20231218_165422 (resized).jpg
20231207_121246 (resized).jpg
20231206_144749 (resized).jpg
20231206_144755 (resized).jpg
20231205_212415 (resized).jpg
20231205_212307 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20231127_201243 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chosen_S.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

1986 Gamatron, Pinstar and Segasa Spain;Sonic

There’s no record of the production numbers of this game. Even Gary Stern doesn’t remember...

(Still trying to find video of this explanation)

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Gamatron+&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#984

From my research I had discovered that the Gamatron playfield was an original design by Harry Williams, and was not used by williams inc., but later used as a template for flight 2000 in 1980. Taking a normal style design playfield and creating a widebody, adding 2 inlanes and a popbumper and a few other design elements were changed...

Enter Pinstar 1986 with Gary Stern and designer Steve Kirk (stars, galaxy, 9 ball, meteor (early 80’s Stern)). Taking the original Harry Williams design and producing a kit for early 1980’s Stern cabinets...

From ipbd.com:

Gamatron was a conversion kit produced by Pinstar, a company started and owned by Gary Stern between the collapse of the 'original' Stern and the formation of Data East Pinball. The playfield is a version of Stern's 1980 'Flight 2000' and features a device similar to that game's ball-walker at the upper left, completing G-A-M-A-T-R-O-N letters to enable locks, etc. The Bally/Stern boardset is used - a PinStar daughterboard plugs into the CPU socket. A binary comparison of the software indicates that it is 100% identical to Flight 2000's software. The kit could easily be used to "upgrade" a worn-out game from the early 1980's, but it did not include the features that were starting to drive the market in 1986 - namely ramps, speech, and displays capable of showing text as well as player scores - thus not many Gamatron kits were sold and few examples exist today.

Reportedly, this kit was used to modify existing Stern games as well as Bally games. However, the manufacturer flyer shown here states only, "Fits most standard size 4 player Bally Manufacturing Corporation pinballs".

———————

The kit was advertised as plug and play, it took me several evenings to follow instructions in the Gamatron manual to convert a globetrotters wiring harness to Gamatron. I have yet to get the vsu100 speech board from flight 2000 to wire in to Gamatron to work successfully. I cannot find sufficient information to wire up the vsu100.

As far as I know, there is a collector in Texas DFW area that owns the only known white wood
50E6E578-7A7A-4F16-8820-3B0BE3359E33 (resized).jpeg50E6E578-7A7A-4F16-8820-3B0BE3359E33 (resized).jpeg51413871-7D72-4997-94C4-A883B764A1EC (resized).png51413871-7D72-4997-94C4-A883B764A1EC (resized).png

10 months later
#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I joined the club yesterday. I was searching nationally and one was just an hour away. Special thanks to a local Pinsider (I’ll let him decide if he wishes to be named). This game was at the TPF in 2019 and previously featured in a video by Todd Tuckey. I believe it has made several owners happy in it’s life as a Gamatron.
Woot! I look forward to sharing it at future shows so more people can enjoy it.

[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s great! I’m the one who bought it from tnt originally, that’s a very nice example!

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Awesome. I hope to see you at Houston or Dallas this year. I’d love to hear more about your scratch build.

definitely! I'll be at both shows, lets connect at the houston show!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Anyone know of a Gamatron kit available? CPR working on this title?

Best thing is to post a wanted ad here on pinside and on facebook groups. CPR will most likely never reproduce this title, most Gamatrons have good playfields because they were never installed, or were not played very much. Also, no-one knows how many games actually exist; I would guess less than 100.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

How much does one of these conversions go for these days? I would like to put one next to my F2K. I imagine they are fairly hard to come by, but I have seem a couple come up.

I bought one for 2k from a retailer to trade... Mine that I have now is modified with a custom cab, decals , cc playfield and an overlay sound system.

It would take a serious event to pull it out of my lineup

#21 4 years ago

So 2K retail means about 1500 in private sale. I'd love to find one eventually.

Not necessarily, I hope you find one ! Let us know what transpires!!

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

2k for the whole machine or just the conversion (pf / bg)?

The whole machine, but that was 2 years ago... I’d really live to know how many of these exist as full machines and as kits

1 year later
#26 3 years ago

Great work! Good looking machine too!!

1 year later
#34 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Gamatron was the big hit at our tournament yesterday, everyone loved it. Special thanks to Chosen_S for the cabinet artwork!

Gorgeous machine!!

#35 1 year ago

Does anyone have a Hi-Rez scan or photo of the back glass?

5 months later
#39 1 year ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

I joined the club today! Anyone have info on the operator menus? How to reset HS etc?
[quoted image]

Perfect game to put next to Tna

2 months later
#42 1 year ago

I’m looking for a few gamatron related items

Looking for an original nice condition backglass plexi

Looking for an original Sonic gamatron backglass

Looking for a high quality photo or scan of the Sonic gamatron backglass

Any help please?

4 weeks later
#43 1 year ago

Update, I found a backplexi! I will treasure and protect it always!!!

I also found another playfield, and plastics!
Thanks to user ChrisM , we have been discussing this since 2016!

I will scan and redraw the plastics to make sure they will be preserved .

Blast the giant robot!!

Ps.. still looking for a high resolution photograph or picture of the segasa backglass, please help!

2 weeks later
#44 1 year ago

Here’s photos of the amazing TPF finds

B2416DAC-03A2-4FCD-AF7D-013C451C79A0 (resized).jpegB2416DAC-03A2-4FCD-AF7D-013C451C79A0 (resized).jpegD2719223-C8C4-46DF-91C8-0E84BAAD533C (resized).jpegD2719223-C8C4-46DF-91C8-0E84BAAD533C (resized).jpegE616D443-F199-42B1-9EFD-04BD498A03A7 (resized).jpegE616D443-F199-42B1-9EFD-04BD498A03A7 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#52 1 year ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Yes, I am running an Alltek mpu using the flight2k dip switch designation with a sb-300.
Machine uses 6 digit displays. The 7th digit was a dummy zero.
I have alligator clips on sb-300 now until my connector is delivered.
This was built from a silverball mania cab.
-Mike

Nice,

Why didn’t you go ahead and do 7 digits?

By the way, I’m re-drawing the backglass to reproduce with the correct colors. and I can produce cabinet decals , pm me if interested

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Ok, I read those instructions for 6 digit displays and it seems fairly straightforward, moving pins around and adding one... thank you.
Sound wiring question: looking over the SB-300 schematics... what all wires do I need to connect here @ bottom of the PCB?
@J2: Just these two? [pin 6] 11.9VDC and [pin 3] GND ?
J3: pin 8 [speaker -] and pin 9 [speaker +]
and [pin 1] and [pin 3] goes to the volume pot. ? @ 25K ohm, 5 watt?
Could someone check there are only actually six wires total at the bottom of their SB-300 PCB connectors for J2+J3? I assume if I check Nine Ball the connectors @ J2 and J3 would be the same as Gamatron?
I'm also assuming Gamatron has no knocker because it says to disconnect it in the kit instructions?
[quoted image]

If you wanted, since you’re running f2k, add speech back in, and possibly the knocker

#55 1 year ago

I’m sorry, I should’ve clarified. The Gamatron back glass has a false zero. My desire is to remove that false Zero and to install seven digit displays.

This makes the game look more complete, in my opinion, of course. Some guys may really love having the whole zero to tell the story of gamatron

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

And some guys just have a full set of working 6 digit displays and want to use what they already have in hand.

True true, those led displays looked brand new

#59 12 months ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Need some Gamatron expert advice. Mike? I have some connectors from the playfield and I don’t know what to do with them.
The connector in the last two
Pics. No idea where it goes? Do I leave it disconnected?
Next, the cabinet connector in first picture. Do I just combine all the wires from both connectors to make one connector? What do the three wires farthest to the right do? (I’m using a lost world cabinet harness.). I am confused on what steps in the conversion instructions I follow and what ones I ignore since I’m not using the Gamatron pcb from the kit.
So far, all I have done to modify the harness is the instructions under “For games with 6 digit displays.”
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry I can’t go look right now, but there are unused connectors on the playfield because they wired it for bally and stern

#63 12 months ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I will be working on this next.
Vsu-100 in Gamatron.
-Mike
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gamatron-vsu-100

I bought one of those vsu boards

I’d like to tackle that some time

1 week later
#66 11 months ago

Heck yeah!!!

#69 11 months ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I discovered that "classic Bally" potentiometers are NOT the same as the ones that Stern used in their classic games.
If your classic Stern [or Gamatron running a SB-300] is missing it's pot. to adjust the sounds...
buy one of these. https://www.parts-express.com/25K-Ohm-Potentiometer-023-540?quantity=1
I bought a couple and including shipping, it was under $10.
I installed this 25K ohm POT and I can confirm that it works great for the Stern SB-300 sound board.
I just made my own sound cables using some old PC ribbon cables with the last two pins bent out and now the Flight2K sounds on my Gamatron are working!

Great job!

1 month later
#71 10 months ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I ran into some issues with the game booting consistently. Fairly odd behavior...
When powered on for the 2nd,3rd,4th time ect. after putting in the desired "option" settings and then also after sitting cold overnight, the game would not boot the next day until I removed the batteries.
If I removed them and booted the game and set the "option" settings up again, the game would then consistently boot 10,15,20 times that day BUT after it sat overnight, it would not NEVER boot again the next day.
But, once I removed the batteries, all is well and the game has booted over 50 times with no issues now. Only annoying issues with this is adding credits but it holds 40 credits so, I'm just leaving batteries out.
I tried a different known good MPU, power supply, driver board, transformer, and different holders, different batteries (even a coin one) and am convinced that there is no solution to this odd problem. And before someone asks , yes I did use a diode in the battery holder.
I even had the same thing happen when on the test banch using an ATX power supply! So that eliminated every cause but for multiple tested MPUs... oh well.
Maybe NVRAM would "resolve" this but, I don't really care enough to use NVRAM and I fear that it would exhibit the same behavior if I ordered and installed it.
Just posting here to let other potential owners know of this odd issue. Seems to be MPU/settings/Flight 2K code related. I found some other chatter about it in the F2K owners thread so I am just assuming that I am seeing the same symptoms here, since Gamatron uses the same code.

edit: IF…
You’re using the psm board, so you need to mod the stern or Bally mpu. The Pinstar board is handling rom and ram , you’re probably having ram conflicting issues, this plagued me for a while

I’m using the stern mpu200

Here’s what my boards look like

Removing, rams and cutting a trace on u16 or remove u16. and setting mpu jumpers correctly

The blue wire to the ide port is not necessary unless you want to eliminate the single jumper from the psm to the upper pin on the mpu
IMG_3729 (resized).jpegIMG_3729 (resized).jpegIMG_4426 (resized).jpegIMG_4426 (resized).jpegIMG_6505 (resized).jpegIMG_6505 (resized).jpegIMG_6570 (resized).jpegIMG_6570 (resized).jpeg

#74 10 months ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

But I'm not using a PSM board, I don't have one. I am using a Stern MPU with F2K roms and a stock Stern sb-300 sound board. I took a great deal of time and care documenting my process on paper so that someone else could also do this if all they had was a Gamatron playfield.

Ah, that’s right, sorry

How about installing a reset generator? Maybe it would help force a trip on the circuit

5 months later
#82 5 months ago

Wanted to ask about the ribbon cable. I've seen many complaints about it and doing things to replace it with IDE. Wouldn't the commonly available Ms. Pacman 40 pin cable be a suitable replacement? Assuming it is, that will be my plan of attack for that particular issue.
https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=MPRIBBON

Congrats, I saw that machine on ebay for maybe 1 minute! LOL

that mikes arcade mspac cable may work, but youll still have issues once in a while because of its not great tech. the combination of the 40 pin sockets, 40 pin connector and ribbon cable and a machine getting warm and vibrating from use will cause intermittent problems, hard wiring a regular IDE connector to each board has fixed many issues for some of our gamatron machines

#85 4 months ago

This is a mixture of dirt and mouse pee. Lost more ink removing tape and pee. Gotta clean and work with what ya got on this game. Parts aren't abundant. I think I'll keep it in the Mata Hari cabinet too. The back story is, she's the evil woman that's controlling the robot. Boom, nailed it![quoted image]

Awesome, great collaboration

Ugh, I wish that guy that is working on the backglass would finish his job

#89 4 months ago

While tearing down the mouse pee playfield, I broke one arm off one of the spinners. Can that be fixed with some rigid wire? These spinner brackets are super rigid. Never had issue getting a spinner remover from a brake before.
Ugh. Broke a part and cut myself. Great start.

Honestly, I wouldnt attempt a repair, it will just break again. don't remove the other one either, remove the whole bracket it resides in... buy a classic stern spinner and replace it, youll have to bend it a little to get it just right.

Spinners have been missing from every gamatron I have come across

bummer this happened

#92 4 months ago

Also, before I break it, does the pop cap just snap on and off? No screws and I don't want to break something else.

Yes, just wiggle it out

#93 4 months ago

I have one of these in my parts stash. I can paint it black and likely save the decal from the original spinner. I really hate causing damage to an original part. I wanted the bracket separated to tumble all the metal.
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=55-10778-004

Nice, that may work well.

I hate messing up original stuff too, especially breaking plastics on accident

1 week later
#98 4 months ago

Anyone know how I can safely separate the pop cap from the body? Don't wanna break something else. It seems there are plastic barbs that snap in and make it hard to back out.

Maybe you can pinch the red knobs with pliers and help push the knob through the hole??

I seem to remember that the body is a standard pop, bumper body, but it’s been many years since I have taken mine off

#110 4 months ago

Guys I’m working on a backglass, I have files ready for the 6 digit, and very close to finishing for 7 digit, I’ll be going to print very soon. Holidays and family have been a factor, I’ll keep yall posted

1 month later
#129 71 days ago
Quoted from robm:

Had my weebly SB300 arrive for gamatron. Have the wiring harness for the ribbon cable plugs.
Wondering what wires need to go where for the lower J2 and J3 connectors?
I assume the 2 speaker wires go somewhere, and assume power somewhere else? I saw some pics a page or so back, but i don't have the same plugs. Would appreciate if someone could give me guidance on wires required. EG: blue/black from speaker to J3 pin 2 etc
Thanks heaps[quoted image][quoted image]

Spitballing this…. Check the flight 2000 manual

#131 68 days ago
Quoted from robm:

Yep - just did that and i have sound!!!!

Yeaha!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chosen_S.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gamatron-club-blast-the-giant-robot?tu=Chosen_S and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.