(Topic ID: 252204)

Galaxy Stern zero AC voltage on TP4 (first pinball machine)-Update: working!

By 1stpingalaxy

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191003_182756 (resized).jpg
20191001_120320 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20191005_195635 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191005_232514 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190927_234704 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190927_233646 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190927_211523 (resized).jpg
3dprinted-part-installed (resized).jpg
3dprintedpart (resized).jpg
cleaned_up_battery (resized).jpg
IMG_1188 (resized).JPG
IMG_20190926_183030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190926_183034 (resized).jpg
trasnformer-7VAC-output (resized).jpg
Galaxy_Power_Module.jpg
transformer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from 1stpingalaxy:

Hi! this is my first post, and my first pinball machine!
I bought it at an auction and was unable to look inside as they did not have a key -- I ended up paying $800 for it. I sort of lucked out as when I drilled the coin door lock there was $210 in quarters inside! (no silver unfortunately) The latest dated quarter was 1985, and the earliest was 1965.
Only one mouse nest, and other than a leaking battery it was in pretty good shape -- all the fuses tested good. someone had physically cut off the ground on the plug so I wired a new one in. Then I fixed the insulation that had been chewed off some wires by the mice. Then fired her up.
The feature lamps all work, as do the solenoids, and half of the 7 segment pinscore displays work so far. The audio also works. The machine is basically playable now.
Here is my problem, the general illumination (GI) does not work. I tested the rectifier test points and they all tested great except for TP4 which has zero AC voltage on it. The other DC test points are all within spec. Based on the info I can find the GI is powered by the 7.3VAC bus, and I'm at a loss what to do now to trace the issue any further. Does this mean my transformer is bad? I would think not since its clearly providing the proper AC voltages to the BRs for the other buses.
I have already pulled the J1 and J3 plugs and the TP4 remains at zero voltage, so I think that means there isn't a short (but could be mistaken). What should my next steps be?
Thanks![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It’s in nice condition, it looks! The leaky battery might have severed a trace? It’s at the bottom so it’s unlikely, that’s just my guess

It’s cool how nice and clean everything in the back is since it’s never been disturbed.

2 weeks later
#21 4 years ago
Quoted from 1stpingalaxy:

@jahkub no worries! did you win the harlem globetrotters, dolly parton, and mata hari pins? I think I know who won the Playboy one.
And some more pics of the entire thing together. It plays FANTASTIC and looks GREAT. Already ran through probably 250 credits worth of games the last week or so.[quoted image][quoted image]

If you haven’t yet, I’d recommend replacing the ball. It’s probably never been replaced since it was unboxed! A pack of pinballs is cheap and a new ball will keep the playfield looking beautiful!
Old pinballs get divots and scratches and effectively act like Sandpaper on the playfield being slapped around at high speed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 169.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/galaxy-stern-zero-ac-voltage-on-tp4-first-pinball-machine?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.