• Latest reply 2 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7280cb022d24c31670c3a43bf51b91564a70eb26 (resized).jpg
70995-Series_DSL (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

This took some effort to track down so I figured I will share. (the suppliers carry ten of thousands of different PCB spacers and stand-offs in hundreds of configurations, and each supplier uses the same terminology differently... "spacer" and "standoff" may or may not mean the same thing.)

My Gottlieb System 80 Volcano (1981) uses this style of nylon stand-off to hold the circuit boards in place. After 40 years, some of the inner locking tabs are worn out, missing, or the whole mounting pin is just totally snapped off clean.

Nylon PCB stand-off / spacerNylon PCB stand-off / spacer #6 mounting screw#6 mounting screw

The size is measured as the air-gap between the surface of the wood and the underside of the PCB. They are all attached to the wood panel via a through-hole and a self-threading #6 screw with a slotted-flanged-hex-head, a.k.a. sheet-metal screw.

The sizes are as follows (for Volcano, likely similar on other System 80 machines)

•  ⅞" for the various boards... MPU, PS, Driver, Sound, etc. (qty 22)
•  ⅝" for the Credit display (qty 4)
•  ½" for the four Score displays (qty 16)

Docent Electronics sells the ⅝" size (credit display) on their System 80A/80B and System 3 pages, but not any other sizes... I already asked.

I managed to find them all on Mouser. According to the data-sheets, all critical dimensions are the same including a 2.9 mm mounting hole for a #6 self-threading screw (3.5 mm O.D.). I have no idea if these are same brand originally used, but they appear to have come from the same molds.

• ⅞" (22.2 mm) here
• ⅝" (15.8 mm) here
• ½" (12.7 mm) here

They have five more sizes available, all in stock...

¼", ⅜", ¾", 1", and ~1-⅛"

#2 2 years ago

Received my order today. I will confirm these are identical to the originals.

#4 2 years ago

Yep! I'm sorry I did not check with you on these. GPE has been off my radar since the last couple of things I needed were out of stock or NLA.

Thanks for chiming in here on these... I would have saved myself a ton of effort had I remembered GPE first.

4 weeks later
#5 2 years ago

After ordering some from both Mouser and GPE, I found them to be identical in every way except one. The ones from GPE are very slightly off-white, which perfectly matches the 40-yr-old originals on the machine. They almost look yellow-ish from age. If I had to do again, I'd get all from GPE.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fyi-exact-replacement-gottlieb-sys-80-pcb-stand-offs?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.