dbb44982e231efc5df9dce55787f4b1b04ea439b (resized).jpg
6C096C9E-1EEA-4830-9CCE-643A87357CD4 (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg
After.png
Before.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.12.29 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.19.40 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.19.10 AM (resized).png
There are 682 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Here is the video you requested, let me know if it suffices:

Thanks, the video tells the story. You have an open circuit on the signal between the MPU board connector J1 pin 15 and the lamp driver board connector J4 pin 14 (Yellow-Blue wire).

#352 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Thanks, the video tells the story. You have an open circuit between the MPU board connector J1 pin 15 and the lamp driver board connector J4 pin 14 (Yellow-Blue wire).

I've verified that the wire has good continuity between those two points, the pins on both boards are definitely connected. Since the wire (yellow-blue and associated connectors) is not the culprit, what else would cause an open circuit?

#353 5 years ago

Possibly not related, or maybe it's a clue. Switch test comes back with a stuck switch 07 (tilt), even with the playfield disconnected.

#354 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Switch test comes back with a stuck switch 07 (tilt)

Yes it might be related - the tilt switch is on the same signal as the one having problems between the MPU board and the lamp driver board. Try what radium mentioned a few posts ago and disconnect J2 (playfield switch harness) and J3 (cabinet switch harness) from the MPU board.

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Yes it might be related - the tilt switch is on the same signal as the one having problems between the MPU board and the lamp driver board. Try what radium mentioned a few posts ago and disconnect J2 (playfield switch harness) and J3 (cabinet switch harness) from the MPU board.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. When both of those are removed, all lamps light up in test. PROGRESS.

Ok, so what does that switch 07/tilt stuck switch tell me about where to look next? Are we thinking there is a short somehow on that wire, or perhaps I soldered something back incorrectly?

#356 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. When both of those are removed, all lamps light up in test. PROGRESS.
Ok, so what does that switch 07/tilt stuck switch tell me about where to look next? Are we thinking there is a short somehow on that wire, or perhaps I soldered something back incorrectly?

Is the switch somehow making contact with ground where it shouldn’t? I’d try isolating it.

#357 5 years ago

check your connections on the switches in the same row as tilt, perhaps a diode leg is making contact where it shouldn't be?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#358 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Is the switch somehow making contact with ground where it shouldn’t? I’d try isolating it.

For crying out loud. This was it. This is embarrassing.

Check out this photo:

IMG_2846.JPGIMG_2846.JPG

Note the tilt bob. Note the mounting screws for the tilt bob ring. Note the ground braid going behind the tilt panel wood.

COME ON. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THAT.

Ok, so my friends, this is how your tilt bob mounting screw can make an insert lamp not light on your playfield.

#359 5 years ago

Now that you have all the major bugs out...
What day do you reckon it will be ready to play?
-mof

#360 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Now that you have all the major bugs out...
What day do you reckon it will be ready to play?
-mof

The next stage is reassembling the playfield topside! We have a few more parts to polish, but that won't take long. A few little tweaks to work out, we'll definitely be doing a reveal this weekend, for sure.

Isn't it nice, seeing all the lamps light up?

IMG_2858.JPGIMG_2858.JPG

No comment on the flippers, we haven't adjusted them yet.

#361 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

For crying out loud. This was it. This is embarrassing.
Check out this photo:
[quoted image]
Note the tilt bob. Note the mounting screws for the tilt bob ring. Note the ground braid going behind the tilt panel wood.
COME ON. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THAT.
Ok, so my friends, this is how your tilt bob mounting screw can make an insert lamp not light on your playfield.

Two words.
Clear tubing
Project is looking great.

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Two words.
Clear tubing
Project is looking great.

Thanks! We put clear heat shrink (though I think going forward, we'll use tubing, as it's easier to remove) on one switch lug on most switches. I can't believe the mounting screw poked microscopically into the ground braid behind that board. So embarrassing. I got lazy and used a screw 1/8" longer than the other.

#363 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Thanks! We put clear heat shrink (though I think going forward, we'll use tubing, as it's easier to remove) on one switch lug on most switches. I can't believe the mounting screw poked microscopically into the ground braid behind that board. So embarrassing. I got lazy and used a screw 1/8" longer than the other.

Yes I was referencing the tilt bob bare wire because thought I see it touching the ring. It is a common cause of false tilts and shorts on these games as well.
That issue you ran into with the braid path is just one of those crazy things on this era.
The good thing is every time you experience something like that you learn to look for it immediately in the future and your knowledge base grows so the time wasted troubleshooting decreases.

I have had games sit here for a couple extra weeks in the past troubleshooting the simplest issues but those issues just were not on my radar at that time.

#364 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Yes I was referencing the tilt bob bare wire because thought I see it touching the ring. It is a common cause of false tilts and shorts on these games as well.

Ha! No you are seeing that correctly. I haven’t even gotten to ACTUAL stuck switches yet! LOL. Great idea on the tubing! We are on it. As usual, sage advice. You have what we call in my business (tech) “institutional memory.” Companies have none of this wisdom because they aren’t human. Humans often don’t have it because responsibilities are too distributed and people change jobs. Once in a rare while, you get someone who does a great job long enough...

#365 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Great find!
BTW, depending on the height of the plumb bob do you notice when you move it to the left it doesn't reach the ring? I find the bottom of the plumb bob hits the wood panel preventing contact with the metal ring. I usually put a 3mm spacer at the top and bottom of the plumb bob assembly to correct it.

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

BTW, depending on the height of the plumb bob do you notice when you move it to the left it doesn't reach the ring? I find the bottom of the plumb bob hits the wood panel preventing contact with the metal ring. I usually put a 3mm spacer at the top and bottom of the plumb bob assembly to correct it.

Good catch, I'll definitely check the plumb bob out when I get a chance.

We spent most of this afternoon with a dremel drilling out the clear around the holes. I don't know what you all feel about the Kruzman kit/method (superglue and all), but after we had one halo around a guide pin, we didn't hesitate to start dremeling. This playfield is definitely cured (passes the sniff test), but honestly I don't think waiting longer stops halos. I can see why most people don't even notice them. Think about it: When you screw into a playfield, even into an existing hole, there is a reasonable chance the threads aren't going to align perfectly, and are going to slightly push up the clear around a hole (less true around a bolt that goes into a t-nut). Sometimes it doesn't matter, because what is going there is a star post or something with a much wider diameter than a halo. However, most holes needed some cleaning anyway for posts to go through, so we might as well do the whole thing.

For anyone interested, Kruzman discusses this here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-clear-install-kit-is-a-life-saver

#367 5 years ago

Well stick a fork in her...

213A51C9-5185-4F93-B5F2-1E2DE82FD262.jpeg213A51C9-5185-4F93-B5F2-1E2DE82FD262.jpeg

#368 5 years ago

Wow! That looks amazing!

#369 5 years ago

Looks great. It’s so funny how vibrant the colors are on this compared to my game.

#370 5 years ago

Playfield fits, getting closer:

IMG_3019.JPGIMG_3019.JPG

My son finding more bugs:

IMG_3016.JPGIMG_3016.JPG

We're getting there, still plenty to do. These bugs are weird. Why would hitting the 2nd drop target make the game tilt?!

#371 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Why would hitting the 2nd drop target make the game tilt?!

The answer is probably that one of the coin switches is stuck, and combining that with the 2nd drop target causes tilt to register. Thank you Internet. I'll see if I'm right tomorrow.

#372 5 years ago

I was wrong. The tilt issue when hitting 2nd drop target was caused by a stuck spinner switch. Now neither 2nd or 3rd drop target registers hits. Slowly but surely...Feel free to throw suggestions as I expose this stuff.

Also, new thing we discovered, hitting the "E" rollover triggers the "U" and "R" next to it to trigger as well. All of those switches are on the same column, but it's only the two next to the E that trigger. Maddening!

#373 5 years ago

Ok friends, I could use some experience solving some mysteries, but let's start with what should be an easier one.

The switch test claims there is a stuck coin switch. It's not stuck. This is with the playfield switches unplugged.

I spent a bunch of time going back and forth between the wiring, the schematics, and what's online. There also were some written notes in the switch matrix in my hard copy manual that were not in the IPDB version. This, in the end, is what I came up with:

future_spa_wiring_info.pngfuture_spa_wiring_info.png

Note the items in RED were written in by someone.

A few things here. First off, when I trace the actual wiring, it corresponds to the cabinet matrix information I placed below. It's not much of a cabinet matrix, really, I'm just trying to put it all together. What I don't understand why the coin switches, credit reset and slam appear in both matrixes according to these written notes? Am I misunderstanding how this works?

Secondly, should the self test button return have continuity to ground? It works fine, but I feel like I should ask that question.

#374 5 years ago

Complicating matters more, when the playfield switches are unplugged from the MPU, it reports the tilt is the stuck switch.

#375 5 years ago

...just noticed my coin door switches have no diodes. That doesn't seem right, if they are on the matrix...?

#376 5 years ago

Just check the schematics. Not every switch needs a diode.

Yves

#377 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Just check the schematics. Not every switch needs a diode.
Yves

That’s the thing. As you can see above, the coin switches are listed both in the cab wiring, the playfield switch matrix, and the cabinet wiring schematic. In the switch matrix, there are diodes:

CC42F394-61FD-4DB5-BDB1-5F0799481345 (resized).jpegCC42F394-61FD-4DB5-BDB1-5F0799481345 (resized).jpeg

In the wiring diagram, they do not:

84960AF4-FD39-404C-BAAD-CE6A7C919C68 (resized).jpeg84960AF4-FD39-404C-BAAD-CE6A7C919C68 (resized).jpeg

So which is it? If they do, do use use the middle lug?

#378 5 years ago

I’ve checked my photos of the original switches, no diodes.

They also appeared to be “normally closed.” Can someone verify that? You can see I’m this photo how I’ve got it wired:

63163056-118B-49B7-9C03-0390E6CB6111 (resized).jpeg63163056-118B-49B7-9C03-0390E6CB6111 (resized).jpeg

#379 5 years ago

For the record, this is the wiring that worked and cleared the stuck switch issues:

8C66375D-710D-4D38-A422-58F5AC5C9C64.jpeg8C66375D-710D-4D38-A422-58F5AC5C9C64.jpeg

I have no idea if the diode is necessary (it wasn’t in the original wiring), and the switches are now N.O., but it cleared everything up. On to debugging mechanical (gate barely moves and have to adjust the flippers).

#380 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

For the record, this is the wiring that worked and cleared the stuck switch issues:
[quoted image]
I have no idea if the diode is necessary (it wasn’t in the original wiring), and the switches are now N.O., but it cleared everything up. On to debugging mechanical (gate barely moves and have to adjust the flippers).

I dont know if this applies, but there are tons of errors on schematics. Most have been documented. This might be a new one.

#381 5 years ago

Yep, Bally has lots of errors in the switch matrix charts.

Tons of caps missing in the chart, but clearly installed at the factory

#382 5 years ago

Everything now works!

F74304B3-2F2B-4344-A829-2496B9FCE693.jpegF74304B3-2F2B-4344-A829-2496B9FCE693.jpeg

Now for fine tuning. @vid1900, any tips for lining up flippers? We feel like we have it just right, then something settled, and you lose your precision:

A00935BB-278A-4B5B-943C-5E37C3C21E64.jpegA00935BB-278A-4B5B-943C-5E37C3C21E64.jpeg

There must be a better technique.

Just a few more final bits then we will put the backglass back together. (It better fit.)

#383 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Now for fine tuning. vid1900, any tips for lining up flippers? We feel like we have it just right, then something settled, and you lose your precision:

There should be a little indent in the playfield that aligns to the tip of the flipper.

If that is lost under the clear coat, then take a length of square tubular steel, or a 1x1x12" length of straight wood and align the flippers straight with the wire guides

iklkkkndex (resized).jpgiklkkkndex (resized).jpg
#384 5 years ago

I tighten the pawl until it starts to grab the flipper but it still can be moved firmly

Now it stays place enough after adjustment to tighten fully.

Make sure the flipper plungers are perfectly Inline with the coils and sleeves.

The gap above between bat and playfield should be present and not allow the bat to drag on the surface.

Make sure no debris in the sleeves or on the stops.

#385 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There should be a little indent in the playfield that aligns to the tip of the flipper.
If that is lost under the clear coat, then take a length of square tubular steel, or a 1x1x12" length of straight wood and align the flippers straight with the wire guides[quoted image]

I find that the wire guides (these are the guides to the left and right of the flippers, leading the ball to the flipper) have a little bend in them from the factory right before it hits the flipper. This makes the ball do a little "pop" right before it hits (or maybe it's my imagination). I'm not sure if that's the goal with that, so I left that as is for now.

I've been using a straight edge with some microfiber cloth around it to avoid scratching the playfield. I put this along the wire guide, and get the flipper perfectly aligned. Then I tighten. Then I lower the playfield, and I swear to you, it moves. I'm sure this is everyone's experience! Something about the play in the flipper as it's being tightened. Anyway, we'll get it closer!

#386 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I find that the wire guides (these are the guides to the left and right of the flippers, leading the ball to the flipper) have a little bend in them from the factory right before it hits the flipper. This makes the ball do a little "pop" right before it hits (or maybe it's my imagination). I'm not sure if that's the goal with that, so I left that as is for now.

Slide the ball along manually, if the ball clicks across the wire guide leg, the wire is too high above the the playfield surface

#387 5 years ago

New cards and stickers.

A6BF30E8-1BC5-4EEB-9D5E-B665463BC1E1.jpegA6BF30E8-1BC5-4EEB-9D5E-B665463BC1E1.jpeg

#388 5 years ago

Almost finished. We've been chasing down one last glitch here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club/page/25#post-4613339

Let us know if any of you have any thoughts on this one. It's driving us crazy.

#389 5 years ago

Still glitch chasing. Never thought I'd be using an o-scope on this project.

#390 5 years ago

Taking the hunt for the controlled lamp glitch out of the Bally/Stern AS-2518 Club so I stop hijacking the topic. If you want the full history of this hunt you can find it here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club/page/25#post-4613339

Anyway, Quench ... picking up where we left off.

Quoted from Quench:

What were your hands touching when this happened?

I had my probe on SCR Q11 and was recording the waveform. This was on the Alltek LDB.

Quoted from Quench:

Does wiggling the J4 connector at the LDB change anything?

I've tried wiggling, squeezing, jiggling, twisting. Nothing changes anything. I know I wasn't moving the connectors around. It's almost like touching the gate pin with the probe somehow reduced the noise or something.

Quoted from Quench:

You can see from the snapshots of the gate pin playing up that the decoder tries to switch the gate on (where you see those skinny spikes) but for some reason cancels/fails before the SCR gate has reached switch on voltage.
Are you getting good 5V power and ground to the LDB through the J4 connector?

That's a good question. Let's talk about that. The test points test fine (I'll test again to be certain), but how do I really check for the power and ground to be clean?

#391 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

New cards and stickers.
[quoted image]

Nice looking cards....
Where did you find them or did you create them yourself?
I have the left ones on your table on my website too:
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Bally/Bally_Future_Spa_backbox_cards.zip
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Bally/Bally_SS-series_M-469-1133-2_Threshold_Adjustment.zip

Peter

#392 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Nice looking cards....
Where did you find them or did you create them yourself?
I have the left ones on your table on my website too:
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Bally/Bally_Future_Spa_backbox_cards.zip
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Bally/Bally_SS-series_M-469-1133-2_Threshold_Adjustment.zip
Peter

Peter, lol, these are ALL your cards. You linked me to them! Also, everyone, donate to Peter's site, he does a ton for the community.

I downloaded your cards, and I edited the to match the originals where they needed it...I print them on retro paper and then I use a Xyron Creative Station to laminate them.

#393 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

The test points test fine (I'll test again to be certain), but how do I really check for the power and ground to be clean?

It was more a general question of whether you have good connectivity of power to the LDB.
What DC voltages do you measure at TP5 on the MPU board, TP1 on the LDB and TP1 on the SDB with your multimeter? These are all the 5V logic power rail.

Where are you connecting the earth lead of the oscilloscope probe? I presume it's the same place you connect the black lead of your multimeter when measuring voltages? Do you read zero volts between the ground points on all the boards and chassis earth braids?

BTW, thanks for the considered response in the other thread about moving your issue back here.

#394 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

What DC voltages do you measure at TP5 on the MPU board, TP1 on the LDB and TP1 on the SDB with your multimeter?

Alltek MPU TP4 is 4.98vdc.
Alltek MPU TP5 (VMA) is 2.79vdc
Alltek LDB TP1 os 5.02vdc
Alltek SDB TP1 is 238vdc

Quoted from Quench:

Where are you connecting the earth lead of the oscilloscope probe? I presume it's the same place you connect the black lead of your multimeter when measuring voltages?

I touch it to the ground braid in the backbox floor, which we re-ran and confirmed during the restoration has proper continuity to ground.

Quoted from Quench:

Do you read zero volts between the ground points on all the boards and chassis earth braids?

MPU: .002vdc
LDB: .007vdc
SDB: .009vdc

Back to your first point:

Quoted from Quench:

It was more a general question of whether you have good connectivity of power to the LDB.

We know the SCR doesn't go fully on during lamp test when this problem presents itself. What I wonder about is could noise on the ground or something weird about voltage going to the board result in this behavior on just one or two SCRs!? Wouldn't it effect all of them?

What I like about this theory/direction is that it explains why it would happen to both LDB boards. The only thing that feeds those two LDB boards are the signals from the MPU and the power and ground. We know it's not related to the cabinet and playfield harnesses, it happens when everything else is disconnected...So it must be related to J2 or J3. There are no other options. If J2 is the cause and the MPU isn't broken, it must be a connector or wiring issue. If J3 is the cause, it must be power or ground. What else comes into J3?

One other thing: We replaced the line filter on this game with a new one. That's another thing that changed since we tore it down. Could a line filter cause this somehow?

Quoted from Quench:

BTW, thanks for the considered response in the other thread about moving your issue back here.

No problem. I was getting a little self conscious about how much we were hijacking that topic...Though honestly to get folks like you helping it's the right place to go. We are so grateful!

...and just to answer @robotworkshop:

Quoted from Robotworkshop:

What do the plugs look like in the backbox? On some of the Bally games there are some small 12 pin connections that you can disconnect if you take off the back box. Those can be mixed up and in some cases the lights still work but not how you'd expect. Double check the wire color codes on all the loose hanging connections in case a set got mixed up.

Double checked, although we've tested this with ALL those cables disconnected and still get that SCR not fully turning on, on both MPUs and both LDBs.

#395 5 years ago

This thread is fascinating. Not only are restorations or this quality always fun to watch, but the debugging and thought process here is really incredible.

#396 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

This thread is fascinating. Not only are restorations or this quality always fun to watch, but the debugging and thought process here is really incredible.

Thank you for saying that! It’s really all about my son and I bonding over this process. Today is the day we bring this machine from our garage to our home, after ten months of work. It really brings me to tears! Just a couple more things to work out.

#397 5 years ago

Quench the Alltek LDB also has these test points:

8C286B69-6938-4891-8675-2E24B1E58E42.jpeg8C286B69-6938-4891-8675-2E24B1E58E42.jpeg

Are they of value in this process at all?

#398 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Thank you for saying that! It’s really all about my son and I bonding over this process. Today is the day we bring this machine from our garage to our home, after ten months of work. It really brings me to tears! Just a couple more things to work out.

There is something about craft that stands the test of time. You’ve made something that you’ll be proud of for years to come. In a world where things change so rapidly, it’s nice to have things that are more monumental and lasting.

#399 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

quench the Alltek LDB also has these test points:
Are they of value in this process at all?

Noted, I was going to ask you to take waveforms of those yesterday, but the last scans you did are showing the SCR is being selected but for whatever reason not latching. So we can presume that the lamp data, address and strobe signals from the MPU board are ok.

Let's backtrack for a moment. On the other thread you mentioned this:

Quoted from jsa:

I want to duplicate yours, but I can't seem to pull that off. I can't fit 2ms/division time base on a single screen. Are your playfield lamps connected to the LDB when you do the recording? My noise gets lower when I do.

What do you mean about your noise getting lower? There shouldn't be any to begin with.
I see you're using an Alltek Solenoid driver board. I believe their 5 volt power is a switch mode power supply (SMPS) which operates at high frequency and can generate noise.
So, have you got a Bally solenoid driver board you can try - their 5 volts is generated by a "linear" regulator which doesn't generate any high frequency noise.

Quoted from jsa:

Ok switched back to the Alltek (the Bally was "free floating" in my backbox) and we're back to just Q14 doing that.

Isn't this telling us something? When you say "free floating", do you mean not screwed down?

Quoted from jsa:

One other thing: We replaced the line filter on this game with a new one. That's another thing that changed since we tore it down. Could a line filter cause this somehow?

I don't imagine so.

One other thing, I think you mentioned earlier at some point that when the game gets warm less lamps flicker. Have you tried using a hair drier to work out what item being heated is affecting the flicker?

Quoted from jsa:

So it must be related to J2 or J3. There are no other options. If J2 is the cause and the MPU isn't broken, it must be a connector or wiring issue. If J3 is the cause, it must be power or ground. What else comes into J3?

Sorry which board J2 and J3 you're referring to?

#400 5 years ago

Dumb question, but do you have the screw or wing nut attaching the head ground to the body ground tight?

Resto-04-1kk-big (resized).jpgResto-04-1kk-big (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

There are 682 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration/page/8?hl=arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.