(Topic ID: 138425)

Game of Thrones - a positive thread possible?

By dendoc

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 215 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by 85vett
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will you buy a GOT?”

• No - too dissapointed 150 votes
    41%
  • maybe, but pending seeing video and final product 102 votes
    28%
  • Yes, NIB Pro 18 votes
    5%
  • Yes, NIB LE 36 votes
    10%
  • yes, NIB premium when available 34 votes
    9%
  • Yes, when they come up second hand 23 votes
    6%

(363 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

negative_shit.jpg
Acceptance.jpg
got-pro-playfield.jpg
got-le-playfield.jpg
Instructions.jpg
image.jpg
cdc.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#193 8 years ago

I missed this thread at first so didn't vote. At launch I was a "Hell no" due to the art and the videos. Fortunately, game play is different than watching someone play and the art is much better (to me) in person. Just feels like it fits to me.

I wanted a premium but my wife begged me for an LE (she collects Dragons). Should be here in a couple of weeks. I don't watch the show but I love the theme (medieval themes). Can't wait to start digging in to the deeper parts of the code. Right now I've just been playing to beat houses (have one on route by me).

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

They've updated the code since and you have far more control over the flashers. Mine is not blinding at all (after I toned it down).

Glad to hear this. The lighting was one of my concerns with the game as I also play in a dark room.

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

I played one a few days ago at modern pinball. I played about a dozen games. Didn't like it. I don't mind the art, its the play I didn't like. Too many interruptions. Choose this, choose that. Killed the flow of the game. You really have to own one to get the rules completely and master it. Sure its fast and flashy, but just wasn't fun for me and I love the show. Dragon kickback was super fast, faster than F14. I enjoyed pinbot,BSD,and CSI much more than GOT. For that kind of money, Ill go to modern pinball and play a few times. I guess I'm a SS guy. I don't want to have to keep looking up at video. Just my 2 cents on first impression, which I'll probably get killed on. I can name a dozen games I find much more fun off the top of my head, POTC,BSD,MB,Rocky and Bullwinkle, 24, Spiderman, etc... for that kind of money, get 2 or 3 more fun games, not just the latest game.

Not hating, but most of the games you selected that you liked more have more/same amount of interruptions as GOT has. Only "interruptions" in game of thrones is selecting your houses to battle and selecting what mystery you want. Both of those items are major pluses in my book as it allows you to control your path vs the game picking it for you.

The only "hate" I'll present is that I don't understand the need to post this in this thread. This is not a, "do you like GOT" thread and there are plenty of those out there. Guess I just will never understand this part of the community. For example, I went to Pinballz on Sat and played nearly 50 different games while there and I did not enjoy several of them but I don't feel the need to find threads on each of those games just to tell people I didn't like the game.

#212 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I think got is more complicated than trek. Trek just shoot the lit targets.
Got. I tell everyone that plays it have to read the dmd to know what to do. Granted it's still shoot the lit shots.
Got is definitely a deep game. There's so much packed into it.

The strategy in ST is actually extremely complex. Changing your path a couple of different ways can make a 200 million point game turn into a 500 million point game. Knowing which modes to go 3 deep to get a PF modifier going is a huge advantage on that game.

Both games diffidently have some of the same feel that it's easy to step up to and play (just shoot the blinking shots) for the casual player but also gets the tournament group interested due to the stacking and risk vs reward features.

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

That is true. Trek from a strategic point is deep. But for the most part. It's just shoot the lit shots.
Where got u have to read the dmd for the house that u are battling
Ex stark. U can hammer the center all day and if u didn't know that u need to hit the left orbit to cash out. U would think u are getting massive points just by making the center shot over and over
Trek starting a missing is straight forward. Hit the left vuk or the away mission
Got if u didn't know or look up on the dmd. U wouldn't know u have to shoot the lane 3x to lit the house to battle.

I think it explains what to do really well at the start of the mode. Tells you what shots are needed and even how to collect them if that is part of the mode.

But, with the example provided. If you aren't looking at the DMD you wouldn't know that major points are starting to be available. What you would see is both ramps lit to be shot. After hitting 3 ramps it will light the orbits (to collect) which also tells the player, "maybe there is something else I need to shoot for". I agree that it's not intuitive by any means but it's got some pretty good clues.

Quoted from DaveH:

Pinside sort of roils with threads about a game, and I'm guessing this one was at the top when he commented. And I'm totally fine with him not liking the game and posting about it. I think the critique is that new games can be hard to understand, and I agree with it.

Agreed, and I'm really trying to not be argumentative. My feelings about it was just that it was better meant for a different thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Highland, UT
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-a-positive-thread-possible?tu=85vett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.