10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jgreene
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-8.jpeg
    #1 10 years ago

I've been thinking about the future of old pinball. Lets say between 10 and 30 years from now. There will be hard to get parts etc. some might sell new boards etc like rottendog etc. but could it be done in any other way?

Basically my idea is a universal interface cable/cables and a smart phone thingy. The phone or device would function as the CPU board and sound board and emulate many machines. I came to think of it when playing pinball arcade for ps3. The games are in the phone, what if I could hook up the phone to a real machine and play it. Of course the power driver board can't be emulated with a phone but maybe the rest... I have not thought about it so much but in some way it might be able to do =)

#2 10 years ago

I try not to worry to much about the future, but then again, I have one of these-

th-8.jpegth-8.jpeg

#3 10 years ago

Hehe cool.. eum.. what is it? Time machine?

Maybe I should trade my pinballs to one of these:
    http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2924/861/32307930002_large.jpg

#4 10 years ago

you can run a game on a pc and interface it to the machine with a proc

most of the parts in the games are fairly generic or can be replaced with similar parts and/or emulated in modern ucontrollers

i would be more worried about mechanical parts becoming NLA

#5 10 years ago

The electronics side of these games shouldn't be a major issue in the future. The driver boards are full of pretty standard stuff. The logic boards like DMD, sound etc are different, but there are already hardware solutions out there like PROC and software like PinMame. If someone was motivated I'm pretty sure they could come up with away to run a machine using a raspberry pi or Arduino with enough IO.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-old-pinball-interface-to-play-old-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.