(Topic ID: 306124)

Galaxy 2021 - New code for Stern Galaxy (1980)

By DickHamill

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 232 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 days ago by WesleyB
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bomBombed (resized).PNG
Rev4 (resized).png
20230927_150153 (resized).jpg
specs (resized).jpg
metadata (resized).PNG
WAVTriggerBeauty (resized).jpeg
1C75C4DF-66B4-485A-9F51-773134B24E29 (resized).jpeg
C2253CBF-6AEA-4E42-8E1F-CEC85DE87308 (resized).jpeg
ABB06A45-8D2E-4A45-8A2B-C78F3575482D (resized).jpeg
B0C8C87F-6ADA-4147-A37C-F896F77EF7EE (resized).jpeg
05DC4E17-94D2-46B4-B4E3-57A23D83E14F (resized).jpeg
46E5025A-35E7-43BB-A87C-309A907163E5 (resized).jpeg
instantaneous closure (resized).jpg
20221005_110958 (resized).jpg
AudioAdapter (resized).jpeg
Audio Adapter.pdf (PDF preview)

There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 2 years ago

Hi everyone, I just updated to the newest galaxy code, I noticed there was a change 11 days ago. Can anyone tell me did the mission carry over to next ball change get added. I thought before when I failed a mission and drained a ball I had to start over, now it seems it remembers where I was and lets me continue on my next ball the mission that was started. Thanks for any thoughts on what I may have changed if it was not a code change.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from polishedball:

Can anyone tell me did the mission carry over to next ball change get added. I thought before when I failed a mission and drained a ball I had to start over, now it seems it remembers where I was

Yes - I had asked Dick about adding mission holdover a while back and he was able to figure out how to code it. Personally I found the game was just too hard without it, but there is a game adjustment which allows you to turn the mission carry over off or on. After 3 months, I was finally able to reach Sun Mode for the first time, lol.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Yes - I had asked Dick about adding mission holdover a while back and he was able to figure out how to code it. Personally I found the game was just too hard without it, but there is a game adjustment which allows you to turn the mission carry over off or on. After 3 months, I was finally able to reach Sun Mode for the first time, lol.

Thanks I do find the carryover to make it much more fun!

1 month later
#54 1 year ago

I bought the kit, but i think its running older version as i have no mission carryover. Can someone explain how to update to the newest game code. Thankyou in advance.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from jackhearts:

I bought the kit, but i think its running older version as i have no mission carryover. Can someone explain how to update to the newest game code. Thankyou in advance.

You need to setup Arduino environment, download the BallySternOS and the new source code, complile it and upload it to the device.

#56 1 year ago

If you every get near Grand Rapids, I can do it for you in about 30 seconds (flash the new code)

If you wav_trigger is on old code the new code for it gives better audio mixes

#57 1 year ago

Thankyou. I will have my son look at this as i am computer illiterate. Game plays grat now but mission carryover would be nice.
Thanks again for the response.

#58 1 year ago

Really odd because i just bought this kit last week. Does anyone know what nuber mission carryover would be on settings?

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from jackhearts:

Really odd because i just bought this kit last week. Does anyone know what nuber mission carryover would be on settings?

Not surprising to me as unless someone actively checks the code build you would not know there was new code. Not sure if it is in the settings or all new code (hopefully someone else can chime in).

#60 1 year ago

This re-write suffers from poor documentation! Here's a list of coin door tests/audits/settings
If you reprogram your Galaxy to latest, make sure you get the latest audio files as well!
Link for audio files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FlPcCNtWVUEnNESh3lf867T1IfVJk6ec/view?usp=sharing
Adjustment prompts: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DaYjVuPgqq50uSR9Gg-7i6G6g4yI3FwP/view?usp=sharing
(the coin door settings are all announced over the Wav Trigger, so you shouldn't have to guess what each one is)

Galaxy 2021 Test/Audit/Parameters
00:01 - Lamps
XX:XX - Displays
00:03 - Solenoids
00:04 - Switches
00:05 - Sound
01 - Award Score Level 1
02 - Award Score Level 2
03 - Award Score Level 3
04 - High Score to Date
05 - Current Credits
06 - Total plays (Audit)
07 - Total replays (Audit)
08 - Total times high score beaten (Audit)
09 - Chute #2 coins (Audit)
10 - Chute #1 coins (Audit)
11 - Chute #3 coins (Audit)
12 - Free play off/on (0, 1)
13 - Ball Save Num Seconds (0, 6, 11, 16, 21)
14 - Sound Selector
15 - Music Volume
16 - Sound FX Volume
17 - Callouts Volume
18 - Tournament Scoring
19 - Tilt Warning (0, 1, 2)
20 - Award Score Override (0 - 7)
21 - Balls per game Override (3, 5)
22 - Scrolling Scores (0-no, 1-yes)
23 - Extra Ball Award (0 - 100,000) [only used for Tournament Scoring]
24 - Special Award (0 - 100,000) [only used for Tournament Scoring]
25 - Dim Level (2=50%, 3=33%)
26 - Rank Achieved to light Extra Ball
27 - Rank Achieved to light Special
28 - Rank Achieved to qualify Sun Mission
29 - Side Quest Start (0 - saucer, 1 - top pop & saucer, 2 - right "A" and saucer, 3 - any of the three)
30 - Galaxy kicker ball save (seconds)
31 - Save Mission Progress

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from jackhearts:

Please provide feedback to whomever you bought the kit from!
I'm surprised -- I thought all the kit makers downloaded right before shipping, so if it's a problem with my code I'd like to know...

#62 1 year ago

MAN kinda sad I sold my Galaxy. I would love to try this out! Thank you for spending the time to write this.

#63 1 year ago

Got it from roygbev. Its must be old code because i don't have settings 29,30 and 31.
Well it will be a nice little suprise when i figure out how to update.
It is awesome though, even in its current state.

#64 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

MAN kinda sad I sold my Galaxy. I would love to try this out! Thank you for spending the time to write this.

Is amazing, two of us local have it in our collection and I know 3 people looking for one since they played it. Also have a meteor and stars running your(Hamill) code at local friends. Thank you!

#65 1 year ago

I have settings 29, 30, and 31, but no corresponding audio callout. How do I know which version I'm on? I bought mine from RoyGBev also. Love it, but I also figured my code was current. I'd love to update it!

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I have settings 29, 30, and 31, but no corresponding audio callout. How do I know which version I'm on? I bought mine from RoyGBev also. Love it, but I also figured my code was current. I'd love to update it!

I believe when you turn the game on that's all displayed in the score displays briefly before attract mode lights come on.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I believe when you turn the game on that's all displayed in the score displays briefly before attract mode lights come on.

Mine says 2021 in window 1, 11 in window 2, 02 in window 3, and 01 in window 4 on boot.

#68 1 year ago

Mine says 2021 in window 1, 11 in window 2, 02 in window 3, and 01 in window 4 on boot.

That's version 11, which is the latest code.
If you're not getting voice announcements of the last few settings, you should try updating the wav files on your Wav Trigger board (there's an SD card plugged in). The files are all here and they should all go on the card in the top-level folder:
Link for audio files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FlPcCNtWVUEnNESh3lf867T1IfVJk6ec/view?usp=sharing
Adjustment prompts: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DaYjVuPgqq50uSR9Gg-7i6G6g4yI3FwP/view?usp=sharing

#69 1 year ago

You should add files for numbers if they're not already there and have the wav trigger call out 'version 123' at bootup.

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

That's version 11, which is the latest code.
If you're not getting voice announcements of the last few settings, you should try updating the wav files on your Wav Trigger board (there's an SD card plugged in). The files are all here and they should all go on the card in the top-level folder:

Thank you very much! I'm terrible at this new code, maybe I need to play around with some of the settings.

Terrible or not, I absolutely LOVE it, and I now love this game... Truly!

#71 1 year ago

Thank you very much! I'm terrible at this new code, maybe I need to play around with some of the settings.
Terrible or not, I absolutely LOVE it, and I now love this game... Truly!

Weird, I replaced all the audio files with the ones in that folder (everything seemed to be the same, so I just overwrote on the assumption that maybe some files I had were corrupt or something) and still don't have any verbal callout for settings 29-31. At any rate, I did adjust the SFX volume way down (the center drain is absurdly loud IMO) so I'm happy I got in the settings a bit.

#72 1 year ago

Roygbev came through with an excellent explanation of how to load the board. Love the carryover of mission.
Fantastic software, thankyou so much for creating this work of art.

1 week later
#73 1 year ago

Can anyone provide step by step instructions on how to update the SD card to the latest code. Such a big big help. Thank you!

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from FiveTrick:

Can anyone provide step by step instructions on how to update the SD card to the latest code. Such a big big help. Thank you!

Is your firmware of the arduino via the environment already updated ? if so for sound files you just copy them to the card. The two are not connected.

#75 1 year ago

****Sold out. Thanks guys. I sent my notes to one of the board suppliers so hopefully you can have a one stop shop for everything you need in the future.

Audio adapters are tested and done. Probably wont be making a ton of these but put a few extra together when building one for myself. These allow you to use the stock speaker for both the new code and original code without having to move around wiring or switching anything. Send me a PM if interested.
IMG_0654 (resized).JPEGIMG_0654 (resized).JPEGIMG_0663 (resized).JPEGIMG_0663 (resized).JPEG

Added 18 months ago:

see post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/galaxy-2021-new-code-for-stern-galaxy-1980/page/3#post-7155428

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from FiveTrick:

To update the code/sounds, there are two different things to be done:
1) re-flash the Arduino
2) copy new files to the SD card

Number 2 above is easy. Jut pop out the microSD from the WAV Trigger (red board), and plug it into a computer with an SD card adapter. The files all live in the top folder of the card. For Galaxy, you'll grab all the wav files from the two zips (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FlPcCNtWVUEnNESh3lf867T1IfVJk6ec/view?usp=sharing and https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DaYjVuPgqq50uSR9Gg-7i6G6g4yI3FwP/view?usp=sharing).

Re-flashing the Arduino requires having the Arduino IDE on your machine and involves several steps. troxel did a great video of the whole thing:

3 months later
#78 1 year ago

I'm having an issue getting to the coin door 30 and 31 options... as soon as I get to 30 it does the voice call out but seems the game resets. Really would like to turn on 31. Any ideas?

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from ninjedi:

I'm having an issue getting to the coin door 30 and 31 options... as soon as I get to 30 it does the voice call out but seems the game resets. Really would like to turn on 31. Any ideas?

What's the version you have when you first boot the machine (what numbers show up in the player score displays)?

#80 1 year ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

What's the version you have when you first boot the machine (what numbers show up in the player score displays)?

2021 08 03 00

I'll update it, as I also noticed the count down hang.

#81 1 year ago

Random and probably stupid question but am I alone in thinking the countdown sound seems obscenely loud compared to all other SFX? I feel like I have to keep my SFX volume too low just to not be bombarded by the end of each ball.

I'm still LOVING this code. Literal game changer, in all the right ways!

#82 1 year ago

I agree, the bonus countdown sound is too loud. Also, with the Meteor 2021 code, the slingshot bumpers noise is loud and annoying. Beyond that, I love these things!!!

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from MVCO:

I agree, the bonus countdown sound is too loud. Also, with the Meteor 2021 code, the slingshot bumpers noise is loud and annoying. Beyond that, I love these things!!!

I agree with both of those sentiments to an extent. (especially the bonus countdown on Galaxy--it gets to me in videos)
I don't currently own either of these, so I encourage people to mess around with the WAV files on the SD card and find a solution.
If anyone comes up with a good way to host sound packages for these games (where people can contribute alternatives), that would be a welcome addition to the project.

#84 1 year ago
Quoted from ninjedi:

2021 08 03 00
I'll update it, as I also noticed the count down hang.

Let me know how it goes.

#85 1 year ago

https://mp3cut.net/change-volume

I'm going to give this a try. Thinking -25% or so should do it.

I don't intend to change any other sounds, I really do think Galaxy is just fantastic the way it is. I really can't fully explain how appreciative I am that this code exists.

#86 1 year ago

https://mp3cut.net/change-volume
I'm going to give this a try. Thinking -25% or so should do it.
I don't intend to change any other sounds, I really do think Galaxy is just fantastic the way it is. I really can't fully explain how appreciative I am that this code exists.

Bleh, no dice. Completely killed those sounds during gameplay with the modified files. Back to the drawing board.

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Let me know how it goes.

newest code fixed my issue.

#88 1 year ago

Bleh, no dice. Completely killed those sounds during gameplay with the modified files. Back to the drawing board.

I use Audacity (free program) to create/modify clips. The output has to be a WAV file that is 44100 Hz, signed 16-bit PCM.
Anything else and the WAV trigger won't play it.

#89 1 year ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

I use Audacity (free program) to create/modify clips. The output has to be a WAV file that is 44100 Hz, signed 16-bit PCM.
Anything else and the WAV trigger won't play it.

Thanks for the info, that does help!

Also, just a side note but I think the sound package that you went with for Stars is incredible and I'm really looking forward to finishing my project so I can have my surrogate not-TNA-but-TNAlike game in the row (especially now that we all know the price on the new TNA run -- yikes). I almost feel like Galaxy could have gone with something similar but I do like all the 80s music, especially since it's a completely different "feel" than a typical Steve Kirk game like Meteor or Stars.

#90 1 year ago

I almost feel like Galaxy could have gone with something similar but I do like all the 80s music,

Try the alternate soundtrack - lots of spacey and electronic stuff, really feels right to me. Closer in spirit to the Stars and Meteor soundtracks.
(Dick and I compiled the electronic Galaxy tracks, so I guess it *should* feel right to me, lol.)

I’ve toyed with the idea of expanding that soundtrack as well, just too many other things demanding my attention…

#91 1 year ago

More praise for the Galaxy rules, I was away for a bit and hadn’t played it in several weeks. Played a few games last night and it was just such a pleasure. I feel like I’m in a very privileged little club of people who know about this and appreciate just how great a design Galaxy really is - it was just waiting for the rule set to unlock it!

#92 1 year ago

Try the alternate soundtrack - lots of spacey and electronic stuff, really feels right to me. Closer in spirit to the Stars and Meteor soundtracks.
(Dick and I compiled the electronic Galaxy tracks, so I guess it *should* feel right to me, lol.)
I’ve toyed with the idea of expanding that soundtrack as well, just too many other things demanding my attention…

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

More praise for the Galaxy rules, I was away for a bit and hadn’t played it in several weeks. Played a few games last night and it was just such a pleasure. I feel like I’m in a very privileged little club of people who know about this and appreciate just how great a design Galaxy really is - it was just waiting for the rule set to unlock it!

I agree. I can't begin to tell you just how boring I thought this was before the new code, music, and light show. I had absolutely no intention of keeping mine longer than it took me to clean it up, test it, and dump it. And now it's one of my most played games in the row. I'm blown away every time I play it over how much the face-lift improved everything. I never would have suspected galaxy of hiding so much potential, and here we are.

#93 1 year ago

I think my favorite sound from the "spacey" soundtrack is the gasp when the ball gets kicked to the shooter lane after a drain. It has a great spacial sound to it.

#94 1 year ago

I knew the playfield design was holding a lot of untapped potential, but when I loaned it to Dick I was *unprepared* for the degree to which he would turn the game on its ear.
Up next: Lightning!

#95 1 year ago

I knew the playfield design was holding a lot of untapped potential, but when I loaned it to Dick I was *unprepared* for the degree to which he would turn the game on its ear.
Up next: Lightning!

That was such a fun project! Thanks again sethbenjamin for bringing that up and letting me work on it!

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

That was such a fun project! Thanks again sethbenjamin for bringing that up and letting me work on it!

Still hoping and expecting to head up your way in October!
Should have that WH20 restoration finished up; I can deliver it to the owner and bring Lightning over to you on the same ride…

#97 1 year ago

Thanks for the info, that does help!
Also, just a side note but I think the sound package that you went with for Stars is incredible and I'm really looking forward to finishing my project so I can have my surrogate not-TNA-but-TNAlike game in the row (especially now that we all know the price on the new TNA run -- yikes). I almost feel like Galaxy could have gone with something similar but I do like all the 80s music, especially since it's a completely different "feel" than a typical Steve Kirk game like Meteor or Stars.

Still hoping and expecting to head up your way in October!
Should have that WH20 restoration finished up; I can deliver it to the owner and bring Lightning over to you on the same ride…

Awesome - see you then.

1 week later
#98 1 year ago

Thanks again to troxel for the quick shipment of his pre made kits. Installed today on my Galaxy and works perfectly! DickHamill When adjusting #14 sound & soundtrack. using the credit button was trying to adjust to 4 to try the second soundtrack. Player 1 shows 4 and player 2 shows 1 now, but hitting credit again does not cycle back. How do I go back? I have tried holding credit and double clicking it. When you see this let me know if there is anything I am missing. Thanks again for the awesome code. I already liked Galaxy as I like the simpler rules from that era but this just adds another layer to it when I want something more.

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedijoe317:

Thanks again to troxel for the quick shipment of his pre made kits. Installed today on my Galaxy and works perfectly! DickHamill When adjusting #14 sound & soundtrack. using the credit button was trying to adjust to 4 to try the second soundtrack. Player 1 shows 4 and player 2 shows 1 now, but hitting credit again does not cycle back. How do I go back? I have tried holding credit and double clicking it. When you see this let me know if there is anything I am missing. Thanks again for the awesome code. I already liked Galaxy as I like the simpler rules from that era but this just adds another layer to it when I want something more.

Sounds like I bug -- I'll look into it. I'm guessing that 14 is no longer the sound & soundtrack, but has been pushed out by coins per credit--that's the reason it would show 4 and 1. Which means the voice prompts are probably off as well.
Can you try to go to adjustment 17 (ignoring the voice prompts that tell you that 17 is "Callouts Volume") and see if that changes the soundtrack? That will help me understand the nature of the bug. Thx.

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Sounds like I bug -- I'll look into it. I'm guessing that 14 is no longer the sound & soundtrack, but has been pushed out by coins per credit--that's the reason it would show 4 and 1. Which means the voice prompts are probably off as well.
Can you try to go to adjustment 17 (ignoring the voice prompts that tell you that 17 is "Callouts Volume") and see if that changes the soundtrack? That will help me understand the nature of the bug. Thx.

17 does adjust call out volume. Is there a way to reset everything back to initial settings? Then I can see what happens

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 199.95
$ 3.00
Hardware
20eyes
Hardware
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/galaxy-2021-new-code-for-stern-galaxy-1980/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.