photo2.jpg
image.jpg
images.jpeg
Tywin-with-Arya-and-Gregor-Clegane-house-lannister-31098131-768-432.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
MV5BMTQwMjEwNDQ1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAxODg4OQ._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg
utf.jpg
wSagdQJA.jpeg
There are 830 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 17.
#501 8 years ago
Quoted from Flack:

They had no problem hiring the artist to do nice hand drawn art. Why the hell would they pay him to put it on the back box sides where you won't be able to see it (at most locations). Money would have been better spent having him do the play field where it would be seen.

Yes, the potential was there all along... a simple collage of the otherwise impressive LE artwork on the playfield would vastly improve the game's appeal on all models... even if the cabinet/translites remained as magnified Sears family portraits. Why no action shots anyway? Stern has done quite a bit of that in the past.

#502 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

So I took to Photoshop trying to simulate how this might look in a dark gameroom environment

Good thinking. That helps for sure. I don't think the art will look better in person, but the game, come to life, probably will.

#503 8 years ago

What if the gray scale "shield" is actually a metallic that will reflect the lighting in an amazing way? Just thinking that stern couldn't be so lazy.

#504 8 years ago

I just re-watched the intro, probably not one of the more recent ones that shows a lot more places, but am I crazy that I'm only seeing like 2 gears total in the intro... and zero chains?

As far as I can tell, at no point are there two gears side by side where one spins to make the other spin, and certainly "gears" are not the thing that stand out to me in the intro.

#505 8 years ago
Quoted from taz:

"Why doesn't everyone just wait to see it in person instead of a dinky photo on your computers? Who judges artwork based on so little?"
Unfortunately, those who have only a few days to go through with their previously planned LE version or pass. Though, something tells me that LEs will be available for a long time.

A looooooooong time.

Most expensive pin by Stern and no shaker or color DMD

#506 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

So I took to Photoshop trying to simulate how this might look in a dark gameroom environment.
The good news is that it'll probably look...less bad when it's properly lit. With some great music, sound effects and lighting this could go from awful to pretty good. Also, if they're judicious with the colored inserts they can avoid the "Skittles" look (on the Premium at least).
Honestly, I'm going the extra mile in trying to convince myself that this will turn out because I've been waiting years for this game and what they've shown has been such a big disappointment so far.
I hope they start releasing more details around show clips, The Hound narration, GI colors, dots, and other things that are hopefully better than the artwo

got.png got_purple.png got_yel.png got_green.png

Dim lighting and cheap fabric thats how you move merchandise...

Mr. Seinfeld.

#507 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I just re-watched the intro, probably not one of the more recent ones that shows a lot more places, but am I crazy that I'm only seeing like 2 gears total in the intro... and zero chains?

No chains, but there are gears on almost every location:

Still, I agree, the use of the on the playfield doesn't feel right. The gears were mechanisms to raise and move pieces, not objects in and of themselves to just be scattered around randomly.

#508 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I think the art will be a non-issue once the lights come on. Remember Star Trek? Everyone barfed on that game too...and it's absolutely gorgeous when powered on.

...except for the Happy Meal artwork right in front of the flippers. That is not gorgeous.

#509 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

So I took to Photoshop trying to simulate how this might look in a dark gameroom environment.
The good news is that it'll probably look...less bad when it's properly lit. With some great music, sound effects and lighting this could go from awful to pretty good. Also, if they're judicious with the colored inserts they can avoid the "Skittles" look (on the Premium at least).
Honestly, I'm going the extra mile in trying to convince myself that this will turn out because I've been waiting years for this game and what they've shown has been such a big disappointment so far.
I hope they start releasing more details around show clips, The Hound narration, GI colors, dots, and other things that are hopefully better than the artwork.

got.png got_purple.png got_yel.png got_green.png

It helps - hmmmm

#510 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Still, I agree, the use of the on the playfield doesn't feel right. The gears were mechanisms to raise and move pieces, not objects in and of themselves to just be scattered around randomly.

Also, if you actually look at each of the gears they don't interact with each other like an actual machine would.

They're almost all just overlapping each other, have different teeth that don't connect, some are metal and some are wood, etc...it's just really bizarre and isn't evocative of an intricately crafted toy like in the show opener.

#511 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I guess I can see a couple in most locations... still not very prominent, and definitely not all the same looking kind of gears.

Quoted from Aurich:

I think what stands out to me is that the map in the intro is kind of the board where the "game" is being played. The locations come together as clockwork toys or peices in the game. If any one thing comes out of the intro as a potential candidate for the pinball's playfield, it's the map, not the mechanisms.

#512 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

» YouTube video

From my limited viewing of the details on the playfield, I don't get the sense of texture from the playfield gears that I do from the GoT opening. They look like flat, 2D geometric designs on the playfield. No 3d feel to me, not because of the shadowing I think, but because of the repetitive nature and symmetry of the "gears." They don't look unique at each site on the playfield, like they would in a real machine.

#513 8 years ago

If art matters, these games can still be found. I have all 3 for less than the price of a GoTLE. They do need a lot of love to keep running though...

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#514 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Also, if you actually look at each of the gears they don't interact with each other like an actual machine would.
They're almost all just overlapping each other, have different teeth that don't connect, some are metal and some are wood, etc...it's just really bizarre and isn't evocative of an intricately crafted toy like in the show opener.

For real! Look at these. How would these gears even spin? Their teeth are so pressed into each other than it would bind up, not to mention that somehow the centers overlap, but the teeth don't...

got_gears.pnggot_gears.png

#515 8 years ago

I feel like I could spend considerably less than 7K (and countless hours) and come up with a custom P-ROC GOT game that I'd like more...

Edit: Oops, quoted myself instead of editing...

#516 8 years ago

I think the inserts are just too big, so hard to get good art around. This why I don't like T2 or DM, but those are wide bodies; there is more room for bigger inserts.

#517 8 years ago

For real! Look at these. How would these gears even spin? Their teeth are so pressed into each other than it would bind up, not to mention that somehow the centers overlap, but the teeth don't...

got_gears.png

LOL like the developers know nothing about the show, they think gears are important or desirable.

#518 8 years ago

Please Stern make "The Wall" and the cold nights watch, the centerpiece of the premium package!!! Don't overload it with White walkers and nonsense. We want grim and cold!!!! You've got a buyer here if that's the case.

#519 8 years ago

GEARS are an homage to Mustang, duh.

#520 8 years ago

Not that I'd ever buy a 7k game for the "privilege" of redoing the artwork, but if you had a design that was better, what would it cost to sand a pf down to wood, print your new image, and have it clear coated? I'm not talking overlays, but actual direct printed wood.

#521 8 years ago

Not that I'd ever buy a 7k game for the "privilege" of redoing the artwork, but if you had a design that was better, what would it cost to sand a pf down to wood, print your new image, and have it clear coated? I'm not talking overlays, but actual direct printed wood.

Crossing fingers premium comes with unpopulated whitewood and all the parts in boxes

#522 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Crossing fingers premium comes with unpopulated whitewood and all the parts in boxes

And some paint by numbers art stencils?

That is some funny stuff right there....

Actually, I'd rather have my 8th grade girl, who's artsy, paint me some crap on a blank play field as a school project, much better.

#523 8 years ago

It's too bad they can't do quality licensed theme artwork like they used to. Those days are gone for good.

Shadow.jpgShadow.jpg

Johnny.jpgJohnny.jpg

#524 8 years ago

Looking at this game at a distance or up close, you have to admit, it is 100% Stern. All the complaints and whatever praises may be floating in this thread, Stern has given everyone exactly what Stern has done in the past, as far as I can remember.

The game looks, and will probably taste and feel like any other Stern game, whether it be a "good" game, like STLE or a bad one (you pick). The cabinet art work really is tolerable, when you come down to it.

The translites are kinda boring, with no centered theme, IMO. Game of Thrones is much larger than any one house, so to see it with Danni, and including Drogo (why) only, or any other house, is limiting in my opinion. I'd have preferred the opening logo of the series with the four house "Crest" heads on it.

But the real deal killer is whatever drives Stern playfield design and artwork. Stern has got to do something about their "drag and drop" looking playfields with dime store looking toys sprinkled on them. The layouts, and insert shapes may change, but they all look the same. The playfield artwork and toys make me sad on every Stern game I look at, and makes me never consider a Stern game as a purchase.

#525 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And some paint by numbers art stencils?
That is some funny stuff right there....
Actually, I'd rather have my 8th grade girl, who's artsy, paint me some crap on a blank play field as a school project, much better.

I definitely wouldn't try painting it but I know a very talented artist that can paint some awesome fucking shit that I'd love to put a bundle of cash in his pocket to do a 1 of 1 true LE

#526 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If art matters, these games can still be found. I have all 3 for less than the price of a GoTLE. They do need a lot of love to keep running though...

In my experience, owning several classic Ballys myself, they're actually very dependable machines.

But yes, the art on them tends to be beautiful. And the early games were designed as just blank whitewoods, and then they handed them off to the artist to come up with the theme and art. Kevin O Connor was into magicians at the time and boom, you get Mystic. Lots of fun.

It's much more challenging with a license. But I think we all figured with 2 years that this one would have some care and thought put into the art. Somehow it looks more rushed than any other Stern in recent memory though instead.

#527 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

I thought the swords were generic too, but I took a closer look:
11221982_10153578870614244_4864303468849691911_o.jpg
You can see that they both have different hilts. The one on the right is definitely Longclaw. I think this is the image it was traced from:
games_of_thrones_swords_longclaw_sword_of_jon_snow_image_2.jpg
On the left is Oathkeeper. Here's the likely source image:
oathkeeper-1000x563-1.jpg
They look generic and the same because the blade from Longclaw was copied and pasted onto Oathkeeper.

Thank you. That makes me feel a little better.

They did the Valyrian steel poorly.

#528 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's too bad they can't do quality licensed theme artwork like they used to. Those days are gone for good.
Johnny.jpg

You snarky bastard - JM is much better and you know it, Odin.

EDIT - maybe you're being serious, I should give you the benefit of a doubt.

#529 8 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

I agree the composition is boring. Something like this would be way better!

TARG.jpg

Sorry, i find that hideous.

#530 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

The fortunate thing about this game is that the inserts are so big that the lightshow might essentially blind out all the terrible playfield art.
Star Trek's playfield art was bad, but it wasn't technically bad. It wasn't thematically cohesive with the Star Trek brand. If I didn't see the Starfleet emblems, I would have assumed it was a Buzz Lightyear of Star Command game. It was only bad because it didn't fit. GoT is not the same this time, because the art is not thematically correct AND it's technically bad, or at least very lazy.
Here's the reason the graphic designers are complaining about the silver shield. It's not just that it looks bad, but that so little effort was taken to make it. It's just a quick Layer Style in Photoshop. I did this in about two minutes, which is a long time for this effect, to be honest. Aurich said earlier, why didn't they get one of their 3D guys to render a shield instead? This is pure laziness and apathy for the product.

I have NERD raged a bit over the past few Sterns for the use of Layer Styles such as the Bevel & Emboss and so on.... Glad others are seeing why I am so upset. Notice the screen capture of the Layer Style Menu, all of them layer styles are used on the playfield. However, the issue is not that they used them... These layer styles can be very useful when used as an accent. When you properly use these layer styles, no one should be able to tell you used them.

In Sterns case, they used every single layer style via its default setting 100% ALL OVER THE PLAYFIELD. This is not only unacceptable it is extremely unprofessional for a company like Stern. I wish... I could convince everyone how sloppy and cheap this is. I really hope, all of you who are interested in buying this turd reconsider. I think this is the only way for stern to wake up and hire real artists and designers and not some crack head off the street. I know I am not the only one who thinks this.... Pinball is art! Look at it's history, it is amazing. Now look at stern... At this point, if the crap they keep coming out with gets worse than this. I rather them go out of business and give the indie-shops a chance to sit in the throne. F**K you Stern.

#531 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I have NERD raged a bit over the past few Sterns for the use of Layer Styles such as the Bevel & Emboss and so on.... Glad others are seeing why I am so upset.

It took me a while to come around to your point of view. I get it now. It can be summed up in a phrase...lazy art. Your only sin was talking out-of-school to the rest of us.

#532 8 years ago

The one question I have, are the real actor's voices from the show going to be in the game, or is it just the Hound? Because if it's just him, it's really not going to feel like game of thrones. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

#533 8 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The one question I have, are the real actor's voices from the show going to be in the game, or is it just the Hound? Because if it's just him, it's really not going to feel like game of thrones. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Well hell, looks like we got us a white walker!

#534 8 years ago
Quoted from Chemixtry:

Capture.PNG
Is it me or does it look like there is a waste of space in the PRO upper left corner? Just a large plastic? Seems to cut down on some of the real estate.

You could put a mini PLAYFIELD there if you wanted

#535 8 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The one question I have, are the real actor's voices from the show going to be in the game, or is it just the Hound? Because if it's just him, it's really not going to feel like game of thrones. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere

Said on Facebook. There will be show call outs as well. Hound will provide unique pinball ones

#536 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I gotta ask, "How did that guy lose his nipple?"
I've never watched the series...
-mof
Ouch, my nipple is now gone.png

It's family friendly like pinside. No boobs, not even moobs.

#537 8 years ago
Quoted from RogerKlotz27:

Said on Facebook. There will be show call outs as well. Hound will provide unique pinball ones

Did they specifically say that? I thought I saw someone on FB asked if there would be voices from other characters (plural) and I believe Stern said yes.

Someone else specifically asked if there would be voice clips from the show and they were vague with a "stay tuned" kind of answer.

I seriously hope they don't try to squeak by with just voice work from The Hound and Melisandra. Or worse...more sound-alikes.

Also, it seriously sucks that the custom voice work from Rory McCann (The Hound) is almost entirely being overlooked because of the art...he has crazy good presence and his insult call-outs written by Ritchie could be epic.

#538 8 years ago

I have been excited about this title for some time now. I understand the complaints about the art, but for me I don't have that big a problem with it. Is it what I imagined? No. Do I think it sucks? No. I have been playing this game we all love for 35 years. And I am really stoked to play this table. Love me some Ritchie games and this one looks promising as heck! I buy pinball machines to play and this looks like a player. I have a feeling a lot of people whining about the art, alot not all, are the same guys that have machines sitting in their basement, on 5-ball play, unleveled, factory high scores still on the board and a layer of dust on the flipper buttons. I was around when Gottlieb closed (and yes it did suck at the time) and Williams closed (really sucked at the time). This is a great time for pinball, and I'm loving it. Hobbit Killer? WTF!! If I could afford it I'd own both GOT and TH.

Happy flipp'n dudes!!

#539 8 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

My 1980 Gottlieb Time Line disables the flippers in both the lower and upper PFs....when not 'in use'
I'm pretty sure Stern can figure out how to handle that

That's 35 year old technology. They probably don't make the chips for doing that feature any more.

#540 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

image.jpg image_1.jpg image_2.jpg

I think that mata hari back glass makes tiger law sad.

#541 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I think that mata hari back glass makes tiger law sad.

And also the real Mata Hari, who looked nothing like that, and probably never gave a secret map to a German "baron". Poor beautiful woman.

798f879657f24deabe9fd1417294908d.jpg798f879657f24deabe9fd1417294908d.jpg

#542 8 years ago

My sources tell me that the only line they got from the show was from Hodor.

#543 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

My sources tell me that the only line they got from the show was from Hodor.

But it repeats for every target/switch you hit so it won't be repetitive.

#544 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

You could fit a whole 'nother playfield up there!

What I meant is that the orbit could be place further out, leaving more room to put something there was all

#545 8 years ago

Did not start to see the whole show yet. So i am not sure how big of a part Carice van Houten has.

But she is into pinball, and last year she said she would buy a got pin instantly and would even do call outs.... FOR FREE!!!!

But not sure if she is a mayor player in this series.

(Will start looking when its finished, still avoided all spoilers so far, saw a few episodes season 1)

#546 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

The Valar Morgulis by the outhole just makes me more sad. That's a brilliant idea, and the only thing that makes it seem like the artist was even remotely familiar with the material.

It was probably some fanboy interns idea. "Hey! You know what would be kinda cool?"...

#547 8 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

But not sure if she is a mayor player in this series.

I warned you before didn't I? LOL!

#548 8 years ago

I don't know if these are just preliminary concept images, but for GOT Monopoly and Risk, it looks like no characters are displayed and the focus is on the house icons and the map.

In other media I'm not seeing where HBO is being restrictive with this license to the point where all products have the same look and feel and stock promotional images plastered all over.

Heck, take a look at the various GOT bobblehead packaging. I don't see any stock photos. I only see photos of the bobblehead itself...

No photos on the GOT action figure packaging...

As far as I can tell, there are no gears in sight... And no chains!

GOT07062015.jpgGOT07062015.jpg
game_of_thrones_mn_pr_web.jpggame_of_thrones_mn_pr_web.jpgfunko-game-of-thrones-ned-stark.jpgfunko-game-of-thrones-ned-stark.jpgfunko-GOT-3.jpgfunko-GOT-3.jpg

#549 8 years ago

I don't know if these are just preliminary concept images, but for GOT Monopoly and Risk, it looks like no characters are displayed and the focus is on the house icons and the map.
In other media I'm not seeing where HBO is being restrictive with this license to the point where all products have the same look and feel and stock promotional images plastered all over.

GOT07062015.jpg game_of_thrones_mn_pr_web.jpg

The Ukraine is weak.

#550 8 years ago

GOT07062015.jpg game_of_thrones_mn_pr_web.jpg

RISK Game of Thrones??????? I am in!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

There are 830 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-images-are-up/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.