(Topic ID: 85150)

Future Spa Club - Come on in the water is warm!

By Xenon75

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231228_222007 (resized).jpg
20231228_214230 (resized).jpg
20231228_205429 (resized).jpg
20231228_200818 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 10.14.20 AM (resized).png
6A080666-3BD5-49B0-BCD3-9F3E52B20E0C (resized).jpeg
641EB49B-783E-4D79-AA2F-FB38362BF658 (resized).jpeg
117D74B4-5291-4DBA-82FD-26BD63872055 (resized).jpeg
68AA2963-2259-467E-AA30-3A48F1212646 (resized).jpeg
FE29CE2C-C0CC-4448-907A-48E0C6071C57 (resized).jpeg
BDD091B3-7AD4-4C41-B6E9-A2C74F98E640 (resized).jpeg
8DF650EA-73F8-423F-93B9-9340E21BB215 (resized).jpeg
5AFC1F58-1A83-48EE-81AA-25E533CC30E1 (resized).jpeg
35B760E5-81C2-496D-933D-05B763AB47D2 (resized).jpeg
792947F2-F0A1-43EA-A71C-52E72F4EDF02 (resized).jpeg
DCDF2F83-AB97-403B-BF56-1F75732A8946 (resized).jpeg
There are 450 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
#251 3 years ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

This would be my first time to desolder or solder anything to/from a board, so I go in with great trepidation.

Desoldering is something that is a straightforward affair with the right tools and a nightmare without. I splurged on a Hakko desolder gun, what a difference. If using a sucker style desolderer take your time, until all the pins are released the header is staying put. It takes patience.

#252 3 years ago

Are we getting that apron decal that guy showed off or was it a big d*** tease?

#253 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Desoldering is something that is a straightforward affair with the right tools and a nightmare without. I splurged on a Hakko desolder gun, what a difference. If using a sucker style desolderer take your time, until all the pins are released the header is staying put. It takes patience.

I sold a new in box Hakko desoldering gun on this forum because I thought I would never use it. Then after ruining a few traces with a basic solder sucker, I bought another Hakko desoldering gun. I’ll never sell this one. Makes desoldering a piece of cake. Well worth the money.

2 weeks later
#254 3 years ago

Hey guys, I turned on my machines this morning and played around bounced back and forth between Future spa, f14 and monster bash... i hit the start button and it never kicked the ball into the shooter lane? I lifted the play field and looked at the wires they all seemed to be fine... i restarted the machine and to the same avail.. so i opened the coin door and manually loaded the ball... it played fine ...i let it drain and it kicked out the next ball... then nothing again after that... lifted the PF again and thought it might be something on the coin door? Or? The coil looks fine.
Any info or an idea where to start would be appreciated
Thanks guys

#255 3 years ago
Quoted from Blakeski:

Any info or an idea where to start would be appreciated

Try cleaning (and maybe adjust) the outhole switch.

#256 3 years ago

So i fired it back up this morning after letting it sit all night... it never kicked the ball into the lane(again) so I put the ball in the lane and shot it...then none of the solenoids fired for the pop bumpers... i shut it off.. checked fuses and unplugged and plugged everything back in... powered it back on and it worked great for a few balls...then just went slack again...no pop bumpers or anything besides flippers were operating properly. Possibly something on the solenoid driver board?

#257 3 years ago

When it goes bad, put it into switch test mode, are the switches still registering? If not start at the MPU for a loose connector (top right of the card is the strobe/return for all switches). If switches are working, I would look around the solenoid driver board. Have these cards had all their connector header solder reflowed?

#258 3 years ago

Did you also check the fuse under the playfield for loose or defective?

1 week later
#259 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

When it goes bad, put it into switch test mode, are the switches still registering? If not start at the MPU for a loose connector (top right of the card is the strobe/return for all switches). If switches are working, I would look around the solenoid driver board. Have these cards had all their connector header solder reflowed?

I haven't reflowed all the boards. But I noticed on the rectifier board the solid red wire post was shorter than the others.? Like maybe it had mted at some point?

#260 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Did you also check the fuse under the playfield for loose or defective?

under the pf looks good..i feel like a fuse would either work or not... not work sometimes and then not.

2 months later
#261 3 years ago

Glad to be part of this club. Awesome table.

20200927_221613 (resized).jpg20200927_221613 (resized).jpg
#262 3 years ago

Hey all - figured here would be a good place. I'm rescuing a bargain basement Future Spa that needs a lot of help, most of which I can do myself (cleaning, electronics, mouse de-turding, haha). Unfortunately, this one didn't come with a backglass. Anyone out there have an extra, or a good scan to print a translite off of?

I saw BGResto had it, but for mid range players machine, that blows the budget. (Plus no mirroring, no sale!)

3 weeks later
#263 3 years ago

Replaced the off-white Bally lane guides with some red transparent ones. I think it looks much better.

20201024_164047 (resized).jpg20201024_164047 (resized).jpg
#264 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Replaced the off-white Bally lane guides with some red transparent ones.

Do you still have the original off white Bally lane guides / would you wanna sell me one or two?

#265 3 years ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

Do you still have the original off white Bally lane guides / would you wanna sell me one or two?

Sending you a PM...

#266 3 years ago

Bump for a backglass, translite repro, or a nice scan that I could get printed.

#267 3 years ago

Hi all, new to the club, first wide body, is there anything I should know about this title?

#268 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Sending you a PM...

PPS sells hot stamped Bally lane guides.

#269 3 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Bump for a backglass, translite repro, or a nice scan that I could get printed.

I tried searching myself with no luck. Will definitely keep an eye out for you.

1 week later
#270 3 years ago

Hey guys, I’m getting an issue with my sound where it gets stuck on one tone mid game and will not stop until I reset the machine. I’m thinking about recapping the sound board, but thought I would ask here if anyone has had this issue before. Thanks in advance.

#271 3 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

it gets stuck on one tone

What is the tone? Is it a specific switch-triggered sound or do you mean the background sound gets stuck at a certain point?

#272 3 years ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

What is the tone? Is it a specific switch-triggered sound or do you mean the background sound gets stuck at a certain point?

Not a specific tone, it happens with the background sound and switched sounds. It’s like it just gets stuck wherever it’s at and won’t stop until I reboot.

#273 3 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

Not a specific tone, it happens with the background sound and switched sounds. It’s like it just gets stuck wherever it’s at and won’t stop until I reboot.

Not sure if this could be the solution, but if you have original electrolytic caps on the sound card I would replace them. They have exceeded their life expectancy.

#274 3 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

Hey guys, I’m getting an issue with my sound where it gets stuck on one tone mid game and will not stop until I reset the machine. I’m thinking about recapping the sound board, but thought I would ask here if anyone has had this issue before. Thanks in advance.

Time to re-pin the .100 pins in the harness. It's a pain in the ass job, but has to be done. I've had 3 Future Spas, and the pins in the harness get brittle and break. You can's see it by looking at them, but when you take one out, it will come out in two pieces. The connection will work most of the time, but with a little vibration the circuit will go open. There are 4 address lines that go between the CPU and the sound board that control when a sound happens and which one. If the communications is lost, it is kind of like the guys in our nuclear silos... they execute their last instructions. You will notice the same thing if you go into sound test mode and then advance to the next test when the test sound is playing... it will stick and keep playing.

#275 3 years ago

My 2cents

I recapped my soundboard shortly after acquiring my FS. Got the cap kit from arcadepartsandrepair. Dunno if there’s a better price out there; only ordered it through them because I was also ordering a number of flybacks and other arcade parts.

I was having issues prior to the recapping, but they were issues caused by a failing 6821P ic (e.g. playing the incorrect sound at times). Still did the recap anyway because they seemed to have never been replaced.

The difference after the recap was noticeable. Though to be fair, as a working musician by profession, I am hyper-critical of sound quality. I’d say the post-recap difference is similar to playing a dusty vinyl record vs. a freshly-cleaned one: the frequencies generated are more precise.
Also with this kit, there is a choice for one of the capacitors where you can use the original value or a beefy one (both in the kit) which extends the overall range of frequencies. Lower lows and higher highs. Puts an almost high end clip on the bonus counting which is ‘meh’ but ignorable, but man, rip an unlit spinner and the bass will shine in what is my personal favorite sound bite of the whole game.

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/product-category/pinball-kits-parts/pinball-kits/

#276 3 years ago

Thanks mr2xbass & Sheprd do you have a parts list needed to repin the connection?

#277 3 years ago

What Sheprd said - repin the connector cause its losing connection.

You should cut off the shitty IDC connector and replace it. Pretty sure its a .156 connector on that sound board, not a .100 though. (The MPU side is .100 though). Start with the sound board connector, then the MPU connector. Standard Mole crimp and stuff parts that are sold at all pin retailers.

#278 3 years ago

Thanks for the help, I pulled an reseated all the connectors and that seems to have fixed it, I do think I will need to replace the connectors eventually, but for now everything is working.

#279 3 years ago

For anyone missing the holographic sheet behind the title on their back glass, I found this on Amazon that works perfectly.

Diffraction Grating sheet 13,500 lines/inch - Double Axis 1Ft x 6 Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FZT3Y2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_oJgSFbCJPAA5R

1 week later
#280 3 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

Time to re-pin the .100 pins in the harness. It's a pain in the ass job, but has to be done. I've had 3 Future Spas, and the pins in the harness get brittle and break. You can's see it by looking at them, but when you take one out, it will come out in two pieces. The connection will work most of the time, but with a little vibration the circuit will go open. There are 4 address lines that go between the CPU and the sound board that control when a sound happens and which one. If the communications is lost, it is kind of like the guys in our nuclear silos... they execute their last instructions. You will notice the same thing if you go into sound test mode and then advance to the next test when the test sound is playing... it will stick and keep playing.

would this be my problem if some times after the ball kicks out the background noise stops and the feature sounds trip out?

#281 3 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

My apron on my FS is flaked off as well so made a magnet apron cover for mine. I'm also playing around with some cabinet decals.[quoted image][quoted image]

How do I get some?

#282 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Glad to be part of this club. Awesome table.
[quoted image]

LED upgrade. Did you upgrade any boards?

#283 3 years ago
Quoted from Flownlow:

would this be my problem if some times after the ball kicks out the background noise stops and the feature sounds trip out?

If the capacitors on the sound board are original, I'd start by replacing those.

Quoted from Flownlow:

LED upgrade. Did you upgrade any boards?

Previous owner installed LEDs and had a new lamp driver board installed to support them.

#284 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

If the capacitors on the sound board are original, I'd start by replacing those.

Previous owner installed LEDs and had a new lamp driver board installed to support them.

Thanks! I am new to pinball. Just picked up my Future Spa.

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from Flownlow:

Thanks! I am new to pinball. Just picked up my Future Spa.

Congrats and welcome to the club! It's a great game that doesnt get much attention. When set up right, it's a nice player with some great features. Enjoy it!

20201024_164037 (resized).jpg20201024_164037 (resized).jpg
#286 3 years ago

Looking for a backglass... Figured I'd throw another out there. Happy to take a fair one for cheap at this point just so it isn't totally bare.

Also if anyone has a lockdown bar laying around. My FS project was a real project... Haha

1 week later
#287 3 years ago

Ministry of Pinball is out of stock of their apron decal. Has anyone found another source? Also does anyone know of a good off the shelf color match spray paint for the apron?

#288 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Ministry of Pinball is out of stock of their apron decal. Has anyone found another source? Also does anyone know of a good off the shelf color match spray paint for the apron?

Let me save you some time: You can't match the original deep red Bally apron using a latex style paint, or even an automotive paint. Therefore, my strong recommendation is to choose a red you like, like burgundy red, and use that.

If I were to ever do it again, I would probably scan my old one, photoshop some decals, and print water-slide decals to go over latex or automotive paint, then clear the whole thing like HEP does it.

If you want to see how I ended up matching it (and broke some painting best practice doing so), here is where I started on my restoration:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration/page/3#post-4466832

#289 3 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Let me save you some time: You can't match the original deep red Bally apron using a latex style paint, or even an automotive paint. Therefore, my strong recommendation is to choose a red you like, like burgundy red, and use that.
If I were to ever do it again, I would probably scan my old one, photoshop some decals, and print water-slide decals to go over latex or automotive paint, then clear the whole thing like HEP does it.
If you want to see how I ended up matching it (and broke some painting best practice doing so), here is where I started on my restoration:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration/page/3#post-4466832

Thanks for the tips. You and your son did an absolutely amazing job on that restoration.

#290 3 years ago

You’re welcome and thanks! I was just playing it today.

1 week later
#291 3 years ago

Anything wrong with this setup? My gate isn’t working properly and when I pulled up the playfield the arm was hanging off the pin. I put it back but gate is still not working.

3EC74BF9-6E4E-4393-8259-F90984D6EDEE (resized).jpeg3EC74BF9-6E4E-4393-8259-F90984D6EDEE (resized).jpeg
#292 3 years ago

^ manually close the solenoid gap, with the power off.

Does the gate move?

#293 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Anything wrong with this setup? My gate isn’t working properly and when I pulled up the playfield the arm was hanging off the pin. I put it back but gate is still not working.
[quoted image]

In my setup, which was a factory crate, it had this unwired switch inserted on the metal bracket, which served as additional spring tension to push on it from the other side. Here's what mine looked like when I finally got it adjusted properly.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 5.56.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-10 at 5.56.21 PM (resized).png

#294 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

^ manually close the solenoid gap, with the power off.
Does the gate move?

Yes, but it’s kind of sticky. Use a drop of lube around the shaft?

#295 3 years ago

No, don't lube it.

Take it apart and clean it

#296 3 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

In my setup, which was a factory crate, it had this unwired switch inserted on the metal bracket, which served as additional spring tension to push on it from the other side. Here's what mine looked like when I finally got it adjusted properly.
[quoted image]

I noticed that on post #92 also - I might try to find something in my parts box that will do the trick and will take it apart to clean as per Vid’s suggestion.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-club-come-on-in-the-water-is-warm/page/2#post-4061628

#297 3 years ago

Can confirm, the stock one has half a leaf switch as a spring

#298 3 years ago

Hello i'm from Germany and i have a Future Spa since two years. Its a beautiful machine and i love it.

#299 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

[quoted image]

It looks like it is not seated correctly to the main frame.
Also is the spring missing?

#300 3 years ago

I found an old switch which does the trick. I had to drill a screw hole in the metal plate as they were too close together for my switch. I put the switch at the end of the stack so there’s enough tension to pull it down into the open position when the coil magnet switches off.

97739B9C-56ED-46AB-9E25-21DAE551CF21 (resized).jpeg97739B9C-56ED-46AB-9E25-21DAE551CF21 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 450 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-club-come-on-in-the-water-is-warm/page/6?hl=hodgesm0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.