CE2DDB4D-1CE8-4275-A55C-1D793524CF2A (resized).jpeg
FA5032A7-153C-417C-B6BD-6FEC28029D34 (resized).jpeg
C88CE890-B68C-4A61-A18E-F6E6F594AF80 (resized).jpeg
F74AFD2B-0CD7-402C-9B8B-3990D84AD5FF (resized).jpeg
DSCF6963 (resized).JPG
20150803_220949 (resized).jpg
DSC01710 (resized).JPG
RS_After (resized).jpg
There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 7 years ago

My spinner looks like this:

IMG_2317_(resized).JPGIMG_2317_(resized).JPG

IMG_2314_(resized).JPGIMG_2314_(resized).JPG

#52 7 years ago

I think all Segasa games have that plexi over the playfield.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think all Segasa games have that plexi over the playfield.

Well im grateful since the playfield is pretty much in brand new condition thanks to it, + i never have to clearcoat it LOL

#54 7 years ago

A preview of things to come

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#55 7 years ago

Side-art?

#56 7 years ago

Possibly

#57 7 years ago

Nice Side art. If you simplified it a little more you could use a stencil which I always like better than decals. Maybe try to work the Pinstar logo in there too.

Quoted from Luzur:

Well im grateful since the playfield is pretty much in brand new condition thanks to it, + i never have to clearcoat it LOL

I'm curious how fast your game plays. I have read a thread where a plexi overlay can have more drag on the ball thus slowing the game down.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Nice Side art. If you simplified it a little more you could use a stencil which I always like better than decals. Maybe try to work the Pinstar logo in there too..

Thanks for the tip, but I like all the color, plus I have a few tricks up my sleeve

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm curious how fast your game plays. I have read a thread where a plexi overlay can have more drag on the ball thus slowing the game down.

Play an Elektra and see. I don't remember noticing a difference in speed.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

A preview of things to come

That should be cool. Anxious to see how it turns out.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Well, my game is on a couple of trestles atm, so i cannot say, but ive done with the wood job now (filling in the missing corner and stuff with chemical wood) so im preparing to move it from my garage and into my home.

#62 7 years ago

Well, was out and fixed the GI lighting (cleaned the lampsockets and put in new 47's, also fixed a broken GI wiring at the back part of the playfield with some solder.) and also cleaned the flipper switches and took them out completely and cleaned the holes in the playfield too, but they are still weak as baby hands and the right one still gets stuck for a few seconds.

So i ordered 2 brand new switches for it, maybe that'll fix it.

EDIT: dang it, wrong thread LOL

#63 7 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

Got some work done...

Left to do:

Metal pop bumper, replace the old one with old stern metal... Really pinstar!? Plastic popbumper???

Clean and adjust large drop target mech

Looks like mice ate the plastic on some wires... Need to repair / replace wires on some coils and some switches in various places

Later: replace flipper mechs, want to see how the plastic ones perform

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

My spinner looks like this:

Your game has different artwork than mine. It is kind of close, but different in a lot of ways. Mine was made by Pinstar.

I love Gamatron. I might be bias, but i think it plays better than F2K.

#65 7 years ago

Here's my spinner

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Metal pop bumper, replace the old one with old stern metal... Really pinstar!? Plastic popbumper???

DON'T!! That is the best pop bumper ever made. If you absolutely feel the need to stick with a metal pop bumper, sell it to me.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Here's my spinner

Looks good.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

DON'T!! That is the best pop bumper ever made. If you absolutely feel the need to stick with a metal pop bumper, sell it to me.

Seriously??? What makes it so great?

If the plastic pop breaks, then what?

#69 7 years ago

It's lightweight and fast. Plastic rarely breaks and you can find replacements. These are classic Stern pops circa 1980 and later.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Mines plastic too, so i guess it was a thing in the mid-80's

#71 7 years ago

My Gamatron has tons of plastics mechs... dare i say they held up better than metal ones... not really sure because i can't guess play count.

Plastic pop in mine works great. I don't think i even took it apart when i went through the PF.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Your game has different artwork than mine. It is kind of close, but different in a lot of ways. Mine was made by Pinstar.
I love Gamatron. I might be bias, but i think it plays better than F2K.

Are the rules different? I've been really getting into F2K. It's a great game. I love how the multiball works and the amount you can build the multiplier and spinner is crazy. I just wish there was something to do after you get multiball.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Are the rules different? I've been really getting into F2K. It's a great game. I love how the multiball works and the amount you can build the multiplier and spinner is crazy. I just wish there was something to do after you get multiball.

Set the game to award wows and specials for points. Then once MB starts, you can go for those for high score. Makes wows and specials feel like jackpots.

Gamatron software is the same as F2K. Some switches are moved around, that is it. At least for pinstar version.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Set the game to award wows and specials for points. Then once MB starts, you can go for those for high score. Makes wows and specials feel like jackpots.
Gamatron software is the same as F2K. Some switches are moved around, that is it. At least for pinstar version.

So if it's the same what makes it better?

#75 7 years ago

Not that it's better, it's not a widebody game, so it plays like a normal playfield

It's also missing a pop bumper

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Got some work done...
Left to do:
Clean and adjust large drop target mech
Looks like mice ate the plastic on some wires... Need to repair / replace wires on some coils and some switches in various places
Later: replace flipper mechs, want to see how the plastic ones perform

Plastic pop bumpers are AWESOME. So much faster and it doesn't tear up the ball and create metal shards.... If you take off the game I will take no problem.

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

If you take off the game I will take no problem.

Get in line

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Plastic pop bumpers are AWESOME. So much faster and it doesn't tear up the ball and create metal shards.... If you take off the game I will take no problem.

dothedoo has....
Dibs (resized).jpgDibs (resized).jpg

#79 7 years ago

Hey, does your Gamatron have these Ceramic resistors?

IMG_2339 (resized).JPGIMG_2339 (resized).JPG

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Hey, does your Gamatron have these Ceramic resistors?

Nope, I don't have a resistor block like that... I'm guessing mine is by design; Almost just like a stern or Bally from the early 80's/ late 70's

Dothedoo has dibs, but I just installed it back in, we'll see how it fares

#81 7 years ago

Oh, btw, could you take a sharp pic of your backglass (+ without no camera flash)? Im gonna have to make my own it seems, no one seems have my version of the backglass.

#82 7 years ago

Sure will... But, these guys have done Gamatron if you want something correct with out DIY

http://bgresto.com

I'll let you know soon

#83 7 years ago

heres a cruddy image to start with, not mine, but one I found thru google

http://www.arcadecrusade.com/gallery/v/minimarquees/Minis+and+Lables/hyperpin/backglasses/Gamatron.png.html

#84 7 years ago

The problem with taking a photo of mine, is the glare and reflection, no matter what I do I get reflection of myself and my surroundings

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

The problem with taking a photo of mine, is the glare and reflection, no matter what I do I get reflection of myself and my surroundings

I could send you my camera, it have this anti-glare stuff on one of the settings, but...

Do your best anyway, i can fix alot of things with this program i have, made the Grand Lizard backglass with it.

#86 7 years ago

A little progress... Edit: I hate how pinside uploading keeps glitching, sorry for a million photos

#87 7 years ago

Playfield turned out nice.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Playfield turned out nice.

Thank you , it really needs to be 2000 sanded one more time and buffed once more, but I'll do that when I shop it out after I've enjoyed it for a while.

I think forming all the stuff for the cab is the hardest and most time consuming.

The flipper buttons need to be drilled 1.5 inch, I drilled 1 1/8 inch then had to file the holes out. May have to file more.

Waiting on parts and for things to dry is... Well, you know

Has no one noticed the 3 speaker holes??

#89 7 years ago

Ummm...."Whoa, there are 3 speaker holes, what's up with that?"

#90 7 years ago

MP3 Trigger v2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G2KRXS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1rHWxbZWV1FJQ

There's a device called an MP3 trigger, it can listen for a switch, and play MP3s from an sd card... Sound effects, music, voice sound files.

3 speakers... I plan to add to the experience, have the original sound come from the game, plus add in event sounds and possibly a music soundtrack. should be pretty sweet.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

MP3 Trigger v2 amazon.com link »
There's a device called an MP3 trigger, it can listen for a switch, and play MP3s from an sd card... Sound effects, music, voice sound files.
3 speakers... I plan to add to the experience, have the original sound come from the game, plus add in event sounds and possibly a music soundtrack. should be pretty sweet.

Hardest part would be finding a fitting music track, cant exactly put in Justin Bieber in this puppy

Maybe you should check out New 80's synth? lots of space themes there.

#92 7 years ago

Got the playfield to a really good point, I got a little under the weather, but I'm moving now!

#93 7 years ago

I had always read on here that you want to allow time for your clearcoat to cure before adding the components. I'm not sure when you did it exactly but the post started 15 days ago. I'm not nit picking, I love this thread so far, just wanted to help you out with what I have read on here but some of the playfield greats.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I had always read on here that you want to allow time for your clearcoat to cure before adding the components. I'm not sure when you did it exactly but the post started 15 days ago. I'm not nit picking, I love this thread so far, just wanted to help you out with what I have read on here but some of the playfield greats.

Thanks for the heads up, you are correct... I should have allowed a few weeks of cure time, but I'm in a time crunch, I plan to strip it down after a while and re do the top coat. I actually had the clear coat on a little while before I started posting. But still I should have waited. I usually do wait; in the case of clearcoating meteor, black knight and mm, I did wait.

I did add a faster activator to the clear on Gamatron to help speed up the process hoping that it would help

#95 7 years ago

#97 7 years ago

...Wait, what?

#98 7 years ago

YOU RUINED IT!

*whispers* Look at his side art.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Depends on the cure and material but automotive you can add components back in 1 to 2 days. 15 days is fine. Not sure on playing it but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. The majority of reaction especially top layer is cured and dried within hours.

#100 7 years ago

By the say I see you are actually painting the word gamatron and adding in the "laser" with the Robot. I LIKE IT!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gamatron-scratch-build/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.