Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by EMpins16
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello , just picked up what looks to be a home use only future spa in crazy nice condition . The mpu is shot , has heavy acid damage . My question is would this be enough to keep the game from powering on ? All my experience is with EM repair . Gonna get my meter out today and dig around but just thought I’d ask

#2 4 years ago

Yeah acid damage is bad not just the board but the connectors as well

I keep a spare Alltek board until I can find a suitable original replacement for cheap on e-bay

pics?

#future-spa is a great game

#3 4 years ago

Even without an MPU, you should at least get GI lights. Nothing else will turn on without the MPU.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Even without an MPU, you should at least get GI lights. Nothing else will turn on without the MPU.

I’m currently getting nothing at all . Not even so much as a hum .

#5 4 years ago

First disconnect all the MPU connectors.
Then check your fuses on the rectifier board, one is probably blown.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from EMpins16:

I’m currently getting nothing at all . Not even so much as a hum .

could be a bad connector on the rectifier, bad line fuse, or bad line fuse holder. or something wrong with the power cord

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

could be a bad connector on the rectifier, bad line fuse, or bad line fuse holder. or something wrong with the power cord

One of the fuse holders does look to have some damage . Also on that rectifier board is it common to have wires soldered directly to the board ?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from EMpins16:

One of the fuse holders does look to have some damage . Also on that rectifier board is it common to have wires soldered directly to the board ?

If you mean coming from the transformer, yes. Check out the pics here:

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#How_To_Hook_Up_a_Bally_AS-2518-18_Rectifier_Board

If your rectifier board is shot, it’s a relatively cheap and easy part to replace. My Future Spa was suffering a similar problem, although my GI did have power. I got no boot LEDs from the MPU, though. I did some rectifier troubleshooting but eventually realized I’d rather spend some cash than some time and bought this replacement:

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-100-0070-00

20 minutes of soldering later (do yourself a favor and remove the whole transformer from the game), and I was back up and running. I still don’t know what was wrong on the old rectifier board, but I don’t much care anymore.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from CKrueger:

If you mean coming from the transformer, yes. Check out the pics here:
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#How_To_Hook_Up_a_Bally_AS-2518-18_Rectifier_Board
If your rectifier board is shot, it’s a relatively cheap and easy part to replace. My Future Spa was suffering a similar problem, although my GI did have power. I got no boot LEDs from the MPU, though. I did some rectifier troubleshooting but eventually realized I’d rather spend some cash than some time and bought this replacement:
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-100-0070-00
20 minutes of soldering later (do yourself a favor and remove the whole transformer from the game), and I was back up and running. I still don’t know what was wrong on the old rectifier board, but I don’t much care anymore.

Great info . Thanks . Yea I know the mpu is shot , perhaps doing the rectifier and mpu In one shot will save me a head ache in the long run

#10 4 years ago

It’s certainly the easy way out, if expensive!

I banged my head against my Black Hole’s CPU issue for 6 months, and then fixed it in 5 minutes with a Pascal board. My only regret was not spending the $300 before I drained numerous evenings attempting to teach myself to diagnose the CPU issue.

#11 4 years ago

Some nice close up pictures of the rectifier board, connectors, etc, would help. I wouldn't be surprized if there is a lot of charring on the rectifier board.

#12 4 years ago

If you mean wires soldered to the BACK side of the rectifier board, then yes that is ok. Shouldn't have any on the front. Did you check your power cord where it connects inside the cabinet? I have seen to spade lug fail a few times, I would look there too

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

If you mean wires soldered to the BACK side of the rectifier board, then yes that is ok. Shouldn't have any on the front. Did you check your power cord where it connects inside the cabinet? I have seen to spade lug fail a few times, I would look there too

I will post pictures today , It appears to be on the front

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-not-turning-on- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.