Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scan0003.pdf (PDF preview)
scan0002.pdf (PDF preview)

#1 5 years ago

Hi all , Fixing a Galaxy pin for someone , game not here unfortunately
Weird issue is , Game works fine but after game has been on for 15minutes or so , Its start adding 10 points and the bonus raises .

After going into switch test when it started to self score , it was switch 18, 2x roll over buttons, they both tested fine ,
but I checked switch 26 , which is on the same line as 18. Blue Star stand up target ,
It registers as switch 18 at first but after holding it closed it then changes to 26 which is the correct no for that switch .

I cut the cap on that switch and no change, I also checked all other switches, they all seem good.

My feelings are its either cracked connectors on switch inputs on Mpu . or Even a bad diode on switch 26 .
I haven't looked at the Mpu and Sdu connectors yet btw , Although there appears to be some minor battery corrosion,
Someone has replaced the battery with a memory cap ,
I could try a Altek in the game to make sure that its caused by the Mpu or not
Any help would be great , it just seen strange that this only happens after the game warms up
Cheers
Ralph

scan0002.pdfscan0002.pdfscan0003.pdfscan0003.pdf
#2 5 years ago

Can you post a clear picture of the MPU board showing all the battery corrosion?
When the game starts scoring 10 points, with the machine on, pull connector J2 (playfield switch harness) off the MPU board live. Does the point scoring stop?
Do the same with connector J3 (cabinet switch harness) at the MPU board.

Do those two switch 18 star rollover buttons have capacitors on them?

#3 5 years ago

I’d definitely put in the Altek for a while, and see if the issue remains.

Switch issues can be like chasing your tail sometimes ... so before you start, knock the MPU off the “possible” list ...

rd

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Do those two switch 18 star rollover buttons have capacitors on them?

Pretty sure one had the cap fitted ,

Quoted from Quench:

When the game starts scoring 10 points, with the machine on, pull connector J2 (playfield switch harness) off the MPU board live. Does the point scoring stop?
Do the same with connector J3 (cabinet switch harness) at the MPU board.

Think I did this, and the scoring stopped. Pulled J2 live and the scoring stopped as expected .

Quoted from Quench:

Can you post a clear picture of the MPU board showing all the battery corrosion?

Not at the moment as the game is not here ,

Quoted from rotordave:

I’d definitely put in the Altek for a while,

Yes will try this for sure , At least I can rule out the mpu if nothing changes .
I have had the 5101 chips cause some really strange problems before , so I will def take a good look at those sockets for corrosion and continuity between the socket pins and circuit board tracks .
Cheers Guys

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

Pulled J2 live and the scoring stopped as expected .

If disconnecting the J2 playfield switch harness stops the scoring then the problem is on the playfield, not the MPU board.

If one or both of the switch 18 star rollover buttons has a capacitor then clip a leg for test.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If disconnecting the J2 playfield switch harness stops the scoring then the problem is on the playfield, not the MPU board.
If one or both of the switch 18 star rollover buttons has a capacitor then clip a leg for test.

Will check this when I get back to the game
cheers

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ipswich, MA
$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/galaxy-self-scoring-issue- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.