(Topic ID: 85150)

Future Spa Club - Come on in the water is warm!

By Xenon75

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 190 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 days ago by Outsidedge
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 64 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DFAAE2A6-8C2C-4AA3-A8B0-9E6259B25E37 (resized).jpeg
inside_future_spa.gif
BC430D09-E271-481E-BD98-8D83F2B08CF9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7770 (resized).PNG
DSCF3618 (resized).JPG
DSCF3612 (resized).JPG
FutureSpa_SwitchMatrix_PF.jpg
IMG_7587 (resized).JPG
20180508_165913 (resized).jpg
IMG_6782 (resized).JPG
IMG_6756 (resized).JPG
27293397-84F5-41C6-9890-743A9D839110 (resized).jpeg
C7F6B714-804A-4BC6-AA73-30583F756C6D (resized).jpeg
42A7BFDE-6DE8-4294-BD44-28B357EC3676 (resized).jpeg
08D4EE5F-7797-4A6D-9A05-7A5BC00D0B05 (resized).jpeg
E354CB70-796F-4DA7-BAE7-35ED728F2799 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jsa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#97 1 year ago

Joining the Future Spa club today. Here is my new addition:

IMG_8878 (resized).JPG

Playfield was a NOS brought into a HUO situation some years ago. Seems to also have new assemblies. I'm new to classic Bally SS so I'm learning in real-time.

Anyone have any idea what the battery with wires soldered into the test pads is about? Is that a thing? (horrified to hear answer)

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

You guys are killing me with the beautiful Spa's! I want one of these so badly I can taste it. And it tastes mighty peculiar, especially the guy with the speedo and wine glass.

I'm more concerned about the dude in the hot tub. Where are his hands?

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

Anyone have any idea what the battery with wires soldered into the test pads is about? Is that a thing? (horrified to hear answer)

This took me a few more moments of thought to figure it out. Battery connectors were removed, wires soldered in place, and then the wires soldered to a NiCad battery. It obviously was keeping the scores and settings, and no corrosion on a board, so someone was protecting it. I mistakenly thought the solder points were test pads.

3 months later
#102 1 year ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Back in the club with the purchase of a decent play field at TPF last week. Unfortunately its missing 7 of the plastics. Does anyone have a decent scan or pictures of the plastics or any old ones (even broken) for sale? The epay prices are a little ridiculous right now and I am one cheap bastard. Thanks for any help!
Shawn

I could scan my plastics...Is there a good way to reproduce? Do you print slide decals and cut your own?

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Pretty much. Well, that's how I did it before. This time I am going to try and have them printed on petg by a local shop and cut them out from there. If you could I would really appreciate it. I only need the smaller bunch. I have the two large upper corner ones and the one that goes down the left side.
Shawn

Ok, I'll PM you with a link to the 600 dpi tiff file. Let me know if it's what you need.

#112 1 year ago
Quoted from Frax:

I have begged for these plastics to be reproduced. If someone will get me quality scans of the plastics, I'd be really interested in taking a look at them and seeing if it's something I could vectorize. I don't have much experience with color separations, so I'd need to talk to Stu or someone more experienced to see what they need on their end to do the job, but lack of art files from a quality source (ie: not a lot of existing damage and hopefully not overly yellowed) is a nut-punch.
If there's not a lot of halftoning in the art, it's probably within my skillset at this point after warming up on my own Voltron stuff, and I'd be much more motivated to work on this project than Voltron, haha.

Anyone who needs the plastic scans I mention above just PM me.

I'm working on my own restoration now. We just stripped the cabinet of paint and are moving into cabinet repair. I chipped off some unfaded pink/red paint and I'll probably go that route for the red.

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I don't remember ever seeing/playing this title back in the day. Looks like a good game. The art on this one is great, but the theme is terrible. Would like to play one someday.

I think what makes it work for me is that the theme is so ridiculous. It's an over-the-top 70's disco Logan's Run ridiculous game. It just happens to be really fun to play on top of it.

1 week later
#117 1 year ago

What color flipper buttons do you all have?

#120 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Logan's Run was the biggest thing back then, literally saving MGM from bankruptcy.

Honestly, the theme brings me back to my childhood, where I remember first playing these games. Arcades and roller rinks with stripes, visions of the future like Logan's Run, carpet on walls (?), a game of Atari pong on a cocktail table in the lobby of a restaurant. We're nostalgic people. This theme is like everything from 1979 all distilled into one game.

My game has white buttons, and they look original. Flyer has red. It's difficult to imagine the red buttons matching the unusual red on the cabinet, more clashy. Thoughts?

3 weeks later
#130 1 year ago
Quoted from mantz88:

I joined the club for $50 last weekend. Lots of cleaning, and lots more cleaning in my future. Some parts are arriving today. I'm excited to see what happens when I finally get to hit that power switch.

Super curious about those inserts. Is there some kind of corrosion/build up over the black lettering for the letters in FUTURE?

1 week later
#146 1 year ago
Quoted from Thorzhammer88:

I hear this is where the cool kids hang out.
Recently purchased a Future Spa, and have been spending a lot of my free time troubleshooting/restoring. Not quite up-and-running, but getting pretty close.
I'm actually getting to the point where I need to gather supplies for the cabinet restoration, and am in search of some leads on stencils to re-spray. If anyone has some instructional help on replacing the backglass with a hi-res vinyl print on a new pane of glass, I'd welcome that too.
Thanks in advance!

My son and I are in mid-restoration of our Future Spa. We purchased these stencils:

http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=2036

We've been told these are the best out there. We're almost ready to start painting, so we'll let you know.

As for the backglass, there are a number of threads here on making reproduction backglasses, translites or hybrids. Some are more sophisticated than others. YMMV. What's the status of yours?

5 months later
#167 11 months ago

Hey Future Spa fans. I have a favor to ask. I need you all to turn on your Future Spas for a few minutes and check something out.

Ignoring the fact that I have the background music turned off for this test, when you turn on your Future Spa, during the boot up sequence and sound effects, does it sound like this one:

Or does it sound like this one:

Pay particular attention to the boot up sound, when a game is started and the pop bumper effects.

Thanks for your help!

#169 11 months ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Mine definitely sounds like the first one with the original board. The second one is off on the boot up and the pop effects when playing sound too fast.

Almost every video I've found online sounds like the original board. I only found one video, this one, that sounded similar to the alternate board, but even this one wasn't as fast:

I'm super curious to hear other people's comparisons.

#172 11 months ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Mine definitely sounds like the first one with the original board. The second one is off on the boot up and the pop effects when playing sound too fast.

Quoted from supermoot:

Mine sounds like the first one.

Quoted from JethroP:

Mine sounds like the first video. I think if you remove the background sound from the third video it sounds like the first video.

Thanks for making the comparisons for me everyone. You're confirming what I already suspected, that the sound board in the second video is playing some effects too quickly.

I'm going to move the sound board into other games of that era and see if it does the same thing in an obvious way and report back to the folks who make the board. Thanks again for all your help! Back to playing Future Spa...

#174 11 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have a Future Spa that I bought that is in pretty good working order except I discovered a really strange issue. The yellow stand up target at the back of the four drops has stopped working. It seemed to have trouble from the get go but it worked once in a while. Now it no longer works. Note that all the drops and the stand up happen to be on the same switch matrix strobe.
Here are the symptoms:
- all drops and stand up work (one at a time) in switch test
- any combination of two targets down, touching the stand up works.
- if three are down, the stand up stops working, except one combination 1,2,4 down, that one the stand up works.
- all four down, the stand up does not work
I tried changing the diode on the 3rd drop since is seemed to be a common problem but no luck.
Hopefully someone has an idea what this is.
Every other part of the game plays properly.

I found I had some similar issues when other switches on the same column or row were stuck. For example, if the spinner is stuck, or the tilt bob has a short, this could cause odd behavior of the stand up targets.

Secondly, if you had some good photography of your switch wiring, we could compare to a working game just to be sure.

4 months later
#185 7 months ago

The secret life inside your Future Spa.

inside_future_spa.gif

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wien, WIEN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jsa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside