(Topic ID: 294453)

Future Spa no displays and radio static

By LoserKid_Pinball

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I'm working on a Future Spa and the manual isn't helping much. Originally this game had the transformer/Rectifier board missing from it. I got the new one installed last night and finally turned it on.

All the lights come on and after what seems like a brief warm up period (5 or 10 seconds) what sounds like Atari video game sounds mixed with radio static starts blaring through the speaker. Nothing shows up on the displays. The manual says the MPU LED should light up and blink 7x. It does light up but no blinking. Manual recommends replacing the whole MPU if that is the case but I have a feeling you don't need to replace the whole circuit board.

Anyone got any advice?

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from LoserKid_Pinball:

I'm working on a Future Spa and the manual isn't helping much. Originally this game had the transformer/Rectifier board missing from it. I got the new one installed last night and finally turned it on.
All the lights come on and after what seems like a brief warm up period (5 or 10 seconds) what sounds like Atari video game sounds mixed with radio static starts blaring through the speaker. Nothing shows up on the displays. The manual says the MPU LED should light up and blink 7x. It does light up but no blinking. Manual recommends replacing the whole MPU if that is the case but I have a feeling you don't need to replace the whole circuit board.
Anyone got any advice?

Head over to the Bally section on Pinwiki to start troubleshooting

#3 2 years ago

Is it the original MPU board? Any signs of alkaline damage to the board? Have you verified the correct voltages at the rectifier board, then the solenoid driver board, then lastly the mpu?

Likely issues:
Bad connectors - need to be rebuilt
Alkaline damage on original MPU - could have damaged reset section, 5101 socket, connectors/headers
Solenoid driver board needs to be recapped if original - would prevent booting of the MPU if 5volts was missing

#4 2 years ago

I would also check out the voltages on the driver board, as a solid 5v from there is required to power the MPU, and it also generates the 190v for the displays. Do the recommended preventative maintenance/modifications: http://retroflip.savonet.be/pinballs.slashdirt.org/pinrepair/bally/index1.html#cap

Are the female connectors for the power supply board in good shape? Lots of times they get burned up and need to be repinned/replaced

#5 2 years ago

While your at it.

Check your speaker wires, replace them but twist them during installation.

Go over the sound board or sections and check and replace caps, amp IC, resistor.

Take your sound board or section to the Spa.

#6 2 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will do some digging when I get home. I did replace/repin some of the connections but I'll check the others that I didn't.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-no-displays-and-radio-static and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.