CE2DDB4D-1CE8-4275-A55C-1D793524CF2A (resized).jpeg
FA5032A7-153C-417C-B6BD-6FEC28029D34 (resized).jpeg
C88CE890-B68C-4A61-A18E-F6E6F594AF80 (resized).jpeg
F74AFD2B-0CD7-402C-9B8B-3990D84AD5FF (resized).jpeg
DSCF6963 (resized).JPG
20150803_220949 (resized).jpg
DSC01710 (resized).JPG
RS_After (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chosen_S.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I've been fascinated with Flight 2k for a while, but never owned one. I started to look closer into buying one, but then discovered Gamatron! A slim version with different mechanics and one less popbumper, and a super cool robot being destroyed by futuristic war machines, it's right up my alley.

I posted a want ad to get a playfield and daughter card, and the next day a non-pinsider calls me, he has both sitting in storage, they've been there since 1987 or so... We made a deal.. I overpaid Lol, but on the road to victory.

I also had picked up a back plexi at TPF (which is how I discovered Gamatron)

Edit:
Here is a link to a gallery of my work in progress

https://flic.kr/s/aHskFqFuaZ

#2 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3 7 years ago

I have a friend that helped me along in acquiring a new cabinet, I was stressing about this because I have had no project cab prospects for a long while, so cudos to my buddy Anthony!

#4 7 years ago

#10 7 years ago

Hey, thanks guys!

I got everything removed topside, on my super cheap rotisserie

#11 7 years ago

Got the cab loaded, played a little Tetris but got er in!

Oh and My buddy loaded it with goodies, I can't thank him enough!

#15 7 years ago

I'm guessing here... Was Steve Kirk the "guy" to implement the post between flippers? Maybe this was a nod to Steve Kirk??

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Good theory, I have no idea...just that "Kirk Post TM" is awfully out of place and hilarious.

I agree, it's pretty wild...

From stern "nine ball" ipbd:

"Stern programmer Alan McNeil told us that the mini-post screw between the flippers was known as a Kirk Post (for designer Steve Kirk)."

I would think it hilarious if a pin came about that was a showcase of pinball designers ideas and the design ideas noted all over the playfield like the "Kirk post"

#23 7 years ago

The Gamatron robot kind of reminds me of the the cyclons from battle star galagtica

#24 7 years ago

First coat of clear, noticing the very plankiness of this playfield... I think I might have just made up a new word .

#25 7 years ago

Sanded and touched up ready for 2nd coat

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:I have 2 NOS fields for this game. and 1 2nd print playfield that was literally the first test print. and also the Whitewood which is quite nice to own. I want to build 1 more so I have Steve Kirks original, The whitewood and then 1 with a NOS field , NOS plastics, and Painted cab like the stickers. I have the parts its just not having time. I NEED TO FIND TIME!!!
I love me the Gamatron!!!...Fantastic game.

Then you need the segasa version, it has a different color scheme and cabinet and electronics I'm pretty sure

#32 7 years ago

another pic of the pf after 1st clear coat and sanding

28949811692_7f96f3f008_k_(resized).jpg28949811692_7f96f3f008_k_(resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago

... and second coat of clear, the 1st coat dried for 4.5 days.. this should be the last coat, the sanding and buffing should put a mirror shine, I hope

28949811762_42dc16a97f_o_(resized).jpg28949811762_42dc16a97f_o_(resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

My Gamatron have this thick plastic cover on the playfield which left it in pristine condition, i guess Segasa thought ahead

That's mylar , I cant stand it, I wish I could remove all the mylar and clear coat every playfield I have

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

No, its not mylar, i know what mylar looks like, having removed it like twice now, this is a clear, thick plastic sheet.
4 mm thick, to be exact

WOAH! that's wicked, cant imagine how'd you shine that up?

#39 7 years ago

anyone know which spinner I need???I have one, but I need to source another assembly... seems the gamatron play fields have lost their spinners somehow

#41 7 years ago

A few bumps along the way, not my best work, but good enough...

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

By the way just touch it up and then put in the wire guides. Won't notice it at all. Do this all the time post clear

Thank you... I'll touch them up next time. I hate removing those wire forms, never a clean way.

I have one spinner , I have both brackets, I just need to know what type of spinner to at least have 2 total spinners, I'll take a good pic of the spinner graphic and make a decal for the other one. I think pinball resource has the spinner, but I'm not certain.

#48 7 years ago

Lol, that makes it even more difficult, I guess I'll try a few different ideas... More to come

Thanks dothedoo!!, good catch!

#50 7 years ago

Oh that is right because on Martino's Andromeda it has the same spinner and so does Sharpshooter. Should be able to find something like that and use a Classic stern spinner in it.

I have the bracket and spinner switch rod, I just gotta find a classic stern spinner then !!! Thank you guys

#54 7 years ago

A preview of things to come

#56 7 years ago

Possibly

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Nice Side art. If you simplified it a little more you could use a stencil which I always like better than decals. Maybe try to work the Pinstar logo in there too..

Thanks for the tip, but I like all the color, plus I have a few tricks up my sleeve

#63 7 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

Got some work done...

Left to do:

Metal pop bumper, replace the old one with old stern metal... Really pinstar!? Plastic popbumper???

Clean and adjust large drop target mech

Looks like mice ate the plastic on some wires... Need to repair / replace wires on some coils and some switches in various places

Later: replace flipper mechs, want to see how the plastic ones perform

#65 7 years ago

Here's my spinner

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

DON'T!! That is the best pop bumper ever made. If you absolutely feel the need to stick with a metal pop bumper, sell it to me.

Seriously??? What makes it so great?

If the plastic pop breaks, then what?

#75 7 years ago

Not that it's better, it's not a widebody game, so it plays like a normal playfield

It's also missing a pop bumper

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Hey, does your Gamatron have these Ceramic resistors?

Nope, I don't have a resistor block like that... I'm guessing mine is by design; Almost just like a stern or Bally from the early 80's/ late 70's

Dothedoo has dibs, but I just installed it back in, we'll see how it fares

#82 7 years ago

Sure will... But, these guys have done Gamatron if you want something correct with out DIY

http://bgresto.com

I'll let you know soon

#83 7 years ago

heres a cruddy image to start with, not mine, but one I found thru google

http://www.arcadecrusade.com/gallery/v/minimarquees/Minis+and+Lables/hyperpin/backglasses/Gamatron.png.html

#84 7 years ago

The problem with taking a photo of mine, is the glare and reflection, no matter what I do I get reflection of myself and my surroundings

#86 7 years ago

A little progress... Edit: I hate how pinside uploading keeps glitching, sorry for a million photos

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Playfield turned out nice.

Thank you , it really needs to be 2000 sanded one more time and buffed once more, but I'll do that when I shop it out after I've enjoyed it for a while.

I think forming all the stuff for the cab is the hardest and most time consuming.

The flipper buttons need to be drilled 1.5 inch, I drilled 1 1/8 inch then had to file the holes out. May have to file more.

Waiting on parts and for things to dry is... Well, you know

Has no one noticed the 3 speaker holes??

#90 7 years ago

MP3 Trigger v2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G2KRXS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1rHWxbZWV1FJQ

There's a device called an MP3 trigger, it can listen for a switch, and play MP3s from an sd card... Sound effects, music, voice sound files.

3 speakers... I plan to add to the experience, have the original sound come from the game, plus add in event sounds and possibly a music soundtrack. should be pretty sweet.

#92 7 years ago

Got the playfield to a really good point, I got a little under the weather, but I'm moving now!

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I had always read on here that you want to allow time for your clearcoat to cure before adding the components. I'm not sure when you did it exactly but the post started 15 days ago. I'm not nit picking, I love this thread so far, just wanted to help you out with what I have read on here but some of the playfield greats.

Thanks for the heads up, you are correct... I should have allowed a few weeks of cure time, but I'm in a time crunch, I plan to strip it down after a while and re do the top coat. I actually had the clear coat on a little while before I started posting. But still I should have waited. I usually do wait; in the case of clearcoating meteor, black knight and mm, I did wait.

I did add a faster activator to the clear on Gamatron to help speed up the process hoping that it would help

#95 7 years ago

#101 7 years ago

#102 7 years ago

#103 7 years ago
#107 7 years ago

Thanks guys! I plan to hook in some led strips to some of the different lights, so lights inside the cab will follow the pattern of the game... Or use sound active led strips... I'll work on lighting and music once I get everything normal working.

#108 7 years ago

#110 7 years ago

#112 7 years ago

I like using the spar-urethane for a top coat on cabinets, that stuff won't yellow, it can also take a beating and it will work well with application of decals. Mostly I like the exoskeleton it creates for the paint. My family has been refinishing furniture for decades and this stuff has always proven itself.

I Started moving wiring in and screwing in metal parts, had to reprint the graphics ( colors were off), drilled holes for the backbox to connect.

Found out that my Marco order was sent to someone else, Marco got it handled and parts should be here Tuesday...

Headed out of town for one last summer fun weekend, hope y'all have a great Labor Day weekend

#113 7 years ago

#117 7 years ago

Love the lower. Not a fan of the upper...

Thanks B! , I didn't feel like I had much to work with on the top, I guess I could have done less strokes, there's just too many letters to work with, made it too slim

#122 7 years ago

I know... Pssst.. (One of them is mine, I bought it to have one to trade)

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That lower cab is great looking. Too bad you couldn't put the maufacturer name somewhere. Maybe the front below the coin door?

Thank you!

I plan to make a pinstar decal that will go on the coindoor, just need to get past a few steps first, I keep having to redo stupid things like the left decal that the print company had to reprint 4 times, and I misplaced my lockdown bar, I've searched for it for 30 minutes so far.

I stuck in the silverball mania lockdown bar and it appears that the side rails need to be moved toward the front 1/8" , which means the buttons need to be moved too!!! Fun times

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Nice work !
Is there any reason that you cannot shave of 1/8" of metal from your side rails? I think that would be easier than resetting flipper holes.

They are the Bally side rails that have the button hole drilled in them, no big deal, just another 30 minutes

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Are you going for really bright lit side panels? My vote would be for a dull glow.
I actually thought the decal for the lit area was still going to be yellow instead of clear.

I'm not planning for it to be lit directly , but mostly from the lighting from the underside of the playfield. later I might add some led strips in the cab on the opposing side if I feel it needs more, but definitely no lighting directly behind the clear area

#129 7 years ago

Fixed my issue this morning and made some progress on speakers and dropping the pf in

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

I did it this way, some quick stickers i had made at the local printershop.

Nice, I have a plan to make some decals too, since they are cosmetic, I'm making them the last thing that I do

#132 7 years ago

#133 7 years ago

There's some life! All voltages on the rectifier board are good. I am using the working mpu from my galaxy. I think I have everything hooked up properly, but there's a few wires I'm not sure where they go.

I bet the daughterboard needs power somehow, but not sure how it gets power.

I see on ipbd the pics of the backbox show a green wire coming from the daughterboard to the mpu, and a red wire coming from the daughterboard on the bottom, but don't see where it's going...

Anybody know what to do here?

Thanks for all the support, it's getting really close, then i can start adding in some really cool stuff

#134 7 years ago

I looked in the manual and it provides about 20 instructions to get the conversion done. So I did all those it took about 5 hours and it's still not booting, I'm looking for answers, but I'm not certain... If anyone out there has the ability to get a ton of pics of a working Gamatron in its head, I need to see all wires and connectors in detail if possible.

Here's a few pics of its current state, and the almost finished robot head speaker system, enjoy!

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

So, its going to be like a topper?

Yes sir, but interactive, sound and a chasing eye led strip

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Ah, like KITT? Looks cool, but wont it make the backbox looks big and clunky?

The "robot head" will be smaller than the footprint of the back box, but you can be the judge after I install it

I have the machine booting, but no sound is working, only one single beep when being turned on. Then when starting a game the ball will kick into the shooter lane...
Then all solenoids and switches deactivate. The flipper relay and the solenoid relay turn on and then right back off after the ball is placed in the shooter lane.
I could really use some insight

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Hmm, checked the switches for the ball lane? if those 3 dont register right the game thinks there are balls missing and go back to attract/search mode, i have 3 cherry switches on mine, which i had to do some bending magic to get working again.

Thank you! I have 3 cherry switches also. Coincidentally, I adjusted all that stuff first thing because it was not operating properly. I'll check it again thoroughly.

#141 7 years ago

Got the issue with the tilt fixed

My flippers are machine gunning.

It could be coils, eos, or cab flipper switches

Any one have alternate part numbers for the eos or coils?

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Sent this info in a PM, but I'll add it here for everyone's benefit.
Flipper coil could be replaced with a standard Bally or Stern flipper coil. Or you could go with the high power Stern coil STN-J25-450. The actual part number of the coil Pinstar used is 24-450/34-4700 so they have a little higher power than the standard Bally/Stern 25-500, but I'm sure you could make the Bally/Stern coil just as powerful with a narrow EOS gap.
Machine gunning usually means the small gauge wire has broken off one of the terminals. You can unwind one turn, clip, strip and resolder.

Doo! Great help, I fixed everything, she's playing beautifully, video coming soon!

#144 7 years ago

A few more pics

1 week later
#147 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Set the game to award wows and specials for points. Then once MB starts, you can go for those for high score. Makes wows and specials feel like jackpots.
Gamatron software is the same as F2K. Some switches are moved around, that is it. At least for pinstar version.

the manual is not very clear on this subject, can you please clarify what the switch settings are?

1 week later
#148 7 years ago

Here's a video of the build and another of some gameplay

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from Nighthawk128:

Home clear jobs are terrible, be carefull take your time but if it's stripped down send it to HSApinball, those folks do a stellar job

It's already done, I've cleared 3 playfields, they've all turned out nice, even when I was unsure, thank you for the concern

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Nice videos.
Have to say.....I was disappointed not to see the start of multiball after you showing in the first video the Daft Punk song start. Another video around the corner?

I was disappointed too, this was the third recording, I'll give it another go soon, about. 1 in 10 games I'll start multi ball. It's pretty cool... Stay tuned

1 year later
#159 6 years ago

Just posting up a few photos for old time sake

F74AFD2B-0CD7-402C-9B8B-3990D84AD5FF (resized).jpegF74AFD2B-0CD7-402C-9B8B-3990D84AD5FF (resized).jpeg

C88CE890-B68C-4A61-A18E-F6E6F594AF80 (resized).jpegC88CE890-B68C-4A61-A18E-F6E6F594AF80 (resized).jpeg

FA5032A7-153C-417C-B6BD-6FEC28029D34 (resized).jpegFA5032A7-153C-417C-B6BD-6FEC28029D34 (resized).jpeg

CE2DDB4D-1CE8-4275-A55C-1D793524CF2A (resized).jpegCE2DDB4D-1CE8-4275-A55C-1D793524CF2A (resized).jpeg

081B10EB-A33F-486D-BE35-17B4346E3BB0 (resized).jpeg081B10EB-A33F-486D-BE35-17B4346E3BB0 (resized).jpeg

#160 6 years ago

EC0DC4EF-27D5-4DC6-A24F-D2627C77F1D8 (resized).jpegEC0DC4EF-27D5-4DC6-A24F-D2627C77F1D8 (resized).jpeg

F5A76DC2-ACF3-4C71-9148-1888863C7B5C (resized).jpegF5A76DC2-ACF3-4C71-9148-1888863C7B5C (resized).jpeg

3 years later
#161 2 years ago

Been a long time coming for this one... I’ve been having lots of issues keeping this machine running consistently, BlueBlood came to the rescue by creating these connector boards and hooking me up with a set... the sorry ribbon cable connector that is used with the mpu200 causes serious connection instability, now there is a home made solution... IDE ribbon cable connector .

I had previously installed machine sockets, so they were a pain to remove, but after an evening with the iron, gamatron is playing great again!

38EF437B-FA01-4319-B011-DDA60DB410A8 (resized).jpeg38EF437B-FA01-4319-B011-DDA60DB410A8 (resized).jpeg4404B33A-E2B9-42C7-BE99-985FC12307F6 (resized).jpeg4404B33A-E2B9-42C7-BE99-985FC12307F6 (resized).jpeg51861F8D-EEDE-4F28-9DB3-C53B54217B98 (resized).jpeg51861F8D-EEDE-4F28-9DB3-C53B54217B98 (resized).jpeg57615127-9256-4B61-94EB-EFEA9E5CFA9B (resized).jpeg57615127-9256-4B61-94EB-EFEA9E5CFA9B (resized).jpeg6EFC20E5-7C67-4C95-B1B5-8817C4634DA9 (resized).jpeg6EFC20E5-7C67-4C95-B1B5-8817C4634DA9 (resized).jpeg
#164 2 years ago

Hey guys! There’s a club!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gamatron-club-blast-the-giant-robot#post-5966081

Love to see y’all’s builds over there too

Quoted from Dr_Dude:

Nice! Yeah, my Gamatron had the same issue: Don't touch the cable or it would crash!
I actually had Gamatron and F2K side-by-side for a while. It was really amazing how the narrow playfield was still quite fun. Honestly, the ball-walker takes up a lot of the real-estate on the F2K without much benefit, so it was a great idea to make it a regular playfield.

I have both as well, gamatron is my favorite of the 2... I did a major music mod on my gamatron, I really need to post a good video of it... I’ve been thinking of adding speech to gamatron as well, it might be overkill though

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chosen_S.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gamatron-scratch-build?tu=Chosen_S and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.