(Topic ID: 10158)

Gambling on Pinball

By sixsixtie

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I've been playing poker for a living for a number of years and what initially drew me to pinball was how much like poker the game really was. I mean to most outsiders the games both seem like pure luck, but the deeper your actual understanding of the games are you start to realize that luck plays a much smaller role than skill does. True in both games luck does still exist but with skill you are able to neutralize it to a degree.

As I started playing more and more I started to wonder how much fun it would be to actually bet on pinball games. Just like golf it just seems that games are much more fun when theres a wager on the line (and a beer in hand). The bet doesn't have to be big but man does it ever make it fun.

A friend and I have started recently doing it and it even changes the way we've played. In the past on multiplayer games the winner would go first. Now winner chooses and usually chooses to go last so he knows what score he has to beat.

It's pretty awesome to put up an awesome third ball to come back and scoop the money.

I was thinking even further that you could even set it up bowling style and figure out handicaps for players on certain games to make a completely even playing field. Say on MM player 1 averages 28 million and player 2 averages 20 million. At the end of the game player 2 would add 8 million to his score and whomever had the best score would win.

What do you guys think? Ever play for cash? How about handicapping. It'd be sweet to handicap a whole tournament that way recreational players could play next to near pros. The main problem however would be people sandbagging averages just to win. But that's a rambling side point.

#2 12 years ago

there was a legal problem with possible gambling on pinball when it first came out. There used to be "No Gambling" signs posted on some machines in some states.

#3 12 years ago

Yeah but I mean most people here are mostly home use. Plus they have signs at pool halls too amirite

#4 12 years ago

yep. i usually bet a cigar....

#5 12 years ago

There was a story i heard of people putting money on the playfield glass in any spot they wanted to, example the flippers or a hard spot to hit, so it kinda acted like blind spots. The person with the best score gets the pot. I thought this would be kinda fun.

#6 12 years ago

That reminds me. I also want to start getting a few people together. Everyone anteing up some cash and putting it under the glass and saying first X score gets it, or first Wizard mode completion or something like that. I've seen them do that with single $100 bills on the papa videos.

#7 12 years ago

I sometimes play for dollars. Generally a four person game, not a lot of cash changing hands but if you get a streak going it can add up.

#8 12 years ago

I love gambling... Good ideas, I'll see if I can get my friends to start something like this. I get the feeling that they'll just think I'm try to hustle them. I'm not good, but owning a machine in my group gives the impression that I must be.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

there was a legal problem with possible gambling on pinball when it first came out. There used to be "No Gambling" signs posted on some machines in some states.

That's because early pinballs had no flippers and the game was more luck than skill. Once flippers were added the game became more an exercise in skill and the gambling bans on pinball were relaxed/eliminated.

#10 12 years ago

I've been doing Tommy dollars where we put a one dollar bill down on the glass wherever we choose and all play with that impediment. Winner takes the dollars.

#11 12 years ago

I gamble every time I eat out.

#12 12 years ago

TIL the term "tommy dollar"

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

I gamble every time I eat out.

Same. credit card roulette.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from sixsixtie:

I've been playing poker for a living for a number of years and what initially drew me to pinball was how much like poker the game really was. I mean to most outsiders the games both seem like pure luck, but the deeper your actual understanding of the games are you start to realize that luck plays a much smaller role than skill does. True in both games luck does still exist but with skill you are able to neutralize it to a degree.

Excellent observation. This is exactly how I describe pinball to people in answer to "isn't pinball mostly luck?"

#15 12 years ago

We do Tommy Dollars quite a bit. If you have enough people you can do split flipper tommy dollars. 8 bills on the pf! Nuts.

Quick history: From when pinball was "invented" in 1931, until 1947, it didn't have flippers. The skill was in the plunge and some careful nudging.

It was absolutely a gambling game in those days. Some had payout mechs like a slot machine, but more often you sold any credits you earned back to the bartender or drug store clerk, or redeemed them for prizes like gum or cigarettes.

Even after flippers, up to the 70s, Bally built Bingo machines which were purely for gambling and didn't have flippers. Here is a song about a guy who went broke playing Bingos.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

There used to be "No Gambling" signs posted on some machines in some states.

They also used to come that way from the factory in the 50s:

The tray liner on my 1954 Gottlieb Stage Coach has a graphic that says "No Prizes No Wagering".

Other early 50s Gottlieb's had one that read "Minors Not Permitted To Play This Game".

#17 12 years ago

Every once in a while my friends and I have a "tournament of quarters".

We clear the high scores to zero and take the machine off of free play so everyone has to pay to play. At the end of the night who ever posted the highest score gets to get all the $ in the machine. Its nice, simple and super exciting when you get a match (since you get to play your next game for free).

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from SunsetPinball:

We clear the high scores to zero and take the machine off of free play so everyone has to pay to play. At the end of the night who ever posted the highest score gets to get all the $ in the machine. Its nice, simple and super exciting when you get a match (since you get to play your next game for free).

I really like that, what a great idea.

#19 12 years ago

Actually a gambling/pinball machine/device might be a big hit!!!Think slot machine with flippers.
    Lots of side bets going on during league play.Reminds me of the golf course.Little wagers here and there on shots and what not.Good,clean fun.Scott

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gambling-on-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.