(Topic ID: 138425)

Game of Thrones - a positive thread possible?

By dendoc

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 215 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by 85vett
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will you buy a GOT?”

• No - too dissapointed 150 votes
    41%
  • maybe, but pending seeing video and final product 102 votes
    28%
  • Yes, NIB Pro 18 votes
    5%
  • Yes, NIB LE 36 votes
    10%
  • yes, NIB premium when available 34 votes
    9%
  • Yes, when they come up second hand 23 votes
    6%

(363 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

negative_shit.jpg
Acceptance.jpg
got-pro-playfield.jpg
got-le-playfield.jpg
Instructions.jpg
image.jpg
cdc.jpg
There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 8 years ago

Last count - there were 4 threads pointing out all the negatives with the GOT pinball release. Is anyone buying one? I know we should "teach Stern a lesson " with our wallets by not buying it, but what the heck, I've put down a 50% deposit on the LE anyway. Wife loves the theme, doesn't get into the art that much, but likes an occasional game with friends. Steve designed it, so I'm sure it has great shots in it, and the sound should be interesting (I plug all mine into external subs).

Won't talk about art, DMD, LE/Pro differences - they are covered to death in the other threads.

So anyone else buying one?

#3 8 years ago

Keep changing from yes to no. Would be nice to see some ACTUAL pics of the game. Ive got a feeling it will look better in the flesh.

#4 8 years ago

In Sreve Ritchie I trust.

#5 8 years ago

There seems to be lots to do, and I do like machines that are packed with features. Could turn out to be great gameplay.

#6 8 years ago

It's so hard to tell how good a machine will be without playing it first. The sounds, dmd animations and obviously code have such a significant role in the quality of the game. The problem I have is the absense of the mini playfield on the pro.

#7 8 years ago

Im buying a pro

#8 8 years ago

Looking at it there is no way I would buy one. It may indeed play absolutely great but I think that artwork stinks and that's part of my criteria when buying any pin.

#9 8 years ago

I bought a wwe so I'll buy anything.

#10 8 years ago

Bought the LE.

#11 8 years ago

Fuck no.....fucking bandits.

#12 8 years ago

Positive?

I'm positive I won't be buying one.

#13 8 years ago

I think it's gonna shoot amazing. Why delay video? It would end a lot of the negative remarks.

#14 8 years ago

I might buy one, I'll wait till I can play one somewhere first..

#15 8 years ago

Looking forward to some gameplay video and seeing how the shots and toys work. It's a unique layout which I like and I think it has a ton of potential.

#16 8 years ago

I just saved $6500.

#17 8 years ago

I have to apologize to all my fellow Pinsiders for being negative about the GOT pro and harping about it looking like an empty box. After careful consideration there is one big positive here that I have overlooked. Here's the positive: How many times have you (and fellow pinheads) stored stuff on the floor under your machines? I see it all the time, and I'm sure you do too. It's just so convenient to store stuff under the machines. However, with the new GOT pro and its empty playfield, you can now store stuff IN THE GAME, right between the playfield and glass, when the game is not in use, and possibly when in use, as you have a lot of open space to shoot around any objects stored in the rear left corner or elsewhere. This new approach to game design could really clean up our gameroom floors. For overlooking that positive, I do apologize.

#18 8 years ago

I want to buy a premium or a LE but i need to see a video of it first, I'm also looking at TWD le.... Akkkk

I am however going to pinfest in Newcastle so I'll probably come home with two other pins. Lol

#19 8 years ago

Art is really disappointing but gameplay is what matters most to me and could still be great. They have lost my LE purchase though with the weak art package. They've taken a big step back on KISS and GoT LE art versus the distinctive, original packages on MET, TWD and ST.

#20 8 years ago

ZIZZLEMAN?

#21 8 years ago

On a positive note for Stern, the beauty of their entrenched production means there is choice for people. There could be some reflex buying back into TWD. I'm seriously thinking of grabbing a TWD premium. That has been nothing but on the up and up for ages now.

#22 8 years ago

I must admit that this should have been a sure NIB buy for me. I already have the funds, even if they are ridiculous expensive here in Europe, but it I will most likely not buy it. For me this should have been the best looking pinball machine ever. I did not think that anybody could mess up Game of Thrones as everything is looking good in the series (big fan) and HBO had to give their blessing to the design. This design just shows how clueless people are.

I must also admit that I reserve my judgement of the cabinet art until I see it in person, because with Mustang LE it was also that on the photographs it just does not look good, but in person it is beautifull. But regarding the playfield: if this is it then count me out. This could have been a Pro buy for me (have all LE's) but without the upper playfield it is just not worth it.

edit: to react on the previous post, I own a TWD LE and it great! Art and game are getting better and better.

#23 8 years ago

No option in the poll for wait and see until I can play one for a while and decide then.

#24 8 years ago

I'm buying the premium. F all the negative crap. This will turn out to be an awesome game!

#25 8 years ago

First, I have read enough of the negative comments, I'm done with that, time for me to move on. That being said the post about which would be first GOT or SMVE ended up being GOT. Anyway I really like what I have and I have a room problem so for me the jury is still out. So I prefer to wait and if SMVE comes then compare the two and maybe either another title.

I don't need to anything now but hope to play GOT at the Expo next month. I should be fine with the pro model and I'm not a LE buyer and premium would be a ? mark. I really don't think not having the upper playfield is a deal breaker for me. I really want to play the GOT if it's anything like ST but different gameplay I would be very interested. Also, I'm good with the cabinet and backglass of the pro model.

#26 8 years ago

I just moved my deposit to a TWD prem, but I still have hopes for a GOT prem. I was told by my distro that it would be available the 2nd week of November and art revieled way before that. I was told out of 50 LE's with a deposit so far only 20% have cancelled. Also said this same exact thing happened with STLE and now it is a top pin.

#27 8 years ago

I was in until I saw the photos of the game this week.

Is it possible that both versions of The Pin (Avengers and Transformers) are better looking than GOT?

#28 8 years ago

Haven't watched the show. I know, I know... I should because I love LOTR and the Hobbit series. I have a really hard time thinking they didn't love the art package when they developed it. I don't think they said, "Need the theme ASAP, just slap some (turd) on this thing."

Let's see what gameplay brings...

Sometimes I feel like "damned if you do, damned if you don't." If there were characters all over the playfield, people may have complained about that... Ready to give it a chance. Proud owner of a few Sterns. Keep the titles coming! There is something for everyone!

#29 8 years ago

So for people in on LE; are you going to wait for premium first? Feels like a title where paying the LE premium may not be worth it if they do a great job on the premium artwork. Doesn't change the other criticisms but if they do a good job with a "northern territory" art package seems like that would help darken the game some.

#30 8 years ago

This is where Stern will get all of the quotes for the flyer.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

So for people in on LE; are you going to wait for premium first? Feels like a title where paying the LE premium may not be worth it if they do a great job on the premium artwork. Doesn't change the other criticisms but if they do a good job with a "northern territory" art package seems like that would help darken the game some.

Potential buyers should check with their distributor as some distributors will let you switch between models if you change your mind before they start shipping (for instance, if you have a deposit on an LE now but decide you want a Premium once pictures are revealed).

#32 8 years ago

Anyone complaining about new pinball probably should not be on this site. It's frickin NEW pinball, and IT IS GOOD!

KISS, FULL THROTTLE, THE HOBBIT, BIG LEWBOWSKI, and now GAME OF THRONES!!!!!! REJOICE!

This is better than acid on Sundays..........

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I have to apologize to all my fellow Pinsiders for being negative about the GOT pro and harping about it looking like an empty box. After careful consideration there is one big positive here that I have overlooked. Here's the positive: How many times have you (and fellow pinheads) stored stuff on the floor under your machines? I see it all the time, and I'm sure you do too. It's just so convenient to store stuff under the machines. However, with the new GOT pro and its empty playfield, you can now store stuff IN THE GAME, right between the playfield and glass, when the game is not in use, and possibly when in use, as you have a lot of open space to shoot around any objects stored in the rear left corner or elsewhere. This new approach to game design could really clean up our gameroom floors. For overlooking that positive, I do apologize.

hilarious!! spit coffee all over my comp reading this true statement!!

#34 8 years ago

I actually think it will be a great game, despite the flat artwork.
But, I was really hoping this would be the game to take Stern to the next level of innovation.
I really think Hobbit looks much better as far as far as the whole package.
I was looking for Stern to up their game on this machine with some sort of LCD screen - would not mind one the same size as the current display. I thought this was going to be a great title to use that, especially with the HBO promo video. That would of been awesome to display when you turn on the machine.

As it stands - nothing really new except for the theme

Oh well, will sit on my hands until I see Lawlor's JJP game and decide if it's worth 8 grand

#35 8 years ago

I'm positive the callouts will be in a Cockney accent.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I think it's gonna shoot amazing. Why delay video? It would end a lot of the negative remarks.

Because they have to build the game, before they can take game play video.....

#37 8 years ago

So the answer to the title of the thread, no, not possible to have a positive thread. Mob mentality has spoken.

Several computer generated images of a game not even assembled where no one has seen the DoTs, heard the music/sounds or seen how it flows at all have decided it all for many it seems.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Pincrawler:

Because they have to build the game, before they can take game play video.....

Surely there's a prototype machine or two at this point. If they're shipping mid this month, then they would have had to figure out all the tooling, run some stress testing on mechanics, check that the playfield print alignment registers correctly with the cut wood, thrones and dragons already molded, etc.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

Surely there's a prototype machine or two at this point. If they're shipping mid this month, then they would have had to figure out all the tooling, run some stress testing on mechanics, check that the playfield print alignment registers correctly with the cut wood, thrones and dragons already molded, etc.

I am sure they have flipping whitewoods with mechs and stuff on it. A fully assembled machine with all art, plastics, etc. good for photo ops? Possibly not.

#40 8 years ago

I think GOT has the chance to have one of the best mini playfields ever. Very few mini playfields have as many shots and inlanes, the first ones that come to mind are FG/Shrek and that's a mini ball. I love mini playfields and all the good ones recently have been single flipper (pending TBL and WOOLY). Not to be negative but if this sucks, it could destroy the entire game, but I have faith in SR.

REALLY hope this is like AC/DC where the premiums are the games that I usually see on location, not the pros...

#41 8 years ago

Look at the threads when the past 2 Ritchie games were released (ACDC and ST). Essentially the same complaints - didn't link the art, didn't like the price, didn't want another DMD game, and they would rather have other games that may or may not be made at some point in the future. I love the theme, and actually think they did a good job with the art on the LE. I already have my deposit in.

#42 8 years ago

The pro looks like the stern "classic". Like what they did with the Ironman classic. But the LE, Art aside, Looks like its going to be so much fun to play. I've never even seen the show and I'm excited to play one.

#43 8 years ago

I'm Positive on the Game. I understand the shortcomings of Art, as shared quite clearly.

For me, its minor. The graphic artists I employ have a range of opinions on "whats next" or "right".
This doesnt diminish what they see, just that everyone sees differently, and its importance is relative.

Is the Gradient shield an easy thing in PS. Yes, Lazy? Likely. We cant say if dozens of different attempts were made,
and rejected.

We have what we have, and an artists eyes will be better, and more critical then mine, so Ill respect what they see and say,
but it does become a "mob mentality"

Ill wait for gameplay video, Ill wait to play a dozen or more games.
No rush here....used HUO next year is fine for me.

I think the gameplay, will overshadow this, and it will be another game we all have the opportunity to play and share, even if
isnt up to our personal expectations.

Another good day for Pinball! Another new game coming!
(even if its one you dont chose to own at this time)

#44 8 years ago

I'm positive that you can put a huge aftermarket toy in the upper left of the Pro's pf. Think of the possibilities!

#45 8 years ago

XM looks 1000% better than this. Fill in any recent stern and the art looks better to me. It looks...unfinished ...like the art is placeholder for something better. Especially the playfield graphics and art. I am HATING this. It's a Ritchie. It's aperfect TV/Book theme. If I make one assumption - that it will play and shoot very well - I know that's huge but for the sake of argument- that means it hits on all cylinders except the art. Can I really NOT buy because of art? I have not faced this dilemma yet in my 4 years.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I understand the shortcomings of Art

Don't be down on yourself, you didn't do anything to design it.

#47 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#48 8 years ago

Im positive the first thing I am doing is making a graphic to go over the shield. But, game does look fun to shoot.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Don't be down on yourself, you didn't do anything to design it.

Funny! Yes 2000 Posts on How bad Art is....I try not to take it personally!

Art

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

So the answer to the title of the thread, no, not possible to have a positive thread. Mob mentality has spoken.
Several computer generated images of a game not even assembled where no one has seen the DoTs, heard the music/sounds or seen how it flows at all have decided it all for many it seems.

Relax, we've been through this before. Steve Ritchie and Dwight Sullivan are a great team. I'm as disappointed in the art as anyone, it's a hell of a missed opportunity. But there could still be a really fun game under it all.

If the gameplay is there people will warm up, and it will start getting much more positive attention. Right now all Stern has shown is art, so that's all there is to talk about. These are 3D renders, so forget getting some video, there's no game to shoot footage of.

You have to let people go through their reaction cycle. You can't rush it by artificially starting a "positive" thread. Stern needs to generate news people can latch onto as a foundation for it first.

So yeah, art sucks, but jury out on the game. Give it time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-a-positive-thread-possible and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.