(Topic ID: 138425)

Game of Thrones - a positive thread possible?

By dendoc

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 215 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by 85vett
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will you buy a GOT?”

• No - too dissapointed 150 votes
    41%
  • maybe, but pending seeing video and final product 102 votes
    28%
  • Yes, NIB Pro 18 votes
    5%
  • Yes, NIB LE 36 votes
    10%
  • yes, NIB premium when available 34 votes
    9%
  • Yes, when they come up second hand 23 votes
    6%

(363 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

negative_shit.jpg
Acceptance.jpg
got-pro-playfield.jpg
got-le-playfield.jpg
Instructions.jpg
image.jpg
cdc.jpg

There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 3 years ago

The right ramp on the prem/LE can be a pain to get up. Alot of times it will hammer around at the top if you get the ramp to fast then just come back down. We played for a few hours last weekend. I managed to crack the 3.6B mark without having the slightest clue what i'm trying to do.

The only hiccup we've seen so far is i kept hitting the left ramp to rack up score during stark mode after starting a blackwater multiball. I hit the ramp probably 20 something times and it just stopped feeding balls from the lock. I think i confused it, lol.

#202 3 years ago
Quoted from gooterman:

The only hiccup we've seen so far is i kept hitting the left ramp to rack up score during stark mode after starting a blackwater multiball. I hit the ramp probably 20 something times and it just stopped feeding balls from the lock. I think i confused it, lol.

After a minimum of 3 ramp shots in stark mode, you then need an orbit shot to lock it in.

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from gooterman:

Alot of times it will hammer around at the top if you get the ramp to fast then just come back down.

You should try to level the drop target before the ramp with the screw under the drop target mech so it's more leveled with the playfield. Thet helped me.

#204 3 years ago

I played one a few days ago at modern pinball. I played about a dozen games. Didn't like it. I don't mind the art, its the play I didn't like. Too many interruptions. Choose this, choose that. Killed the flow of the game. You really have to own one to get the rules completely and master it. Sure its fast and flashy, but just wasn't fun for me and I love the show. Dragon kickback was super fast, faster than F14. I enjoyed pinbot,BSD,and CSI much more than GOT. For that kind of money, Ill go to modern pinball and play a few times. I guess I'm a SS guy. I don't want to have to keep looking up at video. Just my 2 cents on first impression, which I'll probably get killed on. I can name a dozen games I find much more fun off the top of my head, POTC,BSD,MB,Rocky and Bullwinkle, 24, Spiderman, etc... for that kind of money, get 2 or 3 more fun games, not just the latest game.

#205 3 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

I played one a few days ago at modern pinball. I played about a dozen games. Didn't like it. I don't mind the art, its the play I didn't like. Too many interruptions. Choose this, choose that. Killed the flow of the game. You really have to own one to get the rules completely and master it. Sure its fast and flashy, but just wasn't fun for me and I love the show. Dragon kickback was super fast, faster than F14. I enjoyed pinbot,BSD,and CSI much more than GOT. For that kind of money, Ill go to modern pinball and play a few times. I guess I'm a SS guy. I don't want to have to keep looking up at video. Just my 2 cents on first impression, which I'll probably get killed on. I can name a dozen games I find much more fun off the top of my head, POTC,BSD,MB,Rocky and Bullwinkle, 24, Spiderman, etc... for that kind of money, get 2 or 3 more fun games, not just the latest game.

You shouldn't get killed for it, you are entitled to your opinion. BUT, you're certainly in the minority. GOT is not really a very stop-n-go game. Sure there are times when you have to make a selection with the button, but the game is fast and furious. The multiballs are quite frenetic and very well done. The rules might take a little time to grasp, but they are very well done. IMHO, GOT blows games like Pinbot, CSI and 24 away by a mile.

#206 3 years ago

Also, I don't own one(yet), but I played it enough on location to have a very thorough understanding of the rules and that has made the game even more fun to play!

PS. It helps to read some rule sheets or the game code read-me files.

#207 3 years ago

It is most certainly a confusing machine at the moment. I'm still holding on my final decision whether to buy the premium( or none of the above) based on code updates. No matter how good or bad a game looks.... code is the king. It could be a few updates away from being the best game you've ever played. So far there's too much of a learning curve and i'm too lazy to try and figure everything out. I'll sit back and wait for a tutorial

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from gooterman:

It is most certainly a confusing machine at the moment. I'm still holding on my final decision whether to buy the premium( or none of the above) based on code updates. No matter how good or bad a game looks.... code is the king. It could be a few updates away from being the best game you've ever played. So far there's too much of a learning curve and i'm too lazy to try and figure everything out. I'll sit back and wait for a tutorial

It's really not that bad.....nowhere near ST complicated. I'm not the quickest in figuring out these things and I got GOT in just a few days (Although I'm sure it will be a while before I fully understand all of the nuances). All it needs is a little polish.....the code is GREAT right now.

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It's really not that bad.....nowhere near ST complicated. I'm not the quickest in figuring out these things and I got GOT in just a few days (Although I'm sure it will be a while before I fully understand all of the nuances). All it needs is a little polish.....the code is GREAT right now.

I think got is more complicated than trek. Trek just shoot the lit targets.

Got. I tell everyone that plays it have to read the dmd to know what to do. Granted it's still shoot the lit shots.

Got is definitely a deep game. There's so much packed into it.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from gooterman:

GoT is one of the better Stern games right from the release. While I agree that it still needs updates, it wasn't their usual fare of pushing out very incomplete games. It had good bones right from the start.

So here is my "location tutorial" for the game. It is narrow and focused for just getting some basics down. So...

DaveH's Location Tutorial for Game of Thrones:

1. Hold down the action button (the big button in the lockdown bar) for 3 seconds and then press start.
2. Select Martell (the orange house insert).
3. Launch the ball.
4. Hit the center ramp (the white insert should be lit and the orange house insert should be flashing).
5. Select Martell (the orange house).

You are now in a battle. Each house has a distinctive battle. Martell is to hit orbits 3 times, and then hit one of the center ramps to complete it. Once you complete a house, it lights steady in the center group of inserts. You may notice the "3 times" can get messed up after hitting other shots. Shots should be hit one after the other to finish.

Locks: The green targets on the right side light the lock on the center ramp. Locking 3 balls on the center ramp starts Blackwater Multiball. Because you are playing as Martell (orange), you have an "Add a ball" on the action button. When you are draining your second to last ball, hit it to restart the multiball. Each house has different powers, and this is Martell's.

Getting more houses flashing: Each house is lined up with a shot in the game. Hitting that shot (or thing) 3 times gets that house flashing. For instance, the left orbit is Greyjoy (purple). Hitting that shot when lit purple 3 times starts Greyjoy flashing, so it is qualified to pick for battle.

Ignore the strategy of the game for now. Just work on starting and finishing houses. I don't recommend combining houses in battle as you learn the game. Battle them one at a time to learn what shots they each need.

Finally, this is not the route to big points in the game. I'm not explaining the multipliers, nor the best way to combine houses. I'm just giving a basic overview to enjoy it on location.

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

Not hating, but most of the games you selected that you liked more have more/same amount of interruptions as GOT has. Only "interruptions" in game of thrones is selecting your houses to battle and selecting what mystery you want. Both of those items are major pluses in my book as it allows you to control your path vs the game picking it for you.

The only "hate" I'll present is that I don't understand the need to post this in this thread. This is not a, "do you like GOT" thread and there are plenty of those out there. Guess I just will never understand this part of the community. For example, I went to Pinballz on Sat and played nearly 50 different games while there and I did not enjoy several of them but I don't feel the need to find threads on each of those games just to tell people I didn't like the game.

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I think got is more complicated than trek. Trek just shoot the lit targets.
Got. I tell everyone that plays it have to read the dmd to know what to do. Granted it's still shoot the lit shots.
Got is definitely a deep game. There's so much packed into it.

The strategy in ST is actually extremely complex. Changing your path a couple of different ways can make a 200 million point game turn into a 500 million point game. Knowing which modes to go 3 deep to get a PF modifier going is a huge advantage on that game.

Both games diffidently have some of the same feel that it's easy to step up to and play (just shoot the blinking shots) for the casual player but also gets the tournament group interested due to the stacking and risk vs reward features.

#213 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The strategy in ST is actually extremely complex. Changing your path a couple of different ways can make a 200 million point game turn into a 500 million point game. Knowing which modes to go 3 deep to get a PF modifier going is a huge advantage on that game.
Both games diffidently have some of the same feel that it's easy to step up to and play (just shoot the blinking shots) for the casual player but also gets the tournament group interested due to the stacking and risk vs reward features.

That is true. Trek from a strategic point is deep. But for the most part. It's just shoot the lit shots.

Where got u have to read the dmd for the house that u are battling

Ex stark. U can hammer the center all day and if u didn't know that u need to hit the left orbit to cash out. U would think u are getting massive points just by making the center shot over and over

Trek starting a missing is straight forward. Hit the left vuk or the away mission

Got if u didn't know or look up on the dmd. U wouldn't know u have to shoot the lane 3x to lit the house to battle.

#214 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The only "hate" I'll present is that I don't understand the need to post this in this thread. This is not a, "do you like GOT" thread and there are plenty of those out there. Guess I just will never understand this part of the community. For example, I went to Pinballz on Sat and played nearly 50 different games while there and I did not enjoy several of them but I don't feel the need to find threads on each of those games just to tell people I didn't like the game.

Pinside sort of roils with threads about a game, and I'm guessing this one was at the top when he commented. And I'm totally fine with him not liking the game and posting about it. I think the critique is that new games can be hard to understand, and I agree with it. As a pinball player I understand that the first time I step up to a game can be a confused mess. Heck, the first time I played Tron I said "Yuck" because I didn't understand the game at all. So now I try to reserve my real judgement until I understand at least the basics of a game.

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

That is true. Trek from a strategic point is deep. But for the most part. It's just shoot the lit shots.
Where got u have to read the dmd for the house that u are battling
Ex stark. U can hammer the center all day and if u didn't know that u need to hit the left orbit to cash out. U would think u are getting massive points just by making the center shot over and over
Trek starting a missing is straight forward. Hit the left vuk or the away mission
Got if u didn't know or look up on the dmd. U wouldn't know u have to shoot the lane 3x to lit the house to battle.

I think it explains what to do really well at the start of the mode. Tells you what shots are needed and even how to collect them if that is part of the mode.

But, with the example provided. If you aren't looking at the DMD you wouldn't know that major points are starting to be available. What you would see is both ramps lit to be shot. After hitting 3 ramps it will light the orbits (to collect) which also tells the player, "maybe there is something else I need to shoot for". I agree that it's not intuitive by any means but it's got some pretty good clues.

Quoted from DaveH:

Pinside sort of roils with threads about a game, and I'm guessing this one was at the top when he commented. And I'm totally fine with him not liking the game and posting about it. I think the critique is that new games can be hard to understand, and I agree with it.

Agreed, and I'm really trying to not be argumentative. My feelings about it was just that it was better meant for a different thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dyer, IN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside