(Topic ID: 85150)

Future Spa Club - Come on in the water is warm!

By Xenon75

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231228_222007 (resized).jpg
20231228_214230 (resized).jpg
20231228_205429 (resized).jpg
20231228_200818 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 10.14.20 AM (resized).png
6A080666-3BD5-49B0-BCD3-9F3E52B20E0C (resized).jpeg
641EB49B-783E-4D79-AA2F-FB38362BF658 (resized).jpeg
117D74B4-5291-4DBA-82FD-26BD63872055 (resized).jpeg
68AA2963-2259-467E-AA30-3A48F1212646 (resized).jpeg
FE29CE2C-C0CC-4448-907A-48E0C6071C57 (resized).jpeg
BDD091B3-7AD4-4C41-B6E9-A2C74F98E640 (resized).jpeg
8DF650EA-73F8-423F-93B9-9340E21BB215 (resized).jpeg
5AFC1F58-1A83-48EE-81AA-25E533CC30E1 (resized).jpeg
35B760E5-81C2-496D-933D-05B763AB47D2 (resized).jpeg
792947F2-F0A1-43EA-A71C-52E72F4EDF02 (resized).jpeg
DCDF2F83-AB97-403B-BF56-1F75732A8946 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jsa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#97 6 years ago

Joining the Future Spa club today. Here is my new addition:

IMG_8878 (resized).JPGIMG_8878 (resized).JPG

Playfield was a NOS brought into a HUO situation some years ago. Seems to also have new assemblies. I'm new to classic Bally SS so I'm learning in real-time.

Anyone have any idea what the battery with wires soldered into the test pads is about? Is that a thing? (horrified to hear answer)

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

You guys are killing me with the beautiful Spa's! I want one of these so badly I can taste it. And it tastes mighty peculiar, especially the guy with the speedo and wine glass.

I'm more concerned about the dude in the hot tub. Where are his hands?

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Anyone have any idea what the battery with wires soldered into the test pads is about? Is that a thing? (horrified to hear answer)

This took me a few more moments of thought to figure it out. Battery connectors were removed, wires soldered in place, and then the wires soldered to a NiCad battery. It obviously was keeping the scores and settings, and no corrosion on a board, so someone was protecting it. I mistakenly thought the solder points were test pads.

3 months later
#102 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Back in the club with the purchase of a decent play field at TPF last week. Unfortunately its missing 7 of the plastics. Does anyone have a decent scan or pictures of the plastics or any old ones (even broken) for sale? The epay prices are a little ridiculous right now and I am one cheap bastard. Thanks for any help!
Shawn

I could scan my plastics...Is there a good way to reproduce? Do you print slide decals and cut your own?

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Pretty much. Well, that's how I did it before. This time I am going to try and have them printed on petg by a local shop and cut them out from there. If you could I would really appreciate it. I only need the smaller bunch. I have the two large upper corner ones and the one that goes down the left side.
Shawn

Ok, I'll PM you with a link to the 600 dpi tiff file. Let me know if it's what you need.

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I have begged for these plastics to be reproduced. If someone will get me quality scans of the plastics, I'd be really interested in taking a look at them and seeing if it's something I could vectorize. I don't have much experience with color separations, so I'd need to talk to Stu or someone more experienced to see what they need on their end to do the job, but lack of art files from a quality source (ie: not a lot of existing damage and hopefully not overly yellowed) is a nut-punch.
If there's not a lot of halftoning in the art, it's probably within my skillset at this point after warming up on my own Voltron stuff, and I'd be much more motivated to work on this project than Voltron, haha.

Anyone who needs the plastic scans I mention above just PM me.

I'm working on my own restoration now. We just stripped the cabinet of paint and are moving into cabinet repair. I chipped off some unfaded pink/red paint and I'll probably go that route for the red.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I don't remember ever seeing/playing this title back in the day. Looks like a good game. The art on this one is great, but the theme is terrible. Would like to play one someday.

I think what makes it work for me is that the theme is so ridiculous. It's an over-the-top 70's disco Logan's Run ridiculous game. It just happens to be really fun to play on top of it.

1 week later
#117 6 years ago

What color flipper buttons do you all have?

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Logan's Run was the biggest thing back then, literally saving MGM from bankruptcy.

Honestly, the theme brings me back to my childhood, where I remember first playing these games. Arcades and roller rinks with stripes, visions of the future like Logan's Run, carpet on walls (?), a game of Atari pong on a cocktail table in the lobby of a restaurant. We're nostalgic people. This theme is like everything from 1979 all distilled into one game.

My game has white buttons, and they look original. Flyer has red. It's difficult to imagine the red buttons matching the unusual red on the cabinet, more clashy. Thoughts?

3 weeks later
#130 5 years ago
Quoted from mantz88:

I joined the club for $50 last weekend. Lots of cleaning, and lots more cleaning in my future. Some parts are arriving today. I'm excited to see what happens when I finally get to hit that power switch.

Super curious about those inserts. Is there some kind of corrosion/build up over the black lettering for the letters in FUTURE?

1 week later
#146 5 years ago
Quoted from Thorzhammer88:

I hear this is where the cool kids hang out.
Recently purchased a Future Spa, and have been spending a lot of my free time troubleshooting/restoring. Not quite up-and-running, but getting pretty close.
I'm actually getting to the point where I need to gather supplies for the cabinet restoration, and am in search of some leads on stencils to re-spray. If anyone has some instructional help on replacing the backglass with a hi-res vinyl print on a new pane of glass, I'd welcome that too.
Thanks in advance!

My son and I are in mid-restoration of our Future Spa. We purchased these stencils:

http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=2036

We've been told these are the best out there. We're almost ready to start painting, so we'll let you know.

As for the backglass, there are a number of threads here on making reproduction backglasses, translites or hybrids. Some are more sophisticated than others. YMMV. What's the status of yours?

5 months later
#167 5 years ago

Hey Future Spa fans. I have a favor to ask. I need you all to turn on your Future Spas for a few minutes and check something out.

Ignoring the fact that I have the background music turned off for this test, when you turn on your Future Spa, during the boot up sequence and sound effects, does it sound like this one:

Or does it sound like this one:

Pay particular attention to the boot up sound, when a game is started and the pop bumper effects.

Thanks for your help!

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Mine definitely sounds like the first one with the original board. The second one is off on the boot up and the pop effects when playing sound too fast.

Almost every video I've found online sounds like the original board. I only found one video, this one, that sounded similar to the alternate board, but even this one wasn't as fast:

I'm super curious to hear other people's comparisons.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Mine definitely sounds like the first one with the original board. The second one is off on the boot up and the pop effects when playing sound too fast.

Quoted from supermoot:

Mine sounds like the first one.

Quoted from JethroP:

Mine sounds like the first video. I think if you remove the background sound from the third video it sounds like the first video.

Thanks for making the comparisons for me everyone. You're confirming what I already suspected, that the sound board in the second video is playing some effects too quickly.

I'm going to move the sound board into other games of that era and see if it does the same thing in an obvious way and report back to the folks who make the board. Thanks again for all your help! Back to playing Future Spa...

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have a Future Spa that I bought that is in pretty good working order except I discovered a really strange issue. The yellow stand up target at the back of the four drops has stopped working. It seemed to have trouble from the get go but it worked once in a while. Now it no longer works. Note that all the drops and the stand up happen to be on the same switch matrix strobe.
Here are the symptoms:
- all drops and stand up work (one at a time) in switch test
- any combination of two targets down, touching the stand up works.
- if three are down, the stand up stops working, except one combination 1,2,4 down, that one the stand up works.
- all four down, the stand up does not work
I tried changing the diode on the 3rd drop since is seemed to be a common problem but no luck.
Hopefully someone has an idea what this is.
Every other part of the game plays properly.

I found I had some similar issues when other switches on the same column or row were stuck. For example, if the spinner is stuck, or the tilt bob has a short, this could cause odd behavior of the stand up targets.

Secondly, if you had some good photography of your switch wiring, we could compare to a working game just to be sure.

4 months later
#185 5 years ago

The secret life inside your Future Spa.

inside_future_spa.gifinside_future_spa.gif

7 months later
#195 4 years ago

The game is hard. I've been playing with @sfbrian at my house today and watching him use his mad skills on it. It's great because it's challenging.

The extra out lane really forces you to move the table, as does the break in the right in lane, which I completely suck at.

1 year later
#288 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Ministry of Pinball is out of stock of their apron decal. Has anyone found another source? Also does anyone know of a good off the shelf color match spray paint for the apron?

Let me save you some time: You can't match the original deep red Bally apron using a latex style paint, or even an automotive paint. Therefore, my strong recommendation is to choose a red you like, like burgundy red, and use that.

If I were to ever do it again, I would probably scan my old one, photoshop some decals, and print water-slide decals to go over latex or automotive paint, then clear the whole thing like HEP does it.

If you want to see how I ended up matching it (and broke some painting best practice doing so), here is where I started on my restoration:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration/page/3#post-4466832

#290 3 years ago

You’re welcome and thanks! I was just playing it today.

1 week later
#293 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Anything wrong with this setup? My gate isn’t working properly and when I pulled up the playfield the arm was hanging off the pin. I put it back but gate is still not working.
[quoted image]

In my setup, which was a factory crate, it had this unwired switch inserted on the metal bracket, which served as additional spring tension to push on it from the other side. Here's what mine looked like when I finally got it adjusted properly.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 5.56.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-10 at 5.56.21 PM (resized).png

10 months later
#329 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Thanks, just finished bringing it back from the dead. New Alltek CPU, new sound board, rebuilt high voltage for the displays and rebuilt the power supply. Cleaned, rebuilt flippers, repaired minor issues and added LEDs. Plays fast and fun.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great work. This game is worthy of this kind of love.

fs.jpgfs.jpg

1 month later
#340 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Any ideas for where to score new plastics? I want to restore my game for years now but no plastics.

I wonder if you wouldn't have a better experience crafting them. I believe I made some high quality scans of the plastics I got in a NOS playfield assembly somewhere if you ever need them, I can look.

I suppose that's got to be a thing people do...?

#342 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I would definitely be interested in scans if you have them please!

DM'ing you.

7 months later
#355 1 year ago

I chose to do this before the stencils.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration/page/2#post-4428719

This being said, I also was perfectly good with stencil edges.

#358 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

That looks really good, I made a little tool to do the splatter with from metal bristles.
I bought metallic gold for mine and watered it right down to get it as fiat as possible, the big drops are my first attempt just needed to shake a bit more off for smaller. Just need to test it on some paint to make sure it sticks good.
[quoted image][quoted image]

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I used a metal bristle brush, and I would "flick" my thumb across the bristles and splatter it that way. It's my understanding that in the factory, they used a HVLP gun set to really low pressure to splatter. I'm not sure if that's true, maybe someone can confirm.

#360 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Yep that’s how I tried it, just looked at your restore and wow amazing job and a lot of work.
Doing mine out of Rust-oleum cans luckily I found some spray caps that I could put on that give a high output fan pattern as the original caps were terrible.
I am now doubting the splatter will stick to the white once the stencils get pulled without clear coat over them, I don’t really want to do that so will have to do some testing. I have sprayed cars years ago so pretty good with a gun,can, polishing etc but want to keep it simple.

I think that should work fine. The clear coat is best for sanding between coats to smooth it all out, but that's a major process and takes way too long. Consider in the factory how little time they spent on that part...

Those automotive paints, on the other hand, do dry in five minutes. Unfortunately also inside your lungs.

#363 1 year ago

That the spirit! The game deserves to be played.

https://sv.scorbit.io/viewer/leaderboards/251

2 weeks later
#375 1 year ago

This is looking fantastic, @lostcause!

I pull the stencils within a few minutes of application, but I was using automotive paints. I worried that if I left the stencils on I might not get them off.
I used a tweezers and just took my time.

I remember the tiny "floating" elements of the stencil to be the most difficult to make work. There was always something that got messed up, but you can fix it later.

1 month later
#394 1 year ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I uploaded an annotated version of the video to make things more clear. I will add some explanations here as well

This is super impressive work, @bjm-maxx. Can you explain a bit more about how you implement this on the electronics/physical side?

#396 1 year ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

It is really easy. Dick Hamill wrote an operating system that runs on an Arduino board. An adapter PCB lets it sit right on the J5 Diagnostic port on your existing MPU card. There is a really long thread here for the technical details. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-m6800-in-a-stern-mpu100-with-an-arduino
To get the hardware pre-loaded with a game you can just go here, https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball and order the correct game. Beyond Future Spa is still being developed so I have not released code yet.
I have done a new version of Eight Ball called Eight Ball Plus, you can go to that thread to see the updates I made there. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-plus-new-rules-for-bally-eight-ball
Currently I am working on a Future Spa equivalent to the Eight Ball Plus' 15 ball mode.

That's all fantastic. As we release our integrated Scorbit features in retrofit boards, we should also create a hook to pull these modes to display in real-time on the ScorbitVision and app displays. We're already doing this with existing ROMs in the lab, so it's a natural extension.

Well, that and I want to try this in my Future Spa.

1 month later
#408 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Cab has finally cured and like enamel hard, fitted all parts back on the cab. Had to use slightly larger spiral nails on the side trim so widened the holes and went in well and tight.
Have some nos caps and targets coming, I already bought the set from Marco but nos ones look better as finer lines in print.
Starting on playfield next week, needs some cleaning, touch ups, new lamps, flippers rebuilding and any sleeves etc. Will be putting a playfield protector on as has cupped inserts.
Nearly there![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I love that you have a FS, BoP, and Robo War together, which is the lineup at the Scorbit Lab.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jsa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-club-come-on-in-the-water-is-warm?tu=jsa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.