Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by nman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I'm looking for a breakdown of the different game archtypes. Helpful info would be best examples and designers of those types of games.

For example, flow, stop-and-go, mode based, deep, shallow, etc.

Looking for my first game and I wanted to see if there was a pattern or a collection I could build based on the information.

Thanks, B

#2 6 years ago

I had to look up "archetypes"-

an original that has been imitated.

a very typical example of a certain person or thing.

a recurrent symbol or motif in literature, art, or mythology.

So yeah, most pinball machines are archetypes.

#3 6 years ago

They are, but what are the groups.

#4 6 years ago

LCD, DMD, alpha numeric, Solid state and electro mechanical.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

LCD, DMD, alpha numeric, Solid state and electro mechanical.

And 'mechanical'.

#6 6 years ago

I always hear people use descriptive terms like "Players Table" or "Shooter's Game."

#7 6 years ago

Some have wooden archtypes and some have steel. The Ballys from the late 70s had these real cool tubular ones.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from boggle:

I'm looking for a breakdown of the different game archtypes. Helpful info would be best examples and designers of those types of games.
    For example, flow, stop-and-go, mode based, deep, shallow, etc.
    Looking for my first game and I wanted to see if there was a pattern or a collection I could build based on the information.
    Thanks, B

Is this coming from a Jordan Peterson fan, perhaps? I don’t think his archetypes perspective is compelling in any context, especially pinball.

#9 6 years ago

I was just trying to o break them out in them out categories.

Flow
    Mode based
    Deep
    Shallow

Things like that

#10 6 years ago

There flipper and flipperless

#11 6 years ago

Interesting thought. I started to come up with something, but it's really difficult to classify games into archetypes because games can be so different depending on different variables - era, designer, programmer, etc. If you're new, most people will lump games by designers and programmers. Very loosely and quickly I've broken them down into different archetypes in each category. It's a really rough list, and only covers some of the first things that came to mind.

Designers
    Ritchie - known for fast and flowy games (Flash, HS, NF, ACDC, GOT)
    Nordman - flow games, typically a 3rd flipper involved (i500, Wh20, DM)
    Eddy - Flow, with a bash toy (in 2/3, anyway) (AFM, MM)
    Borg - I think he's tough to pin down, he has a lot of variation in his games... (I know, that's really no help) (Tron, XM, MET, TWD)
    Lawlor - "stop and go" is often used. Pick your shots, usually a 3rd flipper to a jackpot shot somewhere (TAF, TZ, WW, RCT)

Programmers
    Johnson - very deep rules, think "epic journey" (pairs well with "stop and go" games) (TSPP, WOZ, LOTR)
    Sheats - Simple to understand, but lots of strategy to maximize points, very clean and complete (usually pairs well with flow games) (AFM, SM, ACDC)
    Sullivan - Simple rules, usually focused heavily on multipliers (SW Pro, GOT)

Eras
    60s and earlier - keep the ball alive, score points
    Early SS - A little more depth to rules, clear drop targets, rip spinners, etc.
    Mid 80s (sys 11 era) - stories added to rules, help pinbot find his eyes, run away from the cops in HS, etc (PinBot, HS, WW)
    DMD era - games become more complex and focus more on story (modes). Obtaining high scores often involves stacking, etc
    LCD era - here we are... games have become even more complex - there are multiple ways to attack a game, with lots of minutia to obtaining maximum points

#12 6 years ago

Uh, "world under glass"?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-archtypes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.