(Topic ID: 42862)

Poll: What pinball simulators do you play?

By paulohotline

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Gov
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What pinball simulators do you play?”

• Future Pinball (PC) 9 votes
      13%
    • Visual Pinball (PC) 19 votes
      28%
    • Pinball Arcade (multiple platforms) 43 votes
      63%
    • Zen Pinball (multiple platforms) 18 votes
      26%
    • None, I only play the real deal biatch! 14 votes
      21%

(Multiple choice - 68 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

media-pinball1.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Future Pinball is my FAV. An amazing update to the Star Trek - The Next Generation (20th Anniversary Edition) is now available for Future Pinball. The sound bites, music and video included is simply amazing and probably breaking hundreds of Paramont Video copyright laws

Check out what strange object Picard sees onscreen in my video below, truly classic! FYI, I play future pinball with TrackIR installed on the headset so it follows your head movements when playing. This is the only pinball simulator out there that supports this tech. It takes the Pinball simulation to the next level as you can literally zoom in on the playfield, or in the case of STTNG move your head to line up the Cannon shots etc....

Get the table here:
    http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-4603-star_trek_-_the_next_generation_(20th_anniversary_edition)

Order TrackIR for your PC here:
    http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

#2 6 years ago

I'm patiently waiting for the pinball simulator that fixes pins.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

quote a few updates in the past 2 days (getaway might actually be playable). I have to say I'm not a star trek fan, but STTNG pinball really has a nice layout

#4 6 years ago

The Pinball Arcade. Available on Xbox, PlayStation, Android phones, iPhones, and Kindle. Xbox best version but unfortunately there have been publisher problems so they are behind on table releases. Many top rated tables available to pretend to play. i know nothing beats real life, but this game and their previous release on Xbox showed me what I've been missing out on all of these years, starting my pinball addiction. Just bought my first pin last week.

TPA may be the only chance I'll have to play some of the good ones since I'll never afford a MM or CV and no where near me has one.

#5 6 years ago

I play all of the above, but the Williams and gottlieb collections for the wii play really well, too.

Gotta Check out trackir. Concept seems cool...

What's your hardware configuration, Paulo?

#6 6 years ago

to bad FP has not seen much in the way of updates and it can't use roms.

#7 6 years ago

My PC is too old to handle Future or Visual pinball. But I do play just about every pin app available for my iPad. The Pinball Arcade is my favorite by a wide margin.

#8 6 years ago

I've played them all.

Future Pinball: Gorgeous full 3D graphics but terrible physics spoil many tables (some are worse than others). Doesn't use ROM images so the rules and sounds on solid state tables don't always work the way they should. From what I understand the developer has lost interest in this and the core software will probably never be updated again. Free.

Visual Pinball: Graphics are 2D, so no viewing-angle controls and tables are a mixed bag visually. Physics are generally much better than Future Pinball. Integrates with PinMAME, which means tables use the actual ROM images from solid state machines so everything works and sounds exactly as in real life. Free.

Pinball Arcade: Gorgeous full 3D graphics, the best physics of any of them. However, no control over the table settings, and you are limited to a handful of tables as compared to FP and VP which both have hundreds of tables available. Poor, limited nudging controls. No Windows version. Not free (but reasonably priced for the quality in my opinion).

Zen Pinball: Doesn't offer real-world tables so it doesn't interest me much. Cool special effects and reasonably good physics.

If you want to play DMD pins on a tablet, Mac, or gaming console, Pinball Arcade is the best choice, provided the game you want to play is one they offer and you don't mind coughing up a few bucks. If you want to play DMD pins on a Windows PC, Visual Pinball is the best choice. If you want to play EM pins on a Windows PC, Future Pinball is the best choice (although there are some good-quality EMs in Visual Pinball--check out Jacks Open).

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I know a couple people who work on The Pinball Arcade. The guys who run TPA wanted a feature where there was actual wear and tear on the cabinets and you could simulate parts acting differently depending on their condition. So if a machine is set to "just cleaned and waxed" the ball will fly across the playfield. But if a machine hasn't been 'cleaned' the ball will move slowly. They also wanted adjustable flipper strength and other physical features on the cabinets. So you could get a feel of what a cabinet is like after it's actually been broken in and played on. Rather than the cabinets playing the same after one play and ten thousand plays.

But they can't afford any of that as they have almost no budget at all. I'm sure programming all the machines to accurately simulate mechanical breakdowns would not be cheap. I know they've almost gone bankrupt and already lost one publisher which is why the X360 version hasn't been updated in forever. They've had to turn to crowdsource funding just to push out new tables on the other platforms. Still though it's a good product if you own something other than an Xbox 360 that is.

Pinball FX2 is fun as hell but it needs to have better nudging physics. When the ball is on the playfield you can barely control the movement. Outlane saves are damn near impossible. The slingshots are million times stronger than a full nudge so you can't counteract them at all either. Yet oddly enough death saves are almost braindead easy on any of the later tables. I'd say that 80% or more if a death save is possible I can get it cleanly with a double danger. And because the tables are programmed to let danger warnings wear off after a few seconds you aren't really penalized at all.

As far as I can tell, death saves are impossible on The Pinball Arcade. I've never been even close to getting one. You can tilt and then slam the cabinet ten more times and not come within an inch of a death save being successful. Odd physics once the ball has traveled through the outlanes.

#11 6 years ago

I play pinball arcade on I-pad. I went to Wal-Mart this morning and bought what I thought would be really cool a DUO pinball -app-supported pinball controller for I-pad. Got it home all excited. Then downloaded the app for it-pinball hd-no bueno. The flippers on app are twice the size they should be and tables available are really bad. The tables are all custom design and not good.

The DUO actually is a really cool system-it works off blue-tooth. I feel like contacting pinball arcade guys to get on board with DUO.

media-pinball1.jpg

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I play pinball arcade on I-pad. I went to Wal-Mart this morning and bought what I thought would be really cool a DUO pinball -app-supported pinball controller for I-pad. Got it home all excited. Then downloaded the app for it-pinball hd-no bueno. The flippers on app are twice the size they should be and tables available are really bad. The tables are all custom design and not good.
    The DUO actually is a really cool system-it works off blue-tooth. I feel like contacting pinball arcade guys to get on board with DUO.

They can't. It's exclusive to the only pin app it supports, I believe.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Prmailers:

I play all of the above, but the Williams and gottlieb collections for the wii play really well, too.
    Gotta Check out trackir. Concept seems cool...
    What's your hardware configuration, Paulo?

Hello, my gaming PC is currently an Alienware Aurora ALX I7-930, 2.8GHZ with 24GB of ram. The video card is a Nvidia 670 card with 2GB ram. Plays everything I throw at it and Future Pinball really flys at max settings!

#14 6 years ago

^^^^ I figured it was pretty badass. Suspicion confirmed!

#15 6 years ago

When I can't play real pinball, I'll play Pinball Arcade on my iPad. But it mostly just makes me sad and wish I had the real thing.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperTurbo:

I know a couple people who work on The Pinball Arcade. The guys who run TPA wanted a feature where there was actual wear and tear on the cabinets and you could simulate parts acting differently depending on their condition. So if a machine is set to "just cleaned and waxed" the ball will fly across the playfield. But if a machine hasn't been 'cleaned' the ball will move slowly. They also wanted adjustable flipper strength and other physical features on the cabinets. So you could get a feel of what a cabinet is like after it's actually been broken in and played on. Rather than the cabinets playing the same after one play and ten thousand plays.

Sounds like a poor way to make people pay more hay our game brakes down and you need to pay us to unlock the repair mode. Good thing they did not put that in.

With VP you can change the flipper power easily. And who will want to pay for locked down games that can feel like a beat up game on site?? when the free VP does not do that some VP tables even have easy build in menus to change the slope and some tables even let you add in prototype stuff that still works in the in the later roms that was cut from the real games due to cost.

VP also has home roms and even older prototype roms.

#17 6 years ago

I've been using vpinmame and visual pinball for a long time. I'd like to try some newer titles but it seems like they have not made any. I'm talking about Stern stuff say after 2005.

#18 6 years ago

All forms.

Thanks again Markmon for the pimped out hyperpin able to play them all =)

Few weeks ago he helped me hook up win8 and wifi to it so I can play fx2 games from the garage =)

#19 6 years ago

Pinball arcade for iPad and ipod

#20 6 years ago

PA on PS3!!!

#21 6 years ago

Anything I can get for my 3DS. I carry it around everywhere and can play 3D pinball anytime I get bored.

#22 6 years ago

Only Pinball arcade, I don't like the quality of future pinball and visual pinball. Zen pinball has some cool tables, but I don't know why, I don't really like playing them...

#23 6 years ago

VP, on desktop PC & pincab

PA, on epad, easy & nice to "play away"

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm waiting for one that stops working randomly and requires hours of simulated repair to play again. Features like realistic fuse checking, random short to ground repair would be awesome. But the real clincher would be the playfield wax/polish simulator.

#25 6 years ago

I don't play any, I downloaded one for my iPad so the kids could play on our vacation, I played a round or two with them. If pinball was a video game I wouldn't be a pinhead, I would be a gamer.

Pinball simulator party at my house!

#26 6 years ago

I play Pinball Arcade on my iPad the most and enjoy it. I never really gave Zen Pinball a chance until recently due to the fact they they do not have free tables. Well, that was a dumb reason as the tables even though they are fictional are actually a lot of fun and the physics aren't bad either.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 16.00
    $ 189.99
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Other
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside