3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have a RoadShow that I bought about 3 months ago. It works fine, no credit dots, no old battery leaks on the cpu board as I can see. I changed to three brand new batteries after buying it.

After about a month without problems playing daily I then renovated the pin room for ~two months were the game was never plugged in the wall.

Today I switched the game on again and the DMD warned about settings being restored to factory, had to re-set to freeplay, shaker strength and so on. After that the game plays fine again.

Tried turning it off, wait 10 minutes and turn it on again and settings were kept.

What could be the issue here? New batteries should hold the settings for several years right? The battery holder is the stock one (piggybacking to the cpu board on its own small board) and therefore I doubt it's connected wrong.

What could be wrong? Should I be concerned or just ignore it as a "shit happens" thing?

#2 3 years ago

Battery holders fail, the part that contacts the end of the battery can break off.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

replace the battery holder, check solder job, and go from there.
    or
    get nv ram...
    either way

#4 3 years ago

Batteries do not last for years - try new batteries, or better yet, change to NVRAM as suggested. Verify the board is clean, and no damage from leaking batteries.

#5 3 years ago

Look at section 6.11.3

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Settings_Not_Held_or_Battery_Depletes_Rapidly

May need to replace diodes.

I have the same problem as you do on my WH2O.

#6 3 years ago

+1 for NVRAM.

You need to measure the voltage on each battery to see if they are draining.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for all input so far. I will start with rechecking the battery holder, it's cable connections and change batteries to new ones once more.

Nvram is an option but then I have to unsolder the old chip and install a socket, which is a bit of a hassle so will probably be the last thing I try.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I will start with rechecking the battery holder,

Put a meter on the board and see if battery power is getting onto the board.

LTG : )

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-not-keeping-settings-new-batteries- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.