• Latest reply 2 years ago by sparky672
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

31cx6qLpKjL (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

My 1981 system 80 game needed a single new DIP switch bank for the MPU. My original switch banks are red, rocker-style, and I believe made by Grayhill. I needed to replace one out of four, and the pinball parts suppliers don't seem to carry the rocker style switch. (I know electrically it doesn't matter, but I prefer the same look/style unless changing all four.)

GrayhillGrayhill

FYI for anyone who desires this kind, I managed to find the original Grayhill rocker style DIP switches on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BT8KU4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_P203SS3PK5YT3DN3QBT5

If you're changing all four, then this might not matter to you.

#2 2 years ago

I might need one or two someday. I switched my BH from 5 ball to 3 ball about 6 months ago for the first time but the change wouldn't take, switch hadn't been flicked in decades so naturally it was dirty. Spritzing some DeOxit directly into a few of the rocker switch gaps for a millionth of a second and working all the rockers back and forth and now I'm enjoying 3 ball.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Spritzing some DeOxit directly into a few of the rocker switch gaps for a millionth of a second and working all the rockers back and forth

After I soldered the new one in place, I thoroughly washed all of mine with 91% isopropyl alcohol to remove the flux and the ball-point pen ink left on the old rockers. I had previously tested mine for on/off continuity when I was troubleshooting some switch matrix issues a few weeks ago.

The only reason I removed one DIP switch was to get underneath to make sure I had thoroughly cleaned the board of all battery corrosion. The epoxy in the switch seems to not be able to survive desoldering very well so it could not be re-used with confidence.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fyi-exact-replacement-gottlieb-sys-80-dip-rocker-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.