By Pinball-is-great

5 years ago

Stats

• 41 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pinball-is-great
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bill-and-ted-air-guitar.jpeg
    nin1.jpg
    iron-maiden-1.jpg
    images-2.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    Insane-n-_the_Membrane.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Any of these look good for a future music themed pinball machine? So many possibilities, can't list them all. Other non rock bands would need to be on another thread/poll. Example: The Village People (and YMCA song) not listed here. I'm not trying to say we need every other pin released to be band/music themed. I realize we need variety, including non-movie based themes.
    Feel free to mention other bands in your posts that you would like to see that are not listed.
    If I could have listed more choices, I may have also put:
    * None of these,
    * Rush,
    * Molly Hatchet (artwork already half done for this one)
    * ZZ Top

#2 5 years ago

think about the european market, take iron maiden !!
    also metallica is a good option

#3 5 years ago

All of them have really good potential - and I think Zep and Floyd could really be some good looking pins. The problem being that most on this list simply don't license.

#4 5 years ago

None of the above

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

None of the above

That's funny...but you don't have a suggestion.

I would think that Metallica or Pink Floyd would hit the largest market (world wide) of influence or interest. Hard to say though, maybe a different direction should be traveled...like Steve Miller or Dave Mathews Band.

#6 5 years ago

I would be in for Metallica .

#7 5 years ago

Radiohead.

#8 5 years ago

I didn't put up a suggestion because I can't really think of any bands that I would like to see in a pinball that would have enough mass appeal to sell enough games.

#9 5 years ago

I vote Black Sabbath!

#10 5 years ago

Problem with rock bands pins is there will always be people that want certain songs or era on them. Rolling stones, I would have liked to hear songs that don't just plain blow, and the first things you hear on the machine are Happy and Love is Strong along with that annoying BBC1 radio announcer. 'This is a STERN warning'. Retarded.

AC/DC people want other tracks from the band, same for Guns and roses on a lesser extent. My idea would be to dual purpose that mini USB for updates to upload whatever songs you want on a cheap 2 or 4 gig drive in there. I don't know if they'll be doing that anytime soon.

With movies, you don't have to worry about how you 'liked the old stuff better', you either liked or didn't like the movie. You don't have to play thru a mode on a song that annoys you just to get a better score, unless the song in the movie was annoying.

That said I picked Pink Floyd. But I think that would be terrible for a pin as well because depending on the song, you would have to have a 7+ minute mode. Gotta play thru that Welcome to the Machine.

#11 5 years ago

i would love a radiohead or muse pin. sadly it will probably never happen.

im guessing stern would rather have a justin bieber pin over any other bands

a U2 pin might work??

Quoted from chocky909:

Radiohead.

#12 5 years ago

Where's Metallica. I want a toy where lady justice comes crashing down or some one frying on the electric chair. Maybe some grave yard cross drop targets. sky is the limit

#13 5 years ago

Led zeppelin will never happen, licensing review only happens every quarter, it would take forever with making changes. Women of rock might be nice for eye candy alone, but perhaps this is not specific enough (could be too frazzled). Out of all those, ozzy could be funny. Special Rom set with garbled ozzy speak: "uhh uhh oh ya know, ya gotta an extra ball or something". One band I know would sell like crazy (but license would cost too much, see iTunes) is the beatles

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Special Rom set with garbled ozzy speak: "uhh uhh oh ya know, ya gotta an extra ball or something"

HA, that is hilarious...but I guess as long as its not him trying to sing the National Anthem we would be ok.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

I vote Black Sabbath!

Oh Yea !!! Ozzy got my Vote.... Insane-n-_the_Membrane.jpg

» YouTube video
    #!

» YouTube video

» YouTube video

» YouTube video

#17 5 years ago

It could happen with Sabbath they are about to tour again and ACDC did a few years back and now they have a pin.

#18 5 years ago

Iron maiden would be my pick. But I think a Pink Floyd pin would have a better market.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Donnyman:

It could happen with Sabbath they are about to tour again and ACDC did a few years back and now they have a pin.

I dont think this is going to happen. Tony Iommi is battling lymphoma and the tour isn't going to be "Black Sabbath" anymore. Hopefully Tony's health will take a turn for the better so they can finish the newest album and go on tour.

#20 5 years ago

Led Zeppelin and I think pinball makers need to get with the times. If they are going to do a band theme game let us constantly update/personalize the background music with a larger variety of the bands songs through downloadable updates via usb. Shoot if need be give us an option to pay a small fee to get more song choices if needed to do it to get the bands authorization.

#21 5 years ago

Iron Maiden has the cartoon graphics to look good with "Eddie", but there already was a pinball game called "Iron Maiden".

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

None of the above

Agreed!!!

#23 5 years ago

I would love to see a Rush pin.
    First...they still give it all during a show and are true professionals.
    Second... they have been dissed all these years by the RNR Hall of Fame. Not cool.
    Third...I think licensing might be easier than, say a Floyd or Zeppelin pin.
    Fourth...I just want one.

#24 5 years ago

A Beatles pin would be cool but you'd never get it licensed. They went through so many different phases you could really do a lot with it.

#25 5 years ago

I voted for Pink Floyd, but I think one artist that was overlooked is Meat Loaf.

On a completely different track, what about "Weird Al" Yankovic?

#26 5 years ago

u2 images-1.jpeg images.jpeg images-2.jpeg

#27 5 years ago

I think Pink Floyd would be Stern's next music pin. They could a lot with it.

#28 5 years ago

Up the IRONS!!!

iron-maiden-1.jpg

#29 5 years ago

Rocky Horror Picture Show gets my vote.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slaymetender:

Rocky Horror Picture Show gets my vote.

+1
    Oooh, that could be fun! A toast!

Failing that, Zep for sure would be a hit at my house.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Donnyman said:It could happen with Sabbath they are about to tour again and ACDC did a few years back and now they have a pin.
    I dont think this is going to happen. Tony Iommi is battling lymphoma and the tour isn't going to be "Black Sabbath" anymore. Hopefully Tony's health will take a turn for the better so they can finish the newest album and go on tour.

Add to this is Bill Ward is currently not working with Sabbath due to contract issues. He made a public statement that the contract he was asked to sign wasn't a fair one. He wants to continue to work with Sabbath but cannot under the terms that have been offered him. This one is a biggie.

No Bill Ward no original Sabbath lineup.

At this point I just want Iommi to hopefully be successful in beating the lymphoma. Heaven forbid he pass away from it. If he does there definitely won't be an original lineup tour.

Sabbath are currently in the UK working on a new album. How far they get with the Iommi and Ward issues are anybody's guess. If you want to keep up with the latest Sabbath news follow Eddie Trunk's website. If you don't know who he is just google his name.

#32 5 years ago

Honestly it needs to be over. I don't like music themed pins, at least not the ones Stern chooses. All it does is appeal to the older collector crowd, and sure that means guaranteed sales to Stern (which is what they care about), but its not helping at all to get new young people playing them. Elvis? Rolling Stones? AC/DC isn't too bad honestly but its still the same idea.

Meanwhile 'young' music is mostly balls and transitory. Nobody here wants to play a Kanye West pin. So I'd rather they dump the idea all together.

#33 5 years ago

AC/DC is the only pin I can see with a broad enough appeal, plus interesting interactive mechs that go along with the theme. Other than that, I really can't see anything else that would be a big seller.

Iron Maiden has the artwork, but not the broad appeal. I also don't know if 8 minute songs lend itself to short modes.

In my opinion, pins based on bands is all about sound packages, and for me sound on pinball is second to visuals and play. I can listen to my mp3 player and play anything I want while banging on my machines, but I can't substitute the visuals and play.

The other annoying thing I noticed, really hate seeing the actual band on a pinball. Mick Jagger is almost 70 years old. Like to see iconic imagery, hate to see Photoshop band members. That is probably the only reason people even mention Iron Maiden in these types of threads.

#34 5 years ago

Only band pin I'd ever seriously consider...

nin1.jpg

#35 5 years ago

Up the IRONS!!!

Iron Maideeeeenn!!!

bill-and-ted-air-guitar.jpeg

#36 5 years ago

Yeah! women of Rock 80s-90s

#37 5 years ago

I think Pink Floyd would be a horrible pin choice, and I am a huge fan. Game modes should all be about energy. PF songs are all about chill out. To keep pace, the game would have to be S L O W enough to be able to play stoned out of your mind.

I would love a Maiden and don't think the fact there was already an old unpopular title would matter.

#38 5 years ago

Jimi Hendrix.

#39 5 years ago

I think music pins shouldn't have whole existing songs or even big sections on them but rather use riffs and lines like sound effects. The band in question should work with the sound designer to create custom instrumental tracks, call outs and sound effect to combine with elements from the back catalogue to create sound that works with the rules rather than vice versa.

I really do think that music needs to be created around the game and not the other way round.

#40 5 years ago

What about a MODERN band like the Black Keys, the White Stripes, or even the Red Hot Chili Peppers!!

#41 5 years ago

Excellent posts by all, both comments & pics/links, etc. As of the 70 vote point, looks like Iron Maiden is the frontrunner for this particular list. Wish I could have added more choices to the list. I am sure The Beatles, Metallica, & Rush would have recv'd votes. Interesting poll results. Seems like Pinsiders are quite willing to give JJP & Stern some great ideas and feedback concerning possible future pinball machines.

You would think that it would be easy to do the artwork on an Iron Maiden pinball machine, as a tremendous amount of existing great artwork has already been created over the years.
    To me it seems like we should be able to have another machine released called Iron Maiden. This has already happened in the past in the pinball world.

Concerning music band themed pinball machines, I agree w/ comments posted. I hope future machines released tend to incorporate more flexibility for owners/operators to select desired/favorite songs and portions of songs from a larger lists of songs of that particular band/artist. It can be done if manuf (and band) want to.

Need separate threads/polls to address other choices for future music themed machines, like to what kwiKimart and other suggests about modern rock bands, alternative, etc. What about country & western, bluegrass, or others? I could imagine hearing some fast paced banjo music during a particular mode or during multi-ball of a new release.

I think AC/DC and Guns N' Roses were both great choices of major rock n roll bands for pinball machines. Long live Rock n Roll ...and Pinball!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 12.00
    Various Other Swag
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 9.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 129.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 109.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 43.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 5,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Mafia
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Unisex
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 989.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 71.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 9.95
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 2,120 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside