2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ryanwanger
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi,

I do love pinball and started collecting a few tables over 5 years ago.
    I love the fact that new tables are still made, but I was floored by the sticker price.

I assume that they are that price due to operators investing in a money making business, however I think it is fair to say that the resurgence of the pinball market is more due to hobbyists rather than business operators.

As more new tables come to the market, perhaps the pin buying market reaches saturation and the demand starts to diminish in response to diminishing purchasing power.

With new tables reaching the cost of a car, I have to wonder how far will this go?

To that end, I wonder if any of the pinball companies, like JJP and stern, et al would consider something like a re conditioned market at a sub 5k price point.

As operators trade in for the newer tables there could be secondary market that would give hobbyists like myself who are not a fortune 500 the ability to enjoy them,and perhaps as the new tables come out and gain popularity and the back catalog expands, could there be the opportunity to move tables sold in pairs, could you imagine a JJP set of WOZ and Hobbit for 11K at some point in the future?

I think there is a far larger marketplace at the 5K price point and I appreciate that Stern is trying to access this market with the home edition pin, but I think they miss the target audience that is mostly hobbyists like myself that have enjoyed legacy titles with all the features and would consider a pin with a fewer features a missed opportunity.

I sincerely hope the new pinball manufacturers can access the market, perhaps with a reconditioned expansion of the business with an optional warranty service cost?, I think at some point it behooves the companies to expand their market share and introduce more people to pinball and perhaps have the tag line " one day every house will have a pinball table! "

what say you? do you think any of this could come to pass?

thanks for your time.

#2 2 years ago

I don't see it happening for a company like JJP or Stern. Too labor intensive. To refurbish could take longer than to make.

Maybe a smaller ma and pa type operation could make it work.

Not all games appreciate in value, so you'd be limited to what you can make money on.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Multimorphic game kits are supposed to be $1500-$3500 per playfield NIB. Much more reasonable.

#4 2 years ago

How many times can you say "tables" to describe a pinball machine in the one post? (seven in your case LOL).

Every time I read "tables" I DO NOT think of a pinball machine.

#5 2 years ago

Stop saying tables lol

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from stuartr7:

With new tables reaching the cost of a car,

If you aren't happy with some of the lessor priced tables that are already out there and really want brand new full featured tables but don't have enough money, the option is always there to not own a motorcar and use public transportation and put that money into any new full featured table of your liking.

#7 2 years ago

Price dicusission is so played out and we are all sick of it. Except for all of us.

But also I'm hearing that stern home version is a big flop. Again. They need to give up on this concept.

A retailer I'm familiar with has it marked down to $3500, hasn't sold a single one, and is sending theirs back to stern for store credit.

And stop calling them tables and stop whining about prices. For about $700 you can easily find a fun, solidly working commercial pinball machine for your house. As always there's something for everybody.

#8 2 years ago

There will never be a "table" in every home. It's a niche market. VR pinball however could be, and perhaps that'll increase the demand for bars/restaurants to get a few "tables" on location.

And honestly part of the appeal is that most people don't/can't have one in their home.

#9 2 years ago

Maybe draw up a table recording the prices of recent tables and we can get some discussion about future table prices on the table.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Maybe draw up a table recording the prices of recent tables and we can get some discussion about future table prices on the table.

And please table a report on it when you're done.

#11 2 years ago

What you are talking about kind of already exists. There are several companies that sell new and used games with warranty. Some like TNT also have trade in value so if you buy a new or used game from them and trade it in in a year or 2 you get a minimum of half the original purchase price. However, as others have stated. It's a small market. We are a very small percentage of the population that would even consider owning a pinball game.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from stuartr7:

As operators trade in for the newer tables there could be secondary market that would give hobbyists like myself who are not a fortune 500 the ability to enjoy them,and perhaps as the new tables come out and gain popularity and the back catalog expands, could there be the opportunity to move tables sold in pairs, could you imagine a JJP set of WOZ and Hobbit for 11K at some point in the future?

This has been available from primary distributors and dealers that are still operating more than 20-30 years since the 1980s.
    Granted, the number is much smaller than the past.
    You have to negotiate.
    It is not just the operators that trade in, but private owners as well.
    The problem is during "rough times" many small time dealers simply shutter their doors out of lack of sales, inventory, or ability to make a profit.
    Current production runs are quite small for titles, so that is not going to help the "old days method".
    The largest "chunk of change" out of JJP sales are home owners, not operators.
    Market shift.

Don't expect the dealers to provide good "offers" right now with the tidal wave market, let it settle down again, as it is slowly doing.
    I am sure dealers would give you "2 for 1" deals by handing them nice used games for one new game, and then flipping them for 300% profit. Still happens frequently with home owners.
    Even some normal brokers are being really offbeat with inventory stock currently, making excuses like "I cannot find any good quality machines", which is side mouth talk for "%#@! you, pay up, I don't care if you buy the game at more than its value".
    It is best to walk away.
    Some dealers have raised their prices 4-5 times in the past year alone, not even in line with manufacturers.

Although it may be a revelation, roughly less than 1 out every 10,000 people in the United States owns a pinball machine.
    The numbers in comparison to the world population are almost negligible.
    No "chicken in every pot" yet, and I do not see it ever happening.

Pinball is not going to grow beyond anywhere near the levels it sustained in the 1960-70s.
    You can quote me on this point.

#13 2 years ago

There are tons of dealers and retailers who already sell "re-conditioned" games (ie: used). They cost several hundred dollars or more over what you'd pay for those same games if bought from other collectors or via Craigslist. They cost more than you want to pay because having a business that lugs around used pinball machines and sets them in up a physical space to be worked on, looked at, and played is expensive, time consuming, and a lot of hard labor.

You said: "as operators trade in for the newer tables"...but I know most of the operators in my area, and they don't do this. They just list their games on Craigslist or sell to friends at whatever the current market will bear, which is at worst only a few hundred less than they paid NIB. In some cases, it's significantly more than they paid NIB.

The price you can pay for a pinball machine today ranges from $100 -> $30,000 and everywhere in between. I wish games were cheaper too, but I don't there is a magic business model that will suddenly shift demand down $1000 across the board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 64.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 27.99
    $ 1,000.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside