(Topic ID: 334148)

Galactic Tank Force Owners Club - Get your ice cream here!

By flynnibus

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,533 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Disruptor71
  • Topic is favorited by 80 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6997 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 1.42.46?PM (resized).png
IMG_8310 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240418_220545.jpg
Limewire (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20240417_211315 (resized).jpg
20240416_203138 (resized).jpg
20240412_080349 (resized).jpg
IMG_3759 (resized).jpeg
20240409_205052 (resized).jpg
20240409_121940 (resized).jpg
IMG_0086 (resized).jpeg
Chipping Below Tank Magnet (resized).jpg
20240319_102848 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,533 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 31.
#151 11 months ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Pinside owners it shows 18 people.

Well, don’t follow Pinside stats but there is a high probability of it being 19 by the end of this month!

#152 11 months ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Not a chance they sold 2,000. Pinside owners it shows 18 people. Pinside of course is not all buyers but this leads me to believe that they maybe sold a couple 100 or so at best.

Just had mine delivered today and I don’t think they’ve shipped a lot yet. I don’t add them to my collection on pinside until they arrive so not sure I’d use that to count this early.

#153 11 months ago

I ordered fluorescent orange, green and yellow protectors. Ended up installing orange on the slings and green on the bottom lane guides. IMG_3443 (resized).jpegIMG_3443 (resized).jpegIMG_3449 (resized).jpegIMG_3449 (resized).jpegIMG_3454 (resized).jpegIMG_3454 (resized).jpeg

#154 11 months ago

Upkick has added the GTF plastic protectors to their website. I do not benefit from any sales... just passing along that they are available.

https://www.upkickpinball.com/store/p219/Galactic_Tank_Force_Plastic_Protector_Set_-_American_Pinball_-_Fluorescents.html

#155 11 months ago

I was really (REALLY) nervous about this one with it getting brutalized on pinside, streams, and podcasts but I think you definitely need to play it for yourself. It’s a beautiful pin and a fun shooter so far. The sound is amazing out of the box, my kids couldn’t believe this one wasn’t attached to a subwoofer. Not seeing any issues with airballs etc. and the tank isn’t as brutal as was reported. Im not a great player and was having decent ball times and progress the first night. I forgot to level it or check the pitch last night but plays well as it’s sits I’ll check/adjust later.

#156 11 months ago

Fantastic time at GSPF with the games overall. One of them had right out-lane issue as the ball would frequently get wedged on the post. It was easily adjusted.
Anyone else have this happen?

63A2AA97-A6D8-4F56-A8FA-53329D068F14 (resized).jpeg63A2AA97-A6D8-4F56-A8FA-53329D068F14 (resized).jpeg

#157 11 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Fantastic time at GSPF with the games overall. One of them had right out-lane issue as the ball would frequently get wedged on the post. It was easily adjusted.
Anyone else have this happen?
[quoted image]

On my game, there is a quarter inch between the lane guide and metal apron. The apron slides on metal rails with slots on the apron. The game you had issues most likely the apron is not seated correctly with the attachment rails.

#158 11 months ago

Picked up a Deluxe version at Golden state pinball festival. Added mirror blades today and waxed it. Almost 500 plays from the show. Everything is working great.

IMG_1946 (resized).jpegIMG_1946 (resized).jpeg
#159 11 months ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Picked up a Deluxe version at Golden state pinball festival. Added mirror blades today and waxed it. Almost 500 plays from the show. Everything is working great.
[quoted image]

Congratulations! Both GTFs were fun players for sure.

#160 11 months ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

[quoted image]

Would love to see some more pix with the mirror blades please.

#161 11 months ago

So after a lot of play, my targets were pushed back enough I figured I'd take a look to see if anything practical could be done.

I am very disappointed with the choices in the original mech

1 - All the targets and bracket are riveted together as a single mech. Making this large piece that includes wear items more difficult to replace parts.
2 - The way the switches are dressed in the wiring harness makes it a huge PITA to even try to remove the mech (compounding issue #1). Instead of being a sub-assembly that would be easily popped in/out - it's all dressed in and possibly even mid-loop on the switch lines.

backside (resized).jpegbackside (resized).jpeg

Here's where my targets were...
start2 (resized).jpegstart2 (resized).jpeg
startingpoint (resized).jpegstartingpoint (resized).jpeg

Now after having the assembly in hand... I'm even more frustrated because
1 - there is no way this design would have held up over time. There is no support on the bracket to keep the tabs from bending. Literally there is only the existing bent ~0.5 tab for each target. The reliefs to make the arc isolate each target shrinking the support for each.
2 - because everything is riveted together it makes it difficult to get access to the bracket to bend anything back!

bracket (resized).jpegbracket (resized).jpeg

Basically pushing on the switch back and grabbing the bracket's mounting plate, I bent them best I dared. But I could not get the access I would normally want.

Better, but not great...

after (resized).jpegafter (resized).jpeg

In hindsight, each target effectively is it's own bracket. I mean that should work, it works in every other standup.. but something is off.

Compare with a traditional standup target bracket

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg

Note the gusset bend in the corner of the bracket? The AP switch maybe slightly taller too.. but it's probably more the metal than anything.

#162 11 months ago

I think the difference is the lack of a wood playfield behind the target to help provide additional reinforcement. That's why the left target is fine and why most standup target banks don't have this issue. Examples

Note leftside reinforcement of left standup presses against playfield
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Note lack of anything behind targets (ignore red circle)

Now observe the arc of standups cut out on Oktoberfest

As another random example, the standup targets on F-14 that are super close to the flippers. Standard standups (IIRC), but the playfield helps support them being pushed back

#163 11 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think the difference is the lack of a wood playfield behind the target to help provide additional reinforcement.

Targets aren't usually directly supported by the wood behind them. Sure, you can talk about 'how much room there is to move' -- but that's not why are bending or not.

We've moved to re-enforced target backs because the target itself used to bend... we didn't worry much about the bracket bending. Here, it's the bracket bending because it's nothing but a 90deg bend.

#164 11 months ago

I mean the wood definitely limits how far back the target can move when struck... Can you think of any other games that have standups, particularly ones close to flippers, that have a large opening behind them and this isn't an issue?

Anyhow when I look at this

I see the thin 90 degree bends like you mention. If they weren't vertically cut like that between them, then the stress would be much better dispersed through the rest of the metal. Because now it's just the small bit of metal at the bend that trying to stop the whole target from bending back more.

#165 11 months ago

Greetings owners from a potential future owner. I haven't heard anything about the screechy sound mix being resolved yet, whether with hardware/settings or a software update. Has this been resolved?

#166 11 months ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Greetings owners from a potential future owner. I haven't heard anything about the screechy sound mix being resolved yet, whether with hardware/settings or a software update. Has this been resolved?

I have not had any screechy sound issues. I have mine at about Level 6 and need to adjust the bass down a tad but callouts and music it is quite clear with no clipping. This must have been a show issue with the sound set way high to compensate for a loud environment.

#167 11 months ago

At TPF and Allentown the audio was "painful" (not just my opinion) and was uniquely a GTF issue. Perhaps turning up the volume too high exacerbates the issue. But if the treble/bass levels are independently adjustable, then it seems totally fixable by tweaking the settings.

#168 11 months ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

At TPF and Allentown the audio was "painful" (not just my opinion) and was uniquely a GTF issue. Perhaps turning up the volume too high exacerbates the issue. But if the treble/bass levels are independently adjustable, then it seems totally fixable by tweaking the settings.

Huh. I played the CoinTaker LE and the PinballSTAR Deluxe (my game) on Friday and was near the other 2 and did not experience any issues. Could that have been on Saturday ?

There is an amplifier in the backbox that has separate treble and bass adjustments but I still have not messed with the sound.

#169 11 months ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

No issues here…

#170 11 months ago

Hmmm. I wonder what is going on. Even Dennis & Tony of EGP commented upon the “shrieky and painful” aspect of the sound at TPF… but if the sound has treble/bass controls it was probably a matter of not being dialed in correctly. Perhaps only affecting the earliest units.

#171 11 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So after a lot of play, my targets were pushed back enough I figured I'd take a look to see if anything practical could be done.
1 - All the targets and bracket are riveted together as a single mech. .

I can only hope AP has installed the bracket they promised Sofia will design on my game before shipping.

#172 11 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

1 - All the targets and bracket are riveted together as a single mech. Making this large piece that includes wear items more difficult to replace parts.
2 - The way the switches are dressed in the wiring harness makes it a huge PITA to even try to remove the mech (compounding issue #1). Instead of being a sub-assembly that would be easily popped in/out - it's all dressed in and possibly even mid-loop on the switch lines.
[quoted image]
Here's where my targets were...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Now after having the assembly in hand... I'm even more frustrated because
1 - there is no way this design would have held up over time. There is no support on the bracket to keep the tabs from bending. Literally there is only the existing bent ~0.5 tab for each target. The reliefs to make the arc isolate each target shrinking the support for each.
2 - because everything is riveted together it makes it difficult to get access to the bracket to bend anything back!
[quoted image]
Basically pushing on the switch back and grabbing the bracket's mounting plate, I bent them best I dared. But I could not get the access I would normally want.
Better, but not great...
[quoted image]
In hindsight, each target effectively is it's own bracket. I mean that should work, it works in every other standup.. but something is off.
Compare with a traditional standup target bracket
[quoted image]
Note the gusset bend in the corner of the bracket? The AP switch maybe slightly taller too.. but it's probably more the metal than anything.

The 6 escape targets on Doctor Who are similar in construction. Replacement mechs are unobtainium.

I molexed al of the wires into a pair of mini-fit connectors to make a removable sub-assembly.

Then I drilled out the rivets and rebuilt it with bolts, nylock nuts and new switches.

It didnt take long to do it, but now its really easy to work on.

#173 11 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I mean the wood definitely limits how far back the target can move when struck... Can you think of any other games that have standups, particularly ones close to flippers, that have a large opening behind them and this isn't an issue?
Anyhow when I look at this
[quoted image]
I see the thin 90 degree bends like you mention. If they weren't vertically cut like that between them, then the stress would be much better dispersed through the rest of the metal. Because now it's just the small bit of metal at the bend that trying to stop the whole target from bending back more.

Terminator 2 and Doctor Who come to mind when looking at this mech.

Williams and bally solved the issue with "heavy" steel backplates.

Doctor Who using a wall from behind, T2 using a heavy steel "channel" across the top.

These solutions have worked pretty good over years of abuse.

#174 11 months ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Hmmm. I wonder what is going on. Even Dennis & Tony of EGP commented upon the “shrieky and painful” aspect of the sound at TPF… but if the sound has treble/bass controls it was probably a matter of not being dialed in correctly. Perhaps only affecting the earliest units.

I've been talking to Casey about these types of comments and it has to be the treble adjustment not being in the correct position on the amp. He's going to double check with production to make sure these are shipping with the correct settings.

#175 11 months ago

A little birdie told me yesterday that the tank target bracket and deflector are in final testing but no word on when anything would be ready to ship.

#176 10 months ago

Greetings, Galactic Tank Force Rookies!

New code is now available for your Galactic Tank Force Model 375A Battle Tank!

Code:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_w2z3x0jrSAqTsa1otJnMbMzAHU1nLSV&usp=drive_fs

Release Notes:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aE7ObMlSynBcGzZRhWwVFjcVMUnY68-j&usp=drive_fs

Galactic Tank Force
Latest Version: 23.05.30
Release Notes

Updating your Galactic Tank Force machine is a simple process.

To install the update...

1) Download the update package and copy it onto a USB stick (ExFAT, minimum 32 GB).
2) Turn on your Galactic Tank Force machine.
3) Open the coin door and find the USB extension cable. It should be anchored to the left side wall of the cabinet.
4) Insert the USB stick into the extension cable.
5) After a few seconds, the display should indicate that code is being updated. The code update process takes approximately 45 minutes.
6) An on-screen message will advise when the update process is complete. Shut down the game, remove the USB stick, and power the game back up.
7) Enjoy some ice cream to celebrate!

CHANGE LOG

NEW -- Ice Cream Social: initial implementation.
NEW -- Knocker effects: some in-game knocker effects have been added for machines with a physical knocker -- more to come. Check that Settings > Standard > Knocker is set to "Mechanical", and Settings > Standard > Knocker Usage is set to your preference.
FIXED -- Air Strike Multiball: improved possible ball save glitches.
FIXED -- Ball Search: was not firing all appropriate coils.
FIXED -- Lab: fixed a potential crash when Tournament Mode is enabled.
FIXED -- Shoot Again light now lights as expected when player has collected an Extra Ball.
MODIFIED -- Air Strike Multiball: improved choreography.
MODIFIED -- Attract Mode: improved choreography.
MODIFIED -- Lab: improved Plotnick choreography.
MODIFIED -- Meltdown: improved choreography.
MODIFIED -- Ramp Diverter: reduced lockout time for repeated button presses.
MODIFIED -- Settings > Coils > Up Post: allows greater range of power settings. If your game's up-post (between the flippers) does not consistently raise for several seconds after hitting the Tank while "Defense" is lit, try raising the Up Post power +5 or +10 and testing again, until it is consistent.
MODIFIED -- Tank Battles: improved choreography.
KNOWN ISSUE -- A small number of actor scenes are missing speech.
KNOWN ISSUE -- A black scene may briefly appear when qualifying the Lab.

We thank you for serving in the Galactic Tank Force, and wish you a successful deployment on the Moon of Lumina!

#177 10 months ago

Amazing work! You are a machine Amigo! Thank you for your efforts and continuing to indulge we, the unwashed masses, of Pinside!

#178 10 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

New code is now available for your Galactic Tank Force ...

Great. Thanks for the update. I will try it out tonight during our weekly pinball tournament.

#179 10 months ago

I too will install tonight. Thanks !

#180 10 months ago

And as always, if y'all encounter any problems (especially game-killers), don't hesitate to reach out to me.

#181 10 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

And as always, if y'all encounter any problems (especially game-killers), don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Just played the new code. The knocker effects on the 3rd tank are cool since it now easier to confirm a target hit. Kyan now will say something about like, "did a robot just pop up from that tank" or something to that affect.

Problems so far: The end of game point standings just stayed up and would not rotate to the next screen even when a flipper button was pushed but it did go away when a new game was started. The sound went out during the meltdown multiball but the sound did return once the balls were lost. I only played two games so far.

#183 10 months ago

Double post, sorry.

#184 10 months ago

My Deluxe is planned to be drop shipped later this week. I was told that I'd be getting the bracket reinforcement when the are manufactured.

Looking forward to playing this. Could possibly arrive late next week or soon after.

Robert

#185 10 months ago

A few pics of le#3. Game was well packaged and minimal adjustments required. Amazing quality. Separate treble and bass adjustment. Hooking up sun tomorrow. Cool music on game. Super fun to play. I really enjoyed playing it yesterday. Fix for target bending coming. New code just downloaded. Fun game! Great if you have a larger collection it Really stands out. Looks reminded me of a video game. The LED lighting adjustments are amazing. There’s hundreds of different combinations or you can just turn it off. Recommend the game! Shots are fun for sure.

IMG_0204 (resized).jpegIMG_0204 (resized).jpegIMG_0205 (resized).jpegIMG_0205 (resized).jpegIMG_0206 (resized).jpegIMG_0206 (resized).jpegIMG_0208 (resized).jpegIMG_0208 (resized).jpegIMG_0210 (resized).jpegIMG_0210 (resized).jpegIMG_0216 (resized).jpegIMG_0216 (resized).jpegIMG_0217 (resized).jpegIMG_0217 (resized).jpegIMG_0218 (resized).jpegIMG_0218 (resized).jpegIMG_0222 (resized).jpegIMG_0222 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#186 10 months ago

Joined the club as well today. The game came fairly late so haven’t played much. It was pretty buggy at first with balls getting locked when they probably weren’t supposed to and balls not getting sent to the shooter lane. Lots of ball searches. Things seemed to get better as I played more but I’m also not too familiar with the rules and code yet. Overall, a very smooth shooter and a lot of fun. Oh and thank you for the help calprog

IMG_6340 (resized).jpegIMG_6340 (resized).jpeg

#187 10 months ago

Delivered today and registered. It’s campy and fun and the family digs it!!

70838380740__254B7C0F-04B2-4149-8BB9-510A1F32613B (resized).jpeg70838380740__254B7C0F-04B2-4149-8BB9-510A1F32613B (resized).jpeg70838388319__493ECD64-0B8A-4E71-B454-36D925F2DF18 (resized).jpeg70838388319__493ECD64-0B8A-4E71-B454-36D925F2DF18 (resized).jpegIMG_8391 (resized).jpegIMG_8391 (resized).jpegIMG_8392 (resized).jpegIMG_8392 (resized).jpegIMG_8394 (resized).jpegIMG_8394 (resized).jpegIMG_8395 (resized).jpegIMG_8395 (resized).jpegIMG_8397 (resized).jpegIMG_8397 (resized).jpegIMG_8398 (resized).jpegIMG_8398 (resized).jpegIMG_8399 (resized).jpegIMG_8399 (resized).jpegIMG_8403 (resized).jpegIMG_8403 (resized).jpegIMG_8406 (resized).jpegIMG_8406 (resized).jpeg
#188 10 months ago

I should get my deluxe later this week.

Robert

#189 10 months ago

So out of the box the outlanes are at the most closed and they are still brutal! That or I must truly suck.

#190 10 months ago

Cool to see them going out. Looks like they're doing deluxe and le simultaneously.

Quoted from Bos98:

So out of the box the outlanes are at the most closed and they are still brutal! That or I must truly suck.

Playfield steep enough?

#191 10 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Cool to see them going out. Looks like they're doing deluxe and le simultaneously.

Playfield steep enough?

Maybe not. Kids wanted to play so I tossed the legs on and off they went. Minimally it’s level side to side!

#192 10 months ago

Also before I open this up and start making adjustments, can someone confirm that this is not set from the factory on purpose like this when both flipper buttons are held?

IMG_8417 (resized).jpegIMG_8417 (resized).jpeg

Update: watched deadflip play video on YouTube. I have adjusted the flipper mechs.

#193 10 months ago
Quoted from Bos98:

My game was set to the middle position but it was an early built game.

#194 10 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Playfield steep enough?

It’s at 7.1* with all 4 leg levelers all the way in.

#195 10 months ago
Quoted from Bos98:

It’s at 7.1* with all 4 leg levelers all the way in.

This is what came with my game.

GTFlegs (resized).jpgGTFlegs (resized).jpg
#196 10 months ago
Quoted from Bos98:

Delivered today and registered. It’s campy and fun and the family digs it!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

GTF sure is a great looking machine! Nice game room!!

#197 10 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

This is what came with my game. [quoted image]

And mine all the way in on my floor is at 7.1 back to front and 0.05* left to right at the tank in the center of the playfield. I believe the game docs said 6.5* is optimal so I guess I’ll raise the front up a bit and see how it goes.

#198 10 months ago
Quoted from Bos98:

I believe the game docs said 6.5* is optimal so I guess I’ll raise the front up a bit and see how it goes.

Here is the only paperwork I received with my game. I do not see anything that said 6.5 degrees on my documentation.

gtftegs2 (resized).jpggtftegs2 (resized).jpg
#199 10 months ago
Quoted from Bos98:And mine all the way in on my floor is at 7.1 back to front and 0.05* left to right at the tank in the center of the playfield. I believe the game docs said 6.5* is optimal so I guess I’ll raise the front up a bit and see how it goes.

Quoted from Bos98:

So out of the box the outlanes are at the most closed and they are still brutal!

making it floatier usually leads to more outlane drains!

#200 10 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

making it floatier usually leads to more outlane drains!

I raised the front just enough to get this to 6.5 on my floor. Seems a bit better but the left outlane still seems to just be real wide. I’ll keep playing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 9,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,533 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/galactic-tank-force-owners-club-get-your-ice-cream-here/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.