(Topic ID: 306124)

Galaxy 2021 - New code for Stern Galaxy (1980)

By DickHamill

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 232 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 78 days ago by WesleyB
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bomBombed (resized).PNG
Rev4 (resized).png
20230927_150153 (resized).jpg
specs (resized).jpg
metadata (resized).PNG
WAVTriggerBeauty (resized).jpeg
1C75C4DF-66B4-485A-9F51-773134B24E29 (resized).jpeg
C2253CBF-6AEA-4E42-8E1F-CEC85DE87308 (resized).jpeg
ABB06A45-8D2E-4A45-8A2B-C78F3575482D (resized).jpeg
B0C8C87F-6ADA-4147-A37C-F896F77EF7EE (resized).jpeg
05DC4E17-94D2-46B4-B4E3-57A23D83E14F (resized).jpeg
46E5025A-35E7-43BB-A87C-309A907163E5 (resized).jpeg
instantaneous closure (resized).jpg
20221005_110958 (resized).jpg
AudioAdapter (resized).jpeg
Audio Adapter.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtrimberger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#152 1 year ago

Just picked up a Galaxy last night but hoping to add the new code, I have a Stars but haven't had a chance to get around to making a arduino board yet.

Has anybody made a video or a series of pictures of their Revision 3 build? I do much better with the addition of pics.

thanks in advance

7 months later
#161 9 months ago

So I have the mod built thanks to lots of help from Dick. I've worked through some issues with passthrough to the old soundboard and speakers (not quite accurate enough soldering) and a issue with the switch. I'm able to play the new code with all features, at least visually it appears to be working. My problem is sound through the wav trigger. I can't get any new code sounds to play out of external speakers. I am able to get the 1st track to play to external speakers with the test button. My connections through serial 1 seem good, I've checked continuity. I bought the trigger in may and the robertson site says all triggers after February are 1.34 for firmware. I'm planning on checking that tonight (my prior connector I bought for firmware updates doesn't seem compatible) and hoping to test with the remote app for the trigger using that connector as well. I followed the SD card instructions as much as possible, the exact cards on Robertson are a bit tough to find, mine is not the UHS card which seems to be the biggest thing to avoid.

Basically, does anyone with Wav trigger experience have any ideas of where to look next?

I'm running a Rev 4 that I built btw. I know I could have gone the easier route and used the boards made by RoyGBev but I wouldn't have learned anything that way now would I? Admittedly being so close to the finish without being able to finish is getting old though (insert crude jokes here).

#162 9 months ago

So I've confirmed the firmware is 1.34
I'm also able to use the robertsonic config app and remote control tab to confirm there are 14 voices and 272 tracks on the micro sd card. That section of the app however doesn't let you test through the serial connection. A different app (I think) is needed for that called the serial control utility which I can't seem to download anywhere.

Can any of you confirm that when a sound connected switch is triggered that the LED on the wav trigger lights? currently I get a blinking LED. When I hit the test button I get the first track out through headphones and the LED briefly stays on. I assume this means data is being "utilized". If I trigger switches on the new code the LED does not stay lit, it simply continues to blink which implies to me that no data is being transferred.

#165 9 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

polishedball found a bug in the code's default serial port. I think it's fixed now:
https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/SolarSystem23
Don't forget to update the RPU_OS_HARDWARE_REV in RPU_config.h when you download new (this game still defaults to Rev 3)

This fixed it. The code now works for Rev 4. Will post a vid when I get a chance but so far it is amazing!!!

2 weeks later
#167 8 months ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

The caps and bodies are changed out.

You have a link to those bodies? I think that looks sharp but the clear yellow bodies I found were too small.

#168 8 months ago

Has anybody tried to add more songs to the code? I thought it would be fun to tinker with and started looking at songs from 1980 to add. What a weird year for music though as you listen through the top 100 for that year. A mix of disco and love ballads with the occasional good rock song mixed in. Dick got most of the good ones but theres a couple I'd consider adding.

3 weeks later
#171 8 months ago

So a couple things, some I need a better understanding of:

I realized that the Billboard top 100 for 1980 is substantially different than the best of 1980 for Rock songs. Theres a spotify list Best of Rock: 1980 which is very good, some songs I had no idea had their origin in 1980.

Also realized that a few songs I had not yet heard yet because I hadn't entered side quests or wizard modes.

Dick, why is there a limit on 15 songs? I'm sure its a code or wav issue but just curious

The way I interpret your post above is that when the code needs a song instead of searching for a specific wav file it searches for the wav file song with the length noted in each section (unstructured... etc.)

Also I'm not understanding where you got the song lengths from. For example if I play song 776 on a music player I get 329s instead of 320. That has me confused on how I'll add my own songs.

Otherwise I think I have everything sorted to add songs

4 weeks later
#185 7 months ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I notice in the build video he loads the BSOS files into a folder and then puts the game files in and overwrites any similar ones, but in the instructions it doesn't say to install the BSOS files at all. Is this no longer needed with the most updated game files? Can't wait to get this in and install it. What an awesome project. Thanks so much for sharing and making it public. Is there a donations link to say thanks to authors of the code?

Let me know if you need any help Tomass . I have a revised "hits of 1980" Soundtrack 1 (there's a music track and a trippy space music track) I can probably share with you.

1 week later
#199 6 months ago
Quoted from cfh:

Yea 70s soft rock does not apply here at all. I'm looking for more edgy stuff without any vocals, with a "space"ish theme... Can't have vocals as that is confusing to the player, listening to vocals over played by game speech. Again, just a bad idea. Also who ever put those songs in there did not normalize the volumes. the volume levels should all be the same for all the songs. otherwise some songs play louder, some softer.
On the song lengths...
does the code need to be re-compiled to reflect my changes to the songs?
if that's the case, that's bad. What should be done is a text file in the song WAV directory on the microSD card with that information. that way songs can be changed easily without re-compiling.
can you make that change please??? also please make the left kickout go quicker. take too bloody long to get the ball back in play! ha go galaxy, go!!

Before you go through all that did you try sound track 2? That soundtrack has the edgy space theme you want. I'd have to check but I think you have room to put in about 19 more songs in the general music and 19 in the mission section.

Sound track 1 is strictly hits from the year 1980. i never got the impression that the music was supposed to match the gameplay for that soundtrack. For me it's meant to take you back to the music you'd likely hear being bumped at the arcade in 1980 with your girl that looks like Farah Fawcett at your side.

#201 6 months ago

Seems like you just REALLY don't like the Eagles, tell us how Don Henley hurt you

1 month later
#219 5 months ago

I don't see it as a BSOS mod

https://pinballindex.com/index.php/BSOS_Machines

and I don't see it on the general code remake forum but ask there just in case

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revisiting-the-classics-new-code-megathread

#220 5 months ago

Dick or anyone else. Is there a setting or code that can be made to adjust how much the music volume diminishes when the voice instructions are playing? It really turns the music down to give instructions and I want to keep the music volume up quite a bit so I can keep rockin'

thanks
Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtrimberger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/galaxy-2021-new-code-for-stern-galaxy-1980?tu=dtrimberger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.