(Topic ID: 235305)

Gabba Gabba Hey! Bring on The Ramones! (With Poll)

By pinballlife

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PhilGreg
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Gabba Gabba Hey - Ramones Pinball?”

• Ramones Rule, bring on the machine! 113 votes
      60%
    • Ramones Do Not Rule, bury the idea 70 votes
      37%
    • I heart Joey 6 votes
      3%

(189 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture+_2022-05-04-06-26-05 (resized).png
    193253EA-0B9A-4DE1-83C4-D1B4E8DD5F1E (resized).jpeg
    5E89A83D-D66E-4269-B31B-4BA3EC3695F9 (resized).jpeg
    Standing_in_the_Spotlight (resized).jpg
    3A668418-C021-4B08-BB14-4F1AFEC3416F (resized).png
    16057555826805781653142323988975 (resized).jpg
    16057432858724428662434292715144 (resized).jpg
    20201114_104553 (resized).jpg
    20201114_075631 (resized).jpg
    532b6192936725659e40726ae6d50a83--tommy-ramone-ramones (resized).jpg
    IMG_0010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0009 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0023 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20181204_180408_01 (resized).jpg
    rock-o-meter (resized).png
    rat_fish_tank (resized).png
    There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 years ago

Bop til you drop

#102 3 years ago

1...2...3...4!

#103 3 years ago

OK it's time to lay out the amazing history my family has with the boys from queens

My Uncle Mark was in a high school band with Johnny and Tommy, called the Tangerine Puppets. He said Johnny was a royal asshole! He really liked Tommy though. He was like 15 at the time, rock stardom was not in his future.

My Aunt, on the other side of the family (dad) dated Joey Ramone! She has some bizarre story about how she met him, I think it was through a band members wanted ad. She was like 13 and he was graduated from high school. Her friends were making fun of her because he was so ugly, but she didn't break up with him until he demanded to come over to my grandmother's for Passover. Aunt Mo realized what a horror show that was going to be so she pulled the rip cord.

He was in a band called Sniper at the time and they played the local community center a few days after the breakup and called her a bitch from the stage!

I got nothing that good but I did shake Joey's sweaty meat paw during one of his last shows. When I moved to NYC in 1998 there was basically a Ramones-related club show every other weekend and I always did my best to attend, always great shows.

#104 3 years ago
    Standing_in_the_Spotlight (resized).jpgStanding_in_the_Spotlight (resized).jpg
    #105 3 years ago

My favorite review of the Dee Dee King album -
    "sounds less like a rap record and more like a Ramones album that has rapping on it"

#106 3 years ago

I'm not afraid to say it... Standing in the spotlight is one of my favorite albums. It's like watching a B movie. It's cheesy but entertaining and fun to watch. Iv'e been to about 20 Ramones shows and miss them a lot. You can watch the videos and listen to the tunes but the raw energy to their live shows was amazing. The Ramones and pinball would be perfect match.

#107 3 years ago

I own Standing In The Spotlight on LP. Love it in a way that is not describable. Weird, surprising, bad, great, and a bunch more things.

#108 3 years ago

Anthology such a great collection for a road trip. Remember my 3 year old singing happily along to “beat on the brat”. So good. Would love to play along to Surfin Bird. This would be the best music pin since AC/DC. One of the few pins where the songs are all amped and would never get sick of their songs. Short ball times please.

#109 3 years ago

I had the good or bad fortune of living near the Chelsea hotel in the mid and late 90s and would see Dee Dee fairly often.

He was a regular at the Chelsea guitars usually trying to hawk or buy back one of his basses for dope money.

I talked to him a few times and wish i didnt.

#110 3 years ago

I interviewed Dee Dee Ramone back in the early 90's when I free-lanced for a fanzine I no longer remember the name of and Dee Dee fronted a band I think I remember the name of; Chinese Rocks. He was still an excitable boy, but uh, he also seemed rather not smart. Let's just say I wanted the interview to end more than he did. No matter, he's still my hero even though I met said hero and it wasn't very impressive.
    Now THAT'S punk. RIP Dee Dee, and all the other original Ramones, for that matter. Shit, all four of them are dead.

#111 3 years ago

Eh.. it was just sad.

He was just being whatever people thought he was.... trying to live up to whatever image and being a fuck up.

I think their racket was they would sell his “bass he played with Ramones” for crazy money and hope some tourist would buy it.

If they did sell it they would magically have another “bass he played with the Ramones” for sale next day. I went in there probably 100 times and they always had something of his for sale which is odd since he was obviously broke and didnt own 30 basses.

He could never remember my name but he knew my band so he called me by my bands name… one of those people you talk to but they aren’t really there.

The Ramones are what they are... for most people they are a t-shirt.

To be a dick we used to go up to people in NYC wearing a Ramones shirt and ask them to name 5 Ramones songs, normally they didnt know any.

#112 3 years ago

This thread has taken a sad and predictable turn as all threads about junkies do but let me just say it again...

Ramones: Greatest American rock band!

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This thread has taken a sad and predictable turn as all threads about junkies do but let me just say it again...
    Ramones: Greatest American rock band!

I wasnt really trying to harp on the junkie thing more the trying to live up to an image.

Ramones like CBGB became a T shirt at some point and 100% image.... they became a symbol not a band.

Their records didnt sell but they did sell millions upon millions of t shirts all over the world... even Justin Beiber has one Im sure.

He was one of those people that would turn on the Dee Dee act depending on who was around. Thats the part that was sad.

Fat Mike is the worst with this... normal kinda quiet guy but get them in a room with 10 people who "know who they are" and boom its a song and dance clown show.

#114 3 years ago

sirius xm is streaming free until december 1st.. Marky Ramone has his own punk channel:
    https://www.siriusxm.com/channels/marky-ramones-blitzkrieg?d=Desktop#:~:text=1st%20Wave%20Blitzkrieg-,Marky%20Ramone%2C%20brings%20his%20Blitzkrieg%20to%20Sirius%20XM%201st%20Wave,Talking%20Heads%2C%20Blondie%20and%20more.&text=Punk%20Rock%20Blitzkrieg-,Marky%20Ramone's%20Punk%20Rock%20Blitzkrieg%20is%20Classic%20Punk%2024%2F7,time%20Ramones%20drummer%20Marky%20Ramone!

Also he plays a live 2 hour DJ set on sirius channel 31 (first wave), see above link

#115 3 years ago

Happened upon this on a trip to LA last year. Didn’t even know he was buried there. Chris Cornell was right next to him. And I think Dee Dee is in the same cemetery but couldn’t find him.

193253EA-0B9A-4DE1-83C4-D1B4E8DD5F1E (resized).jpeg193253EA-0B9A-4DE1-83C4-D1B4E8DD5F1E (resized).jpeg5E89A83D-D66E-4269-B31B-4BA3EC3695F9 (resized).jpeg5E89A83D-D66E-4269-B31B-4BA3EC3695F9 (resized).jpeg
    #116 3 years ago

5...6...7...8! (Badass Glue Sniffin’ Riff)

9 months later
    4 months later
    #118 2 years ago

It's time. Especially when obscure bands like Rush are getting their own pin. Do it @spookycharlie.

#119 2 years ago

The Ramones are more present in today's musical culture than ever before in the past.
    Now is the time for Ramones pinball!

#120 2 years ago

Rock 'N Roll High School will be on TMC at 2:30 AM this Saturday.

1 month later
    #122 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Saw them play at a college kegger in Grinnell Iowa back in 78 or 79. I wasn't supoosed to get in (show was for the college students only) so I had to stand outside and keep asking girls to get me in as their little brother until someone finally said yes.
    Crazy days

Any more to this story? Did you party with the college babes?

#123 2 years ago

I would love a Ramones pin. For the artwork I would go with the original 1974-1978 lineup with Tommy Ramone on the drums but I would leave a spot on the playfield to honor Marky.

For the music I would only focus on pre-1989 with the major focus being on 1976-80.

Hey Ho Let's Go! Here they are in their prime 1977!

2 months later
    #125 1 year ago

Came across this art by Johnny Crap. Just a t-shirt design he did a while back I think, don't want to start any rumors.

Capture+_2022-05-04-06-26-05 (resized).pngCapture+_2022-05-04-06-26-05 (resized).png
    There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gabba-gabba-hey-bring-on-the-ramones/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.