View topic image gallery

got_diverter_(resized).jpg
velcor_(resized).jpg
stripe_(resized).JPG
20160306_153201_(resized).jpg
6a1_(resized).jpg
20160306_153201_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Seems after 2 days of play my elevator got worse. Was only a minor issue now today it was every damn ball. So I decided to look into the elevator more. I've put the washers in mine did not help at all. I do not think my ball was hitting the screws anyways.

So after playing with mech in test mode for awhile and seeing what exactly is causing the issue I came up with a fix for my machine.

When the divertor coil is active and pulling down the divertor while all they way down I noticed the whole divertor area was very loose and rattling, and not really down all the way, if I put just slight pressure on the divertor with my finger it would pop out no problem.

All I did was bent the 2 arms that pull down the divertor assembly just a bit down on each side with some pliers. Did not need to remove the mech at all, just be careful not to slip and mess up anything else.

Not for sure if this is the issue will all the elevators that have issues but it did fix my machine and now the ball flies out of the divertor to the upper playfield.

Attached is a crapy picture of mine. You can see the arms slight bent down.

20160306_153201_(resized).jpg20160306_153201_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

UUUUUUUUM, I don't see Waldo anywhere.

6a1_(resized).jpg6a1_(resized).jpg

#3 8 years ago

Could you elaborate a bit more? Can't tell what was bent... Thx!

#4 8 years ago

It is the field goal looking bracket, that is attached to the coil plunger. I simply grabbed the bracket on both sides at the bend where I circled in the attached picture. Bent down towards the floor. They did not bend real easy it took some force so be careful. Did not bend perfect straight either, but it did work for me. There may be a better wat to fix this sloppy mess of a bracket, bit this was the easiest.

20160306_153201_(resized).jpg20160306_153201_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

Mine was working perfectly since I put the washers in. Since I did the most recent code update, now the ball struggles to get to the throne. Go figure.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Mine was working perfectly since I put the washers in. Since I did the most recent code update, now the ball struggles to get to the throne. Go figure.

That is weird. Mine has never had the problem getting to the throne. I have only played with the newest code.

So since your works perfectly when the divertor is active does it feel all sloppy or is it pretty tight?

#7 8 years ago

Seems pretty tight. I'll have to play some more and pay attention. But now it seems to get to the upper PF almost every time. The throne is the struggle now, for the first time since I updated the code to 1.26. Annoying.

#8 8 years ago

20 or so games on this fix and all of the shots meant for the upper playfield have made it via the elevator.

#9 8 years ago

Mine has issues about 30 % of the time getting to the throne.

#10 8 years ago

Hello,

I also had the same problem with the elevator.
I have fixed it with a small piece of velcro fastener (see picture red marked position)
I took a small pice of the soft side from the velcro fastener and sticked it inside the elevator shaft on the marked position in the picture.
Since I did that all balls for the upper playfield reached the upper playfield without any retry.
To do this you don't have to unmount anything, but it is much easier to stick it inside the shaft when you unmount the dragon (4 screws).

stripe_(resized).JPGstripe_(resized).JPG

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for these two suggestions. I'm going to have to try these as my elevator drives me batty. It will get to the throne on the first attempt about half the time. It almost NEVER gets to the upper playfield on the first try. Usually takes 2 to 4 tries to get it there. So aggravating.

I did the washer mod shortly after getting the game but it didn't really help.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from eliottk:

Hello,
I also had the same problem with the elevator.
I have fixed it with a small piece of velcro fastener (see picture red marked position)
I took a small pice of the soft side from the velcro fastener and sticked it inside the elevator shaft on the marked position in the picture.
Since I did that all balls for the upper playfield reached the upper playfield without any retry.
To do this you don't have to unmount anything, but it is much easier to stick it inside the shaft when you unmount the dragon (4 screws).

stripe_(resized).JPG

Eliot, I am curious, what gave you the idea to add velcro to that spot? What issue is being addressed?

#13 8 years ago

Hello,

my idea behind the velcro stipe was to give the ball a smooth hint where to go, just a little bit of physics.
The blue line in the picture shows how the ball travels through the elevator (a little bit exaggerated) with the velcro stripe and hits the diverter.
The red line shows how the ball very often takes his way without the velcro and would hit the diverter in the wrong angel and so the diverter can’t redirect the ball to the upper pf and falls back into the elevator.

Yesterday we played a lot of games (about 30) on the GOT and the ball was always reaching the upper PF without any troubles with this fix.

It’s easy to install and invisible and can be removed as easy as you can mount it.
If you try it please give me a short feedback if it’s working on your machine as it does on mine.

velcor_(resized).jpgvelcor_(resized).jpg

#14 8 years ago

Thank you, Eliot. That makes good sense. If I see any elevator issues, I'll be sure to try this first.

#15 8 years ago

OK, I tried the velcro. It seemed to help with the kicks to the mini playfield, but it completely ruined the kick up to the iron throne. The velcro had industrial strength adhesive so I had to remove the entire elevator to get the velcro back out.

So next I bent the goal post bracket. Damn that is some strong steel! Put it all back together and the kicks to the mini playfield were worse. 1/5 tries the ball would actually get stuck right at the exit of the elevator. I had made the diverter just a hair too tight. So leaving it in the machine I just used pliers to bend it back and lo and behold it now works almost perfectly! Maybe 80-90% of the time it kicks to the mini playfield on the first try. Throne kick works fine too!

FYI, in the picture the goal post bracket is bent too much! You don't want to bend it that much or your ball will get stuck just before it makes it to the mini playfield.

got_diverter_(resized).jpggot_diverter_(resized).jpg

#16 8 years ago

Good to hear. If you get that bend just right it will be 100% I have not had a bad upkick to mini-playfield in over 100 games

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

OK, I tried the velcro. It seemed to help with the kicks to the mini playfield, but it completely ruined the kick up to the iron throne. The velcro had industrial strength adhesive so I had to remove the entire elevator to get the velcro back out.
So next I bent the goal post bracket. Damn that is some strong steel! Put it all back together and the kicks to the mini playfield were worse. 1/5 tries the ball would actually get stuck right at the exit of the elevator. I had made the diverter just a hair too tight. So leaving it in the machine I just used pliers to bend it back and lo and behold it now works almost perfectly! Maybe 80-90% of the time it kicks to the mini playfield on the first try. Throne kick works fine too!
FYI, in the picture the goal post bracket is bent too much! You don't want to bend it that much or your ball will get stuck just before it makes it to the mini playfield.

got_diverter_(resized).jpg

Hi,

okay good to know, on my machine it works perfectly, the Throne is also working without any issues on mine.
So I think there is a real big gap in the production of the parts by Stern.

Yesterday I had another issue, while playing "Winter has come" the left flipper finger stopped working. After draining all balls it starts working again.

#18 8 years ago

Winter has come Wizard mode - As per the rules a flipper will go dead it is not bug or game issue.

Horde: A timer is activated, and all seven major shots are lit. Each shot made awards points and restarts the timer. If the timer runs out at any point, another shot will be added. The timer is not shown on the DMD; you must listen carefully for a clock ticking. Completing all seven lit shots begins the Lieutenant Phase.
Lieutenant: Three shots are lit as hurry-ups on their own timers. Once one shot is hit, a new shot will start timing out. If a shot times out, a flipper will become frozen and be temporarily deactivated for a couple of seconds, or until a specific shot is hit with the other flipper. If all three shots time out, you'll have to shoot a lit shot in a small period to get back to this mode; if that timer runs out, you'll have to face the Horde again. Collecting four shots during this mode awards the Winter is Coming Super Jackpot, which instantly rewards all the hurry-up values you collected from Winter is Coming again. This will also send you back to Horde, for shots at more Super Jackpots.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

Winter has come Wizard mode - As per the rules a flipper will go dead it is not bug or game issue.
Horde: A timer is activated, and all seven major shots are lit. Each shot made awards points and restarts the timer. If the timer runs out at any point, another shot will be added. The timer is not shown on the DMD; you must listen carefully for a clock ticking. Completing all seven lit shots begins the Lieutenant Phase.
Lieutenant: Three shots are lit as hurry-ups on their own timers. Once one shot is hit, a new shot will start timing out. If a shot times out, a flipper will become frozen and be temporarily deactivated for a couple of seconds, or until a specific shot is hit with the other flipper. If all three shots time out, you'll have to shoot a lit shot in a small period to get back to this mode; if that timer runs out, you'll have to face the Horde again. Collecting four shots during this mode awards the Winter is Coming Super Jackpot, which instantly rewards all the hurry-up values you collected from Winter is Coming again. This will also send you back to Horde, for shots at more Super Jackpots.

Ohhh thank you, I didn't know that. I think that's it.

#20 8 years ago

And it's always the left flipper. I've never had the right flipper frozen. It's such a cool mode!

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

And it's always the left flipper. I've never had the right flipper frozen. It's such a cool mode!

I had both flippers freeze on me a few times. Its called tilt and that mode SUCKS!

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

I had both flippers freeze on me a few times. Its called tilt and that mode SUCKS!

"Backoff, You're playing a bit ruff" /Aria

2 years later
#23 5 years ago

I got a LE weeks ago and love this machine. Here and there, the elevator is too week to get the ball up to the throne. The installed vuk coil is a 26-1200, but in the manual is a 23-800 listed. I tried a 23-800 and it works perfect, but is it maybe a bit too strong ?
Did Stern decide too change it in the production or is in my machine a wrong coil by mistake in ?
I would like to know if in your machines is a 26-1200 or 23-800 coil in to kick the ball up to the ramp to the throne.
I‘m not talking about the coil for the diverter to decide upper Playfield/Throne way, it is the coil under the Playfield for the kicker.

Thanks for your feedback !

1 year later
#24 3 years ago

Bending the arms worked like a charm! I went from making it up to the upper playfield 30% of the time to 100%. I appreciate the tip, particularly after the washer trick did nothing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-if-thrones-leprem-elevator-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.