(Topic ID: 85150)

Future Spa Club - Come on in the water is warm!

By Xenon75

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231228_222007 (resized).jpg
20231228_214230 (resized).jpg
20231228_205429 (resized).jpg
20231228_200818 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 10.14.20 AM (resized).png
6A080666-3BD5-49B0-BCD3-9F3E52B20E0C (resized).jpeg
641EB49B-783E-4D79-AA2F-FB38362BF658 (resized).jpeg
117D74B4-5291-4DBA-82FD-26BD63872055 (resized).jpeg
68AA2963-2259-467E-AA30-3A48F1212646 (resized).jpeg
FE29CE2C-C0CC-4448-907A-48E0C6071C57 (resized).jpeg
BDD091B3-7AD4-4C41-B6E9-A2C74F98E640 (resized).jpeg
8DF650EA-73F8-423F-93B9-9340E21BB215 (resized).jpeg
5AFC1F58-1A83-48EE-81AA-25E533CC30E1 (resized).jpeg
35B760E5-81C2-496D-933D-05B763AB47D2 (resized).jpeg
792947F2-F0A1-43EA-A71C-52E72F4EDF02 (resized).jpeg
DCDF2F83-AB97-403B-BF56-1F75732A8946 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BJM-Maxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#173 5 years ago

I have a Future Spa that I bought that is in pretty good working order except I discovered a really strange issue. The yellow stand up target at the back of the four drops has stopped working. It seemed to have trouble from the get go but it worked once in a while. Now it no longer works. Note that all the drops and the stand up happen to be on the same switch matrix strobe.

Here are the symptoms:
- all drops and stand up work (one at a time) in switch test
- any combination of two targets down, touching the stand up works.
- if three are down, the stand up stops working, except one combination 1,2,4 down, that one the stand up works.
- all four down, the stand up does not work

I tried changing the diode on the 3rd drop since is seemed to be a common problem but no luck.

Hopefully someone has an idea what this is.

Every other part of the game plays properly.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I found I had some similar issues when other switches on the same column or row were stuck. For example, if the spinner is stuck, or the tilt bob has a short, this could cause odd behavior of the stand up targets.
Secondly, if you had some good photography of your switch wiring, we could compare to a working game just to be sure.

I will get some photos of that area of the machine. Everything looks factory, nobody seems to have messsed with it. I am wondering if a drop switch could short to the drop target frame and cause this issue. The four drops are all attached to a common metal wall. The stand up is right behind the target bank but is not touching the target bank.

2 weeks later
#176 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have a Future Spa that I bought that is in pretty good working order except I discovered a really strange issue. The yellow stand up target at the back of the four drops has stopped working. It seemed to have trouble from the get go but it worked once in a while. Now it no longer works. Note that all the drops and the stand up happen to be on the same switch matrix strobe.
Here are the symptoms:
- all drops and stand up work (one at a time) in switch test
- any combination of two targets down, touching the stand up works.
- if three are down, the stand up stops working, except one combination 1,2,4 down, that one the stand up works.
- all four down, the stand up does not work
I tried changing the diode on the 3rd drop since is seemed to be a common problem but no luck.
Hopefully someone has an idea what this is.
Every other part of the game plays properly.

For closure, I found the issue.

At the end of the day, the PIA at U10 on the MPU card had a weak driver and could not drive enough current when strobe 1 had to drive 5 switches. I swapped the two PIAs and the game plays fine now. Still it is an interesting choice to Bally to put 5 switches on the same strobe that are likely to all be closed at the same time.

#177 5 years ago

New question for Future Spa players. Reasonably frequently the rollover switch will not register the ball when shooting that upper right turn-around shot. I have replaced all switch caps in the entire machine and I know the switch is adjusted properly. I suspect the ball is riding part way up the wall as it does the U-turn and physically misses the switch. I get this happening 1-2 times in a good game. I checked and the wall is not leaning outward at all. Anyone else have a similar experience, I am wondering if this is normal for this game. My game is freshly shopped, new rubber, flippers and all mechanisms are rebuilt so ball speed is pretty high.

3 weeks later
#180 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I have had 2 different Future Spas and they both did what you are describing. At one time I thought about relocating the stainless arc/guide so the ball would roll over the switch all the time, but decided it wasn't worth it. So yeah, yours appears to be "normal."

Good to know, as long as my machine is not actually misbehaving I will leave it as is.

3 weeks later
#181 5 years ago

Here is something I noticed today that I have never heard anyone mention before. The special Future Spa lighting in the top left that blinks out its pattern changes its speed depending on the game status. I could never figure it out since during attract mode it blinks at its fastest pace. Start a new game and the pattern slows way down. It ramps up progressively as you fill in all the FUTURE SPA letters. Each time you collect the last one and the 18000 or 36000 lights go on, it drops down to the slow speed again. Since I can see it in my peripheral vision, it should help keep track of where I am in the sequence.

7 months later
#189 4 years ago

Make sure to post that on Pinside's top score list for Future Spa, that would place you at 13th.

2 months later
#196 4 years ago

I never thought about it, I guess you could set it up wrong. I think that is what happens 3:11 (

), the ball seems to hit the gate in the second lane over and magically heads towards the flipper. It seems ridiculous to have it that way.

7 months later
#251 3 years ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

This would be my first time to desolder or solder anything to/from a board, so I go in with great trepidation.

Desoldering is something that is a straightforward affair with the right tools and a nightmare without. I splurged on a Hakko desolder gun, what a difference. If using a sucker style desolderer take your time, until all the pins are released the header is staying put. It takes patience.

2 weeks later
#257 3 years ago

When it goes bad, put it into switch test mode, are the switches still registering? If not start at the MPU for a loose connector (top right of the card is the strobe/return for all switches). If switches are working, I would look around the solenoid driver board. Have these cards had all their connector header solder reflowed?

2 years later
#369 1 year ago

Using conventional spray paints really slows the process down. I have done two cabinets, and from bare cabinet and back box to completed took 5 weeks given all the coats and all the waiting.

#374 1 year ago
Quoted from Spunky1562:

This is looking awesome. Really getting me pumped to do mine.
How long are you waiting before pulling stencil after painting and then how long between that and next stencil application/painting? I know you said 5 days, but is that painting and then waiting 5 days to pull stencil and then immediately put next stencil on?

I pull the stencil within minutes of applying paint. I keep some Naptha handy and Q tips to touch anything that is where it shouldn't be to clean it up. Can also smooth down any edges that stand up where the stencil edge was. Curious what others do.

1 week later
#378 1 year ago

4 weeks is plenty long, I have done something similar and was also worried about leaving a mark. I rolled the cabinet on its side after 7 days and it was okay. Not sure what happened in your case. Is it super humid where you are maybe?

#382 1 year ago

I know there are a lot of game play videos out there. I think you will find this one is different.

#388 1 year ago

I uploaded an annotated version of the video to make things more clear. I will add some explanations here as well.

This is a very early working version of what I am calling Beyond Future Spa. My working method is to replicate the original game in the Arduino code, then branch off from there. I like to keep the original game feel because that is why I always liked the game.

Features:
All original rules are there. Collect the FUTURESPA lamps to build your bonus.
There are 3 goals built in so far. Collect a goal and it increments the singles digit in your score.
Goal 1 - collect the 36K bonus
Goal 2 - Pop bumper mode - You must hit the bumpers a total number of times, flashing countdown is shown in the credit display. Total to reach is settable in the coin door.
Goal 3 - Spinner mode - You reach a total cumulative spinner flip total, flashing countdown is shown in the ball-in-play display. Total settable in coin door.

Spinner mode is designed to force you to use both spinners. I have factored in how much harder it is to hit the right spinner. Whatever total you have set is divided into chunks. Everyone goes for the left spinner. After ~40% of the total is accumulated, the left spinner will go 'dead', the lamp goes dark, the spinner sound reverts to a simple tone and it must be re-lit by hitting the right spinner which is now blinking.
Hitting the right spinner for about 5% of the total relights the left spinner. The right spinner will go 'dead' after ~20% of the total.
No matter what you will have to relight a spinner twice to reach the total. The game tracks each spinner separately, you either reset its internal counter by relighting it with the other spinner or by losing your ball. The total spinner countdown is kept between balls though.
Lit spinner scoring increases each time to reach the spinner total, 1000 becomes 2000, etc. You hear a sound effect each time you reach a goal.

Spinner speed, if you hit a lit spinner faster than 10 flips per second (a little slower for the right one), you will hear a special sound and you will get 2000 pts per spin only while the speed is high enough. Otherwise it reverts to the usual sound effect.

Combo shots - only the one so far (more to come)
Kicker-Saucer combo, at any time land in the left kicker, starts a timed countdown. Time in seconds is shown in two displays, the countdown pot is adjacent to the player's score window. Land in the saucer to collect the amount shown.

Displays - Lacking an alphanumeric displays like newer machines I tried to make more use of the displays we do have. The singles digit of the player score shows your total goals achieved. The game will eventually use number of goals achieved as a trigger for other game modes (yet to come). When a new ball is fed to the plunger, if you have achieved any goals, they will be displayed in the other play displays (the video at 4:58) you see '111'. Each digit corresponds to a specific goal. I will eventually make up new apron score cards that have a little diagram showing which is which.

Annotated video

#390 1 year ago
Quoted from slghokie:

BJM-Maxx Wow, that is awesome! I have a FS that I will be working on soon. Do you plan on releasing this with the other BSOS new codes? Would love to pu this on my FS when I get it finished.

For sure I will release it, I want to get some more stuff in the game first though.

2 weeks later
#395 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

This is super impressive work, BJM-Maxx. Can you explain a bit more about how you implement this on the electronics/physical side?

It is really easy. Dick Hamill wrote an operating system that runs on an Arduino board. An adapter PCB lets it sit right on the J5 Diagnostic port on your existing MPU card. There is a really long thread here for the technical details. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-m6800-in-a-stern-mpu100-with-an-arduino

To get the hardware pre-loaded with a game you can just go here, https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball and order the correct game. Beyond Future Spa is still being developed so I have not released code yet.

I have done a new version of Eight Ball called Eight Ball Plus, you can go to that thread to see the updates I made there. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-plus-new-rules-for-bally-eight-ball

Currently I am working on a Future Spa equivalent to the Eight Ball Plus' 15 ball mode.

9 months later
#424 9 months ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

I got some off of Amazon, but I believe I am missing most if not all of the original.
I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about taping anything to the ink on a backglass, how did you apply yours? Think I can tape it to triple thick maybe after it has cured?
-Pat
ALSO!! What are the colors you guys are using to match the siderails, as well as the apron. I just want to touch those up.

I assume you are talking about lenticular sheet (has the grooves cut in up/down and left/right directions). I cut mine oversize, put little velcro tabs at the corners of the opening on the actual lamp insert. So it covers the opening in the insert, is right behind the backglass but doesn't touch it. I just pull it off the velcro to get at the FUTURE SPA lamps.

8 months later
#449 13 days ago

I wrote a new rule set for Future Spa. Full details are in this thread for those interested.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beyond-future-spa-new-rules-for-future-spa#post-8114634

Rules video

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BJM-Maxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-club-come-on-in-the-water-is-warm?tu=BJM-Maxx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.