Topic Stats

• 102 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dkjimbo
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2214_(resized).JPG
20160219_131241_(resized).jpg
20160219_131612_(resized).jpg
3f07a723020904d25a8c689c9efa68f2_(resized).jpg
IMG_2929_(resized).JPG
IMG_3252_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
Untitled_(resized).jpg
2_(resized).JPG
1_(resized).JPG
6_(resized).JPG
5_(resized).JPG
4_(resized).JPG
3_(resized).JPG

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

The battering ram shot on Game of Thrones needs a very hard hit to make it work. I'd say at least one in three shots fail. If you want to make it as easy as any other target switch shot here's how.

Picture 1. Locate the Battering Ram mount under the playfield and remove the top two red screws.
Picture 2. Now we're going to make a stop bracket. I found a junk flipper return spring bracket that is ideal for this. You can use
anything similar if you don't have one of these laying around.
Picture 3. Drill out the small spring hole to the same size as the larger hole and snip out any edges remaining.
Picture 4. Install the new bracket into position with the two red screws. Done. Your new Battering Ram stop is finished.
Picture 5. Shows Battering Ram in it's original position.
Picture 6. Shows Battering Ram in it's new home position with only about 1/4" of an inch between the ram tip and the target switch. This also opens up the ramp target switch next to it a bit as well.

This is a ten minute project at best. It's super easy to do, and now no more missed super jackpot shots due to a less than perfect hit on the ram.

3_(resized).JPG
4_(resized).JPG
5_(resized).JPG
6_(resized).JPG
1_(resized).JPG
2_(resized).JPG

#2 4 years ago

You read my mind. I looked closely last night and was thinking this is exactly what needs to be done. I am never going to believe I'm cheating either. It is a fix imo. Way too many missed shots imo the way it arrives from the factory. Thanks.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

If you want to make it as easy as any other target switch shot

My ram still works pretty well. Thanks for the info.

I wonder if the battering ram is designed to be as easy as a simple target switch hit or perhaps the design of the ram is to require solid hits and not register everytime a ball hits it.

#4 4 years ago

My battering ram seems to be registering regularly. I would say 1 of 5 doesn't register but I like the fact being that its an easy target right up front to hit that it doesn't register 100% of the time. Plus in your last picture do you now have to worry about the ball hitting the metal on the sides of the battering ram entrance? Its hard to tell but looks like now that metal is exposed for the ball to hit.

#5 4 years ago

Cheating!

#6 4 years ago

So you're shortening the distance the battering ram has to travel? Why not just remove the battering ram and replace it with a standup target if you want to cheat

#7 4 years ago

I took a slo-mo of the ram reject. Hard to tell where the energy is being directed but it certainly wasn't up!

#8 4 years ago

I really don't see this as a cheat at all. The ram simply doesn't make it to the target enough. In a good game it could cost you everything. It takes a perfect hard hit to make it. Mine hits the target about 10% of the time. That's not fair at all.

#9 4 years ago

I am going to keep playing mine as it stands though to see if it works itself out.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Mine hits the target about 10% of the time. That's not fair at all.

I would call Stern Tech support about the issue. Maybe it's on wrong or something is too tight, or whatever. 10% of the time is not right and that does seem to be a problem and that is not normal operation. I would say mine hits 80-90% of the time. Mine seems like its operating normal.

#11 4 years ago

I may ask but it seems to be in good working order. MY pro worked fine.

#12 4 years ago

Maybe 25%. Probably not 10%. That's was a little harsh. Lol

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

I took a slo-mo of the ram reject. Hard to tell where the energy is being directed but it certainly wasn't up!

It was a bad shot that was way off center. You need solid shots in the middle of the battering ram preferably from the right flipper.

Untitled_(resized).jpg

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

It was a bad shot that was way off center. You need solid shots in the middle of the battering ram preferably from the right flipper.

Untitled_(resized).jpg

Really don't think it was designed to only work dead center from the right flipper. If it was it may be the most un-fun toy out there.

#15 4 years ago

I played a pro this weekend and thought it seemed really stiff. Not much movement at all and I had to rely on the inserts to know if it had moved/registered.

#16 4 years ago

I don't believe it is designed to require a dead on shot from the right flipper but a shot from the left flipper to the right edge I would not expect to register for that shot. I do like the fix/modification idea. From the GOT's I've played it does seem as though that shot is inconsistent as some games are pretty easy to register and others will take a dead on power shot and still not register. Good idea for how to improve on those that may not work as well as they should.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Really don't think it was designed to only work dead center from the right flipper. If it was it may be the most un-fun toy out there.

Play better!

(j/k, couldn't pass up my only chance to say that to KME)

#18 4 years ago

3 out of 6 on mine register from direct shots from either flipper... It is not cheating by making it work better . I will try it with a little less distance as it seems the adjustment is warranted

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

» YouTube video

This is exactly how mine was behaving. I don't think that the ram should register a hit every single time a ball touches it, but a straight shot from the left or right flipper should do the trick. The adjustments I made to mine did not reduce the travel of the ram at all, they just allowed the ram to move more freely with various different type of hits to it.

It's still a better idea to attack mine from the right, but it also will register 95% of the time from the left if you hit it square or just about square.

I would be interested to hear from Ritchie as to his thoughts on how this ram was intended to behave.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is exactly how mine was behaving. I don't think that the ram should register a hit every single time a ball touches it, but a straight shot from the left or right flipper should do the trick. The adjustments I made to mine did not reduce the travel of the ram at all, they just allowed the ram to move more freely with various different type of hits to it.
It's still a better idea to attack mine from the right, but it also will register 95% of the time from the left if you hit it square or just about square.
I would be interested to hear from Ritchie as to his thoughts on how this ram was intended to behave.

Yeah my impression is if you hit the black pad it's a hit. Shots to the side of that that still hit the ram no. Speaking of which mine was already chewed up on the sides after only 1 day of play so I added felt to the edges where the black pad wasn't covering.

#21 4 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#22 4 years ago

Weird....mine worked right out the box....if I hit it solid enough it registers every time (with either flipper).

#23 4 years ago

Cheating... Pfff, Not a fair comment .. functioning properly I'd call it. Do what you need you still have to aim for the thing.

Before I made sure mine was sliding enough I had never managed to get a single double multiplier, yet made it to HOTK .. The switch itself was also catching on the ramp opto, didnt help matters either.

Now that I'm "cheating" I can actually get things multiplied !

#24 4 years ago

A lot of people have complained the shot is inconsistent. The battering ram is a cool toy that fits the theme of the game but it is not completely reliable as many have stated. A standup target doesn't care what angle it is hit from as it can twist a bit. The ram can not twist and is only really designed to be hit head on like a hammer and a nail, it's pretty tough to pound in a nail from the side. So, it's up to you, leave it alone if you like it being tough or adjust it if you want. This mod just gives you a choice if you don't like yours the way it is.

#25 4 years ago

It's not cheating because everyone is playing the same game. If one has this adjustment it doesn't matter except scores would probably be higher on average with this set up.

I don't think the game was designed to have the ram's travel reduced though. I also don't this it was intended to brick fairly clean shots to it, so however someone remedies that, is up to them.

#26 4 years ago

Maybe someone can get Steve Ritchie to approve this like the STTNG lane extenders

#27 4 years ago

imo setting the ram back like that will destroy your metal 'ball guides' that contain the ram area, as well as increase impact abuse to your surrounding 2 stand up targets. This is obviously because now the ram isn't 'extended' away from these pf components as it was meant to be to absorb impact from the ball(s), but hey as long as you are happy with it I suppose. I would also assume it is now harder to hit the ram, especially during MBs, as you really do need a straight shot, no longer partial 'side' shots will register, as balls will hit targets and those metal 'guides'.

enjoy you game!

#28 4 years ago

Also, I would suggest a little lubricant (just a little) this helped a lot.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

imo setting the ram back like that will destroy your metal 'ball guides' that contain the ram area, as well as increase impact abuse to your surrounding 2 stand up targets. This is obviously because now the ram isn't 'extended' away from these pf components as it was meant to be to absorb impact from the ball(s), but hey as long as you are happy with it I suppose. I would also assume it is now harder to hit the ram, especially during MBs, as you really do need a straight shot, no longer partial 'side' shots will register, as balls will hit targets and those metal 'guides'.
enjoy you game!

Nope, the ball can't hit the metal ball guides because the ram tops out before the ball can reach the guide. Funny, the ball guides are wide open and can be hit by the ball on the left two standup targets but I guess that's OK because that's how it's built. I will have to add that if you're concerned about stand up targets being abused by being hit by the ball then you probably shouldn't turn any of your games on.

#30 4 years ago

enjoy you game!
Nope, the ball can't hit the metal ball guides because the ram tops out before the ball can reach the guide. Funny, the ball guides are wide open and can be hit by the ball on the left two standup targets but I guess that's OK because that's how it's built. I will have to add that if you're concerned about stand up targets being abused by being hit by the ball then you probably shouldn't turn any of your games on.

as long as it works out for you, I will post pics of my 'standard' ram setup when the arcade opens up tomorrow and show the you damage that has already been done to both the metal guides and the standups, without an offset ram. it's you machine, you can try to fix it however you feel best accommodates the issues, and I will just lube up my track.

go broncos.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Weird....mine worked right out the box....if I hit it solid enough it registers every time (with either flipper).

Me too. I'm seeing like 90%+ hit rate.

#32 4 years ago

Man, all these fixes required to get GOT operating smoothly....

Once the dust has settled, I hope someone creates a thread which compiles them all

Getting my Premium in a week or so hopefully, first few games should be interesting!

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

as long as it works out for you, I will post pics of my 'standard' ram setup when the arcade opens up tomorrow and show the you damage that has already been done to both the metal guides and the standups, without an offset ram. it's you machine, you can try to fix it however you feel best accommodates the issues, and I will just lube up my track.
go broncos.

So your saying you have damage to the metal guides and the standups with the ram in it's factory position? And you're saying that damage will become worse if the position of the ram is changed slightly?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Me too. I'm seeing like 90%+ hit rate.

I want 100%, same as I get from every other target that I hit.

#35 4 years ago

I look at it like I want the ram to operate similarly to the bell on ACDC. Does the bell on ACDC act like a standup that registers every time the ball hits it? No. it needs to be hit pretty square to register a bell hit. That is how the ram should behave IMO.

#36 4 years ago

Ok, quick easy fix. Stuck a piece of adhesive felt pad on top of the rubber black pad. Now working 100 percent!

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Ok, quick easy fix. Stuck a piece of adhesive felt pad on top of the rubber black pad. Now working 100 percent!

Interesting. Got a pic?

#38 4 years ago

It is a battering ram. ..not a knock on the door lol! Should require a bit of a solid hit I'd say

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Epic. Start your own thread.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Nice simple idea. Seems like it would be a bit more tolerant of off-axis hits.

#41 4 years ago

I don't see any reason to start a whole thread about how to cut felt adhesive. lol
It should not take over your thread and sounds like a good addition to your fix to me.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

All I'm saying is that your shot to the ram is a shot that should not register. A shot like that up a ramp will not make it up a ramp. A shot like that into an orbit, will not make it around the orbit.

I register ram shots from both flippers but they have to be good shots.

Shitty shots get knocked back with the game silently telling me to make it a better shot next time.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Nice simple idea. Seems like it would be a bit more tolerant of off-axis hits.

Not likely, a felt pad would just act like a shock absorber and make the shot even more difficult.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

All I'm saying is that your shot to the ram is a shot that should not register. A shot like that up a ramp will not make it up a ramp. A shot like that into an orbit, will not make it around the orbit.
I register ram shots from both flippers but they have to be good shots.
Shitty shots get knocked back with the game silently telling me to make it a better shot next time.

I can't tell that to my customers lol

#45 4 years ago

Not likely, a felt pad would just act like a shock absorber and make the shot even more difficult.

Ok, I guess I am imagining it. You're clearly right. I will never 2nd guess your pinball engineering background again!

#46 4 years ago

Time to sell some 3d printed ram extenders for 45 dollars.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

I can't tell that to my customers lol

If you can't tell the truth to your customers then you need to find a different line of work. LOL...

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Ok, I guess I am imagining it. You're clearly right. I will never 2nd guess your pinball engineering background again!

I didn't want to say it but the picture you posted of your ram is in exactly the same position as my ram after I did my mod. Your ram is hanging up and not sliding back down to its home position as it should. If it was it would be flush with the target switch on its left.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 25.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside