All the harnesses (save the playfield harness, which will come later) have had all their box connectors replaced and wires re-terminated/pinned.
I'm guessing that everyone doesn't do this. This is a tedious process. Maybe there is a faster way to do it, but if so, I haven't figured it out. It took the better part of two days.
Some lessons learned:
- You don't have enough trifurcon connectors, ever. Order hundreds.
- Once we inspected closely, there is corrosion on everything, despite everything appearing great condition on the surface. Dishwashing the harness actually didn't change that, just made everything but the metal itself super shiny. Given the burnt connectors, I think I'm now in agreement with high_end_pins that you just have to redo all of these.
- We used 08-52-0113 trifurcons for most of the .156 connections, and 45570-3050 trifurcons ("box" style) for anything we knew were higher amperage. That's probably overkill. I'm not sure I'd bother with the 45570-3050's again. When you order rebuild kits, you usually get the regular nylon box connectors anyway, which you can't use with the 45570-3050's. Fortunately we mostly had the larger/more robust box connectors as we didn't order kits.
- We used 08-52-0123 trifurcons for most of the .100 connections. The only exception was on a 28 pin connector where we used the TE/Amp version.
- TE/Amp trifurcons are really cool and look/feel more solid. Sorry, just saying what I'm seeing. I may switch to those in the future...though the Molex crimping tool is easier to use.
This did give me a chance to correct previous hacks and band-aids. It also exposed me to some problem areas that will help later when this gets reassembled.