dbb44982e231efc5df9dce55787f4b1b04ea439b (resized).jpg
6C096C9E-1EEA-4830-9CCE-643A87357CD4 (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg
After.png
Before.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.12.29 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.19.40 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.19.10 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joey_N.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#137 5 years ago

Check out the repro Metal apron thread. A couple have requested Future Spa. I bought the Fathom and SBM and they’re vey well done.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

The guy on the metal apron thread hasn't done Future Spa yet. But the decal is available at Ministry of Pinball:

Oh I know, sorry, I meant just get on the list. Sounds like the OP doesn’t really need it though. I haven’t actually confirmed that the original fades like the cabinet does.

3 weeks later
#162 5 years ago

This is inspiring. I’ve been in the hobby for nearly 20yrs, but have only stenciled several vid cabinets. Used oil based, and quite pleased. I feel like there’s no way I’ll replicate the old process exactly, probably lacquer on barely primered wood, metal stencils, etc. at this point, and especially after this, I think I’m moving to lacquer automotive paint, like the Duplicolor line. I have several classic Bally’s to restore and repaint, incl Future Spa, SBM, Playboy, KISS. Since so many with white base coat, will make more sense to buy enough to do several cabinets. Your cabinet may not be exactly the original process, but this seems like a great compromise using modern paints. I appreciate you sharing your tips. I look forward to my Future Spa project, but kinda wish I just had THAT cabinet!

1 week later
#192 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can also just replace it with a roll of Aluminum flashing from HD. It's in the roofing department.
Or just look around the neighborhood for roofing crew, they will even bend the corners sharply with their Brake.
Nothing a crew of alcoholics like more than $10 beer money.

I've done the same. I found that whatever was available in the store was about 1/2" shorter than what I needed, but not really noticeable. I just clamped it between 2 2x4s and eased the bend over. Would've been easier with a metal brake, but it worked. I'd do that before trying to polish it, doesn't seem worth the effort.

2 weeks later
#215 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

...and now back to the cabinet. My son connects the new modern-style leg brackets along with the cabinet protectors. The reason we do this first is we make sure they are properly aligned with the leg bolts, pre-drill the holes, then remove the brackets for placement of the ground braid.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Here you can see the ground braid partially installed. We're taking the strategy more similar to how we did our BoP, a main strip and tributaries. Also, we intend on grounding the prop bar and speaker base as well.
[quoted image]

So, I have a few Bally cabinets to restore, incl Future Spa, but am building a lower KISS cabinet from scratch.

Very interested in the newer corner brackets and protectors like that.

What do you recommend/where is best place to buy these? Are they a system/set?

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Pinball Life sells those for $14 a set. I use them on all my pinball machines. Most efficient and discrete protectors.
Yves

Thanks. Will look it up!

#219 5 years ago

Great. Yeah, I couldn't find the inner bracket on Pinball Life. Going to need to some of this stuff. On the new KISS cabinet build, I'll just use new inner brackets. I think like the idea of the outer bracket over a new paint job.

2 weeks later
#264 5 years ago

It has to be getting pulled a hair out of square when you bolt it down.

1 week later
#298 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Yes, that was my process. There actually were no screws so I’ll be using them for the first time. They were a real pain to remove!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration#post-4213086

That's one of those seemingly simple/stupid things I would not have thought of.

I saw Future Spa in pictures probably 10yrs ago, loved the artwork, mostly the backglass. Several years ago, I bought a project game, but it's been sitting, but I DO look forward to restoring it. Paint is badly faded to near white - will need total cabinet repaint. My playfield is pretty nice though, but inserts are badly dished, so clearcoating it will be a labor of love.

#300 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Our inserts were the most cupped I've ever seen, and that was on a mostly NOS playfield. captainneo spent the better part of five months slowly leveling them out and getting them as close to flat as you can, and we're grateful...that was totally a labor of love.

I'm nearly finished clearcoating an NOS Strikes and Spares playfield. The inserts were incredibly cupped. I can confirm that filling with 2 part clear, block sanding flat is a) a LOT of meticulous work and b) I can't see a 'depth' to it, it looks like the inserts are truly flat, not like I'm looking through 2mm of clear

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 10.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 85.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joey_N.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration?tu=Joey_N and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.