dbb44982e231efc5df9dce55787f4b1b04ea439b (resized).jpg
6C096C9E-1EEA-4830-9CCE-643A87357CD4 (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg
After.png
Before.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.12.29 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.19.40 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.19.10 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BJM-Maxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I managed it. I guess there are no shortcuts. Tap it with a hammer (which is a terrible thing to do to a playfield), hopefully get a bit out the underside, then grab with vice grips.

Not a fun process. I think next time, I'm going to snip it close to the playfield surface with my nippers, then use a pin punch to knock it out the other side.
Once the playfield was clear, we cleaned with naptha, and then did a full 1200 dpi scan. This was a lesson in patience. In case anyone is curious, we used a HP Scanjet 4670 and then Photoshop's photomerge function to create a pixel perfect scan. Here's a massively reduced version (in other words, not fit for printing) (300 dpi), as the original is an over 4GB .psb file:

It's a beautiful playfield, but the scan gets me into a level of view I couldn't see with my own eyes. We
re glad it's going for restoration.

You have such a nice playfield. As others mentioned though 1200 dpi is not real. Just use the native resolution of that scanner which is 600 dpi. You can always donwsample at any time later. Also as someone mentioned, PhotoShop actually does a pretty quick and dirty job when it blends. It makes these odd masks that work great for a photo but are not meant for this kind of work. Let it try, but don't let it merge the file. Delete the masks and fine tune the positioning of the layers manually. One key thing, in PhotoShop use the measure tool to check some dimensions and compare them to the real PF. I bet you will find it is wrong. The factory only allows .050" in the keylines to be misaligned to the playfield before seeing bare wood. If your overall image is off by that or more, you have a problem.

I spend about 3 hours manually aligning things before merging layers. You only have to do this if you need it. Just keep the individual scans.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Thanks! I agree. That's why I'm taking extra pains to protect it and clearcoat it properly.

I hear you on that. I've kept all my original (un-stitched) scans in original TIFF. Too late now to re-scan at 600dpi. Even if 1200dpi isn't real, I believe my master scans are good enough for use, just unnecessarily large.

That was me, for simplicity sake, I merged them. You're right, I could manually adjust...for now I'll just use my merged files for simple viewing. I'll stick to the masters for any actual work I need to do.

The 1200 dpi downsampled to 600 dpi is fine and will save space, no need to rescan. For printing, a really well created 150 dpi print is as good as you need. 300 dpi is plenty. I work at 600 dpi myself but did a whole playfield at 300 because that was the scan I was given and it looks great. 1200 just won't pay off unless you were printing oversized posters of the artwork.

4 months later
#123 5 years ago

I have used the Pinball Pimp stencils as well. I found it was best to do one side at a time so I could peel off the stencil at the right cure point (spray cans though, not automotive). It takes a while to pull the stencil off without part of it laying into fresh paint on you. I also spend quite a while with Naptha and a cue tip sitting on a stable stool touching up any little paint strings that occurred. I would say from spraying to finished with stencil removed is a full hour. In my case, 2-3 light colour coats, maybe 10 minutes cure, and 20 minutes pulling stencil, then cue tip fixes. Even on a head I stopped trying to do both sides in once session.

Honestly I preferred the material from the dreaded Twisted Pins guys but the quality of the cuts are far superior on the Pinball Pimp ones.

4 months later
#518 5 years ago

I have been following this saga for a while now and I recently bought a Future Spa myself. One question I have not seen tried is since we are talking about latching issues, have you tried your simple one socket test with 2 or even 3 incandescents loading down one SCR? Don't do it for long since the SCR won't last but if load and latching is still a concern this would eliminate load level as a thing.

#551 5 years ago

Fascinating possibility, never thought of clock issues. I think the factory clock is really a flip-flop. Does it use electrolytic caps? They would be constantly changing over time.

1 week later
#604 5 years ago

Sounds like we are getting close to pointing at the transformer but its hard to understand how that is possible. Just to eliminate all variables, have you checked the power from the wall outlet?

#610 5 years ago

I almost edited my wall socket question to ask if you had a dimmer somewhere very partially dimmed. I did not think about solar panels. It sounds like you also have standard grid power. Can you just power down your inverter?

#618 5 years ago

Most UPS produce 'Modified Sine' wave output. It is a brute force simplistic waveform that most AC devices tolerate. It won't look at all sinusoidal. It it a square wave with small 0V gaps between the positive and negative going square pulses. A spectral analysis would show lots of spikes at various harmonics

Your inverter may do a better job of simulating a sine wave and a 20 kHz frequency seems typical. You may be able to filter that out with something you plug the machine into. More modern switched power supplies would probably not be bothered by that sort of thing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BJM-Maxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration?tu=BJM-Maxx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.