View topic image gallery

msf-5 (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
msf-4 (resized).jpg
msf-3 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
MSF-2 (resized).jpg
MSF-1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Your outlane kicker may have a cracked diode on it that allowed a back EMF spike to take out some other part of the system. Hopefully, not the CPU board - I don't see any LED activity lamps on the upper right corner of the CPU board in your picture operating.

You should get a DMM/Voltmeter and first check all your major power supply voltages. Check for +5VDC out of the power supply at the power supply connector in the pic below.

F1= 7a slo-blo for +5 vdc (regulator input 9 vac).
F2= 7a slo-blo for +5 vdc (regulator input 9 vac).
F3= Not present on most games.
F4= 8a slo-blo for 18 vdc switched illumination.
F5= 4a slo-blo for 32 vdc low-voltage solenoids, bumpers, slingshots.
F6= 5a slo-blo for 32 vdc for L/R Relay coils and flas

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from nworker:

@wayout440 Thank you for the response. I checked the voltages on the PS board. The +12 and -12 checked out, but the +5 is in the mV range. I checked the voltages at CN5 and they are dead. Where does the 5 VDC at the test point come from?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Check for 19VAC coming into bridge rectifier DB1 (you can get this across fuses F1 and F2 with meter set to AC, while checking those fuse clips and fuses) the rectified DC out of the bridge runs through the 5VDC regulator circuit that feeds the test point and the connector CN5. The test point itself is not shown on the schematics. Common failures are fuses, filter caps, bridge, TR5, and IC1.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#6 5 years ago

Whoops!, yes the test points are there, I accidentally cut them off on the right when I screenshot the schematics.

Quoted from nworker:

I checked across F1 and F2 and got 10.74 VDC

Hmmmm, that's not correct. You shouldn't have any DC there. Set the meter to AC setting. You should have around 19-20 volts AC. If you don't have that coming into the board, you won't get your +5VDC logic power so we'd be working our way backwards upstream. If you have the 19-20VAC coming in then proceed to the following:

At the edge of the board by the giant heatsink for the regulator transistor, you should see wire attachment points for the regulator transistor labeled E, B and C.

Set meter to DC, and measure from ground to "C". Should see about 11VDC there. If it isn't, then set the meter to AC and take the same measurement. You should see around 40mV or less. If you are measuring much higher - in AC volts instead of millivolts, then one or more filter caps are probably bad. If the DC voltage is not present, probably the bridge. I would then remove the board and take some rectifier measurements or cap measurements to confirm, since you really have to get to the back of the board to do this. Also, would check for cracked through-hole solder joints on the back.

The regulator transistor wire labeled "B" should be around 6.77VDC, the point E would be your pre-conditioned logic voltage - about 5.4VDC. You can use standard transistor testing with the game power off to check the transistor.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from nworker:

@wayout440 Ground to:
C is 13.64 VDC
B is 152 mV
E is 87.7 mV

These measurements show input voltage to transistor, no output. Transistor is suspect.

Quoted from nworker:

I took out the board to test the transistor. With the meter set to diode

Black to E Red to B .562

On an NPN transistor like this you should see "0" or over limit for this measurement. This also points to the transistor as being faulty.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from nworker:

Should I go for the 2N6057, if I can find it?

Yes, should be 2N6057. You shouldn't have any problem finding them. Marco and Action Pinball have them in stock.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from nworker:

The board arrived, I installed it, and Bingo, it works! I wish I had gotten the old board to work, but it would seem the next part is was to replace the MC1723C voltage regulator. I don't have any in my pile of parts so it is back to shipping and waiting...

Happens. Sometimes multiple failures. You've got good reliable power to play now, with a little luck you might get the old board working, possibly to save it as a backup.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-goes-dark-almost?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.