• Latest reply 8 years ago by Sheprd
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fs.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Bally used some type of lens behind the "Future Spa" graphic on the back glass to provide a 3-D effect. They set the GI bulbs back in this area several inches to add depth. Does anyone know what type of lens they used? Lenticular? Rowlux? I have 3 Future Spas and the lens is missing from 2. The other lens seems to have deteriorated and no longer produces the effect. Does anyone know of a source for the correct lens material?

Mac

fs.JPGfs.JPG

#2 8 years ago

It's probably an english word with spectral in it, in dutch i think it was called spectraal folie.

#3 8 years ago

Whatever they are using to make these fireworks glasses seems like it might work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IOeIgO1agnY

Thoughts?

#4 8 years ago

I haven't bought this yet but I looked around and this was the closest/cheapest I could find.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FZT3Y2

#5 8 years ago

You have 3 future spas???
I love that pin! prob one of the best wide bodies ever!
had one some time ago. had to rebuild the main board as someone hacked it up tryin to replace sockets. would like to find another one.
Damn, I miss her!

#6 8 years ago

I haven't seen one in many years but I thought it was just prism tape:

ebay.com link: itm

#7 8 years ago

If I recall correctly, as you are searching, there was also a sheet that adhered to the back glass?

What material surface does it resemble? :

http://www.lenticular.mobi/Fly-eye-lenticular-lens-sheet-29.html

#8 8 years ago

I was thinking prism tape also, but since it's opaque, it wouldn't work.

Three Future Spas......lucky dude. The closest I've ever gotten to one is watching the Classic Game Room video on youtube. One day, Future Spa, you will be mine......

#9 8 years ago

I've got one that I look forward to restoring. Pinball Pimp may make the stencils if there's enough interest in them. I have offered to scan my cabinet.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from williams:

amazon.com link »

Diffraction Grating sheet... that is a term I had not yet Googled. I think we are getting close. It looks like this stuff is available in different lines/inch. From 13,500 down to 500 lines/inch. If anyone has played with this stuff, I wonder which looks the best for this application?

Quoted from jibmums:

Three Future Spas......lucky dude.

Lots of side-boob I will restore all 3 and keep one for myself.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

I've got one that I look forward to restoring. Pinball Pimp may make the stencils if there's enough interest in them. I have offered to scan my cabinet.

I wish he would because the twisted pins ones BLOW...not that it should be a surprise to anyone at this point.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I wish he would because the twisted pins ones BLOW...not that it should be a surprise to anyone at this point.

I'm planning on buying some stencils from Pinball Pimp, based on some of the feedback I've read on Pinside.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from williams:

haven't bought this yet but I looked around and this was the closest/cheapest I could find.

I've ordered some of this stuff... I will report back in on how it works/looks. Thanks Williams...

Mac

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

I've ordered some of this stuff... I will report back in on how it works/looks. Thanks Williams...
Mac

Just ordered it myself also and will report back. I'm sure the people at Amazon are wondering why there is a sudden run on this stuff!

#15 8 years ago

my one go at operating games on location and my future spa got stolen..... i miss that game.

#16 8 years ago

I saved a beautiful HUO one from becoming a bookshelf and/or coffee table. Some young guy who watched too much HGTV inherited it and was planning on hacking away until I got wind of it and brought cash. back on topic, it's got the "prism" filter but I have no idea what it's called...

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

my one go at operating games on location and my future spa got stolen..... i miss that game.

That's a total bummer... somebody had to work hard to lug away a true super wide body... I don't hear about too many pins being stolen from locations. I bet it wasn't in a basement!

1 week later
#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

Diffraction Grating sheet... that is a term I had not yet Googled. I think we are getting close. It looks like this stuff is available in different lines/inch. From 13,500 down to 500 lines/inch. If anyone has played with this stuff, I wonder which looks the best for this application?

...I've ordered some of this stuff... I will report back in on how it works/looks.

Mac

Received the film from a scientific supply outlet in Alabama. Ordered the 13,500 dual axis. It works as expected. When you hold a bulb right behind it, up close, you don't see the effect. When you move the light source back several inches, wham, it comes to life with the spray of colors. That explains why Bally spent the money to build the offset to move the GI lights back several inches behind the film on Future Spa. It all makes sense now.

I can now carry on with the restorations on my Future Spas and get them back to good as new. Thanks for the help here!

Mac

#19 8 years ago

Post photos!!

#20 8 years ago

Wow. My backglass has the piece, but it would be nice to know exactly what you ordered and see it. I really love look forward to restoring my game.

2 weeks later
#21 8 years ago

I have a FS and didn't even know there was such as piece! Mine was missing when I got it. That explains the tape glue remnants that surround the Future Spa logo.

#22 8 years ago

I will post photos when I get some time... way too much going on these days .

I also want to see if this would add some color to the somewhat bland Avengers Hulk LE translight...

Mac

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-backglass-3-d-effect and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.