces, just to keep them in mind as I'm working. I'm a huge fan of the movies, there's a limited edition Mondo print of ALIEN hanging behind me at my desk. I have a huge xenomorph bust. Toys, books, and I'm a long time fan of HR Giger.
Maybe I blow it. I'm not perfect. But it won't be because I didn't try. And GOT feels to me like someone didn't try or didn't care. And I wish they had, because I think this could have been something else.
Imagine for a moment that you did things differently than Stern. And you hired the same illustrator to do the playfield art. Gave him the CAD layout, roughed in ideas and explained the inserts, and let him paint that.
Keep the map idea, but have him paint a landscape on it in the style of the opening credits. Not random rusty gears from a straight up above perspective with drops shadows. A proper isometric landscape, with gears and building rising from the land, mountain ranges, forests, all rendered in his almost photorealistic style. Which when applied to fantastic elements, will bring them to life. When you apply that to people that look like PR shots it instead just looks like processed photography. Waste of time. Have him paint stuff his style makes cool. No stiff PR poses.
Rising from the ground between the flippers are the poles of the House Banners. Each one hanging in the breeze, slightly furled and moving around so that each one has a little character.
Towers and castles dot the map, and each house is represented. People would want one as wall art. Why not just go for it? Supposedly Steve has had 2 years to work on this, I bet the layout has been final for long enough to have that done.
For the LE, swap the backglass and side art!
Backglass: Dragon breathing flames, engulfing the frame in fire, and GAME OF THRONES in the flames, in mid-heat, like it is in the intro. Flames almost licking from inside of it.
On the sides of the cabinet stretches the unsullied army, and standing tall above them is the Queen of Dragons, with her dragons flying about her in the sky stretching the sides of the cabinet, and full of clouds and light. Smaller and to her sides are Drogo and her handmaiden, representing the transition points in her rise to power.
I'd be figuring out how to fit it in my game room.

Damnit dude, you have to stop this. You're just making me hate the art even more because it doesn't look like yours!

#417 8 years ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

You would think that eventually they may make a machine with 1990s color DMD. My pinball 2000 with it's low res graphics puts anything Stern makes to shame. The ColorDMD guys love Stern, though

Why should Stern do this?

At this point it isn't eating into their sales. Meanwhile the "color screen" manufacturers are hardly making a dent in the market. JJP is putting out one game every 5 years, Heighway is strictly boutique, and Lebowski seems to have disappeared like a fart in the wind.

Stern's 1990s tech continues to serve the bottom line so don't see why everybody expects an urgency to change.

#418 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The problem is the worst of the design choices is on the playfield. That's not something that's historically been changed. I guess Luci got a couple demon girls on the lower playfield.

Well let's do a Dirty Donny GoT version!

#419 8 years ago

I have one thing to say...

Stern has returned to the Dark Ages. Stern 2002.

#420 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Hidden. For all to NOT see. Wait! Stop! We're going off topic. Must stop...
All joking aside, I do kinda miss it. Karma was a way newbies could know Vid was an "immortal".

I fucking love the color DMD's!

#421 8 years ago

I've seen some people arguing that the pro model is not bleak at all and that it even features more stuff than on previous games - but honestly, I can't see how someone can even come close to such a conclusion:
stprovsgotpro.jpgstprovsgotpro.jpg

After comparing these two games I also finally know what feels wrong for me on the GoT playfield:

It's the big, uninspired and way to cramped inserts for the individual shots.

Yeah, the shield section does also not look that great, but the style, size and arrangement of the inserts are what really bothers me. Unlike other games like ST they also do not resemble anything I know from the show.

Ok, I know, it's just a render image and the real deal may show some more details, possibly even decals on them. And of course, my linked picture shows an illuminated ST playfield while the GoT seems to be completely inert - so the comparison is not completely fair....but still.

#422 8 years ago

Aurich, I think some insight into the process of graphic design for a pin would really answer a lot of questions here. I don't think people really understand just how exacting branding can be with its use. I used to work in advertising and formerly did graphic design full time, so I know how much of a PITA the constraints can be with a brand. Constraints can definitely lead to more creative and positive outcomes, so it isn't always a design killer. I force myself to work within constraints for my own creative outlets for focus reasons.

#423 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks. I didn't mean to make it so damn long, so if anyone didn't slog through it I don't blame you!
Anyways, it's just pinball. I'm passionate about the design side of things, it's part of why I love the hobby. I'm a player too, I want both. And that doesn't seem unreasonable, because I own lots of games that have both.
So I guess I just had to vent.

Oh, thanks for explaining to me, as requested, why I hate the look of that metalllic shield background so much.

So I'll just tell myself that my artistic intuition isn't far off from legitimate educated criticism.

#424 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why should Stern do this?
At this point it isn't eating into their sales. Meanwhile the "color screen" manufacturers are hardly making a dent in the market. JJP is putting out one game every 5 years, Heighway is strictly boutique, and Lebowski seems to have disappeared like a fart in the wind.
Stern's 1990s tech continues to serve the bottom line so don't see why everybody expects an urgency to change.

I agree with you. As long as people are willing to piss away their money I guess Stern will take it. I enjoy buying the LE models 2 years old with 200 plays on them for 40% less and spend $400 to upgrade to color. So, everyone, please keep buying and selling these machines

I agree PPS is slow, but I think they will gain traction bringing back the top 10 Williams machines and will most likely do so with completely regenerated hi-res graphics. Time will tell.

#425 8 years ago

Stern posted some images of the hand drawn sketches that became the LE artwork. Real effort when into this. I guess they still have to explain the playfield art .

11229292_10153582378859244_3992933764263989251_n.jpg11229292_10153582378859244_3992933764263989251_n.jpg11928761_10153582381429244_8297525454451770447_o.jpg11928761_10153582381429244_8297525454451770447_o.jpg11728915_10153582382399244_5905681936466426047_o.jpg11728915_10153582382399244_5905681936466426047_o.jpg12002625_10153582382284244_7318290890868246345_o.jpg12002625_10153582382284244_7318290890868246345_o.jpg11090931_10153582382234244_5028358639296391042_o.jpg11090931_10153582382234244_5028358639296391042_o.jpg

#426 8 years ago

A for effort but the end result is still terrible. "F"

I'm on Ghostbusters watch now with the new LCD and Zombie Yeti on art.

#427 8 years ago

i think what the artist did on the LE is incredible, what i don't like is the choice of the characters with the mother of dragons.
other than that it's an amazing work.
imo LE cab looks great and the side of the backbox also.

#428 8 years ago

I gotta ask, "How did that guy lose his nipple?"
I've never watched the series...
-mof

Ouch, my nipple is now gone.pngOuch, my nipple is now gone.png

#429 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Has anyone asked yet, "Do we know how the man lost his nipple?"
-mof

This guy stole it.

bond-third-nipple.jpgbond-third-nipple.jpg

#430 8 years ago

O-din. How did you come up with the Golden Gun picture so quick?

#431 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This guy stole it.
bond-third-nipple.jpg

Gotchya.
-mof

#432 8 years ago

I'm thinking -- Kickstarter to help that guy get that fixed up?
-mof

#433 8 years ago

Like many have said, I think it's more the content of the art in the BG than the quality. I'm trying not to post spoilers for those who haven't seen the show but, you guys and gals who have, KNOW what we're talking about.

#434 8 years ago
Quoted from paulohotline:

GOT Feature Matrix is out!

GOT_Feature_Matrix.png

Never buy a Stern machine off of the feature matrix, they WILL remove things and not tell you.

#435 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

O-din. How did you come up with the Golden Gun picture so quick?

They call me Quick Draw McGraw.

#436 8 years ago

Having not seen the show, and hearing the criticism of the content, my first thoughts were someone in-house at Stern just pasted some people together, not watching the show. But seeing that someone took the effort to DRAW them all from scratch, I'd like to hear their process of how they settled on those characters.

#437 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm just salty because now I have to go remove all the radial gradients from my design.
I know some people are going to think I have an agenda here, but I was actually hoping this game would be awesome. I don't work for Heighway, pinball isn't my "job", I'm a fan first and foremost. I love the show, and if the game looked bad ass I'd be stoked for Stern.
I'm really sympathetic to license stuff. I've had my own battles on Alien to try and figure out how to work within the constraints I'm given. You gotta pick your fights, spend your capital wisely. And you have to be creative. If they give you a box of tools you figure out how to use those tools. Might not be the ones you wanted, but you have to stop wishing for a hammer and figure out what to do with a saw.
But it's really obvious there was a lot of freedom here. The big complaints have nothing to do with actual HBO assets. This isn't the "dwarf style guide" conversation from the initial Hobbit design. Whatever happened behind the scenes, whatever frustrations and battles there were, I just can't believe any of it ended with "well, we have to use a radial gradient here, sucks, but they're gonna yank the license if we don't".
I know I'm gonna sound like a dick here, but it's just lazy design. There's no getting around it. Why are the stock art coins repeated? Why are the inserts surrounded by cheesy bevels, that are too big so they overlap, with no rhyme or reason to which one is on top? Then you have icicles off one insert, that's "flat" against the playfield, but the icicles have a big ol' drop Shadow, like they're floating on a plane above the insert they're attached to? This is 101 shit here. It's almost beyond lazy to just pure "don't care". There's no pride in that work.
And to surround all of that with a huge background that's a giant radial gradient, literally the most useless of all the possible gradient shapes ... what in the heck is that about? It's just boggling my mind. At best you can use that gradient to simulate turned metal. People use it to make corny Apple icons like this:
Apple-01.png
Problem is, that gradient didn't even have the attention to detail that the above icon does. And if it did, what the hell is that supposed to be? No one has ever had a shield with a face made from turned metal. It makes no sense at all. That's not what any shield, ever, has looked like. Someone said "shit, what do I do with this empty space now that I've filled it with house shields? Uh, I guess I'll make it metal. Um, here, gradient, done, boom, let's go get some coffee."
I think we deserve more than that for our money. These toys are damn expensive.
Look, I'm not going to promise you that you'll like how Alien's art looks. I can't. You might not like it, you might think I didn't do it right. Hopefully you love it. I can't control that.
But I can promise you this: I've obsessed over it. I've watched the films frame by frame. Want to know how many scenes in Aliens have some interesting typography? Probably in the 70s, because I took 83 captures from it recently of all the UI and fonts and interfaces, just to keep them in mind as I'm working. I'm a huge fan of the movies, there's a limited edition Mondo print of ALIEN hanging behind me at my desk. I have a huge xenomorph bust. Toys, books, and I'm a long time fan of HR Giger.
Maybe I blow it. I'm not perfect. But it won't be because I didn't try. And GOT feels to me like someone didn't try or didn't care. And I wish they had, because I think this could have been something else.
Imagine for a moment that you did things differently than Stern. And you hired the same illustrator to do the playfield art. Gave him the CAD layout, roughed in ideas and explained the inserts, and let him paint that.
Keep the map idea, but have him paint a landscape on it in the style of the opening credits. Not random rusty gears from a straight up above perspective with drops shadows. A proper isometric landscape, with gears and building rising from the land, mountain ranges, forests, all rendered in his almost photorealistic style. Which when applied to fantastic elements, will bring them to life. When you apply that to people that look like PR shots it instead just looks like processed photography. Waste of time. Have him paint stuff his style makes cool. No stiff PR poses.
Rising from the ground between the flippers are the poles of the House Banners. Each one hanging in the breeze, slightly furled and moving around so that each one has a little character.
Towers and castles dot the map, and each house is represented. People would want one as wall art. Why not just go for it? Supposedly Steve has had 2 years to work on this, I bet the layout has been final for long enough to have that done.
For the LE, swap the backglass and side art!
Backglass: Dragon breathing flames, engulfing the frame in fire, and GAME OF THRONES in the flames, in mid-heat, like it is in the intro. Flames almost licking from inside of it.
On the sides of the cabinet stretches the unsullied army, and standing tall above them is the Queen of Dragons, with her dragons flying about her in the sky stretching the sides of the cabinet, and full of clouds and light. Smaller and to her sides are Drogo and her handmaiden, representing the transition points in her rise to power.
I'd be figuring out how to fit it in my game room.

You made me hate it more than I already did...

Looking forward to seeing Alien Pinball. It's the only remaining game that has my interest as theme for a potential NIB candidate.

#438 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Having not seen the show, and hearing the criticism of the content, my first thoughts were someone in-house at Stern just pasted some people together, not watching the show. But seeing that someone took the effort to DRAW them all from scratch, I'd like to hear their process of how they settled on those characters.

I think it is pretty straightforward. The LE is based on House Targaryen/Mereen (according to Stern's feature matrix). The characters on the backbox and translite are the characters from that faction/area.

For all of those who complain that Jon Snow should be on the machine, my guess is he will be on the Premium as it is supposedly the "North" themed machine.

#439 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Stern posted some images of the hand drawn sketches that became the LE artwork. Real effort when into this. I guess they still have to explain the playfield art .
11229292_10153582378859244_3992933764263989251_n.jpg 11928761_10153582381429244_8297525454451770447_o.jpg 11728915_10153582382399244_5905681936466426047_o.jpg 12002625_10153582382284244_7318290890868246345_o.jpg 11090931_10153582382234244_5028358639296391042_o.jpg

Why isn't this the artwork? They should have stopped right there. It looks better than the finished artwork, to me.

#440 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Why isn't this the artwork? They should have stopped right there. It looks better than the finished artwork, to me.

LOL, are you nuts? Pencil sketches on a pinball playfield and backglass? HAHA. Like that would work...
-mof

Oh wait...
http://classicplayfields.com/cent08.jpg

#441 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This guy stole it.
bond-third-nipple.jpg

In the bad old days of Pinside you'd probably have gone with the Martian from Total Recall. Just another example of creatively working within constraints.

#442 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Just another example of creatively working within constraints.

Thank you sir! And yes I am working...barely

#443 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i think what the artist did on the LE is incredible, what i don't like is the choice of the characters with the mother of dragons.
other than that it's an amazing work.
imo LE cab looks great and the side of the backbox also.

I agree for the most part not sure I'd say it's incredible but not as bad as some are making it out to be. It's the lack of characters or creativity on the playfield really brings down the total art package. Just not sure what whoever did the Playfield art was thinking.

#444 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Aurich, I think some insight into the process of graphic design for a pin would really answer a lot of questions here. I don't think people really understand just how exacting branding can be with its use. I used to work in advertising and formerly did graphic design full time, so I know how much of a PITA the constraints can be with a brand. Constraints can definitely lead to more creative and positive outcomes, so it isn't always a design killer. I force myself to work within constraints for my own creative outlets for focus reasons.

I'm very, very, sympathetic to the constraints of a license. I'm working with Fox right now, and they have a system for things, and you need to work within that system. Like it or not, it's how it works. And to be fair to Fox, they're a huge company, they're not going "oh, this is for that incredibly awesome hobby pinball? Here's a direct line to the president, let us know what you need!" You're in the same boat as the guys making lunch boxes, you need to stay on brand.

As I said earlier, sometimes you don't get a hammer, you get a saw. And so you might have to rethink what you're doing with these blocks of wood.

But that's the way it goes. You have to be creative and think your way through the maze, and try to not get too frustrated. And believe me, sometimes I need my own advice!

Here's what I see with GOT: They got permission for an artist to hand paint likenesses of the actors for the LE. That's a huge feat man. Ask Dutch Pinball, they couldn't get that for TBL. So right off the bat what I see is a license that has more freedoms than many.

They still had a style guide I'm sure. And an approvals cycle. Maybe it was a nightmare, I dunno. But no one at HBO demanded that background behind the shield was a giant gradient. That's not something that's "on brand", you can't blame the studio for it.

#445 8 years ago

Also, I really have no problem with the LE art. Good for Stern getting it hand painted. Bet it looks even better in person.

Problem is it will just make the playfield look even worse in comparison, they don't match at all.

#446 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Also, I really have no problem with the LE art. Good for Stern getting it hand painted. Bet it looks even better in person.
Problem is it will just make the playfield look even worse in comparison, they don't match at all.

This is what I keep saying!

#447 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

11229292_10153582378859244_3992933764263989251_n.jpg 11928761_10153582381429244_8297525454451770447_o.jpg 11728915_10153582382399244_5905681936466426047_o.jpg 12002625_10153582382284244_7318290890868246345_o.jpg 11090931_10153582382234244_5028358639296391042_o.jpg

Hand drawn art shouldn't look like it's a photo imo. It should have some art to it not just tracing from stock photos.

#448 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Hand drawn art shouldn't look like it's a photo imo. It should have some art to it not just tracing from stock photos.

art in quotes.
-mof

#449 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

For all of those who complain that Jon Snow should be on the machine, my guess is he will be on the Premium as it is supposedly the "North" themed machine.

yeah my guess also.

#450 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I agree for the most part not sure I'd say it's incredible but not as bad as some are making it out to be. It's the lack of characters or creativity on the playfield really brings down the total art package. Just not sure what whoever did the Playfield art was thinking.

yeah i still think the PF could have been better.
let's hope the art work on the premium looks great and make us forget about the PF (a little) with a great code and lighting this could be a great game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
There are 830 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-images-are-up/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.