(Topic ID: 85150)

Future Spa Club - Come on in the water is warm!

By Xenon75

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 448 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 days ago by pacman11
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231228_222007 (resized).jpg
20231228_214230 (resized).jpg
20231228_205429 (resized).jpg
20231228_200818 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 10.14.20 AM (resized).png
6A080666-3BD5-49B0-BCD3-9F3E52B20E0C (resized).jpeg
641EB49B-783E-4D79-AA2F-FB38362BF658 (resized).jpeg
117D74B4-5291-4DBA-82FD-26BD63872055 (resized).jpeg
68AA2963-2259-467E-AA30-3A48F1212646 (resized).jpeg
FE29CE2C-C0CC-4448-907A-48E0C6071C57 (resized).jpeg
BDD091B3-7AD4-4C41-B6E9-A2C74F98E640 (resized).jpeg
8DF650EA-73F8-423F-93B9-9340E21BB215 (resized).jpeg
5AFC1F58-1A83-48EE-81AA-25E533CC30E1 (resized).jpeg
35B760E5-81C2-496D-933D-05B763AB47D2 (resized).jpeg
792947F2-F0A1-43EA-A71C-52E72F4EDF02 (resized).jpeg
DCDF2F83-AB97-403B-BF56-1F75732A8946 (resized).jpeg

There are 448 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

My son and I are in mid-restoration of our Future Spa. We purchased these stencils:
http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=2036
We've been told these are the best out there. We're almost ready to start painting, so we'll let you know.
As for the backglass, there are a number of threads here on making reproduction backglasses, translites or hybrids. Some are more sophisticated than others. YMMV. What's the status of yours?

Pretty significant flaking. So much so that any time it's moved, more comes off. I definitely don't have all of the pieces anymore either since a couple completely disintegrated.

JethroP thanks for the offer! As soon as I get the next set of ordered parts in, I may circle back for some assistance. Right now, I have a few broken connectors to replace before I can attempt to troubleshoot any other issues. I'll take pictures of the cabinet restore and post them here, too.

3 weeks later
#152 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Future Spaians,
I was lucky enough to find a really nice Future Spa but it had lots of small issues. I have been fixing these issues, one by one, and I am really beginning to enjoy the game play.
I am missing whatever magic holographic piece goes on the back of the backglass and in front of the 'Future Spa' lamps in the backbox. I am considering ordering this as a substitute:
8"X25" Diffraction Grating Roll Sheet Double Axis 13,500 l/mm Physics Light
ebay.com link » 8 X25 Diffraction Grating Roll Sheet Double Axis 13 500 L Mm Physics Light
Has anyone tried this particular item? Will the diffraction grating give the same or similar effect of the original backglass?

I just picked up another Future Spa. It's missing the holographic film on the backglass. Did you ever buy this replacement product, and if so, how does it look?

#153 5 years ago

Double the pleasure! Got a his and hers now!

IMG_7587 (resized).JPGIMG_7587 (resized).JPG
#154 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I just picked up another Future Spa. It's missing the holographic film on the backglass. Did you ever buy this replacement product, and if so, how does it look?

"6" x 12" Diffraction Grating Roll Sheet Double Axis 13,500 l/in Physics Light"

Thanks for reminding me. I just ordered this. It will take two to four weeks to get and will let you know how it looks on Future Spa when it gets here:

ebay.com link: itm

#155 5 years ago

Looking for some advice on troubleshooting a no-boot on my Alltek MPU. I’m getting the initial reset flicker, but no other flashes. 5v is at 4.9, which I feel like is close enough that the program should launch, but it clearly isn’t. All connectors in the game have been re-pinned. I only have J2/3 on the rectifier, J3 on the SDB and J4 on the MPU connected at this point in time. All other voltages seem to be in order, and I’m running out of ideas.

Also, maybe a separate topic, but I noticed some questionable items in the schematics showing wire colors and origins. While confirming I re-pinned all the connectors properly, I can across 2 wires that aren’t listed as connections, and one that seems to be missing, but I can’t pinpoint where they’re coming from/going to.

- The first is the J3 connector, pin 13 on the rectifier. It’s supposed to be a WHT/YL wire that goes to the solenoid bus, but it’s missing.

- The second is the J1 connector on the MPU, pin 8. Notes say it’s reseeved for future use. The wire I have connected is GRY, and I’m unsure where it leads.

- The last is J2 connector on the MPU, pin 2. No notes or info (other than the general info of it being connected to play field strobe) about this being a pin. Right now I have a GRY/YL wire at that location and could use some more info.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Thorzhammer88:

- The first is the J3 connector, pin 13 on the rectifier. It’s supposed to be a WHT/YL wire that goes to the solenoid bus, but it’s missing.

Ignore it. It's a left over on the schematics from the days when the knocker was in the head.

- The second is the J1 connector on the MPU, pin 8. Notes say it’s reseeved for future use. The wire I have connected is GRY, and I’m unsure where it leads.

It's the Lamp Strobe #2 signal for the 2nd lamp board - i.e. it goes to J1 pin 3 on the Auxiliary Lamp driver board.

- The last is J2 connector on the MPU, pin 2. No notes or info (other than the general info of it being connected to play field strobe) about this being a pin. Right now I have a GRY/YL wire at that location and could use some more info.

See the playfield switch schematic below:

FutureSpa_SwitchMatrix_PF.jpgFutureSpa_SwitchMatrix_PF.jpg

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Ignore it. It's a left over on the schematics from the days when the knocker was in the head.

It's the Lamp Strobe #2 signal for the 2nd lamp board - i.e. it goes to J1 pin 3 on the Auxiliary Lamp driver board.

See the playfield switch schematic below:

Thank you so much. I'd been combing through the schematics for hours and just couldn't link anything after a certain point. I'm going to make notes about their locations now. Really appreciate it.

1 week later
#158 5 years ago

I got my diffraction grating today. The pictures do not do it justice. I was going to use double sided tape, but changed my mind and went with clear shipping tape cut into thin strips. I only taped down the sides. That seemed to suffice.

DSCF3612 (resized).JPGDSCF3612 (resized).JPG

DSCF3618 (resized).JPGDSCF3618 (resized).JPG

The diffraction grating adds depth and splits the white light into a star pattern and all of the colors of the rainbow like a prism. It was certainly worth the eight dollars I paid for it. Here is the eBay link again if anybody wants to order one for their Future Spa.

ebay.com link: itm

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I got my diffraction grating today. The pictures do not do it justice. I was going to use double sided tape, but changed my mind and went with clear shipping tape cut into thin strips. I only taped down the sides. That seemed to suffice.

The diffraction grating adds depth and splits the white light into a star pattern and all of the colors of the rainbow like a prism. It was certainly worth the eight dollars I paid for it. Here is the eBay link again if anybody wants to order one for their Future Spa.
ebay.com link

Thank you for the info. Looks good as new!

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

ebay.com link

I certainly appreciate you posting your experience, review, and link on this, but how close to the original effect do you think it is? Bang on?

I'll be ordering a piece. I could have SWORN that it was on my backglass when I got it, but I have the backglass stored safely (against a wall) and it's missing.

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

I certainly appreciate you posting your experience, review, and link on this, but how close to the original effect do you think it is? Bang on?
I'll be ordering a piece. I could have SWORN that it was on my backglass when I got it, but I have the backglass stored safely (against a wall) and it's missing.

The effect is exactly like the original.

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

I haven't the slightest idea. I've never seen an original piece on a Future Spa. This new one is all sparkly and glittery in front of the 'FUTURE SPA' lamps. Your eyeballs can't help but be drawn to the light show. And isn't that the purpose of a pinball backglass? I like it. I'm keeping it this way.

Quoted from JethroP:

The effect is exactly like the original.

Thanks Jethro for the information!

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I haven't the slightest idea. I've never seen an original piece on a Future Spa. This new one is all sparkly and glittery in front of the 'FUTURE SPA' lamps. Your eyeballs can't help but be drawn to the light show. And isn't that the purpose of a pinball backglass? I like it. I'm keeping it this way.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Quoted from Pecos:

I was going to upload a video of the effect but can't. Instead, here's a screen shot of my game with the original holographic film. The effect is better in person. The picture blurs out the sharpness of the color prisms.

IMG_7770 (resized).PNGIMG_7770 (resized).PNG
#165 5 years ago

Well, I ordered the piece from Ebay. If I somehow discover I have the original, I'll pass this on. Thanks guys, I'd wanted a FS for years and years, and found one..probably 5 years ago now, but have some vid projects to finish before I get to it. Maybe next year!

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I used pushpins to attach mine to the lamp board instead of the glass. Works pretty well for me.

4 months later
#167 5 years ago

Hey Future Spa fans. I have a favor to ask. I need you all to turn on your Future Spas for a few minutes and check something out.

Ignoring the fact that I have the background music turned off for this test, when you turn on your Future Spa, during the boot up sequence and sound effects, does it sound like this one:

Or does it sound like this one:

Pay particular attention to the boot up sound, when a game is started and the pop bumper effects.

Thanks for your help!

#168 5 years ago

Mine definitely sounds like the first one with the original board. The second one is off on the boot up and the pop effects when playing sound too fast.

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Mine definitely sounds like the first one with the original board. The second one is off on the boot up and the pop effects when playing sound too fast.

Almost every video I've found online sounds like the original board. I only found one video, this one, that sounded similar to the alternate board, but even this one wasn't as fast:

I'm super curious to hear other people's comparisons.

#171 5 years ago

Mine sounds like the first video. I think if you remove the background sound from the third video it sounds like the first video.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Quoted from supermoot:

Mine sounds like the first one.

Quoted from JethroP:

Mine sounds like the first video. I think if you remove the background sound from the third video it sounds like the first video.

Thanks for making the comparisons for me everyone. You're confirming what I already suspected, that the sound board in the second video is playing some effects too quickly.

I'm going to move the sound board into other games of that era and see if it does the same thing in an obvious way and report back to the folks who make the board. Thanks again for all your help! Back to playing Future Spa...

#173 5 years ago

I have a Future Spa that I bought that is in pretty good working order except I discovered a really strange issue. The yellow stand up target at the back of the four drops has stopped working. It seemed to have trouble from the get go but it worked once in a while. Now it no longer works. Note that all the drops and the stand up happen to be on the same switch matrix strobe.

Here are the symptoms:
- all drops and stand up work (one at a time) in switch test
- any combination of two targets down, touching the stand up works.
- if three are down, the stand up stops working, except one combination 1,2,4 down, that one the stand up works.
- all four down, the stand up does not work

I tried changing the diode on the 3rd drop since is seemed to be a common problem but no luck.

Hopefully someone has an idea what this is.

Every other part of the game plays properly.

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have a Future Spa that I bought that is in pretty good working order except I discovered a really strange issue. The yellow stand up target at the back of the four drops has stopped working. It seemed to have trouble from the get go but it worked once in a while. Now it no longer works. Note that all the drops and the stand up happen to be on the same switch matrix strobe.
Here are the symptoms:
- if three are down, the stand up stops working, except one combination 1,2,4 down, that one the stand up works.
I tried changing the diode on the 3rd drop since is seemed to be a common problem but no luck.

I found I had some similar issues when other switches on the same column or row were stuck. For example, if the spinner is stuck, or the tilt bob has a short, this could cause odd behavior of the stand up targets.

Secondly, if you had some good photography of your switch wiring, we could compare to a working game just to be sure.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I found I had some similar issues when other switches on the same column or row were stuck. For example, if the spinner is stuck, or the tilt bob has a short, this could cause odd behavior of the stand up targets.
Secondly, if you had some good photography of your switch wiring, we could compare to a working game just to be sure.

I will get some photos of that area of the machine. Everything looks factory, nobody seems to have messsed with it. I am wondering if a drop switch could short to the drop target frame and cause this issue. The four drops are all attached to a common metal wall. The stand up is right behind the target bank but is not touching the target bank.

2 weeks later
#176 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Here are the symptoms:

For closure, I found the issue.

At the end of the day, the PIA at U10 on the MPU card had a weak driver and could not drive enough current when strobe 1 had to drive 5 switches. I swapped the two PIAs and the game plays fine now. Still it is an interesting choice to Bally to put 5 switches on the same strobe that are likely to all be closed at the same time.

#177 5 years ago

New question for Future Spa players. Reasonably frequently the rollover switch will not register the ball when shooting that upper right turn-around shot. I have replaced all switch caps in the entire machine and I know the switch is adjusted properly. I suspect the ball is riding part way up the wall as it does the U-turn and physically misses the switch. I get this happening 1-2 times in a good game. I checked and the wall is not leaning outward at all. Anyone else have a similar experience, I am wondering if this is normal for this game. My game is freshly shopped, new rubber, flippers and all mechanisms are rebuilt so ball speed is pretty high.

3 weeks later
#178 5 years ago

My old Future Spa is still on location at Tilt in Minneapolis. $.25 a game and it must be quite an earner to have remained there for the last year. It’s soon going to have a brand new playfield installed. Can’t wait to see how gorgeous a “new” one will look after John works his magic on it.

BC430D09-E271-481E-BD98-8D83F2B08CF9 (resized).jpegBC430D09-E271-481E-BD98-8D83F2B08CF9 (resized).jpeg
#179 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

New question for Future Spa players. Reasonably frequently the rollover switch will not register the ball when shooting that upper right turn-around shot. I have replaced all switch caps in the entire machine and I know the switch is adjusted properly. I suspect the ball is riding part way up the wall as it does the U-turn and physically misses the switch. I get this happening 1-2 times in a good game. I checked and the wall is not leaning outward at all. Anyone else have a similar experience, I am wondering if this is normal for this game. My game is freshly shopped, new rubber, flippers and all mechanisms are rebuilt so ball speed is pretty high.

I have had 2 different Future Spas and they both did what you are describing. At one time I thought about relocating the stainless arc/guide so the ball would roll over the switch all the time, but decided it wasn't worth it. So yeah, yours appears to be "normal."

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I have had 2 different Future Spas and they both did what you are describing. At one time I thought about relocating the stainless arc/guide so the ball would roll over the switch all the time, but decided it wasn't worth it. So yeah, yours appears to be "normal."

Good to know, as long as my machine is not actually misbehaving I will leave it as is.

3 weeks later
#181 5 years ago

Here is something I noticed today that I have never heard anyone mention before. The special Future Spa lighting in the top left that blinks out its pattern changes its speed depending on the game status. I could never figure it out since during attract mode it blinks at its fastest pace. Start a new game and the pattern slows way down. It ramps up progressively as you fill in all the FUTURE SPA letters. Each time you collect the last one and the 18000 or 36000 lights go on, it drops down to the slow speed again. Since I can see it in my peripheral vision, it should help keep track of where I am in the sequence.

1 month later
#182 5 years ago

Has anyone installed one of the Future Spa Hardtops? Results? Issues?

#183 5 years ago

I was the prototype and it rules. see post 116. You will have to adjust the star rollover insert but it wasn't bad at all.

#184 5 years ago

Looking for a nice example in the Long Island / NYC area.

1 week later
#185 5 years ago

The secret life inside your Future Spa.

inside_future_spa.gifinside_future_spa.gif

1 month later
#186 4 years ago

Anyone have a Future Backglass they want to sell. Looking for something in excellent condition. Thanks

1 month later
#187 4 years ago

After a year in storage my FS is set up and playing great. No pics yet. Only thing that needs attention is a non-working ball save gate, but I’m fine without it for now.

Anyone have an apron spare? Mine is absolutely trashed ... flaking beyond recognition.

2 months later
#188 4 years ago

Had a great day at the Spa this morning. My high score to date, 3 ball, and with a non-functioning save gate.

DFAAE2A6-8C2C-4AA3-A8B0-9E6259B25E37 (resized).jpegDFAAE2A6-8C2C-4AA3-A8B0-9E6259B25E37 (resized).jpeg
#189 4 years ago

Make sure to post that on Pinside's top score list for Future Spa, that would place you at 13th.

3 weeks later
#190 4 years ago

Hi All Future Spa members! I wanted to let you know that we are crawling back up to speed with Hardtop production. It will be a few weeks before we turn the site back on, but we do have 2 completed Hardtops for this title in stock. If you have an interest, just PM me with your name, address and a good Paypal address to send an invoice. Cost is $325.00 plus shipping (usually around $35.00)

Thanks!

1 month later
#191 4 years ago

Just a question re the inline drops. Are they supposed to reset once down?. Mine only resets at end of ball.

#192 4 years ago

They reset at the end of each ball.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

They reset at the end of each ball.

+1. They stay down so that you can shoot for the Extra Ball, Then Special, Then the 20,000 point award.

#194 4 years ago

Sanity check here ... does everyone have their gate in the left lanes set correctly?

At the start of the ball there should be two outlanes on the left: the second and third lanes; the gate to the right making the third lane an outlane.

If you score the T or U targets in the top lanes the gate "opens" (shift counter clockwise) so that the left third lane becomes and inlane. Lane two still a drain.

I point this out because in the PAPA tournament video Bowen Kerins mentions (at about 2:40) that hitting the T or U makes it so all left lanes are saves/inlanes.

Mine was incorrect as well ... now fixed.

At start of ball
75674ecd4052acea0698a88e7c62cb5f00a85d36 (resized).jpg75674ecd4052acea0698a88e7c62cb5f00a85d36 (resized).jpg

If T or U hit and gate is "open"
4d55a14c4958eba1818161859d7dffec4c52990f (resized).jpg4d55a14c4958eba1818161859d7dffec4c52990f (resized).jpg

#195 4 years ago

The game is hard. I've been playing with @sfbrian at my house today and watching him use his mad skills on it. It's great because it's challenging.

The extra out lane really forces you to move the table, as does the break in the right in lane, which I completely suck at.

#196 4 years ago

I never thought about it, I guess you could set it up wrong. I think that is what happens 3:11 (

), the ball seems to hit the gate in the second lane over and magically heads towards the flipper. It seems ridiculous to have it that way.

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I never thought about it, I guess you could set it up wrong. I think that is what happens 3:11 ( ), the ball seems to hit the gate in the second lane over and magically heads towards the flipper. It seems ridiculous to have it that way.

Yeah, the gate in the video is set up wrong.

#198 4 years ago

While my Future Spa is playing great it’s in need of a complete shop & detailing...

D96C228D-989C-4D8E-8BF3-B09AED8417EF (resized).jpegD96C228D-989C-4D8E-8BF3-B09AED8417EF (resized).jpeg
#199 4 years ago

Stripped the topside, minus the pops... and all underside bits that stick up ... switch contacts, slingshot, kickback, etc. they will all be buffed pretty.
F7D8E03C-4815-4035-9C36-3ACF803D0EC6 (resized).jpegF7D8E03C-4815-4035-9C36-3ACF803D0EC6 (resized).jpeg

#200 4 years ago

All the smaller metal bits went into the ultrasonic cleaner. Larger bits are getting shined up on the high speed buffer. And then the polishing began...

81978679-3B6D-496F-80E1-7CA1E0B375AA (resized).jpeg81978679-3B6D-496F-80E1-7CA1E0B375AA (resized).jpeg

Wrapped up tonight with some bits reinstalled. Much cleaner now. Artwork is near complete, and there’s a full playfield mylar that will be staying ... no clearcoat ... keeping it original.

C38F3B69-B4D6-46D5-A933-458846F1DBF8 (resized).jpegC38F3B69-B4D6-46D5-A933-458846F1DBF8 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
There are 448 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-club-come-on-in-the-water-is-warm/page/4?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.